Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS teams getting SPANKED in Champion's League

Time to start wondering whether MLS rosters have become so diluted by the skewed salary system that it's not the worst league in the region. New England is being beaten up on by Joe Public of Trinidad and Tobago 2-0 and same for Chivas against Panama's Tauro.

In the latter, Chivas was so slow getting back, that their players hadn't even turned around yet to see where the opposition was and three of the Panamanian forwards had already cut through the backline and basically walked the ball into the goal.

Ugly.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-26-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New England and Chivas have both had a lot of games lately....consider US Open Cup, SuperLiga, and now this....

...but yes, if we're going to have these competitions...the teams need to be given extra resources to get bigger squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revs have their precious away goal. They should still be able to go through.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

honestly it may be a good thing as itll force the owners and MLS to raise the cap and the rosters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chivas really stunk, 0-2; Revs weren't so hot either. Can't see either going far.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-26-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for Joe Public

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think next year we will see different MLS teams in Superliga and the CL. The same clubs shouldn't be in both.

I'd like to see something like the four or six teams with the best records who are not already playing in the CL qualify for Superliga. Make it a UEFA cup type thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, chances are TFC would've been playing tomorrow humiliating themselves as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cmon Real Estreli!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conspiracy Theory: MLS teams in CL are tanking it to get owners talking to raise the cap

I'm just saying

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone heard anything about the Cruz Azul-Hankook Verdes match?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DVS View Post
    Conspiracy Theory: MLS teams in CL are tanking it to get owners talking to raise the cap

I'm just saying
    There isn't any better stage to tank in order to make a point!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How sad would it be if a USL team (who's name I refuse to mention) advanced further than any MLS team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedchinaman View Post
    Anyone heard anything about the Cruz Azul-Hankook Verdes match?
    Azul leading 3-0 last i heard at HT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The quality of MLS teams is simply not that good. MLS cap rules need to change. There is simply no depth of quality. Each team should have 4 or 5 Guevaras. Not just 1, surrounded by a bunch of hacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by God Save The Queen View Post
    Good for Joe Public
    Kenwyne Jones at Sunderland used to play for Joe Public

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Time to start wondering whether MLS rosters have become so diluted by the skewed salary system that it's not the worst league in the region. New England is being beaten up on by Joe Public of Trinidad and Tobago 2-0 and same for Chivas against Panama's Tauro.

In the latter, Chivas was so slow getting back, that their players hadn't even turned around yet to see where the opposition was and three of the Panamanian forwards had already cut through the backline and basically walked the ball into the goal.

Ugly.
    It is one of the worst leagues in the region. These outcomes are a great thing and so is CCL. This CCL competition will be the catalyst for change. Soccer is the global game, you have to compete globally, not in isolation as per the other leagues in North America. That doesn't work in soccer, the weaknesses in your league will be exposed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not surprising that two MLS teams would lose on the road.. that's pretty typical of MLS in north america.

let's wait and see how NE and Chivas do at home. I'd also like to see the lineups. I read somewhere NE was gonna use a lot of subs.. did they?

Heathen

too many competitions, ditch the Superliga

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    New England and Chivas have both had a lot of games lately....consider US Open Cup, SuperLiga, and now this....

...but yes, if we're going to have these competitions...the teams need to be given extra resources to get bigger squads.

its the same for the clubs in England, premiership games, league cup,
    FA cup, CL/Uefa cup so why fell sorry for the Revs and Chivas...
    its up to thme to get the job done, not make the league look foolish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stugautz View Post
    How sad would it be if a USL team (who's name I refuse to mention) advanced further than any MLS team?
    why would it be sad? Anyone who thinks there is a huge gap in quality between MLS and USL clearly overestimates the quality of MLS.

Personally, I think it would be great for a team with several Canadians starting for them to have a good run in that tournament.

TFC lost out on getting into this tournament because TFC sucked in each and every game in that tournament. they did not have 1 single good performance (the away game in Vancouver was the closest thing to a decent performance by the team).

I won't be cheering for Impact but i sure as hell won't be cheering against them either.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed neutral is the way to go....and they earned their spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck that! They knocked us out, you pussies! This is football, not olympic fucking gymnastics. It's Montreal, we're TFC, we hate Montreal. We'd rather Nicaraguans win than them.

This is club footie, take the nationalistic support elsewhere.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck that! They knocked us out, you pussies! This is football, not olympic fucking gymnastics. It's Montreal, we're TFC, we hate Montreal. We'd rather Nicaraguans win than them.

It aint nationalistic support but fuck they kicked our asses they deserved it. Don't care to see them advance but I don't want to see them fail. Having a Canadian team in the CL = more publicity, heck maybe a young kid or two may see the oppurtunity at an early age and be more involved in soccer, not to mention funding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha. I don't exactly agree but this is classic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Hahaha. I don't exactly agree but this is classic.
    Let's say Hypothetically I had a little voice hoping the Canadian team goes far, as Canadians are wont to do in any situation. I sure wouldn't tell anyone else about it; some Limpact fan might read it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It aint nationalistic support but fuck they kicked our asses they deserved it.
    But they didn't kick our asses. We beat them in Montreal, and drew at home. The problem was Montreal decimated Vancouver - as usual, despite being the poorer team.

Perhaps we should have a poll - who is cheering for/against Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It aint nationalistic support but fuck they kicked our asses they deserved it. Don't care to see them advance but I don't want to see them fail. Having a Canadian team in the CL = more publicity, heck maybe a young kid or two may see the oppurtunity at an early age and be more involved in soccer, not to mention funding.
    TRUST me when i say this.....

The rest of the fucking country HATES US(Toronto)!! You think the montrealers would suck us off if we went far in the CCL?!?! Fuck that they would be the first to stab us in the chest with a dirty butter knife!! Toronto-Montreal is going to be the BIGGEST rivalry in north american sports history once those fuckers get an MLS team. Theirs going to be bloodshed, just wait and see.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't Spain, where we have nothing to prove regarding the quality of our players. I won't be cheering for the Impact, but I'd feel some nationalistic pride if they made it further than they are expected to in the CCL.

As others mention frequently, Canada is a football backwater. What a great way to draw some attention to our players.

That said, any time they are playing TFC, they are my enemies.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    honestly it may be a good thing as itll force the owners and MLS to raise the cap and the rosters
    Agreed Oss. Now that the Champions League is pitting our teams up against others outside MLS/USL in a very lucrative competition, I think Garber and the owners are gonna get realise how ridiculous the current financial system is with the league. Seeing all MLS teams get tossed out on their ears by clubs like Joe Public should raise more than a few eyebrows.

I think Profit89 might be on to something saying that this could be a catalyst for change.

Oh, and to clarify - Montreal didn't beat us outta Champions League play. Vancouver did.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.