Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default For Club or Country - Which would you prefer at this point and why?

If you could only choose one:

TFC Makes it into the playoffs this year and go for the cup

or

Canada qualifies for WC 2010

Why?

----
    My Choice:

Canada for 2010:

I want to be able to take my support down to South Africa and watch my country compete in the biggest soccer event in the world, and have the rest of the world finally see that we can once again compete on such a stage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada.

TFC has for chances at the cup for every one of Canada in the World Cup. Plus TFC can alter their roster every year to make necessary adjustments, with random players from all over the world.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

I_AM_CANADIAN

In my opinion, in a World Cup qualifying year, your country has to be the priority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

club. not all of us are canadian or canada supporters but we're all TFC supporters. i wish canada the best, but they are #3 on my list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada. In the amount of time it takes for Canada to reach one World Cup, TFC has 4 chances at winning the MLS Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deschamp86 View Post
    Canada. In the amount of time it takes for Canada to reach one World Cup, TFC has 4 chances at winning the MLS Cup.
    What he said.

The World Cup is also a million times grander than the MLS cup and it'll mean much more to soccer supporters across the country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Country over club at all times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deschamp86 View Post
    QFT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kickit09 View Post
    club. not all of us are canadian or canada supporters but we're all TFC supporters. i wish canada the best, but they are #3 on my list.
    Same here. But if it's a question of country(whatever country someone supports) vs club, then I would go for country easily. Canada unfortunately is down the list a bit for myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why isnt there a poll?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great topic..!

Its really interesting to see the Support for COunrty. but then again....we do cheer for a club wich is fairly new.!!

If this same topic was to be posted abroad...with supporters with years of history... years of passion for a team they have followed since boy hood...past onto generation to generations...from those before him......You might be shocked that the majority would choose CLUB! We as supporters will never be at that stage...to have the balls to pick club over country...but i can tell you for fact...Many outside the North American stage.....it will always be Club over country! IVe talked to supporters from England ....and a few Croatians i met at euro2004....they would go to the death for there club! Cheering for there country was a bonus!

In saying that...i would choose country because im not at that stage with tfc!

Hmmmm! wouldnt a trip to South Africa be amazing to see our boys at WC2010
    Last edited by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB; 09-02-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Country first. Club second.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC has given me more highlights in the past 1.75 seasons than Canada has in ages.

Honestly, why would I have to choose? I want them both to win.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada all the way! Even though I wasn't born here and I only came here 5 years ago, Canada is my home now and I'm truly grateful to be here.
    Go Canada!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada. It's in our blood. I'm Canadian first and TFC supporter second. Plus the World Cup is every 4 years we have the rest of the time to devote our time and effort for TFC.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not this again...

Anyways Canada. But I still want TFC to do well though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada WC no question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Club ALWAYS over country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada WC would be epic.
    Nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see Canada in South Africa in 2010 but this weekend I will be at BMO.

To be honest, I have never really followed the CMNT until this year. Up until last year, I have never had a club to call my own....sure I support United and always will but that's my fathers club. IMO, it is Club over Country....as it should be for the players, that is who pays their salary.

Playing for your Country is an honor but not at the price MLS is putting on it.

my 0.02.

Dom.

p.s. this is an age old question that men will go to war for fighting for their beliefs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't born here but as a long-time football fan, at this point, there is only one answer - Canada qualifying is more important IMO. It would be absolutely amazing in so many aspects. To say that Canada qualifying comes second to TFC making the playoffs is very short-sighted IMO. TFC has the chance of making the playoffs next year, the following year, etc.

A Canadian WC Qualification not only would be great as Canada is the native and adopted country of many here, but also for the longer term growth of the sport in this country, and thus it would be of great benefit to TFC itself!

The exposure to the sport through national pride would skyrocket. Canadians would realize there are other sports other than Hockey! Canadian main stream media might take notice, new sponsors, more kids would stick with the sport instead of ditching it for hockey. Non-football fans would take notice, pay more respect. The government as well as the private sector might see it beneficial to invest more in the sport in this country. Grass at BMO! More stadiums around the world, more pressure support to put another Canadian team in the MLS to repeat the qualification and go further in the tournament, Canada hosting WC realistic in the future? etc, etc.

Canada qualifying to the WC would give the sport a huge boost all over the country. Not just in Toronto. It would benefit TFC fans and CMNT fans alike!
    Last edited by loconet; 09-02-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s a bit of an ‘apples and oranges’ question. Canada qualifying for the World Cup is more akin to TFC winning the league than qualifying for the playoffs.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hands down Canada.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada, without question.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If by "club" you mean "strip club"...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In spite of the CSA, COUNTRY before club!

Gold cups have been entertaining and loaded with typical CONCACAF drama

I've lived in the US, Finland, France - and I'm moving back to the States, long term, this time to teach

I'll always be Canadian

I'm a footie fanatic, a futbal-a-holic - already cost me my first decent job and just recently, a relationship with not quite the perfect woman - oh well, I'll get over it with the newly acquired subscription to yet another satelite provider - more footie, all the time

I remember getting hooked on to MLS, Mo was playing for the Wizards, even remember attending a match he played in - he was 35 or 36 at the time I think, and a goal scoring machine at that

anyway I've never much cared for 1 team over another, as long as it's football

MLSE, is the Leafs and Raptors, and they are crap
    TFC are too new but very much a hallmark of the MLSE brand
    but it's good to finally have a local team in the picture but my loyalty, respect and unquestioned support are earned, and a season and a half just hasn't done it for me

Down the road I'm turnin' 30, does life get any better than this

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always believe country comes before club when it comes to world cup or any other type of international competition ie Gold Cup, Olympics etcs., I really think it has come to the point where MLS respects these dates and does not get in the way of its teams fielding competitive squads. Thats another issue but I just think national duty is something of honour.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an easy one for me as Country comes before club...but TFC is a close second.....
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts