RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Today’s News, Wednesday , Sept.03

Toronto train with 13-man squad

Reds without nine internationals
    Toronto FC trained on Tuesday at BMO Field with only thirteen players in the squad. Coach John Carver is without nine players who are away on international duty, leaving him with big problems ahead of Saturday's home game against Chivas USA. "I've had some challenges in my life, but I've never had anything like this," said Carver. "We have played games with six or seven players missing, like when we beat L.A. earlier this season, but this time Julius James and Marvell Wynne got call-ups and Jarrod Smith is also away with New Zealand. Whatever team we put out there, we need the fans to get right behind the players, support them, and give them the best possible opportunity to get something out of the game. We will all be fighting for the cause."
    "I've hardly been able to work with a consistent team all season because we keep losing players to internationals. To be honest, we played on Saturday with what was probably our strongest team of the season and we were dreadful, but there haven't been many times this season when I have been able to put my strongest team on the field."

Read more

Hemming asks for release from Toronto FC
    LARRY MILLSON

TORONTO — Toronto FC, already depleted by nine international call-ups for this weekend's World Cup qualifying qualifiers, has lost another player.
    Head coach John Carver said after Tuesday's training at BMO Field that Canadian midfielder Tyler Hemming has asked for his release.
    “So there's another man down,” Carver said. “I said to Tyler Hemming if you don't want to be here then there's no way I'm going to get on my hands and knees and beg you to stay. But you're not helping your teammates out. It's his request, he wants to go.”
    Little-used Hemming, 23, has played in three Major League Soccer games for TFC this season.
    It comes at a time when Toronto is having problems putting out a representative team for Saturday's MLS match against Chivas USA at BMO Field. Toronto had asked the league for a postponement but it was not granted.
    “This is an extreme circumstance,” he said. “I'm baffled, I really am.”
    Most leagues shut down for international dates such as World Cup qualifiers but MLS does not, citing scheduling problems that come from operating from late March until early November. Commissioner Don Garber said last week the league is continuing to study the challenges presented by scheduling, including MLS participation in tournaments.

Read more

Impact reach group stage in Champions League

The Montreal Impact have advanced to the group stage of the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League.
    The Impact held Nicaraguan champion Real Esteli FC to a 0-0 draw Tuesday night in the second leg of their preliminary round playoff.
    Coupled with last Wednesday's 1-0 triumph in the first leg at Montreal's Saputo Stadium, the scoreless tie was enough for the Impact to advance on aggregate.
    "Even if it was not our best performance, we're glad to move to the next round," Impact coach John Limniatis said. "We did very well defensively."
    Tuesday's second leg was played at Carlos Miranda Stadium in Comayagua, Honduras, because Nicaragua doesn't have a venue that meets the requirements of FIFA, soccer's world governing body.

Read more

Marshall to face Mexico, Honduras
    Reds defender away with Jamaica

Tyrone Marshall is one of nine Toronto FC players on international duty this week. The defender is on the Jamaica squad for World Cup Qualifiers against Mexico and Honduras. Marshall was ruled out of Jamaica's opening game of the group stage with injury as Jamaica drew 1-1 with Canada. The Reds defender believes the draw at BMO Field was a positive start. "Anytime you play away from home and pick up a point it is always a good result," said Marshall. "It is a particularly important point because all of the teams are very competitive and it's a strong group that we are in."

Read more

Canada arrives in Montréal
    Coach Dale Mitchell and his troops have arrived in Montréal in anticipation of this Saturday’s 6 September match against Honduras. The team had its first training session this morning with the first group of players that arrived over the weekend.

'We had nine players (this morning) and we will get a good portion of guys throughout the rest of the day,' said Mitchell after the team’s two-hour practice at the Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard. 'We should be very close to full strength tomorrow and should have everyone by Wednesday.'

Canada is playing six matches against three teams in Stage III of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ Qualifiers. Three of those matches are in Canada: 20 August against Jamaica in Toronto (a 1:1 draw), 6 September against Honduras in Montréal (admission.com or 514.790.1245) and 15 October against Mexico in Edmonton (Ticketmaster.ca / 780.451.8000)

Read more

Players looking forward to Saturday's home crowd

Canada had another day of training under the Montréal sun as the team continues its preparations for Saturday's FIFA World Cup Qualifiers match against Honduras. The 6 September match kicks off at 20.00 ET at Stade Saputo.

"It will be a real tough game come Saturday," said captain Paul Stalteri. "Honduras is playing as good as anyone in the region right now. Saturday is a big one for us."

"I think Honduras will be one of our toughest opponents, if not tougher than Mexico," said Stalteri. "They are peaking at the right time, coming on really strong in the last year. They have some really quick players, so it will not be an easy game for us."

Ticket sales to the 6 September match have been fantastic, so a full red crowd is expected for the Stade Saputo match. As was the case with the first two FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers in Canada earlier this year, Saturday's partisan crowd will be red and loud in support of the national team.

"In Toronto, it was a fantastic crowd," said Stalteri.

Read more

SUNSHINE
    Last edited by denime; 09-03-2008 at 06:07 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !