Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Show (MLS) the Money

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/08/re...mls-board.html

if they want 50 million for a franchise now, how about raising the pathetic 2.3 million salary cap too so that the level of play can rise throughout the league, instead of just giving away DP spots. Since toronto joined the league, the salary cap has gone up $400,000 from 1.9 million to 2.3 million. so while the franchise fee goes up 400% the salary cap goes up 21%.... this league is full of parody, it truley DOES deserve to be made fun of still. (and i mean the people running the league, not the teams and players). i've said it before and i'll say it again. i love TFC but i hate MLS.
    Last edited by Kickit09; 08-08-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think we have to suffer through next season before any major cap increases. they won't want to give the players lots of extra money before negotiations for the next CBA.
    they have to negotiate during the 2009 season (I would think earlier rather than later) cuz the contract ends in Jan 2010.

negotiations should be interesting.. but i think a lot of clubs are gonna want increases and fewer restrictions too (not just the players). Mojo said as much on GolTV recently.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are 2 sides to this.

1) The league has to wait until the current CBA expires until they can increase the roster size and increase the salary cap subsantially.

2) The other side is that while they cannot substantially increase the salary cap..they do have some discretion and have been using it to increase the salary cap from year to year. Surely at this point, especially with the introduction of several teams, especially TFC and the addition of a superstar like Beckham in the mix...you surely should increase it more than the barely 2% that they increased it for this season. It was severely disappointing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    There are 2 sides to this.

1) The league has to wait until the current CBA expires until they can increase the roster size and increase the salary cap subsantially.

2) The other side is that while they cannot substantially increase the salary cap..they do have some discretion and have been using it to increase the salary cap from year to year. Surely at this point, especially with the introduction of several teams, especially TFC and the addition of a superstar like Beckham in the mix...you surely should increase it more than the barely 2% that they increased it for this season. It was severely disappointing.

Why would you assume they can't "substantially" increase the cap? About half the teams are now profitable, but the huge swath of US football fans who watch Euro, South American and Mexican teams but refuse to follow MLS will never buy in until the quality improves. That appears to have gone as far as it can without substantial improvements to the league's depth -- and I say that based on the fact that more quality players are now leaving MLS than joining it.

They could easily -- easily -- double the salary cap to $5.4 million and not one of the owners in this league would break a financial sweat, regardless of how well the teams are doing at the gate. Hell, MLS is the FIFTH BEST ATTENDED league in the world, ahead of Serie B, ahead of several divisions in England, ahead of top Scandinavian leagues. Either there has been a lot of book fiddling going on for a long time, incompetence of the most gross form, or the league is just full of shit if it says the money isn't there.

And before everyone gets into the TV revenue argument I propose that a) they'll never get a good TV deal here without upping the excitement around the league via an improved standard and b) very few of those Euro leagues are getting the kind of money Setanta and Sky are floating around the top divisions.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all comes down to showing your hand before the next CBA is negotiated.

But in an effort to keep future costs down (and not give away too much in the next negotiations) they are hurting the current product.

And let's not ignore the fact that the players union is going to be making some serious demands...we could be facing a labour dispute at the next contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the same time the league (if they are smart) should weigh the benefits of renegotiating the CBA now. They simply can not afford a strike, it would crush this league.

Also, an increase in the quality of play at this piont while they have some momentum, could pay dividends. Everything is looking good right now, might not be the case at the end of next season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They obviously feel keeping the salaries low pays better dividends than renegotiating now. Why increase salary costs before you have to? Business-wise it just doesnt make sense since they can make the case that they can pull in the same revenues with the current CBA that increasing salary costs wouldn't add to their bottom line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you think they'd have to seriously renegotiate the existing deal to increase the salary cap now? Do you think the players association would oppose an increase in the cap? The only challenge would be that existing players may be underpaid, but I'd expect that teams would try to ensure that they keep the highest quality players and perhaps bump a few salaries. An increase in roster size (along with the cap increase) would be welcomed by the players association - more players in the league = bigger association.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kickit09 View Post
    http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/08/re...mls-board.html

if they want 50 million for a franchise now, how about raising the pathetic 2.3 million salary cap too so that the level of play can rise throughout the league, instead of just giving away DP spots. Since toronto joined the league, the salary cap has gone up $400,000 from 1.9 million to 2.3 million. so while the franchise fee goes up 400% the salary cap goes up 21%.... this league is full of parody, it truley DOES deserve to be made fun of still. (and i mean the people running the league, not the teams and players). i've said it before and i'll say it again. i love TFC but i hate MLS.
    Not only that, but there is little justification for such a large franchise fee other than the fact that the demand has increased for clubs. I mean, if the league was offering better services and a larger cut of the shared revenues for the clubs it would make sense. But you're right to point out the farce of it all when potential owners have to pay 50 million to get a franchise while the salary cap remains a pitiful 2.3 million. Of course, I have confidence that the cap is going to increase for 2009, I have my doubts that it will be what ourselves or the players are hoping for. I think 5 million is competitive enough for most clubs to afford and to entice foreign players to consider MLS.

And the cap isn't the only thing wrong either when it comes to player compensation. I recall a recent article in which MLS players playing in Superliga weren't getting even half of the prize money to share amongst themselves. Apparently, the league and their club were taking a large cut of the cash, and that's why they weren't as gung-ho for the tourney as the Mexican clubs and Garber's cronies.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 08-08-2008 at 09:02 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, just double the current and make it $5.4 million, and give teams a second DP slot. That'll give each team one more bonafide star, and make the wages down the line liveable at the poor end and enticing at the top end, at least for the best of the second tier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only do they need to increase the salary cap, but they need more players on the roster. I think in europe most teams have 26 on the first team, and then have reserves etc. We have only 18 with 10 developmental.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, just double the current and make it $5.4 million, and give teams a second DP slot. That'll give each team one more bonafide star, and make the wages down the line liveable at the poor end and enticing at the top end, at least for the best of the second tier.
    Quote Originally Posted by torfchamilton View Post
    Not only do they need to increase the salary cap, but they need more players on the roster. I think in europe most teams have 26 on the first team, and then have reserves etc. We have only 18 with 10 developmental.
    In my opinion, the best case scenario is that the official roster goes up to 22 players (1 sub/reserve player for every starter) and teams are allowed 2 DP allocations - 1 for the MF/FW position and another for DF/GK.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.