Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argo's, you have a f*cking stadium, so stay out of ours.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Let's just put the whole "why doesn't MLSE just buy the stadium" point to rest.

They can't. The city can't and won't sell anything on the Ex grounds. The only option for MLSE if they were to own TFC's stadium is to build one off the Ex grounds themselves and move the team.
    Could they not work on exclusive 99 year lease for the stadium? Not saying it will happen (in fact I highly, highly doubt it), but perhaps it is possible?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Could they not work on exclusive 99 year lease for the stadium? Not saying it will happen (in fact I highly, highly doubt it), but perhaps it is possible?
    I doubt either party would want that kind of lease. It restricts both for far too long and still limits them in particular areas of control.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 08-13-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This issue is a non-starter. City won't pump any more money into that stadium (I can just see council trying to debate that one lol); the Argos do not have the $ and the owners will not invest their own cash as it will take decades for them to see ROI based on the revenue streams a 30,000 seat stadium and an 8 home game schedule can provide... and MLSE aren't going to do it for the Argos, so this is all about the Argos getting leverage for their own stadium issues with Rogers Centre.
    Don't let MLSE and the Mayor's office forget that we want BMO to be SSS (meaning real grass and more seating), but don't worry about the Argos, they ain't coming any time soon.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's these points that keep me in the realm of sanity. The fact that I just can't see this as good business for the Argos and just really bad for the fans.

But stranger and dumber things have happened, which is why every time this issue keeps rearing it's ugly head, I want to punch somebody's face in. Preferably one of the Argos owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just pray for the day when MLSE expands by putting up a stand right at the Beer Garden and then a second deck on the south end. At that point it's pretty much over as a possibility, unless the Argos get bought by a russian billionaire.

altho Steve's comment in another thread was a good one... about how If MLSE just delays and avoids talking about expansion at all, then the Argos can't do a thing.
    The Argos could never force their way into BMO by going around MLSE to the city. They don't have the $$$ and they can't break the management agreement, so they always need MLSE as a partner. If MLSE plays dumb (like Peddie and Anselmi seem to do, saying they haven't even looked at expansion) then what can the Argos do?
    They just have to sign on again at Rogers for another 5 year lease term.
    Last edited by rocker; 08-13-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what pisses me off is that the argos want to exercise the right to move in and becuase now they see the opportunity to cry and rant about the fact that the bmo building is not up to code to facilitate them... YOU FUCKING WHINERS.... THE CFL SHOULD BURN IN FLAMES CUASE GOD KNOWS NOT MANY PPL EAST OF MANITOBA ARE WATCHING..

You want BMO fucking take it assholes. Well make sure noone goes to the games and you fuckers fold in a jiffy... then well get the stadium back all to ourselves....

100 plus years trying to get a foothold of football in ontario and yet the bills come to town and your relegated to second best.... "suits you right you wankers..."

Let it be known you will never take our field you guys fucked yourselfs up the asss when you didn't come on board right from the very beginning.... go back and ask ted rogers to shrink the skydome for you .. maybe if you offered free blow jobs by the cheerleaders would i consider coming to see a canadian football game..

wheew now that i got that out of my system i can go back to work.....

ARGOS ARE SHITE just like RED BULLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone noticed that the city was planning for "converstion to a football format?" NFL is a football format. CFL doesn't bring much money, NFL does. NFL can lay down the cash to pay for conversion, roofs, etc. And with the city getting a cut of all concessions and merchandise sales they might be interested in this. And, oddly, an NFL field already fits without changing anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=gtaguy;134301]what pisses me off is that the argos want to exercise the right to move in and becuase now they see the opportunity to cry and rant about the fact that the bmo building is not up to code to facilitate them... YOU FUCKING WHINERS.... THE CFL SHOULD BURN IN FLAMES CUASE GOD KNOWS NOT MANY PPL EAST OF MANITOBA ARE WATCHING..

You want BMO fucking take it assholes. Well make sure noone goes to the games and you fuckers fold in a jiffy... then well get the stadium back all to ourselves....

100 plus years trying to get a foothold of football in ontario and yet the bills come to town and your relegated to second best.... "suits you right you wankers..."

WOW. RELAX MAN!!!!

I know it's an emotionnal topic but there are things to consider:

1. BMO is city owned and they will do what they thinlk is best

2. The ARGOS have a long trdition and after a few lean years, they have Great oeners and are doing well at the gate. They are exploring, as any buisness people would do, option sto grow even more.

3. Football (soccer) does not have a tradition in TO. I laugh when people say that we finally have a team. We had a team. The Lynx and nobody showed up. I did. The USL is the second best socer league in Nort America like the CFL is the second best Football league. They draw 20 000-30 00 and the lynx drew 2000!!! So don't disrespect the Argos and their fans. They are more loyal than the Blue Jays fans.

4. We are entering a recession. I don't think we should build new stadiums but instead fins comprimises.
    Let it be known you will never take our field you guys fucked yourselfs up the asss when you didn't come on board right from the very beginning.... go back and ask ted rogers to shrink the skydome for you .. maybe if you offered free blow jobs by the cheerleaders would i consider coming to see a canadian football game..

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bangersandmash View Post
    Anyone noticed that the city was planning for "converstion to a football format?" NFL is a football format. CFL doesn't bring much money, NFL does. NFL can lay down the cash to pay for conversion, roofs, etc. And with the city getting a cut of all concessions and merchandise sales they might be interested in this. And, oddly, an NFL field already fits without changing anything.
    Very interesting
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I'm disappointed in the Mayor's actions (or lack of) so far. All of his comments (or that of his communications team) have been far too wishy-washy and noncommittal and if you read between the lines, they're basically saying they'd be OK with the Argos moving in. BMO Field is one of the few (if not only) successes of David Miller's time as Mayor - if he allows the Argos in, it will quite rapidly turn from a success into a failure.

The Mayor is saying that the Argos can move in if it doesn't affect the football (soccer) experience. They're trying to get us to talk about details (lines being removed, moveable stands) but once we give an inch, they'll take a mile. This is a football (the real kind) stadium and always should be. Let's hope the Mayor and MLSE get some guts and don't let this success story die away.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bangersandmash View Post
    Problem is the current site is WAY TOO SMALL for a NFL stadium.

So that is a pipe dream.

I know Woodbine Entertainment has land set aside by the racetrack "just in case" the NFL ever wants to come to Toronto.

You need a huge area of land to build a good sized NFL stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    Why is turf completely fine for pro football but not for soccer?
    I don't know how to respond.
    Are you even at all a soccer fan in the slightest?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hell, even NFLers hate FieldTurf!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I was thinking tonight about some of the logistics that are needed to make the stadium "CFL" ready. You can't expand "north" because of the Food building, so it all has to be south, which is possibly since there is nothing there but parking space.
    Says who you can't?
    There is room to expand in the north for about 2,500-3,000 fans.
    And the south expansion would not go to the parking lot because there is a street before then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Problem is the current site is WAY TOO SMALL for a NFL stadium.

So that is a pipe dream.
    Oh, definitely. My point got away from me. What I was originally trying to point out is that BMO is already big enough to support a football format -- American football. There is no need to modify the stadium to fit what city council voted on.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Says who you can't?
    There is room to expand in the north for about 2,500-3,000 fans.
    And the south expansion would not go to the parking lot because there is a street before then.
    you have to add 20 yard endzones on either end.. after that theres no room for stands on the north end

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d like to make 2 points here:

1) I just love how the Argos say they have a rite to use BMO because it's city owned. They have a rite to attempt to lease time just like everyone else does. If the facility is booked say every Friday night at 8:00pm then how will they get to use it? If a group of people were to lease the field for footy for a long term to say block anyone else from it’s use then who are the City to say no, you can’t do that, we won’t take your money for rent when that was one of the key features of this public owned facility?

2) As citizens of the City of Toronto, we have the rite to protest or support a change to any City owned facility and we should make it very clear as citizens that we don't want to spoil the structure. Talks about expanding the stadium to 30k by adding a second tier to the East side should be commented on by the public that live in that area too as it will obstruct views. Building a North end supporter section would not block the view and bring the capacity to 23-25k depending on the size while at the same time permanently fixing the size of the field (outside of spending crazy $ to change later)

Just wanted to make some points.

Bones…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't matter because the NFL has requirements for the building i.e. capacity, ownership, funding by goverment...so on.....BMO, Skydome, anywhere in TO doesn't have the minimum capacity for a NFL football team. I believe that i seen that the mininum is 55,000. Here is the guide of capacity for the NFL: http://www.stadiumguide.com/nfl/capacity.htm .

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know this crap is going to go on for months it seems...this is going to be exhausting but there's no other way..
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyeddo View Post
    This the same David Naylor that poorly runs the U of T? If so, me-thinks he should stop shilling on behalf of his friends and trying to influence situations that don't involve him...

Yea, when I first saw the name, I blurted out laughing. First he tries get us activists at UofT locked up in jail or kicked out of school and now he's trying to take away my beloved stadium.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^
    It's not the same guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who have not read it, here's the council approval that was granted in Oct. 2005 which explains a lot and may answer some questions...including the issue of convertibility, community use, artificial turf etc...
    Twenty-three pages of detailed analysis and whatnots.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/a...9rpt/cl036.pdf
    Last edited by Stugatzo; 08-13-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    True, I think TFC will eventually build their own house. City is being a pain in da ass with this turf and Argos issue.
    maybe they should just build a new stadium outside Toronto

Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    Why is turf completely fine for pro football but not for soccer?
    I've never been as anti-turf as most on here but come on, a soccer midfielder runs 10+km a game how much running does a CFL player do?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stugatzo View Post
    For those who have not read it, here's the council approval that was granted in Oct. 2005 which explains a lot and may answer some questions...including the issue of convertibility, community use, artificial turf etc...
    Twenty-three pages of detailed analysis and whatnots.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/a...9rpt/cl036.pdf
    Stu that's just a proposal.

Not the final contract.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gerry Dobson_blog

Opportunists, johnny-come-latelys, free loaders. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Then it's a duck.

I've always loved the CFL, lived and died with the Argos growing up, and I've covered a fair share of Grey Cups, but this story is driving me crazy.

In October of 2004, Argos co-owner Howard Sokolowski unveiled grand plans for a new 25,000 seat stadium for his team at York University. "Our feeling is very strong that this is the best place to have a football stadium", he said. It was supposed to cost $70 million with the Argos responsible for about $20 million of that. And oh yes, soccer could be played there as well. This all fell apart of course, similar to University of Toronto's plan a few weeks earlier, and a Lamport Stadium plan a few years earlier. Eventually, as we all know, the Argos bolted from every proposal ever made, either by them, or someone else and signed what they thought was the best deal for them at the Rogers Centre.

Since then, the Argos have endured the rousing success of BMO Field's heart thumping atmosphere and jealousy has apparently set in. Now they want back in the stadium game. They say their interest is only exploratory but their actions speak louder than words. If they weren't serious, they wouldn't bother polling their fans on what stadium they would choose, (as if the choice were theirs). They wouldn't bother sending out curious feelers through the media, and they wouldn't bother trying to declare that BMO Field is not really soccer specific when we all know that's exactly what it is.

Here's a breakdown of what Canada's National SOCCER Stadium cost to build: The city came up with $9.8 million and $10 million in donated land for a soccer stadium. The province of Ontario chipped in $8 million for a soccer stadium. MLSE's share was $8 million with $10 million coming from naming rights for a soccer stadium. The other $27 million, by far the largest contribution, came from the federal government. That money was contingent on Canada's National Soccer Stadium being a year round use facility for soccer.

The Argos can say whatever they want about what exactly BMO Field is, but we know what it is, what it isn't, and what it cannot be. Without someone (the Argos) spending nearly as much as it cost to build the place, BMO Field can't possibly handle the monstrously long CFL Field.

There seems to be a general feeling, I suppose based on the historical significance of the CFL, combined with the acute anti-soccer bias that still exists across this country that the Argos matter and Toronto FC, the Canadian men's National Team, and BMO Field as a soccer stadium don't. Think again. The tide has turned in this city. There exists 16,000 TFC season ticket holders and a waiting list of thousands more tell us this is so. The Argos have just over 13,000 and they're not looking over their shoulder to see if soccer is chasing them. In many ways it's already ahead. How else do you explain that it's a CFL team trying to ride the coattails of a soccer success story and not the other way around?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs...15436#comments
    Last edited by denime; 08-13-2008 at 11:44 AM.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF this happens it WILL destroy every bit of progress this sport has made and I fear that's exactly what some people want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well said both of you...couldn't agree more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are valid points raised here and we need to bring them to the attention of people outside these boards.
    As flush said, register an account (it's free) and join the discussion on the article's page.