Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Expansion: Stunning Development?

According to this, two of these three cities will become MLS expansion teams: Montreal, Vancouver and Portland. It is MLS rumors, so take it with a grain of salt, but they are right on occasion (the Cunningham deal for instance) so make of that what you will.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/08/re...have-been.html

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don;t we have Canadian rights to the MLS until the 2011 season?

or. . . Am I off a wee bit.

COME ON PORTLAND!
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh, its still MLS Rumors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of USL1??

both cities chosen have USL1 franchises and that the existing USL clubs have
    allegedly signed non-compete agreements that will see the existing teams dropped
    to USL2 or lower, effective 2011.
    I know it's MLSRumors and all, but once in a while they get something right.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    End of USL1??

I know it's MLSRumors and all, but once in a while they get something right.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post

COME ON PORTLAND!
    the exclusivity went til 2010.. I wouldn't have expected another Canadian team by 2010 anyways since Seattle gets in 2009 and Philly 2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand the non competitive agreements with existing teams dropping to USL-2. All stories I see suggest, that Montreal and Vancouver want to bring their existing teams up.

Interesting read, if nothing else though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm certain I read that Toronto would be willing to waive thier exclusivity rights when rumours about Montreal wanting to come in early first surfaced. But you guys are right, no team will get in before those rights expire anyways.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They wouldnt have 2 west teams and they wouldnt have 2 canadian teams. So, this suggests Portland and Montreal. But why did they include Vancouver? This is crap if you think about it.
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think TFC would be mad to not let Montreal into the league ASAP. if any of you were in Montreal and for most of you who were at the Montreal game at BMO field this year, you will know that this rivalry is real and that a Derby twice a year is good for TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see montreal and vancouver in time but honestly i bet its one eastern team and one western team, one canadian and one american.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfellow View Post
    They wouldnt have 2 west teams and they wouldnt have 2 canadian teams. So, this suggests Portland and Montreal. But why did they include Vancouver? This is crap if you think about it.
    Could also be Vancouver and St Louis (granted St Louis could/would be considered western but its not as west as portland)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfellow View Post
    By 2010 MLS will be single table, they wont be concerned with east/west crap.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    I think TFC would be mad to not let Montreal into the league ASAP. if any of you were in Montreal and for most of you who were at the Montreal game at BMO field this year, you will know that this rivalry is real and that a Derby twice a year is good for TFC.
    I don't understand how letting Montreal into the league ASAP would be good for TFC. They can't sell anymore tickets than they already are selling and it would add competition (who have a grass pitch) for Canadian players.

Would be fun though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are expanding WAY too fast. Getting greedy now that the expansion fee has gone so high. Unfortunately for us it means the quality of the game will continue to decline for the next 5 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    They are expanding WAY too fast. Getting greedy now that the expansion fee has gone so high. Unfortunately for us it means the quality of the game will continue to decline for the next 5 years.
    i would have thought the same thing, but the ccc showed us usl is not far off.. they can use the same team, maybe get 3-4 players (no need to replace all 18). Talent pool will be fine. Increase the salary cap and like that you attract/keep foreigners here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    Hockey expanded too fast because there wasn't a big enough talent pool - no matter how much money an expansion team had. Are you saying there aren't enough players to fill the new roster spots, even if the salary cap is increased?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soccer's talent pool is never exhausted.. it's the one advantage it has over all other sports... it's the global game. The problem is making your league attractive enuf for them, eg, $$.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by profit89 View Post
    Soccer's talent pool is never exhausted.. it's the one advantage it has over all other sports... it's the global game. The problem is making your league attractive enuf for them, eg, $$.
    QFT...if the salary cap is raised, this issue resolves itself.

But I agree that the league is getting greedy. They want the 40 or 50 mill in franchise fees, but they haven't increased the salary cap to the same degree as the value of the franchises has increased. A 2.5mill salary cap for an 18 man roster is ridiculous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 points...

1) talent is already pretty thin.

2) Don't forget about the possibility of relocation. (St. Louis Crew...)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another issue is that they gotta expand the first team from 18 to 24, that shit shows when we (mls teams) play in those tournies

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    2 points...

1) talent is already pretty thin.

2) Don't forget about the possibility of relocation. (St. Louis Crew...)

columbus would never relocate... they have a sss stadium.. what woud that tell other cities.. "build us a sss stadium but that does not guarantee we stay in your city".. columbus wass one of the flagship franchises of the league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    columbus would never relocate... they have a sss stadium.. what woud that tell other cities.. "build us a sss stadium but that does not guarantee we stay in your city".. columbus wass one of the flagship franchises of the league
    As pathetic as Columbus is, KC to me falls first in line for relocation because they do not have an SSS. I think they have plans for one, but until construction starts, they are #1 for relocation should it occur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USL looks comparable to MLS in direct competition primarily because of the psychological advantage of being the underdog and being more up for the match. The success that they do have hardly comes through playing entertaining soccer, either.

I want to see the salary cap raised to allow the quality get better in this league, but adding 6 teams this quickly is going to negate that - we'll just be paying more for the same level players (or worse) because demand will be so much higher.

There's only so many players that fit into the MLS criteria $400,000 (maybe 500-600 after new CBA) tops, no transfer fee, domestic, no ambitions to play overseas. Look at how much trouble we're having finding a decent striker even with a tonne of cap room and allocation money. Now imagine it if another 15 strikers tired up.

Meanwhile the salary cap will be raised only modestly because some clubs don't generate enough revenue to keep up. Unless they decide to MOVE teams to the new locations they really need to think about a 5 year break from expansion after Philly. Nothing against the teams mentioned - there's some real potential for good markets there - but the only reason they are adding these teams is the ballooning $50M expansion fee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    QFT...if the salary cap is raised, this issue resolves itself.

But I agree that the league is getting greedy. They want the 40 or 50 mill in franchise fees, but they haven't increased the salary cap to the same degree as the value of the franchises has increased. A 2.5mill salary cap for an 18 man roster is ridiculous.
    Well, the people putting up 40 or 50 million bucks will have a big say over things like salary cap and roster size. The players want a higher cap and these new owners want a bigger cap.

Like all things, the timing will be the thing. This league looks good, though, and ready to make a big jump. We'll see it over the next five years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

COME ON PORTLAND!
    I think you are right on that one actually. I seem to remember someone from the MLSE brass saying that wouldn't be a sticking point if expansion did come Canada's way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't understand why vancouver keeps getting the nod before montreal. surely having an actual stadium to play in already gives them an advantage. there isn't even a deal set for where a vancouver stadium would be placed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    According to this, two of these three cities will become MLS expansion teams: Montreal, Vancouver and Portland. It is MLS rumors, so take it with a grain of salt, but they are right on occasion (the Cunningham deal for instance) so make of that what you will.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/08/re...have-been.html
    There's a follow-up comment on there about a terrible choice and a bad stadium location. Sounds like Miami, doesn't it (i.e., none of the three cities mentioned in the original post)

I_AM_CANADIAN

COME ON PORTLAND!
    I think the deal is that the expansion will happen for the 2011 season, seeing as we've got Seattle coming in next year, and Philly the following year. We better get at least one other canadian team out of this, though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    The city didn't pay for this stadium. Also, Crew stadium is built on the Columbus fair grounds, and has a permanent concert stage. Since the Germain amphitheater closed down it would be mighty attractive for the city of columbus to purchase. They could use it for concerts, festivals, and high school football championships. The Crew are a highly movable team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    As pathetic as Columbus is, KC to me falls first in line for relocation because they do not have an SSS. I think they have plans for one, but until construction starts, they are #1 for relocation should it occur.
    demolition of the area where the stadium will be built has begun. It's one of those markets that you want to move, but can't, like the phoenix coyotes.

the most moveable team in the league is Chivas. they draw like crap and have no fans, making them perfect for a move.

Quote Originally Posted by King Jeff View Post
    There's a follow-up comment on there about a terrible choice and a bad stadium location. Sounds like Miami, doesn't it (i.e., none of the three cities mentioned in the original post)
    sounds like Collinsville (St.Louis) to me. Miami is out of the running. They missed the deadline on their stadium. The City was going to kick in funds and property if they found an owner who would chip in the rest. They didn't, now it's over, and everyone can breathe a collective sigh of relief.