RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Seattle signs Kasey Keller

Seattle MLS team signs Kasey Keller

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEATTLE -- Kasey Keller has the chance to fulfill a lifelong dream of finishing his soccer career in his home country and near his hometown.

The former U.S. star goalkeeper signed with Seattle Sounders FC on Thursday, the second player the expansion team has locked up for its inaugural Major League Soccer season in 2009. Keller, a native of the Olympia area about 96 kilometres south, has played all but one year of his professional career in some of Europe's top leagues.

"There were different times where I was close to coming back to MLS," said the 38-year-old Keller, who played most recently with Fulham of the English Premier League. "But D.C.? That isn't home. That's a four- or five-hour plane ride. Florida? I might as well stay in Europe.

"Now the idea of coming home is official," Keller said.

Read more
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a former U.S. national team player entering the league, Keller is subject to entering MLS via allocation rankings. As an expansion team, Seattle had the No. 1 allocation ranking, which it used to acquire Keller.
    Interesting as Seattle doesn't have an allocation ranking right now. Looks like MLS is letting them use their allocation ranking early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably similar to the Brennan situation.