RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Today’s News, Thursday , Aug.21

Carver comments on Edu's departure
    Reds coach discusses midfielder's move to Rangers

Maurice Edu has now finalized his release from MLS, but is still waiting to receive a work permit before his move from Toronto FC to Glasgow Rangers can be completed. Toronto Coach John Carver admits Edu's departure will be a "huge loss" but expects the club to make good use of the money that will be received from the transfer. "He's a huge loss but we are looking to replace him," said Carver. "We all know that we are desperate for a training facility and hopefully we can invest the money back into the club again and continue to develop our Academy."

Read more

Canada fit to be tied at World Cup qualifier
    'I feel like I let the guys down,' says Canadian keeper Onstad after coughing up own goal
    MORGAN CAMPBELL

In the moments after a 1-1 tie with Jamaica in last night's World Cup qualifier at BMO Field, Dale Mitchell, head coach of Canada's national team, shrugged off what seemed like a disappointing result.
    A single point, he reasoned, is better than none.
    "We'll take that as a positive and move forward."
    Midfielder Julian de Guzman, however, refused to spin it that way.
    The Scarborough native and Spanish league standout opened scoring two minutes after halftime, then watched five minutes later as a Jamaican corner kick glanced off Canadian keeper Pat Onstad's hands and into the net.
    For him, last night's result was just what it seemed: A huge letdown, and a detour in a path Canada hopes will lead to its first World Cup berth since 1986.

Read more

Canada held at home
    LARRY MILLSON

TORONTO — Oh, so close.
    A possible victory for the Canadian men's national soccer team slipped away last night on a corner kick that goalkeeper Pat Onstad knocked into his own net.
    The goal in the 52nd minute on a corner kick by Andrew Williams gave Jamaica a 1-1 draw in the opening game of World Cup qualifying before 21,978 at BMO Field.
    "I went up for it, but I just kind of collided with their player, and [i] got a hand on it, and I was already falling back and pushed it into the net, unfortunately," Onstad said, adding that he felt a tug on his left sleeve as he went for the ball.
    "I'm not trying to make excuses," he said. "In my position, you make a mistake and it costs you a goal."
    Williams was given credit for the goal that offset one five minutes earlier from Julian de Guzman, who converted a header directed to him from Tomasz Radzinski in the 47th minute.
    Any chances Canada had from then on were stopped by Jamaican 'keeper Donovan Rickets, who made two saves in quick succession in the 71st minute and another in the 73rd.

Read more

Canada ties Jamaica in World Cup qualifier
    John F. Molinaro

Home advantage is no advantage at all unless you make use of it, an obvious lesson the Canadian men's soccer team refuses to learn.
    Canada played to a 1-1 tie with Jamaica on Wednesday night before 21,978 fans at Toronto's BMO Field, getting off on the wrong foot as it began its journey toward qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
    Julian de Guzman scored for Canada early in the second half, but his goal was wiped out just minutes later when Canadian goalkeeper Pat Onstad made a horrendous error, mishandling the ball off a Jamaican corner kick before bundling it into his net.
    "I'm disappointed in myself and I feel like I let the team down," Onstad admitted.
    "The ball was whipped and as I was going for it I got bumped and someone had a pretty good grab of my left sleeve, but ultimately it's my job to keep the ball out … so I have to shoulder the blame," he later added.

Read more

Canada squander lead, draw Jamaica
    THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO -- Canada got a point and a slap on the back from opponent Jamaica for its efforts Wednesday night. Kissing a sister may be next.

Still Canadian coach Dale Mitchell tried to see positives in a 1-1 tie in a World Cup qualifying soccer match before 21,978 at BMO Field. Away from the cameras, however, he looked pained at dropping two valuable points at home.

"We have a point on the board. We'll take that as a positive and move on," Mitchell said.

The Canadian men have five matches remaining -- three of which are away -- in this penultimate round of qualifying in the CONCACAF region and can ill afford to squander points on home turf.

The bottom line Wednesday was that Jamaican goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts made the saves and the normally reliable Pat Onstad flubbed a corner, knocking it into his own net.

Jamaica secured the tie in the 52nd minute on a bending Andrew Williams corner that handcuffed an off-balance Onstad. The 40-year-old goalie accepted the blame, but said Jamaican striker Deon Burton was tugging on his shirt at the time.

read more

Goalkeeper goof-up
    Onstad's mistake costs Canada a victory

By MIKE ZEISBERGER, SUN MEDIA
    By making his 56th international appearance for this country, Pat Onstad tied Craig Forrest last night for the most caps earned by a Canadian goalkeeper.
    On this night, some embittered Canadian fans among the 21,978 at BMO Field probably wanted to fit Onstad with his own personal dunce cap instead.
    Harsh? Maybe a bit, especially when aimed at a standup guy like Onstad.
    Then again, soccer spectators have been known to be unsympathetic when it comes to such screwups like the one Onstad committed.
    "I'm disappointed," Onstad said after Canada's 1-1 draw with Jamaica in World Cup qualifying action. "I let the guys down."
    With the bright lights of the Canadian National Exhibition twinkling in the distance, Onstad probably felt like he was in one of those eerie House of Horrors that has been a mainstay on the nearby midway for decades.
    Just five minutes after a Julian de Guzman screamer had given Canada a precious 1-0 lead, disaster struck.

Read more

Finally, the earth moves for international soccer

Cathal Kelly

Two years ago, I believed I had plumbed the depths of that affliction called homer-ism and come out the other side untouched.
    It was the 17th game of the 2006 World Cup, Portugal vs. Iran. I took my cramped seat in the Frankfurt Stadion's sweaty media tribune between a pair of reporters, one Portuguese, the other Iranian.
    There is a time-honoured tradition that forbids any reporter from openly rooting in the press box. At my first World Cup, I was learning that that tradition is not universal.
    The Portuguese – a bespectacled and professorial fellow of about 60 – had the national colours clumsily painted on his face. He was wearing a team jersey. He nearly hyperventilated during the national anthem, so bursting was his joy.

"The way the Canadians cheered their team was beautiful," Jamaican coach Rene Simoes afterward. "I think Canadians, they've learned how to cheer."
    Read more

Sellout crowd on hand as Canada ties Jamaica in World Cup qualifier

TORONTO - When Toronto last staged a World Cup qualifying match in 2000, only 6,564 fans witnessed it.
    But that was during the old era of Canadian soccer, before Toronto FC and Major League Soccer came to town, before the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps started competing with Toronto for a Canadian club championship.
    And Wednesday night, a sellout crowd of 21,978 at Toronto's BMO Field did its best to help the Canadian national team begin a new chapter as well.
    But all the cheering, chanting and singing could not help the 79th-ranked home side get past a plucky Jamaican unit ranked 108th in the world. The game ended in a 1-1 draw.
    "This was the most important game for us," said Julian de Guzman, who scored Canada's lone goal. "This was three points in our pocket. Jamaica is the weakest team in our 'group of death' that's how we looked at it. We lost two points tonight."
    The match served as the opening contest in the semifinal round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying.
    Canada faces a steeper challenge if it hopes to advance out of a qualifying group that includes 32nd-ranked Mexico and 61st-ranked Honduras.

Read more

SUNSHINE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Cathal Kelly has taken a lot of well-deserved stick in the past, but credit where it's due: that's a darn good column.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ He has gotten a lot better lately. To be honest, I don't usually fault any writers for stating their opinion, but I would agree that there were times before when I wanted to straggle the guy.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That column by Kelly is pretty good.

At least the Star had a column on the game, other than just reports on the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed on Kelly's column. Inside 112 was a riot last night - I wondered how the support looked and sounded throughout the stadium. I guess if we made at least one guy in the pressbox (and the opposing coach) sit up and take notice, that's a great thing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from 123, the southend sounded awesome. the voyageurs were good in the north too, although sometimes the chants clashed, but even that raw noise was nice.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    Agreed on Kelly's column. Inside 112 was a riot last night - I wondered how the support looked and sounded throughout the stadium. I guess if we made at least one guy in the pressbox (and the opposing coach) sit up and take notice, that's a great thing!
    The sound from the south was beautiful...If TFC games sounded like that, it would be epic!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    The sound from the south was beautiful...If TFC games sounded like that, it would be epic!!
    Oh, the play-offs . . .

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So all the newspaper reports say there were almost 22,000 at the game....has the capacity of BMO field increased since before?
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. they just rammed people in there.
    I assume it was more standing room tickets than anything else.

I_AM_CANADIAN

There were rather a lot of people standing up, from what I could see even the beer garden was pretty packed.

And oh, how I wish we still had Craig Forrest in goal...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/te....jsp&team=t280

lol so we got him for practically nothing.
    supplemental draft picks, HA!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmm i wouldnt say nothing, First round and second round, but it had to be done, LA had to get something but in all considerations we didnt give them a whole lot.
    Ideally we dont lose out on Obrien White because of this, im sure we wont

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from the star article:

"The goal – ruled an own goal – set off a more intense celebration than de Guzman's opener had. Some Jamaican supporters held two fingers up and fired mock gunshots into the air, while others tooted horns and waved flags."

That's strange. From where I was sitting it seemed like it was WAY WAY louder when Canada scored than when Jamaica scored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didn't we get a supplementary draft pick from DC for Zaher, 2nd round I think. So we still have some.

Remember Mo in the suppl. draft didn't draft really anyone past the 1st round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Ideally we dont lose out on Obrien White because of this, im sure we wont
    You're expecting White to fall all the way to the supplemental draft?

I_AM_CANADIAN

In the west stand, you could really hear the Jamaican fans when they "scored", believe me. It still wasn't as loud as when Canada scored, that may have been just me though, because I was too busy yelling and waving my scarf to notice how loud it was when we scored...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Now imagine with a roof!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oxygenatedbrain View Post
    You're expecting White to fall all the way to the supplemental draft?
    We have multiple picks in both the first and second rounds.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Wow, I'm impressed by Cathal Kelly. My (previously rather low) opinion of him has just been raised a notch or two, that was a very well-written (and non-stupid) column.