View Poll Results: $1 donation from TFC fans to pay for the dumbass fine Carver will get?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

92 75.41%
  • No

30 24.59%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about this: If Carver does get fined $1000 then we do the collection on the basis that Carver must choose the charity that it goes to..then we make the point..$1000 goes to a good cause..and we all look good......and and it's the principle that I think most people here will think is the key and by doing it this way we uphold our principles - to back our team and coach.
    Last edited by sully; 05-19-2008 at 05:54 PM.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can't pay MLS fines, Barra has offered to do it many times. Instead we've matched fine to charity of player's choice (that's if fine was earned in act of defending supporters or something like Esky spitting out red bull after goal). For example if Tino gets fined for sacking Kljestan (still can't believe that wasn't straight red, he even told ref he's gonna fuck him up for it) after he taunted us in LA few days ago that would be good cause

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBBulldog View Post
    you can't pay MLS fines, Barra has offered to do it many times. Instead we've matched fine to charity of player's choice (that's if fine was earned in act of defending supporters or something like Esky spitting out red bull after goal). For example if Tino gets fined for sacking Kljestan (still can't believe that wasn't straight red, he even told ref he's gonna fuck him up for it) after he taunted us in LA few days ago that would be good cause

That's not bad... although in this case Carver's quote should be made into a Banner!!! That was hilarious
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBBulldog View Post
    you can't pay MLS fines, Barra has offered to do it many times. Instead we've matched fine to charity of player's choice (that's if fine was earned in act of defending supporters or something like Esky spitting out red bull after goal).
    This approach has a lot of merit to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    print that and send it to the league
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post

That's awesome James. I'm stealing it FYI. I'm glad they put the bill back in circulation. Mulroney can go back into business now.
    Last edited by alexintoronto; 05-19-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Barbarez

How about you collect a thousand dollars for a tifo, flags, or some banners instead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've sized it down so we can put it in our signatures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of donating to the CNIB. Here is how I envision this;

1) Get 3 - 4 of those big plastic water cooler jugs with the narrow necks.
    2) Make 3 - 4 signs explaining we are collecting matching funds for Carver's fine to be donated to vision research.
    3) At the top of the signs put a picture of a Ref in dark glasses with a white cane.
    4) Leak it to our friends in the media that we are doing this
    5) Set these up outside the gates of BMO Field on game day. Have a couple people there top explain what it is about.
    6) Ask all fans (not just the supporters) to contribute a Loonie each.
    7) Ask John Carver to come with us as the donation is made to the CNIB.

I think this would be successful because at $1 a piece most people would be willing to contribute. It would probably be newsworthy and hopefully embarrass the league. And, if John Carver actually comes to make the donation with us, it will demonstrate exactly how much we support him. Every dollar would represent a vote of confidence in him.

Don't forget that this franchise not only makes a ton of money for MLSE, it also makes money for the MLS in general. We are a cash cow in a league that loses money on most of its teams. We should have more influence on their decisions. If they want to do stupid things like send out a DVD of Carver, or fine him for speaking the truth, we have to do something to respond. Banners and chants are fun but most people ignore them. If we want to have an effect we have to get into the press and on TV. To do that you have to give them what they want. The media are only interested in 4 things; sex, violence, scandal or celebrity. Carver's comments provide the scandal and his presence at a donation would provide the celebrity. I don't see a sex or violence angle to this but if there is one it would guarantee coverage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or we could just do it and not involve the media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hopefully everyone that donates to this, donated to the tifo from this past weekend.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This actually makes a nice segue to Wednesday's game against VW United...

Last edited by James Oliphant; 05-19-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I agree...there are many ways of supporting. All I am saying is some people want to do A some people want to do B. If you don't want to do A, then do B...or even come up with a C. But it doesnt make A any less valid.

Besides...I think this idea was just talk anyways...I don't think we are actually going to do it. But it does put us in the right frame of mind.

And for those of us short on time...sometimes putting $2 forward is a lot easier for those that have difficult times putting aside 2 or 3 hours to help with a Tifo. I mean...how many people actually show up when the call goes out for Tifo help? I have to admit, I haven't shown up...yet.

Anyways...I liked the idea, even if it meant matching it for charity and telling Carver about it.
    Good points. Just because some people don't agree with the idea doesn't mean other people can do it. It's $1, it's not that big of a deal to begin with.