Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Some quick and obvious proof the Ricketts haters are full of it

Okay, in an effort to make sure I'm not completely mad and on the strict belief that those attending live are seeing a different game from those of us watching on TV, a few points on Mr. Rohan Ricketts, who is currently taking a concerted pounding from certain fans on this board over yesterday's game.

I just watched the first 15 minutes from the MLSLivetv archive of the cbc game (probably still on CBC's site too) and I suggest those who've been saying they're unimpressed by Ricketts go back and take another look.

This is from the first 15 minutes of yesterday's game alone, which is about how long it took to conclusively prove you're full of shit if you think he's not a quality winger. I'll stick the positives on the left, the negatives on the right:

3:33 - Creates the first chance of the
    the game with a long through ball to Dichio

4:27 - Gets his head to a loose ball, nods it
    into the box, where Dichio feeds Guevara for
    the second major chance of the game.

6:27 - Cross to far post is just cleared out by
    Schellotto tracking back, almost falls to Guevara
    for tap in, DeVos calls Ricketts' cross "dangerous."

9:19 - Pushes in another cross that Guevara almost
    gets on and forces three crew back into the box
    to clear
    ----------------------------9:37 - Is caught too far forward as Robinson
    ----------------------------tries to link up defense and mid, Robinson has
    ----------------------------to backtrack and switch field instead.

----------------------------10:42 - Switches to left side, first and
    ----------------------------second passes are both back to defense.

12:07 - Runs a give and go with Dichio
    that turns into a switch field and creates
    good TO offensive move

-----------------------------12:54 - Is too far wide on left when the play
    -----------------------------is in mid-field.

-----------------------------13:02 - hard fouls Hejduk

14:52 - Beats two men in the corner on
    the dribble and feeds ball to Brennan
    heading into the box for a good chance.

The guy was absolute class until he was switched to the left, at which point he was STILL effective, just not destroying Columbus on the run anymore, because he was being well covered by Hejduk. That's it, that's all. Keep watching the remainder of the game and I guarantee you'll see this pattern continue: three or four really good, productive moments before one bad play.

I'll take that ratio. Yes, he'll never be Laurent Robert. But people are forgetting that at his Newcastle peak four years ago, Robert was considered a world class player; he wasn't joking when he said he's better than Beckham, because in some respects he is (with temperament being an area Becks has, traditionally, had somewhat better control over).

But Ricketts is still a very good winger, and I think we should feel bloody lucky to have him. Andy Welsh he ain't.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love what this guy brings.

We are a better team with him in the lineup.

Haters are haters, but this is a fact that we cannot get away from.

Yeah...he has his flaws...find me a player who doesn't...even in the top flights of Europe!

And I made that point about Welsh in a post somewhere else as well...when you consider at this point last year we had Welshy...THANK YOU RICKETTS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Okay, in an effort to make sure I'm not completely mad and on the strict belief that those attending live are seeing a different game from those of us watching on TV, a few points on Mr. Rohan Ricketts, who is currently taking a concerted pounding from certain fans on this board over yesterday's game.

I just watched the first 15 minutes from the MLSLivetv archive of the cbc game (probably still on CBC's site too) and I suggest those who've been saying they're unimpressed by Ricketts go back and take another look.

This is from the first 15 minutes of yesterday's game alone, which is about how long it took to conclusively prove you're full of shit if you think he's not a quality winger. I'll stick the positives on the left, the negatives on the right:

3:33 - Creates the first chance of the
    the game with a long through ball to Dichio

4:27 - Gets his head to a loose ball, nods it
    into the box, where Dichio feeds Guevara for
    the second major chance of the game.

6:27 - Cross to far post is just cleared out by
    Schellotto tracking back, almost falls to Guevara
    for tap in, DeVos calls Ricketts' cross "dangerous."

9:19 - Pushes in another cross that Guevara almost
    gets on and forces three crew back into the box
    to clear
    ----------------------------9:37 - Is caught too far forward as Robinson
    ----------------------------tries to link up defense and mid, Robinson has
    ----------------------------to backtrack and switch field instead.

----------------------------10:42 - Switches to left side, first and
    ----------------------------second passes are both back to defense.

12:07 - Runs a give and go with Dichio
    that turns into a switch field and creates
    good TO offensive move

-----------------------------12:54 - Is too far wide on left when the play
    -----------------------------is in mid-field.

-----------------------------13:02 - hard fouls Hejduk

14:52 - Beats two men in the corner on
    the dribble and feeds ball to Brennan
    heading into the box for a good chance.

The guy was absolute class until he was switched to the left, at which point he was STILL effective, just not destroying Columbus on the run anymore, because he was being well covered by Hejduk. That's it, that's all. Keep watching the remainder of the game and I guarantee you'll see this pattern continue: three or four really good, productive moments before one bad play.

I'll take that ratio. Yes, he'll never be Laurent Robert. But people are forgetting that at his Newcastle peak four years ago, Robert was considered a world class player; he wasn't joking when he said he's better than Beckham, because in some respects he is (with temperament being an area Becks has, traditionally, had somewhat better control over).

But Ricketts is still a very good winger, and I think we should feel bloody lucky to have him. Andy Welsh he ain't.
    Good work, and I hope its gets some people off RR back, because theres a few of the guys who are slacking it alot worse then him, but since they were here before they are above reprive I guess.

Also dont forget, this is what, RR 4th game with us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are going to naturally gravitate to him as the whipping boy whether he deserves it or not, because he came in at the same time as Robert and Guevara, who are both international-calibre players, and also because he's very workman-like. But I don't care if his personality is reserved on the field, as long as he's effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome work man. I completely agree 100% with everyone you just said. I get exited when he has the ball because he makes me feel comfortable that he'll make something happen. People comparing him to Welsh really have no idea about this sport. Then again, it's the same people saying Robert sucked yesterday and Dichio was good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Awesome work man. I completely agree 100% with everyone you just said. I get exited when he has the ball because he makes me feel comfortable that he'll make something happen. People comparing him to Welsh really have no idea about this sport. Then again, it's the same people saying Robert sucked yesterday and Dichio was good
    /signed lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at 18:20 Hejduk looks wide open on the right hand side, Ricketts tracks him down and doesn't allow the cross to get through.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post

Except he has made nothing happean so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts is amazing. I love 20 and 32 but they excel at different things than Rohan. As for making nothing happen I think you will find he is responsible for drawing at least one foul that lead to a goal because the other wankners in the MLS have trouble with his footwork.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He isn't known for scoring goals, never has been. Everybody was on Velez's case this year for some poor defensive choices and now one of the loudest chants is the Marco Velez ones.

The internet can be a funny place at times.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
    He isn't known for scoring goals, never has been. Everybody was on Velez's case this year for some poor defensive choices and now one of the loudest chants is the Marco Velez ones.

The internet can be a funny place at times.
    Velez has definately improved. But I think his chant is so loud because it's easy and people find it amusing

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rohan is doing what he was brought in to do

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Ricketts is doing a good job. He was not brought to score goals, he was brought to create chances, make a nice run down the line or cut in and cross it. Sure he could be better at finishing but he is one of our better wingers to say the least.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't even realise he was the new whipping boy.... I can't keep up sometimes... Welsh, Lombardo, Robinson, Edu, Ricketts... etc... etc... Sometimes the Toronto sports scene is downright embarrassing.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite argument against Ricketts was that he wasn't scoring goals. I had a good laugh at that one... He's been one of our best players since he came in, so I don't understand why anyone would be going against him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone throws around hate & haters around far to loosely. I haven't read a post where anyone said they hate RR.

Mo & Carver said he'd be exciting with his ability to beat men with his skill & pace. Also his ability to set up others was touted.

I haven't seen this. I have seen a guy who doesn't pick his head up often enough, he's not as aware of what & where his team mates are as a result of this.

Show me who said hate! Hopfully he picks his game up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhoybobby View Post
    Everyone throws around hate & haters around far to loosely. I haven't read a post where anyone said they hate RR.

Mo & Carver said he'd be exciting with his ability to beat men with his skill & pace. Also his ability to set up others was touted.

I haven't seen this. I have seen a guy who doesn't pick his head up often enough, he's not as aware of what & where his team mates are as a result of this.

Show me who said hate! Hopfully he picks his game up.
    I think hater is just a term for people talking shit. I can see some of the criticism is fair as he has made some errors, but you really haven't seen RR beat the opposition with his speed and skill? Maybe the set ups haven't been there, but we have Guevara and Robert for that right now. RR takes the ball in and beats men or draws fouls. No question. Not flawlessly, but easily the best on the team. Respectfully IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rohan Ricketts is still playing his way back into form after an extended period of inactivity. RR's ability to create offensive opportunities off either wing is unquestionable. I will give him at least 10 games before passing judgement...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't hate the guy either, but I wouldn't say he's been a standout addition, yet. I have been frustated with some of his choices in regards of when and where to cross etc. but it's only been a few games. And yes he has had some good plays too, people don't seem to remember those as often at times.

I think it's more like you seem to be a huge fan of him and have some sort of complex about people making informed comments on his play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    People are going to naturally gravitate to him as the whipping boy whether he deserves it or not, because he came in at the same time as Robert and Guevara, who are both international-calibre players, and also because he's very workman-like.
    I like your assessment of the first 15 minutes of RR.

I find it extremely hard to assess players based solely on what I saw at the game. I always love to watch the replay at home sober and confirm or deny things I thought I saw. My seats are off near the north end and I can't see exactly what's happening at the other side. Even up close, things happen so fast or somebody is blocking my view.... At the game a lot of people are also drunk, which isn't really a good condition to be in to assess players

The comments elsewhere about Robert being lazy probably could also use some of this sort of analysis. I think people see one or two plays where a guy doesn't run and then it's "he's lazy". They seem to forget all the runs the guy does make.
    Last edited by rocker; 05-18-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and here I thought my dad was the only Ricketts hater! They actually exists? =P
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think Ricketts is a good addition at midfield...stretches the opposing team's defense with Robert on the left or vice versa...and he allows Marvel Wynne to run up forward and create scoring opportunities taking advantage of Wynne's speed..they're a good combo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco2K View Post
    Except he has made nothing happean so far.
    Nonsense. Off the top of my head - wasn't he the one who drew the foul that led to Guevara's goal from the ensuing free kick? If that's what passes for nothing then you should consider getting your head examined.

Ricketts is fairly dynamic and unpredictable, and as such adds an extra dimension that we've never had before. I think he could work on his passing a bit more, but I'm convinced that we would notice his absence fairly quickly if were to get benched. I think some of you are beginning to forget how awful our midfield was merely six weeks ago. Surrounded by such illustrious company as Robert and Guevara, Ricketts may not stand out as much as those two, but without question he's definitely one of our key players. A few more games in and it'll become obvious to all the doubters.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a pretty solid player most of the time and deserves to continue starting.

That's a far cry from what he was talked up to be on the boards though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jloome great assessment and if the game was only 15 minutes long RR would be fantastic......but unfortunately the game is 90 minutes. Until RR can get himself match fit he is nothing to rave about. I would love for him to get match fit and become this amazing player many of you think he already is. IMHO I think too many of you are blinded by the fact that he spent time at Arsenal and Tottenham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    jloome great assessment and if the game was only 15 minutes long RR would be fantastic......but unfortunately the game is 90 minutes. Until RR can get himself match fit he is nothing to rave about. I would love for him to get match fit and become this amazing player many of you think he already is. IMHO I think too many of you are blinded by the fact that he spent time at Arsenal and Tottenham
    Perhaps, but his upside is still tremendous at his age...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    but unfortunately the game is 90 minutes. Until RR can get himself match fit he is nothing to rave about.
    I don't think jloome was raving about Ricketts. His 15 minute summary includes the good and the bad actually, which is pretty fair.
    He's responding to people who say Ricketts is shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea i dont see were all the ricketts haters are about? Hes got great footwork and does create a ton of chances. He hasnt played regularly in a while, hes only going to improve overtime. I also dont see him getting pushed off the ball all the time like hes andy welsh either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also don't forget that he gets a lot of attention from the opposing defence -- almost every time he gets the ball he's swarmed by two or three guys, which means the other teams obviously think he's dangerous and are keying in on him.

But watch what happens when he does get swarmed like that -- 9 times out of 10 he manages to keep possession and get a pass off. I think his ball handling and controlling skills are excellent -- he actually reminds me of how the players operate in EA's FIFA video games, you know, how it looks like the ball and their boots have magnets in them?

So he hasn't scored yet . . . well, we've hardly scored any goals during the run of play, so you can blame him for that. His main job is not to score anyway, it's to create chances, and he's been doing that in spades. It's hard to anyone to score when playing with a lone striker. Maybe if we switch to more of a 4-4-2 you'd see him racking up more assists.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QFT James