Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really want to make a statement you should boycott the game and not scalp your tickets. The south end being nearly empty will send a real message to management. All this protest is going to accomplish is to show management that you'll pay your money to see TFC either way. What do they care, as long as they're making money?

And I'm sure that most of the non-Toronto players will be happy that the supporter's groups are choosing to sit on their hands and not through shit at them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How likely is it that this will happen. There hasn't been any mention of this or rumours circulating in the papers. The Argos are still in the Dome for a couple more seasons at least.

I think if we're going to protest anything it should be to get real turf! Even though I think the FieldTurf that we have isn't a bad product, its apparent there are many negative perceptions of it out there and could be a reason we are not attracting and decent DP candidates.

The loss of BMO being a SSS is a big concern but why protest this at the game and make our fans look bad on national TV for an issue that may not even be a possibility of happening?!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canucker View Post
    How likely is it that this will happen. There hasn't been any mention of this or rumours circulating in the papers. The Argos are still in the Dome for a couple more seasons at least.

I think if we're going to protest anything it should be to get real turf! Even though I think the FieldTurf that we have isn't a bad product, its apparent there are many negative perceptions of it out there and could be a reason we are not attracting and decent DP candidates.

The loss of BMO being a SSS is a big concern but why protest this at the game and make our fans look bad on national TV for an issue that may not even be a possibility of happening?!
    The thing is, why do we need to put on a show? Are you a trained monkey who puts on a show for whoever asks you to?

I sing and chant and play my drum and make banners to support my team, not to get on TV.

I really don't think we're going to look bad on national TV and if we do, who cares? Anyone can tune into any TFC game on national TV to see what we look like on any given week. This game has no meaning. If we bring the same support to this game as we do to TFC games, it will just prove that people are there to get drunk and have a party for any reason, not for TFC.

I don't care about the MLS all-stars or West Ham and I wasn't even going to go to this match, but the protest against the Argos and the fact that the corporations running this thing don't respect and understand the supporters is a reason to go.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The thing is, why do we need to put on a show? Are you a trained monkey who puts on a show for whoever asks you to?

I sing and chant and play my drum and make banners to support my team, not to get on TV.

I really don't think we're going to look bad on national TV and if we do, who cares? Anyone can tune into any TFC game on national TV to see what we look like on any given week. This game has no meaning. If we bring the same support to this game as we do to TFC games, it will just prove that people are there to get drunk and have a party for any reason, not for TFC.

I don't care about the MLS all-stars or West Ham and I wasn't even going to go to this match, but the protest against the Argos and the fact that the corporations running this thing don't respect and understand the supporters is a reason to go.
    That still doesn't address the fact that the whole Argos thing is merely speculation at this point. Why not pick an issue that is actually having an affect on the team right now and address the FieldTurf issue?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I do want to point out that I'm totally against the Argo expansion, but at this point its still just an idea that is swirling around.

Hopefully it doesn't happen. Just kind of think we should be focusing on issues that are affecting our team and its playing environment now in the present.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The problem with the Argos thing is that we have to begin opposing it now. If we protest once it's a done deal, we accomplish nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And my gut feeling is that such an announcement could be made in a split-second type of deal. No lead up or forewarning, just a straight announcement. By then, yes - it could be too late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That still doesn't address the fact that the whole Argos thing is merely speculation at this point. Why not pick an issue that is actually having an affect on the team right now and address the FieldTurf issue?!

FWIW the points that you are making were made, made often, by other people (myself included) at the time this idea was pitched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much money does BMO actually save as a result of the turf we currently have? Anyone?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The thing is, it's all a part of the same puzzle.

Argos coming = us NEVER getting grass.

There is some impetus for us to get grass in the future, any Argos activity would kill that dead. There is already a plan in place for grass at BMO Field, but it needs to be approved by many different people for it to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well hopefully our actions can and will do something, but I'm sure we all know that the likelihood of any of these fat cat sports people bothering to care is unlikely.

Anyway, I'm bored at work and my mind was racing. Here's to hoping there's only soccer to be played at the BMO in the future and that its on real pitch!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hear, hear!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No doubt some of you have read the article from Cathal Kelly in the Star today. Here's the link to the full version:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/461884

Here's a part that pertains to this protest:

"And that famous atmosphere we're always crowing about? Don't count on it.

The supporter groups are promising some sort of boycott to express their displeasure with, well, what is it this week? It's the long-way-from-ever-being-official plan to expand BMO Field so that the Argos can play there.

Here's a newsflash: The league. Does not. Care. The team. Cares. Even less.

If they had to float BMO Field on Lake Ontario and ferry fans over there on hovercraft to keep things viable, the league would be okay with that. As long as you keep going to matches, the league will not give a fig. Catch-22, that.

As much as the league cares, divide that by a kajillion and that's how much Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment cares. This was always about accruing as much sporting power under one roof as possible (as long as it does not entail paying to build any sort of actual roof).

If the Argos want to dump Rogers and hitch their wagon to MLSE, the more the merrier. They'll even throw in the shovels and hash marks."

So, what does everybody think?

While I think he's oversimplifying the issue, for the most part he's right.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He's a douche.

He has no idea about our relationship with the team's management.

Also, his whole "what is it this week?" as though we arrange protests every week or something. GTFO Catheter Kelly.

We already discussed that here:
    http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthre...eter#post91895

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC+Argos4Life View Post

So, what does everybody think?
    Cathal Kelly is a moron - simple enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Cathal Kelly is a moron - simple enough
    I think that sums it up nicely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, is there a post here which tells everything we will be doing to protest? I don't feel like going through 10 pages to see everything that has been decided.

thanks,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PRESS RELEASE July 10, 2008
    For immediate release

TORONTO FC SUPPORTERS TO PROTEST DURING MLS ALL-STAR GAME

A coalition of Toronto FC supporters groups will stage a silent protest during the upcoming Major League Soccer all-star game at BMO Field in Toronto.

The groups are increasingly concerned about the possible expansion of BMO Field to accommodate CFL football and specifically the Toronto Argonauts. The groups feel strongly that this would ruin the unique experience that has made Toronto FC such a successful franchise. It is not possible to fit a CFL field into the stadium without major reconstruction.

Toronto FC's most rabid supporters will sit rather than stand during the all-star game. There will be limited chanting and cheering. They will wear black. Many of these supporters have pledged to boycott Toronto FC games should the stadium be retrofitted for CFL football.

"This is not an anti-Argos protest," said Pedro Almeida, leader of the North End Elite supporters group. "Many of our members are Argos fans. We have nothing against the Argos or the CFL. We wish them the best of success. But Toronto FC fans signed up in the thousands to support this team based on the premise of it being a soccer-specific stadium with real grass and an intimate setting. We didn't get the grass. We better get to keep the intimate setting."

Fans around the world mock MLS soccer when they see highlights of games being played in cavernous NFL stadiums decorated with football yardlines.

"The supporters groups are united on this," said Jack DePoe, president of the Red Patch Boys. "The club, the players, the media, everyone has acknowledged the contribution of the supporters groups in the club's success. We want everyone to understand how upset we are about the possibility of a CFL football retrofit. We won't stand for this kind of expansion."

"This was supposed to be our national soccer stadium," said Rudi Schuller, one of the leaders of U Sector. "But the national team players have already made it clear they prefer to play in other venues because of the Field Turf. Rebuilding for the CFL would further take BMO Field away from being the national soccer stadium."

Soccer-specific stadiums has long been a key part of the league's business plan. Seven of the league's 14 teams currently play in SS stadiums. Two others will move into SS stadiums within the next year. The rest have plans to build one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry but I have to agree with this sentiment... I've been quite for awhile as to not get involved, but this has nothing to do with Major League Soccer. It is MLSE and The City of Toronto that we should be focusing our efforts as tax-payers and supporters.

Risk vs Reward

What we're doing is jeopardizing any future playoff games being held off at BMO Field as MLS will think we are all just a bunch of political monkeys. You can't blame the MLS for asking for great support?! That's their job... to make sure the game sells in the hopes of more TV coverage and advertizing revenue... what would you do if you worked for the MLS? I mean do we think the general U.S. citizen will give two craps about our fight to keep BMO an SSS? baaaaah it's to late now anyways,,,, oh well
    Last edited by FluSH; 07-21-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Where have you been for the past two months on this issue, FluSH?

There are several undercurrents to this that made the decision to choose the All-Star Game the right one. I'll gladly fill you in on them next time I see you.

Remember, this is MLSE's chance to showcase how great they are in front of a larger audience as well, not just MLS.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default news?

Sorry if there is another thread with better info but I didn't see anything else. Hopefully this the right place to ask.

What's the latest plan for this protest? I think it might be helpful to update the first post for those of us who haven't had the chance to follow the entire thread.

Are the black shirts still in order? Silence only? WHU support? IMO, the league chose black to put out the fire in case of a protest

Although I don't attend the games regularly (bad luck with season tickets from year 1) - I'm behind this 100% and would like to cooperate Thursday.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    What we're doing is jeopardizing any future playoff games being held off at BMO Field as MLS will think we are all just a bunch of political monkeys.
    Let's face it. We have field turf. There will never be another All-Star Game here. MLS might try to blame us for ruining their show but it will be the players who tell them to never come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they replaced the green grass carpet with real grass and a year round crew to maintain it do you think they would increase ticket prices???

I think if they put real grass in the stadium some yuppies would protest to have it changed to a "safe" dog park so that mystery meat wouldnt poision the cities dogs and whatever people put on a leash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I have trying to think of how to both support the protest and support WHU.

What do people think of bringing bottles of bubble solution and then blowing bubbles ... it is silent ... but supportive of WHU

Just a suggestion for those who are torn as to which to support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loconet View Post
    Sorry if there is another thread with better info but I didn't see anything else. Hopefully this the right place to ask.

What's the latest plan for this protest? I think it might be helpful to update the first post for those of us who haven't had the chance to follow the entire thread.

Are the black shirts still in order? Silence only? WHU support? IMO, the league chose black to put out the fire in case of a protest

Although I don't attend the games regularly (bad luck with season tickets from year 1) - I'm behind this 100% and would like to cooperate Thursday.

Thanks
    I know 127 will be sitting down - and wearing black shirts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a general grass/turf question, and couldn't think of where else to post it, so here goes. And let me preface by saying there's nothing I want more than grass at the BMO.
    I was talking with a friend about the protest. His response is that we're being spoiled brats. Basically, we wanted a stadium built, and nobody was willing to pay for it. The city stepped in and fulfilled our desire for a stadium, and now we're turning around and biting the hand that fed us and saying we don't want your money, we want grass. But, the truth seems to be that without their money we wouldn't have a team, nor a stadium in which to put the grass because MLSE certainly wasn't paying for the BMO on their own.
    Can somebody with more knowledge of the ins and out of this situation comment? Jack, perhaps?
    Not trying to disturb shit at all. Curious.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Thurs, I now have another reason to wear black...

to mourn for our Champions League bid that now RIP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    I have a general grass/turf question, and couldn't think of where else to post it, so here goes. And let me preface by saying there's nothing I want more than grass at the BMO.
    I was talking with a friend about the protest. His response is that we're being spoiled brats. Basically, we wanted a stadium built, and nobody was willing to pay for it. The city stepped in and fulfilled our desire for a stadium, and now we're turning around and biting the hand that fed us and saying we don't want your money, we want grass. But, the truth seems to be that without their money we wouldn't have a team, nor a stadium in which to put the grass because MLSE certainly wasn't paying for the BMO on their own.
    Can somebody with more knowledge of the ins and out of this situation comment? Jack, perhaps?
    Not trying to disturb shit at all. Curious.
    They did a half-assed job on the most important part of a soccer stadium, if you are going to do a job (especially something as large as a sports stadium) do it right and do it good. At least that's my opinion.
    Last edited by jaahuuu; 07-23-2008 at 10:00 AM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

OLOE... we're not being spoiled brats about it.

We understand where the stadium came from. But we need to look no further than what's gone on in the cup to see that we need a legit playing surface to bring in legit stars.

MLSE now knows it has a money-maker on its hands. But we need to let them know not to take us for granted. We've done our part. We pour our hearts and souls into this. Also a lot of our hard-earned money.

We're not their cheerleaders. We pay them and we have every right to demand an improved product. The thing people aren't getting about the Argos thing is, if we wait until they announce a move, it's too late. We need to stamp this out now and we want a definitive "NO" from the parties involved.

I'm not saying we demand grass tomorrow. But the Argos moving in will kill that forever.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    We need to stamp this out now and we want a definitive "NO" from the parties involved.
    Jack, how is it that we're saying NO exactly (see my previous post). There is so much fragmented/inaccurate/stale information regarding this "protest" .. I'm confused. Is anything still happening during the All Star games or? Any insights?