Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Portland joinning MLS!

well last night Seattle was playing at Portland on Fox Sports World and they said Portland are pushing to get a team in 2011. And if they do get a team welcome aboard because they deffinitly had a sick atmosphere last night. The stadium was a little wierd shaped because its a baseball stadium but it didnt look that bad to be honest. And with the roof on that stadium it sounded amazing, the singing was louder and more clear then any team in MLS right now. Makes me wish we had a roof

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've announced their formal bid, but nothing has been finalized. They will be competing against Van. and Mtl.

And they would need a new stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oct 15 is the deadline for applications... then MLS will announce around the MLS Cup or in 2009.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    They've announced their formal bid, but nothing has been finalized. They will be competing against Van. and Mtl.

And they would need a new stadium.

They need a new baseball stadium and minor renovations to PGE park. The stadium they are in now is the stadium they plan to use in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

their stadium is a joke. one side is a street (you can watch for free standing there) and one side is a building (also free).

however, their fans are really good. I was there for last year's friendlies. They sang the Canadian national anthem! They deserve a MLS team.
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have my doubts Portland is gonna get a franchise over other cities like Vancouver, Montreal, or St. Louis. I'm not ruling them out in the long term, mind.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I have my doubts Portland is gonna get a franchise over other cities like Vancouver, Montreal, or St. Louis. I'm not ruling them out in the long term, mind.
    If the organization can meet the requirements, then they should. The support out there knows what they're doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they have a good chance. The MLS wants a Toronto style fanbase, but in the USA. Portland is their best chance at that, imo. Instant rivalry with Seattle too. The only concern would be the size of the market and how much value it would ad to the TV contracts. (which is Van and Mont problem too.)

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    If the organization can meet the requirements, then they should. The support out there knows what they're doing.
    Oh, I'm very familiar with their crowds for USL. But we all know that won't be enough for any team. Is there a solid stadium plan in place? How will games be televised? etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think they will make an excellent addition to the league, just not anytime soon I don't think.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what i read on a facebook group for Portland supporters is that the Baseball team that currently play at this stadium called PGE Park have plans to build a new baseball park while Portland Timbers plan to renovate the PGE park and add an extra stand so it will look like a real soccer stadium.

They have great fans and i would rather they get a team then say St.Louis or Las Vegas or Atlanta or basicly over any other USA city. However Montreal also deserves a team just as much as Portland and they are a step ahead of Portland as far as stadium goes. Only problem is Portland isnt a big city and thats the worry that MLS wont give them a team for that reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if the Baseball team is to leave all the Portland Timbers really need to do is add a new stand on the opposite side. The stand probably wouldnt be as big as the other 2 sides but it would be a pretty decent stadium i must say. ANd right in the city center unlike other MLS teams who play in the suburbs.
    Last edited by james; 08-08-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that grass or turf there? I see lines on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    if the Baseball team is to leave all the Portland Timbers really need to do is add a new stand on the opposite side. The stand probably wouldnt be as big as the other 2 sides but it would be a pretty decent stadium i must say. ANd right in the city center unlike othjer MLS teams who play in the suburbs.
    I would add a small group of seats, luxury suites, and a media centre to that side...

Get the rich corporate money for the boxes with their own entrance, corporate money for the limited number of seats and having their own concessions etc etc etc - and have the TV camera on that side facing the fans...

Also doing so, they could put the supporters right at the half - making them visible to the TV cameras (like DC United)...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They already have the cameras at the end with no stand so when they are on TV you are facing the end with the stands. On TV you cant tell that the opposite side has no stand.

The supporters currently stand behind the goal.

The Stadium opened in 1926 and currently holds 19,566 for Soccer games. Id say add a 5,000 or so seat stand on the side with out a stand and it would be pretty nice.
    Last edited by james; 08-08-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

honestly, love of SSSs all aside, i love this ballpark. it's old and fairly intimate. the park has history. portland already draws exceptionally well for a USL team, better than many mls teams. put a stand in that left field and you'll have one of the most unique, aesthetic, best atmopheres in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy misleading thread titles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RicoSuave44 View Post
    honestly, love of SSSs all aside, i love this ballpark. it's old and fairly intimate. the park has history. portland already draws exceptionally well for a USL team, better than many mls teams. put a stand in that left field and you'll have one of the most unique, aesthetic, best atmopheres in MLS.
    ya i agree, i usually dont like teams playing in stadiums other then SSS ones. But in this case it could be made into a sweet soccer stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the best they can do with a baseball park, but still - I *hate* that kind of distance between the audience and the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i read somewhere that they would move the field closer to the stands on the one side, and then build permanent seats at the end that extend out to the one goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would put Portland over St. Louis for 2 reasons. Deep pocket ownership and a built stadium. St. Louis has plans for a SSS and a community to be built around it but that's it. As far as ownership goes St. Louis is still looking for a sugardaddy while Portland has the money, ownership, and fanbase to make Portland a MLS market.
    I do think St. Louis will be in the MLS but at a later date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a pic from the 2003 women's world cup with temp. stands along the side

Capacity was about 27,500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the best part about the stadium, not only the downtown setting, but note the LRT lines on the bottom of the pic. Public transit=Epic win!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got bored, here's what PGE could be:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckPete View Post
    Holy misleading thread titles.
    Indeed