RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Whitecaps FC to hold MLS Rally

Just got a correspondence from the Whitecaps front office tonight:
    Dear Craig,

As you are aware, we are pursuing one of two Major League Soccer (MLS) expansion franchises set to be added to the league by 2011. The deadline to submit our bid is October 15th and part of the requirements is to demonstrate local enthusiasm and support.

Our next match on September 7th at 7:00 pm will be "MLS Rally Night". You can be a part of our MLS Bid Book. All fans attending the match will receive a special Whitecaps Rally Card and will be ‘extras’ in audio/visual material that we produce for our official bid package that we send to MLS head office.

Tickets start at just $18 or enter to win free tickets by telling us why you think we should have an MLS franchise.

If you are already going to the game, pass along the word to your friends. Let’s pack Swangard with Whitecaps supporters and show MLS that the Whitecaps belong in the league!
    Sounds to me like the Whitecaps are doing all the right things for MLS entry. Things like spreading the word and getting the locals pumped at the prospect of top-flight soccer. Of course, it leads me to ask what exactly is Montreal doing?
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 09-03-2008 at 11:24 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good luck to them, can't wait to hat'em just as much as i do L'gimpact

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland deserves to be the next western team over the Shitecaps.

just sayin'.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post

just sayin'.
    How does Portland deserve to be in over Vancouver?

just askin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure a rally is going be as as effective as more concrete business related things. Like getting city approvals for a stadium. And.... and.... and... ok that's all I got

Seriously, Montreal's got the stadium expansion lined up, they're having a great run in the CONCACAF Champion's League, they've won USL-1 championships, and believe it or not TFC helps their bid via a huge huge rivalry. IMO Montreal's the obvious choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal and Vancouver should both be in the MLS. It only makes sense for Garber and his goons. They have made a great choice here in TO. Vancouver and Montreal already have good attendance and a great fan base. I can't wait for a Montreal v Toronto Derby. Only makes sense. And who cares about Portland.....there people probably think there getting a pointy ball team. There fans show up and a soccer game breaks out.....they will be lost.....lmao....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC4LIFE View Post
    How does Portland deserve to be in over Vancouver?

just askin'.
    stadium, support, attendance, market, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Support and Attendance maybe, but not the stadium, especially if Vancouver get their waterfront stadium (which would be essential to getting a team), Vancouver is a bigger market too.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just sayin'.
    I totally agree.

The Timbers have waaayyy better support and a better stadium plan and despite what Shitecaps fans think, Portland are Seattle's true rivals and would bring a great derby in to the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arbogast View Post
    I totally agree.

The Timbers have waaayyy better support and a better stadium plan and despite what Shitecaps fans think, Portland are Seattle's true rivals and would bring a great derby in to the league.

Vancouver has a great stadium plan:

1) move to BC place while Waterfront stadium is being build

2) Waterfront stadium

As for fan support, if you build it , they will come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tintin View Post

2) Waterfront stadium

Sorry but the waterfront stadium is going nowhere fast.
    it's mired in red tape and City council isn't moving on the issue.

BC place is bullshit. even with the proposed improvements, it's not an SSS, will have fieldturf (Portland will have an all grass SSS) and has a poor atmosphere. Seattle, for all it's success, should not have been allowed to play in a Gridiron Football stadium either. If Van City is serious, it should find another location for an SSS fast and get some fans out to their games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2) Waterfront stadium

Portland always has been a top contender in the USL. They have great history dating back to every major league that has been around in the US, including NASL. They are considered to have one of the best supporters groups in their league.

Why again should Vancouver get a team? Aside from being Canadian? Give me Montreal and Portland and I'd be happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver and Montreal all the way.. more Canadian teams will benefit our national football... since their is no professional league strictly Canadian.

look at the big picture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fetajr View Post
    Vancouver and Montreal all the way.. more Canadian teams will benefit our national football... since their is no professional league strictly Canadian.

look at the big picture
    I am looking at the big picture. Portland is a bigger and better organization than the Whitecaps. That's better for the league. Do you really believe there is enough Canadian talent to have three strong Canadian MLS teams? I'm not so sure personally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One word.

Grizzlies.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2) Waterfront stadium

The stadium is going elsewhere last thing I heard. I think they're gonna put it out in the suburbs (can't remember the name of the town). Luckily they're making sure it's on a transit line, though.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather have Portland than Vancouver in the league, I could care less for Vancouver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Vancouver and Montreal get in, but their respective FOs need to become more receptive to supporters' groups. MLS needs to be firm with this issue, as there are already too many teams that cater solely to the family crowd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just sayin'.
    agreed....let the caps sit on the fence for a few years....Montreal first as the next Canadian city....Caps in 2015!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see MLS heads watching the video of the crazy fans...

"Next up we have the Whitecaps"

"Screw them, lets move onto another city"

"Lets just watch this video first"

*press play*

"Wow, are those fans going crazy and waving MLS signs!"

"Ya"

"Shit, lets grant them a franchise"

LOL

Like someone mentioned already, I think its going to be more concrete shit like city/stadium business related items that will get you a franchise...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no matter how much they want one....

Until the 2010 Olympics are done, nothing else in the world of sports will matter to most people in Vancouver. Every construction worker is busy on the highway, stadiums and hotel construction. I can't see anything happening in Whitecap land until the winter games are gone.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    One word.

Grizzlies.
    The Grizzlies would have been fine if the NBA (read: David Stern) hadn't forced Stu Jackson on them.

olegunnar

just sayin'.

I'd argue St Louis since it's a bigger market but I think Portland would win out because 1) theres a successful history there and 2) it would be yet another good USL franchise MLS would steal.

I get that everyone wants Canadian teams in MLS, but we don't bring much to the table. Do we draw more fans at away matches than American teams? Nope. Do we get ESPN calling up MLS saying hey lets renegoiate the National television contract here in the US and give you more $$$$ since people in LA want to watch Toronto vs Montreal? Nope. Would CBC then assign a proportionally larger increase to MLS tv rights. Nope not while we get ratings of 40,000 people watching. Foxsports Northwest would probably pay more to do a Portland vs Seattle (with henry) game than CBC would pay for all the Canadian games.

From a $$ (and that's what the league is, a business) point of view I don't think Canadian teams bring a lot to the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Havng lived in Vancouver for 4 years, I can say there is nothing Vancouverites love more than clamouring for something and then not supporting it. Grizzlies were a disaster. Canucks tickets were easy to buy on game day for many years, and probably will be again now that the team sucks again. The Vancouver Canadians (baseball) even left for the USA. I wouldn't have much faith at all about a team surviving out there.
    I'd also wonder why any sane supporter would want ot be a part of MLS the way it is right now..... a completely poisoned chalice if you ask me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just sayin'.
    Can you please explain why? I'd love to hear this.

Well...let's see anyway.

- Whitecaps FC have solid plans to build their own stadium with private money. Temporarily it will play in $200m refurbished BC Place.

- They currently have the oldest club in North America.

- Solid investors.

- Backing by civic and Provincial governments.

- Historical fanbase. League champions 5 times.

- Local television coverage.

...and Portland? At this point it only has fans.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2) Waterfront stadium

I won't go.

I personnaly hope neither Montreal or Vancouver get a team This way we can say TFC is the best Canadaian team in the MLS.

If Montreal or Vancouver get a team than we will hav eto settle for being the 3rd best Canadain team in the MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    Havng lived in Vancouver for 4 years, I can say there is nothing Vancouverites love more than clamouring for something and then not supporting it. Grizzlies were a disaster. Canucks tickets were easy to buy on game day for many years, and probably will be again now that the team sucks again. The Vancouver Canadians (baseball) even left for the USA. I wouldn't have much faith at all about a team surviving out there.
    I'd also wonder why any sane supporter would want ot be a part of MLS the way it is right now..... a completely poisoned chalice if you ask me.
    You obviously didn't live there long enough. The Whitecaps have a great history and fan support in Vancouver. In fact they are only 4 years younger than the Canucks(albeit with two different ownerships). The team is not in the top flight of the sport hence it's popularity isn't as it once was. With an MLS franchise you can bet that Vancouver supporters will be behind the team as much as you would see in Toronto, perhaps more. Football and Vancouver is and always has been joined at the hip. I thought everyone knew this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grizzlies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vindaloo View Post
    You obviously didn't live there long enough. The Whitecaps have a great history and fan support in Vancouver. In fact they are only 4 years younger than the Canucks(albeit with two different ownerships). The team is not in the top flight of the sport hence it's popularity isn't as it once was. With an MLS franchise you can bet that Vancouver supporters will be behind the team as much as you would see in Toronto, perhaps more. Football and Vancouver is and always has been joined at the hip. I thought everyone knew this.
    Maybe so. I can't actually speak for the Whitecaps, but I'll believe it when I see it. The Pacific Mausoleum used to be horrendous for a hockey game, and nothing seemed to keep the Canadians at Nat Bailey.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is a big difference between a team that Vancouverites have supported since 1974 with a sport they have always supported to that of an American basketball franchise. It was never a good fit. The baseball thing was never going to be anything other than a minor league team playing out of tiny Nat Bailey stadium, which it still does.

Vancouver has never been big enough to support big league franchises like Toronto. It's only big enough to support NHL, CFL, and the Whitecaps. It's been like this for decades and won't change any time soon. In other words, MSL is a perfect fit for Vancouver. Anyone from there would tell you the same thing.