0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Im sure Becks will stay and honor his contract. Dude is rolling in dosh and stardom, plus Sticky Vicky is soaking up attention in hollywood. Some suggest Arena will be hired, wouldnt be surprised there. There is defo going be a team change for the better
    "Dude" has an opt-out at the end of this MLS year. He could be in the EPL by January. I'd bet on it, personally.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real Grass? The refs use real grass before every game.

You want some toxic shite smoke real turf.

I posted this in the news thread a while back thinking it belonged there.......

Maybe we should draft Mats Sundein, Steve Nash and Kathyrn Humphries. Put her at center back and watch the opposition lose their concentration........

S

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Erm the same can be said for the Leafs....
    The gals have won it in recent memory, the Leafs haven't. How are they similar?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    "Dude" has an opt-out at the end of this MLS year. He could be in the EPL by January. I'd bet on it, personally.
    I guess we will just wait and see then wont we.
    Should be interesting to see what Dude does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't..he likes the money hes getting here, and he wants to own a MLS franchise after his playing days are done. Not much chance of the latter happening if he bails on the league. the Galaxy put too much on three players trying to win the MLS Cup..they still might do it, but they need to build around Becks with top US talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We heard the same rumours about Beckham leaving last year, I doubt it's happening.

Despite the money EPL teams have he is worth more money to MLS than to an EPL team. His sponsors are going to tell that to him as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    As funny as it is to our lot this makes our league look a joke.

...Granted only to people who know nothing about our game but still...
    agreed,..on both counts

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    Holy LOL
    reposting this shit from page 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in emails from NCAA & NSCAA contacts....

Gullit resigned Monday morning
    Gullit and Lalas had developed mutual disrespect for each other
    Both Lalas and Liewieke brought players in
    Gullit often out of the loop, re player acquisitions, trades, loans, etc.
    Gullit treated players like sh!t, got fed up with too vast of a talent pool
    Gullit says WTF! Puts house up for sale in mid July, house sold on Saturday

Gullit was not hired by Lalas, hired by AEG CEO Liewieke, on a referral from the Beckham group to coach - he was hired in November, but made his debut at training camp in January after the draft. fwiw, I can confirm that Gullit was not sitting at the LAG table during the 2008 draft, I was sitting about 35 feet away from their table

AEG Mgmt (Liewieke) fired Lalas later in the day, his contract was up at season's end - why wait!

Jones is Liewieke's conduit, and will probably finish season as interim coach

lots of similarities between LAG & TFC

Liewieke & Peddie are idiots when it comes to sports (hockey (LA Kings) & soccer) but very astute business men

Lalas & Johnson are out of their depth

similarities end

Gullit's a quitter; and Carver's a fighter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would add this to the professor's comment about Lalas and Johnson being out of their depth: don't forget that the two of them are close.

They played together in KC, and Lalas hired Johnson in New York.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him pop up here in some capacity.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That'll be the end of Mo if it happens. It's hard for people in the business world to see these things with any objectivity because it's customary in that world to never say shit even if you've got a mouthful, but Lalas comes with Cunningham-cancer-like baggage at this point.

It's also worth noting Mo probably didn't do himself any favours with his team when he suggested Cunningham might end out staying if he kept playing hard, in an obvious attempt to cover his own butt for not being able to get another striker in. That kind of stuff is getting pretty old.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

It's also worth noting Mo probably didn't do himself any favours with his team when he suggested Cunningham might end out staying if he kept playing hard, in an obvious attempt to cover his own butt for not being able to get another striker in. That kind of stuff is getting pretty old.
    This is what you/we see. Here's what MLSE sees:

- team is competitive (more wins after 19 games than they got in 30 games last year)
    - profits increased 2008 vs 2007 (added Canada Cup games were near sellouts, plus friendlies were much less costly)
    - lots of press around what a genius Mo is at the draft, plus he's still dining out on stealing Marvell from the Red Bulls

Mo is safe for now, even if the other league GMs snicker at his overall player acquisition record

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparing Mo to Lalas? I know people have a problem with Mo, but come on, you can't compare the destruction of TWO franchises by Lalas to Mo's building effort which so far, hasn't been a failure if not a complete success. Lalas has had two of the biggest franchises in MLS at his discretion, all the money and facilities he needs and the ability to attract the biggest star in football. And yet he failed.

Mo has been using a conservative building plan, with a fraction of the budget at the Galaxy, in a new franchise with no grass, in a city that no one wants to play soccer in.

And we are going to say both are similar? In what sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE was probably also well aware how difficult it would be to sign players to an expansion team in Canada - at least for the first couple of years.

Maybe they underestimated what an effect the turf would have, maybe not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Comparing Mo to Lalas? I know people have a problem with Mo, but come on, you can't compare the destruction of TWO franchises by Lalas to Mo's building effort which so far, hasn't been a failure if not a complete success. Lalas has had two of the biggest franchises in MLS at his discretion, all the money and facilities he needs and the ability to attract the biggest star in football. And yet he failed.

Mo has been using a conservative building plan, with a fraction of the budget at the Galaxy, in a new franchise with no grass, in a city that no one wants to play soccer in.

And we are going to say both are similar? In what sense?
    Yes.
    Thank you.
    The two are not even remotely comparable.
    Sure Mo MAY (and i use that hesitantly because the week isnt over yet) have failed to get us the striker we need to possibly make it to the playoffs but that has been for the most part his only shortcoming this season. Overall hes done quite well as far as player/coach acquisition is concerned and i think its ridiculous to compare him to Alexi Lalas who single handedly took apart a team with great promise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gals have won it in recent memory, the Leafs haven't. How are they similar?
    Because they have won more times than any other team, save one. It's actually exactly the same as you said.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're overlooking the point on purpose, which adds nothing to the dialogue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're overlooking the point on purpose, which adds nothing to the dialogue.
    I'm not overlooking anything.

Except they have actually won the championship more than anyone else save for DC United.

Next?
    You were stating what you felt to be fact (next?) and didn't have your facts right, that's all. You brought up history, so I corrected your history.

How does:

LA have won the championship more than anyone else save for DC United

differ from:

The Leafs have won the championship more than anyone else save for Montreal

?

Statistically, the Leafs have won 13% of the league's championships, while LA has won 16%, so not a big difference. Leafs take enough bashing that's deserved, let alone undeserved.

Whatever....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's just me, but I don't count anything in baseball from before 1947 when it was all-white and I don't count anything in hockey from before 1967 when there were only six teams and really, only Montreal, Toronto and Detroit ever really won anything.

It's kind of like that, the Fire won the MLS championship in the first year argument - every other team was only in its second year.

But, back on point, TFC is still getting better, hitting some bumps on the road and working on them and LA aren't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Galaxy were an original team too, before expansion. Dang, maybe RPB_Brantford_08 was right in the first place.

But whatever the case, ML$E can laugh at another franchise for a change.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    I know it's just me, but I don't count anything in baseball from before 1947 when it was all-white and I don't count anything in hockey from before 1967 when there were only six teams and really, only Montreal, Toronto and Detroit ever really won anything.

It's kind of like that, the Fire won the MLS championship in the first year argument - every other team was only in its second year.

But, back on point, TFC is still getting better, hitting some bumps on the road and working on them and LA aren't.

This is the way I am thinking. When it's convenient, people say the Leaf Stanley Cup wins are before expansion, but when it's convenient, they say it's still Stanley Cup wins. All I know is I am 30 and they have never won in my lifetime.

The Gals won last in what, 2002? A much different case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what you/we see. Here's what MLSE sees:

- team is competitive (more wins after 19 games than they got in 30 games last year)
    - profits increased 2008 vs 2007 (added Canada Cup games were near sellouts, plus friendlies were much less costly)
    - lots of press around what a genius Mo is at the draft, plus he's still dining out on stealing Marvell from the Red Bulls

Mo is safe for now, even if the other league GMs snicker at his overall player acquisition record
    I hardly think they're going to attribute the team's profits to mo or the team's performance. That would be asinine, as there's no suggested correlation.

Plus, the team is only marginally more competitive, and only after Mo agreed to step aside from coaching -- which he wasn't really even willing to do, by staying on the sidelines.

And I don't think MLSE gives a hoot one way or another about the Marvell Wynnes of the world; as you point out, the owners care about money, and Marvell Wynne isn't putting butts in the seats.

No, I have to disagree on this one, Ensco. Not every organization is so lacking in proactivity that they can't recognize problems during the financial good times; his ongoing inability to sign players when other teams (including those playing on field turf) have been able to do so has to be ticking someone off the front office. On top of that, it's obvious now to them that he was full of it at the field level last year, compared with the structure that Carver has put in place, so that will have engendered some distrust as well.

I think you're right to an extent, which is that the team's financial and fanbase stability gives him more time than he would otherwise get. But if we struggle througha third year of both mediocre performances and a lack of new talent, his leash will get shorter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    No, I have to disagree on this one, Ensco. Not every organization is so lacking in proactivity that they can't recognize problems during the financial good times; his ongoing inability to sign players when other teams (including those playing on field turf) have been able to do so has to be ticking someone off the front office.
    Is TFC really so much behind other teams in signing available players this year?

Also, they would have to consider who to bring in and what kind of contract to offer - and who would accept it. If the team, in only its second year, gets a reputation for panic and meddling from the front office it will certainly reduce the pool of experienced managers willing to come on board.

I mean, they already have the Leafs being turned down by all the quality coaches and GMs....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently that fatfuck moron Bruce Arena is in LA for the Chivas-Galaxy game.
    Im guessing new coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah that 's true...AEG guy Tim W all but confirmed it too the announcers on the LA Chivas game in the first half

for those who care 1-0 LAG up at half time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1-1 50th minute

2-1 for Chivas 63rd minute
    Last edited by sidvan; 08-14-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st MLS coach to have 3rd tour of duty = Bruce Arena

DC United (1996-98)
    NY Red Bulls (2006-07)
    LA Galaxy (2008)
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...to-be-nam.html
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soc...rena_ball.html

Cobi also to be retained an assistant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is TFC really so much behind other teams in signing available players this year?
    nope.. there's a thread on Big Soccer that lists the incoming and outgoing players during this season, and TFC have not been any less active than most teams. A couple teams have made a lot of moves: New York, San Jose, NE, and Dallas. San Jose is not surprising, since their team was not settled. Just like TFC did last year, they've brought in and kicked out a lot of guys.

8 MLS teams have actually made fewer signings than TFC has, including three that have worse records than TFC does.

Source: http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showt...=724134&page=7

Since most TFC fans don't follow other MLS teams closely, they seem to think TFC has been slower in signings, but really TFC is just about average in terms of bringing players in during the season.
    Last edited by rocker; 08-16-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, they already have the Leafs being turned down by all the quality coaches and GMs....
    Seriously off-topic but... dude, everyone knows that Fletcher is keeping the seat warm for Burke, who (deservedly or not... another issue entirely) is considered to be one of the best GMs around. He would be here now if LA had released him from his contract.