RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Ryan Johnston-No lack of mettle here

No lack of mettle here

For a brief moment during Wednesday's conference call with Canadian men's national team coach Dale Mitchell, I thought Toronto FC head coach John Carver had commandeered the telephone on the other end.
    "One thing everyone needs to understand is that there are clear rules with FIFA as to when you can get the players and when you can't," started Mitchell. "I am not sure why the MLS chooses to ignore international dates ... it is black and white."

With a tone that was a mixture of both disbelief and frustration, the coach of Canada's World Cup squad then applauded Houston Dynamo coach Dominic Kinnear for the understanding he showed in abiding by the rules and releasing star midfielder Dwayne De Rosario and goalkeeper Pat Onstad in time to face Jamaica in World Cup qualifying.

In the midst of an ever-tightening Western Conference playoff race, the Dynamo will play Chivas USA on the very same night its stars line up as members of Mitchell's team at BMO Field in Toronto.

"(Dom) has been good to us over the past couple of years."

While the words were Mitchell's, the tone was unequivocally Carver-ian. Meaning, catch the TFC coach on the right day and he'll spill a bean or two about the head-shaking, brow-rubbing policies the MLS chooses to operate under. The fact that the MLS refuses to acknowledge pre-determined FIFA dates by scheduling league games on the very same night is one of those head-shaking policies.

(Insert head shake, brow rub.)

read more
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An estimated 18,500 tickets have been sold for the August 20 qualifier at BMO Field. There was no mention how many will be Jamaica supporters
    Now that is much better!!!!
    Let's hope most of those are Canadian supporters!!!!! PLEASE!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Ha!

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    ^^ Ha!
    was that a "Ha" as in "yeah right, 3/4 of those people will be cheering for Jamaica"
    ... or was it a "Ha" as in "I'm so happy about Canadian fans finally showing up that I cannot contain my enthusiasm"

?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With that many the majority would have to be Canadian (I would hope and assume).