Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    No, he's our center forward. His job is to play with his back to the net and knock down balls played in the air and to dish off the ball to his strike partner or winger. When the ball is played to him along the ground, his job is to hold the ball while the midfiielders come forward. In either case, pace has NOTHING to do with his role on the team as the ball is supposed to be played to him.

Spot on assesment, basic football,nothing more left to be said to that.

A lot of fans on this board, don't understand that. Not a shot at anyone, just an observation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    ^^ the point is that Dichio, though #9, is not played as a striker but as a centre-forward. That, and people ought to stop judging him as a striker.
    So a centre forward is not supposed to score goals? sorry, makes no sense. And the reason why he plays your so called centre forward role is to make up for the fact he's not a good striker. Which is what this team neeeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

* groan * See you Wednesday mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't disagree that his ability to hold up the ball is important, but he needs to be a threat to score as well, and we really haven't seen enough of that this year. That's where the problem is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    * groan * See you Wednesday mate
    I'll buy you a beer!! if Dichio scores

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    For anyone who thinks Robert was lazy, go back and watch the highlights, he freaking created every single highlight of the game. He was insane today and all over the park.

As for Dichio, go back and watch how many times the ball is crossed to him or passed to him in the air and he doens't get his head on it? My wife at one point actually yelled out "Dichio, you piece of shit!" that's how frustrated she was that this guy is 6'5 and can't win balls in the air. Cunningham might be lazy, but when the ball was played to him in the air, he found a way to bring it down. Also, Roogsy, I just don't see all these great opportunities Dichio created yesterday, except the one that he ran down and passed it back. That's about all I remember. It says enough that when you look at the highlights on MLSNEt.com all you hear is Robert creating opportunities.
    I watched Robert closely the whole game. The little he does, he does very, very well. I think he's capable of more.

As for DD, most of the balls to him in the air, are no fucking where near him. He passing is exceptional, when the ball is near him in the air, he wins it. He won a ton of stuff in our box defending.

When he goes off, we have no presence at all up front, none. As for your better 1/2 calling him a piece of shit, I think that has more to do with her football knowledge that DD. That's no disrespect to your spouse.

Cunningham, when he plays is a non factor, greedy, useless, does nothing for those around him. Carver knows this, that's why he doesn't give him much playing time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    So a centre forward is not supposed to score goals? sorry, makes no sense. And the reason why he plays your so called centre forward role is to make up for the fact he's not a good striker. Which is what this team neeeds.
    You're not getting it are you? Love your passion, don't love you're understanding of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we played 4-4-2 and Dichio's strike partner was a finisher no one would be complaining about him, and his role would be more clearly understood by all.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we played 4-4-2 and Dichio's strike partner was a finisher no one would be complaining about him, and his role would be more clearly understood by all.
    Exactly, some get it, some don't. We had enough chances yesterday, Edu & Ricketts both couldn't pull the trigger with clear path to goal. Either one of them goes in, there's no discussion.

One thing that drove me crazy in the 1st half was when Jimmy B made two lung bursting run to overlap down the left wing.

Ricketts who was busy watching his own feet & the ball (head down) sent in a useless cross, under no pressure.

Robert, just ignored him & under no pressure, put the ball in the beer garden. I thought Jimmy's head was gonna explode. After that he didn't bother overlapping, probably thought, what's the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tits of the match- the two fuckers standing behind us. They were singing anit-Laurent Robert chants, so I turned around and told them if they weren't gonna support the team, they could get the fuck out. To which is prissy bitch replied "calm down hunnie, you're just blowing this out of porportion".

I nearly went back there and punched the bitch out.

Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Workie View Post
    Tits of the match- the two fuckers standing behind us. They were singing anit-Laurent Robert chants, so I turned around and told them if they weren't gonna support the team, they could get the fuck out. To which is prissy bitch replied "calm down hunnie, you're just blowing this out of porportion".

Agreed.

The spotty twat who was getting lagered on half a pint and shooting his mouth off was a sad site to see. Though it was funny when security went up. He thought they was asking him to quiet down, (potential major boost for his self-inflated hard man persona) and it turns out they were carding him as he didn't look old enought to be drinking.

(hahahaha instant loss of hard man cred......."excuse me son can I see some ID, Did your mom buy that beer for you....?")

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i felt that Robert was our best player yesterday.Guevarra wasnt as prominent as i was hoping for and Ricketts ,aside from some fancy footwork hasnt shown me much.i think the boys will be fired up for DC cause of the second game of the season result.we need a striker soon , the formation is not suited to Dichio's game .but i still love the legendary DD

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, here is how I feel about Dichio, if anyone cares. Dichio simply cannot play the the 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 formation that we play. If he were to be placed alongside a striker up front, in a 4-4-2, he would be much more effective, however he is not very effective in his new role this year. He plays in front of Amado Guevara, who plays as a #10 with Toronto. He simply is not quick enough to play with Guevara, who has no one to outlet his passes to. We don't need Dichio to play as a CF anymore, we need to have someone up front who has the pace, the shot, and the skill to continually score goals for TFC; Dichio cannot do that. Dichio's job in this formation is not to hold up the ball, which he does do very well, that is something that people have to understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laurent Robert = Man of the match.

Clearly Toronto's best offensive player yesterday by a mile. He orchestrated a number of decent scoring chances yesterday and was unlucky with that goal post.

Marshall was rock solid. Velez was great as well.
    ________

Edu needs to work on his shot.
    Ricketts = meh.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly.

QFT.

And whatever else I can say in agreement of this.

If somehow we could have a setup to have BOTH Dichio and Cunny on the pitch, I would like to see how it works out. The Fast and the Furious never really had a chance to show what they could do last year.

Maybe we can try this when Edu takes off for National duties?

Then we can see Dichio knock down balls and send them forward for Cunny to run down and bag.

On a sidenote...has anyone noticed that Cunny doesn't seem as quick or is it just me? I am a little worried.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Workie View Post

This was in 112?

Tell them I'd switch my 118 tickets with them please. I'd give anything to sing in support of team with my brothers and sisters.

This is completely shocking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhoybobby View Post
    Robert, just ignored him & under no pressure, put the ball in the beer garden. I thought Jimmy's head was gonna explode. After that he didn't bother overlapping, probably thought, what's the point.
    Robert certainly gets frustrated with his teammates and it seems to take him out of the game for a while before het gets back in.

What about Edu? He seems invisible out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I am getting tired of the people who don't understand Dichio's role on this team. He may be the leading scorer for TFC of all time...but that is actually not his role. He is there to hold up the ball...so every time I hear "his scoring duties" I cringe.

Dichio has a soft touch for a big man and he created many of the opportunities we enjoyed today. He continues to draw defenders who mug him on a consistent basis. People don't appreciate the work that he puts in...
    I am getting tired of people defending Dichio for no reason. I am usually the first guy to defend him, and i don;t expect him to score goal.. And i think he had a bad game NOT because he didn;t score or create a scoring chance but because he really did nothing on the field.... usually he plays better.
    Like with his body size you;d think that he could nail his feet on the ground and protect the ball like WYnne does with half the size... while dichio just falls down like a little girl upon a faceoff with a defender... Instead of fighting it off....
    Second his air game was shit... same argument with his height if he just tries to jump any air ball should be his... i don;t think he won an air ball with the defender...
    the worst of all is his POSITIONING.... Like instead of looking for gaps between defenders to run in the guy would just run in the opposite direction....
    Very poor game by DD....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeachRed View Post
    Robert certainly gets frustrated with his teammates and it seems to take him out of the game for a while before het gets back in.

THAT has become a norm for him... I never see him during the game... ANd specially against crew he was invisible, the only time i saw him was in the pass back to sutton which almost got intercepted....
    I said it a couple of times and i say it again the most OVER rated player on our team.....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ua-kozak_TFC View Post
    Like with his body size you;d think that he could nail his feet on the ground and protect the ball like WYnne does with half the size... while dichio just falls down like a little girl upon a faceoff with a defender... Instead of fighting it off....
    Second his air game was shit... same argument with his height if he just tries to jump any air ball should be his... i don;t think he won an air ball with the defender...
    the worst of all is his POSITIONING.... Like instead of looking for gaps between defenders to run in the guy would just run in the opposite direction....
    Very poor game by DD....
    There are a couple of things that I do agree on here. When I defend Dichio, I defend him against people who don't understand what his job on this team is.

HOWEVER...there are aspects to his game yesterday that I found disappointing. His positioning was not ideal. There were times when he would run to the OTHER side of a defender instead of getting in between the defender and passer so that when the passer actually passed the ball, he was on the wrong side of the defender to receive the ball and the defender would easily intercept.

His hitting the ground I think is a result of his adjusting to this league. If he stays on his feet, it is the defender that usually winds up hitting the ground and he gets the foul. He knows this. So in a collision, he simply cannot remain on his feet...this league will not let him. I would rather see him use his strength, but the refs here are completely biased against him.

However...I think nobody has really given Dichio a break yesterday for the wind factor. There wasn't a decent cross into the box all game yesterday and it wasn't the midfield's fault...the wind yesterday was crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert was good, Marshall for me was man of the match..
    Tits of the match- two guys behind us, who kept talking about work "bla bla bla work this, bla bla bla work that..." the whole 1st half. I'm in section 125 which is silent but the folks there are watching the game. The guys Kept talking so I started "Oh we are at a soccer match, Hey lets talk about WORK!!" The people around me started to laugh ... the tits behind me quote "this is not soccer, real soccer is in europe.. I cant watch this bla bla bla..." at which point I stood up told my friends to stand up for the rest of the match. Paid the tits no attention cause obviously they wont be back..... I wish these Maple Leaf fans would wait for hockey season and stay home...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MoM for me was Robert forsure. Lots of good runs and dodging. Tit of the match was the throng of soccer dads who apparently couldnt sign our songs but could tell me to sit down.. you can imagine how fast that was observed :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DD had a very solid game...honestly, I wonder what some of you are watching...He defended away every set-piece by columbus that came in the air, and he brought more players in to every attack with his one touch lay-offs from long balls.

Sure, it'd be nice if he turned his marker every once and again, but what would be the point? Every time he does, his marker catches up to him before he goes a yard.

He plays to his strengths, and does that very well.

We're five unbeaten, and the entire unit looks very very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio had a good game. If you don't see that your lost. It's obvious however that we need to sign a goalscorer, Cunningham is not going to cut it especially if he's playing as a lone striker. Once we get a goal scorer hopefully DP caliber we should switch to a 4-4-2 with Dichio playing behind the striker. Edu is the logical player to drop from the XI (don't worry Maurice lovers he will still get a ton of playing time)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeachRed View Post

Edu, I thought he was away the last couple of games on Int'l duty

His new nick name the invisible man He was an unknown qty last year, not so much this year, hopefully he gets better as the season goes on

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by def fret View Post
    MOM for me was Marshall. If not for his goalline save, it woulda ended 1-0.
    Scheloto is a bitch.

Yes Marshall for man of the match...not a bad effort by the team, but they must make more of their chances as carver says...bring on UTD!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert and Marshall were both deserving of man of the match honors...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we had a hellova game yesterday and everyone did their job. But my mom was Robert. Creates lots of chances and had the best scoring chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert was a man amongst boys out there yesterday...he created most of the scoring chances for Toronto, he was creating something out of nothing with those long runs he made

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MotM for me is Robinson... He worked all day getting under schelleto's skin. i think robo went in with a plan to irritate the hell out of the crew's best player and he did it brilliantly. You would have to watch robo very closely to see it though, but it was brilliant.

Second is our back four (5 icl. sutts), bloody brilliant covering each other and making sure our usual mistakes didn't end up being goals. And then robert.

Tit of the match is the ref. good game compared to the officiating last year but really should have dealt w/ the dissent and diving in the first couple minutes. ruined the game imo, although everyone needs a villian and he let schelleto become one

almost tit of the match. Edu, he really had an off game, bad passing, bad shots, although his getting into position to shoot was good. Still love him though