RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Today’s News, Wednesday , Sept.03

Toronto train with 13-man squad

Reds without nine internationals
    Toronto FC trained on Tuesday at BMO Field with only thirteen players in the squad. Coach John Carver is without nine players who are away on international duty, leaving him with big problems ahead of Saturday's home game against Chivas USA. "I've had some challenges in my life, but I've never had anything like this," said Carver. "We have played games with six or seven players missing, like when we beat L.A. earlier this season, but this time Julius James and Marvell Wynne got call-ups and Jarrod Smith is also away with New Zealand. Whatever team we put out there, we need the fans to get right behind the players, support them, and give them the best possible opportunity to get something out of the game. We will all be fighting for the cause."
    "I've hardly been able to work with a consistent team all season because we keep losing players to internationals. To be honest, we played on Saturday with what was probably our strongest team of the season and we were dreadful, but there haven't been many times this season when I have been able to put my strongest team on the field."

Read more

Hemming asks for release from Toronto FC
    LARRY MILLSON

TORONTO — Toronto FC, already depleted by nine international call-ups for this weekend's World Cup qualifying qualifiers, has lost another player.
    Head coach John Carver said after Tuesday's training at BMO Field that Canadian midfielder Tyler Hemming has asked for his release.
    “So there's another man down,” Carver said. “I said to Tyler Hemming if you don't want to be here then there's no way I'm going to get on my hands and knees and beg you to stay. But you're not helping your teammates out. It's his request, he wants to go.”
    Little-used Hemming, 23, has played in three Major League Soccer games for TFC this season.
    It comes at a time when Toronto is having problems putting out a representative team for Saturday's MLS match against Chivas USA at BMO Field. Toronto had asked the league for a postponement but it was not granted.
    “This is an extreme circumstance,” he said. “I'm baffled, I really am.”
    Most leagues shut down for international dates such as World Cup qualifiers but MLS does not, citing scheduling problems that come from operating from late March until early November. Commissioner Don Garber said last week the league is continuing to study the challenges presented by scheduling, including MLS participation in tournaments.

Read more

Impact reach group stage in Champions League

The Montreal Impact have advanced to the group stage of the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League.
    The Impact held Nicaraguan champion Real Esteli FC to a 0-0 draw Tuesday night in the second leg of their preliminary round playoff.
    Coupled with last Wednesday's 1-0 triumph in the first leg at Montreal's Saputo Stadium, the scoreless tie was enough for the Impact to advance on aggregate.
    "Even if it was not our best performance, we're glad to move to the next round," Impact coach John Limniatis said. "We did very well defensively."
    Tuesday's second leg was played at Carlos Miranda Stadium in Comayagua, Honduras, because Nicaragua doesn't have a venue that meets the requirements of FIFA, soccer's world governing body.

Read more

Marshall to face Mexico, Honduras
    Reds defender away with Jamaica

Tyrone Marshall is one of nine Toronto FC players on international duty this week. The defender is on the Jamaica squad for World Cup Qualifiers against Mexico and Honduras. Marshall was ruled out of Jamaica's opening game of the group stage with injury as Jamaica drew 1-1 with Canada. The Reds defender believes the draw at BMO Field was a positive start. "Anytime you play away from home and pick up a point it is always a good result," said Marshall. "It is a particularly important point because all of the teams are very competitive and it's a strong group that we are in."

Read more

Canada arrives in Montréal
    Coach Dale Mitchell and his troops have arrived in Montréal in anticipation of this Saturday’s 6 September match against Honduras. The team had its first training session this morning with the first group of players that arrived over the weekend.

'We had nine players (this morning) and we will get a good portion of guys throughout the rest of the day,' said Mitchell after the team’s two-hour practice at the Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard. 'We should be very close to full strength tomorrow and should have everyone by Wednesday.'

Canada is playing six matches against three teams in Stage III of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ Qualifiers. Three of those matches are in Canada: 20 August against Jamaica in Toronto (a 1:1 draw), 6 September against Honduras in Montréal (admission.com or 514.790.1245) and 15 October against Mexico in Edmonton (Ticketmaster.ca / 780.451.8000)

Read more

Players looking forward to Saturday's home crowd

Canada had another day of training under the Montréal sun as the team continues its preparations for Saturday's FIFA World Cup Qualifiers match against Honduras. The 6 September match kicks off at 20.00 ET at Stade Saputo.

"It will be a real tough game come Saturday," said captain Paul Stalteri. "Honduras is playing as good as anyone in the region right now. Saturday is a big one for us."

"I think Honduras will be one of our toughest opponents, if not tougher than Mexico," said Stalteri. "They are peaking at the right time, coming on really strong in the last year. They have some really quick players, so it will not be an easy game for us."

Ticket sales to the 6 September match have been fantastic, so a full red crowd is expected for the Stade Saputo match. As was the case with the first two FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers in Canada earlier this year, Saturday's partisan crowd will be red and loud in support of the national team.

"In Toronto, it was a fantastic crowd," said Stalteri.

Read more

SUNSHINE
    Last edited by denime; 09-03-2008 at 06:07 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    “I said to Tyler Hemming if you don't want to be here then there's no way I'm going to get on my hands and knees and beg you to stay. But you're not helping your teammates out. It's his request, he wants to go.”
    so long!
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto had asked the league for a postponement but it was not granted.

- someone tell me why I bother to watch this league..
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow...here is your chance to get some playing time and this is when you choose to leave?

He will be fighting the stigma of bailing out on his team for the rest of his career...which from what I have seen will be short but not sweet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Hemming decision makes no sense. he could have plyed a lot in the coming games. There is something else going on. I think the boat is sinking...Mo and Carver are loosing he room. This season is becoming a joke on all aspects. Resuluts, recruiting, national pride, issues with the league that we keep on losing (Mc Bride, postponmend of game...), the filed issue and so on. The only positive for TFC is teh fans!!!!

I know it is only year 2 but we need better management and structure in the organisation. I don't think Mo and Carver have a clue how to run a tam in North America. We need a GM and a coach from here.

We need change and fast!!! is TFC going to become the Leafs and watch the Impact ( Montreal) have success in the MLS?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long has the impact been around?
    You really think that Hemming left because he thinks the boat is sinking?
    Whats going on is hes never going to get first team and hes impatient, thats whats going on

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Hemming leaves a tough situation to go where? Unless he already has a place in mind, which I doubt since his last foray away from TFC was so successful.

And let's be serious...this whole "TFC becoming the Leafs" is so cliche. It's hokey. 2nd year team has some struggles because of the stupid MLS ignoring the FIFA calendar and because of some choices about the setup (read: Turf) and we are the Leafs?

Come talk to me when we've gone 40 years without an MLS cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Come talk to me when we've gone 40 years without an MLS cup.
    I'll cheer for Columbus long before I wait 40 years for the MLS Cup! All I want is a team that is competitive!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the Impact game last night.
    It was unattractive, boring, defensive soccer. The Impact shut down the game from the beginning, aiming for 0-0 which they got. the only excitement came when Esteli's striker let go a screamer that nearly went in (hit the crossbar).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Watched the Impact game last night.
    It was unattractive, boring, defensive soccer. The Impact shut down the game from the beginning, aiming for 0-0 which they got. the only excitement came when Esteli's striker let go a screamer that nearly went in (hit the crossbar).

But that is exactly my point on the other thred (impact estreli). They have a system that works for them at this point and it BRINGS RESULTS.

TFC does not have a system that works!!!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
    But that is exactly my point on the other thred (impact estreli). They have a system that works for them at this point and it BRINGS RESULTS.

Exactly,what count at the end is result,so who cares if game was boring they went trough.
    Their coaching stuff knows what Tactic to use,a word that seems to be a very strange to TFC Technical stuff.

TFC and Tactic
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly,what count at the end is result,so who cares if game was boring they went trough.
    Their coaching stuff knows what Tactic to use,a word that seems to be a very strange to TFC Technical stuff.

TFC and Tactic

Not only to they hav tactics and a system but the organisation brought in 5 new players in the last 2-3 weeks due to injuries and a busier sched (CC). Those plyers like Byers (plyer of the week in USL in his second week of play!!) are having an impact (pardon the pun). So they have tactics and scouting.

WOW, what a novel idea!!! Mo and Jhon, where are you?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post It's 'extreme hardship'

Found one more article!

It's 'extreme hardship'

TFC loses nine players to international duty, but MLS won't postpone game
    By DEAN MCNULTY, SUN MEDIA

The question of the day at BMO Field yesterday as Toronto FC was preparing for Saturday's match against Chivas USA was who would coach John Carver start at the back end of the pitch?
    The answer was right out of the old Abbot and Costello bit: Who's at centre back, What's at left back and I don't know at right back.
    "I've had some challenges in my life," Carver said. "But never have I faced a situation like I'm facing this week."
    The situation Carver speaks of is that he has lost nine players to international duty as qualifying starts this week for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa leaving him with only one starting defender -- Marco Velez -- on his roster.
    And TFC's pleas to Major League Soccer that the Saturday game be postponed have fallen on deaf ears.
    According to Sun Media sources close to the situation, Chivas USA had sent word to the league that it would not object to such a postponement.
    "This is what I consider a case of extreme hardship," Carver said. "Right now I'm calling around looking to get players on loan so I can fill out a game sheet."

READ MORE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found one more article!

It's 'extreme hardship'

TFC loses nine players to international duty, but MLS won't postpone game
    By DEAN MCNULTY, SUN MEDIA

The question of the day at BMO Field yesterday as Toronto FC was preparing for Saturday's match against Chivas USA was who would coach John Carver start at the back end of the pitch?
    The answer was right out of the old Abbot and Costello bit: Who's at centre back, What's at left back and I don't know at right back.
    "I've had some challenges in my life," Carver said. "But never have I faced a situation like I'm facing this week."
    The situation Carver speaks of is that he has lost nine players to international duty as qualifying starts this week for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa leaving him with only one starting defender -- Marco Velez -- on his roster.
    And TFC's pleas to Major League Soccer that the Saturday game be postponed have fallen on deaf ears.
    According to Sun Media sources close to the situation, Chivas USA had sent word to the league that it would not object to such a postponement.
    "This is what I consider a case of extreme hardship," Carver said. "Right now I'm calling around looking to get players on loan so I can fill out a game sheet."

READ MORE

WOW. MLS is BS. If the other team agrees...That is ridiculous. People have paid good money and they will see a aemi pro product. Some of those players would not even play in USL 1!!!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair though, Montreal had some defensive lapses that a better team would have exploited. Real Esteli had a breakaway at one point due to the defense being forward too far on a corner-kick. Esteli couldn't capitalize on their opportunity, though.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone. . please.

What are the positives at this juncture?

I say next game, bmo shol dofferHalf price beer!

at least that way by the time we get to the 60' we wont give fuck how bad we are being beaten, batteed andembarrssed.
    Wach. . now tha tI say that, we will pull out some miracle win. HAHA and no first-teamers!

WALK ON
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS MTL cn eat the fattest cock. A . if we DID go through would we be in the same spot?

No.

Still, there is no way want to see any sucess go MTL's way.

FUCK OFF.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only to they hav tactics and a system but the organisation brought in 5 new players in the last 2-3 weeks due to injuries and a busier sched (CC). Those plyers like Byers (plyer of the week in USL in his second week of play!!) are having an impact (pardon the pun). So they have tactics and scouting.

WOW, what a novel idea!!! Mo and Jhon, where are you?
    With the cap restriction in the MLS, we can't do that.
    Maybe when the CBA is renegotiated we'll gain some latitude there, but you're comparing apple to oranges in this case.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS has mental problems!
    Get yer act together Garber!
    Rename the league "Mickey Mouse" if you don't plan on showcasing decent talent!
    Fix the schedule!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can waive players and sign others. Maybe not 5 but you can make 1 or 2 moves. And, you can fire the coach!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    PS MTL cn eat the fattest cock. A . if we DID go through would we be in the same spot?

No.

Still, there is no way want to see any sucess go MTL's way.

FUCK OFF.

Fair enough. I like your passion and realism!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can waive players and sign others. Maybe not 5 but you can make 1 or 2 moves. And, you can fire the coach!!!!
    The last thing we need is that kind of instability at this point. We would end up like NYRB.

What we really need to fire is the fieldturf. Look at just 2 players who wouldn't play for us due to the turf. O'Brien and Huckerby. Both Mo selections, and tearing up the league. Ives says that San Jose has the best midfield in MLS. That should have been our midfield. Who knows who else wouldn't play for us due to the turf? Media reports were 7 players.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    With the cap restriction in the MLS, we can't do that.
    Maybe when the CBA is renegotiated we'll gain some latitude there, but you're comparing apple to oranges in this case.
    Exactly. Montreal has acted like a team gaining promotion in a Euro league. With the CCL cash coming in, they have bought themselves some good players. Impossible to do under MLS with the current restrictions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are (rightfully) pissed that MLS won't postpone the game but come one, FIFA dates are fixed years in advance, MLS dates are fixed long before transfer deadlines close and *every* team in the league manages to cope... except us.

This game on Saturday shouldn't matter *at all!* I'm willing to be that the plan was to snag enough points from the regular season that it wouldn't matter that we would have to field a reserve side twice in the season. But Dichio, Tebily and Dunivent got hurt, Cunnigham became the invisible striker, and Robert took a July holiday so the plan went off the rails.

Call me an apologist, or whatever, but if we were free and clear in 3rd or 4th with almost no chance of *missing* the playoffs we'd all be sitting around here speculating as to which reserve player was going to make the biggest name for himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Hemming decision makes no sense. he could have plyed a lot in the coming games. There is something else going on. I think the boat is sinking...Mo and Carver are loosing he room. This season is becoming a joke on all aspects. Resuluts, recruiting, national pride, issues with the league that we keep on losing (Mc Bride, postponmend of game...), the filed issue and so on. The only positive for TFC is teh fans!!!!

I know it is only year 2 but we need better management and structure in the organisation. I don't think Mo and Carver have a clue how to run a tam in North America. We need a GM and a coach from here.

We need change and fast!!! is TFC going to become the Leafs and watch the Impact ( Montreal) have success in the MLS?
    Don Cherry is that you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bangersandmash View Post
    People are (rightfully) pissed that MLS won't postpone the game but come one, FIFA dates are fixed years in advance, MLS dates are fixed long before transfer deadlines close and *every* team in the league manages to cope... except us.

This game on Saturday shouldn't matter *at all!* I'm willing to be that the plan was to snag enough points from the regular season that it wouldn't matter that we would have to field a reserve side twice in the season. But Dichio, Tebily and Dunivent got hurt, Cunnigham became the invisible striker, and Robert took a July holiday so the plan went off the rails.

Call me an apologist, or whatever, but if we were free and clear in 3rd or 4th with almost no chance of *missing* the playoffs we'd all be sitting around here speculating as to which reserve player was going to make the biggest name for himself.
    Which other team is facing NINE players out of the lineup?

Fine you'll say, we should know that they'll miss the games with International call-ups. So we should grab lesser players to ensure that they don't get called up to their national teams?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The last thing we need is that kind of instability at this point. We would end up like NYRB.

What we really need to fire is the fieldturf. Look at just 2 players who wouldn't play for us due to the turf. O'Brien and Huckerby. Both Mo selections, and tearing up the league. Ives says that San Jose has the best midfield in MLS. That should have been our midfield. Who knows who else wouldn't play for us due to the turf? Media reports were 7 players.
    Don't bother. The Mo-hadists could care less about the fact that two of the best players in the league passed on Toronto because of the fieldturf. That's MLSE's fault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Red View Post
    Which other team is facing NINE players out of the lineup?

Fine you'll say, we should know that they'll miss the games with International call-ups. So we should grab lesser players to ensure that they don't get called up to their national teams?
    What's funny is that the team will be missing so many players from so many different countries - none of them European - and the complaint here is that the team is too Euro-centered.

Clearly we need more players like Danny D and Ricketts who won't get called up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like nobody here has done the math, including Mo. TFC are training with 13 guys, and they've lost 9 to international callups.

That's 24 players. Last time I checked, the max MLS roster size is 28. Anybody else think 4 more players might have helped us at this time?

I agree, MLS is fucked up for scheduling things like this but every other team deals with it.

And at the end of the day, what does it matter? TFC gave up on this season a long time ago.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Seems like nobody here has done the math, including Mo. TFC are training with 13 guys, and they've lost 9 to international callups.

That's 24 players. Last time I checked, the max MLS roster size is 28. Anybody else think 4 more players might have helped us at this time?

I agree, MLS is fucked up for scheduling things like this but every other team deals with it.

And at the end of the day, what does it matter? TFC gave up on this season a long time ago.

Hmmm where to start,how about 13+9=22,not 24.

22+injuries(Nana,Dunivant)+Hemming = 25

MLS roster size is 28,but TFC has only 25

TFC Roster
    Last edited by denime; 09-03-2008 at 11:53 AM.