Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, I think I'm at the point now, that I'l believe it when I see it.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I don't think I would believe my eyes if it did happen either.

Kidding aside, I don't think a DP would have done us much good in '07, but we sure could have used one for this season. Contrary to what the club is feeding us, it's actually not all that hard to sign the high-quality striker that we need.

No really. Clubs all over the world make those kinda signings on a regular basis. We shouldn't be any different. Which again proves to me that the purse strings are closed on the part of the club.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thsi really pisses me off...Mo saying he doesn't believe in briniging ina DP in the 1st or second year is BS, what was the Huckerby, Dickov, Musampa, etc, etc, fiascos all about then...this is damage control for sure...I think they may be writing this year off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have pretty much lost all confidence in Mo. Keep Carver, let Mo go.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, Huckerby, Dickov and Musampa were not DPs and definitely not worth paying DP money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by invictusTFC View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the current season would only have been interrupted once thus far for approximately one week. Hardly anything for the MLS to worry about. Furthermore, these FIFA international interruptions would benefit teams. Players who are suffering from nagging injuries would have a full week or so to recover properly. With an 18-man roster teams can use time to recover. It would also provide teams time to refine tactics and so forth. In some cases teams might find it advantageous to schedule Int'l friendlies during this time in stead of working them into an already hectic schedule.
    Yeah but we usually have like three games scheduled in that week.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    ^
    Kidding aside, I don't think a DP would have done us much good in '07, but we sure could have used one for this season. Contrary to what the club is feeding us, it's actually not all that hard to sign the high-quality striker that we need.

No really. Clubs all over the world make those kinda signings on a regular basis. We shouldn't be any different. Which again proves to me that the purse strings are closed on the part of the club.
    For the most part I do agree with this statement.
    Granted we have to find one that fits.
    Also youve got to remember that its not MLSE that decides on the cap, its the MLS. Im certain that if the chance arose (such as Nuno Gomes, who certainly wouldnt have come at a cheap price) to sign one of value MLSE will do so. I dont blame them for not tossing money at players randomly.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ DP signings only take $400,000 from the team's salary allowance, the remaining balance doesn't fall under the cap. We currently have more than $400,000 left to work with.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Dude, Huckerby, Dickov and Musampa were not DPs and definitely not worth paying DP money
    ORLY?

huckerby and Dickov were not going to be DP's HMMMMMM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think we are all getting DPed my mo.
    1 wk to go mo get something done.....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something is going to happen in the future?

Thats great news!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    Its going to be DeRo, I'd put money on it.
    Yes.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo sounds like a plan...I'm willing to deal with no signings for the rest of this year if it means DeRo next season.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whos writin the season off?
    Mos only said we wont be getting a dp this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    DeRo sounds like a plan...I'm willing to deal with no signings for the rest of this year if it means DeRo next season.....
    Me too.

Its such a good business decision... think how many DeRo jerseys will sell. In fact, I think I'm going to start a poll...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too play devil's advocate, I think Dero would not bring the return that a major international star would bring. To increase exposure across Canada, TFC needs a household name to soccer fans. Dero just doesn't do that outside of Southern Ontario. Now, from the perspective of the quality in play on the field he would be awesome. Which way do you think MLSE and TFC think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started a new Poll to test my theory.

(I just ordered my DeRo CMNT Jersey last week)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kickit09 View Post
    are you people assuming DeRo is going to come here just because he's canadian?
    Also because of the fact he's said he'd love to play here. And from his comments at the All Star game that he loves playing here. And the fact that we want him as he's one of the best players for the MLS and CMNT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless TFC has already got a deal in place for the rights to DeRo ...... the DP is not being saved for him. Regardless of whether he resigns with Houston or not ..... they will own his rights and we will have to trade for them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Ya, I think I'm at the point now, that I'l believe it when I see it.

What he said ^ ^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he didn’t say he'd love to play here, he said he loves to play here. big difference. a lot of opposing players love to play here (on the other team). and wanting a player dosent do shit. most people here wanted ameobi, huckerby, dickov, gerba, ect... and where are they now. and i just dont think him being canadian gives us an advantage. Nash doesnt play for the raptors, and NONE of the best canadian hockey players play in canada.... don’t get me wrong, i'd love DeRo here, but im just not going to get my hopes up based on nothing more than wishes and assumptions.
    Here's a read for ya and all the other people who think this won't happen. Trust me, it will. I just want it sooner than later.

==============================

March 30, 2007 Dwayne De Rosario comments on Toronto (from Toronto Star)

De Rosario hopes to end MLS career on his home turf

Scarborough native would ditch Houston for a shot with Toronto

Mar 30, 2007 04:30 AM
    MORGAN CAMPBELL
    SPORTS REPORTER

DANIEL ISLAND, S.C.–Houston Dynamo midfielder Dwayne De Rosario shuffles into a hotel lobby and flops down in a leather chair.

After spending last Sunday helping Canada's national team defeat Bermuda 3-0, De Rosario jetted to Charleston, S.C., and jumped into twice-daily practice sessions during his team's final pre-season tournament, the Carolina Challenge Cup.

And he's exhausted.

After Wednesday night's 1-1 tie against the Charleston Battery, De Rosario's schedule yesterday included nothing more strenuous than a 30-minute interview.

Six weeks from now, life figures to be a little more hectic for the Canadian Soccer Association's player of the year.

On May 16, Houston visits Toronto FC, marking the Scarborough native's first pro game in Toronto in more than a decade, and possibly providing a preview of how De Rosario would like to end his career. At home.

"Most definitely (I'd like to play for Toronto someday)," said De Rosario, who began his pro career with the Toronto Lynx in 1997. "It would be a great opportunity to feel like I'm giving back to my community, and I think the MLS is realizing there's a huge market in Toronto."

Nearly 500 relatives, friends and acquaintances have already told him they plan to attend May 16.

"And they all want jerseys," says De Rosario, a finalist for MLS' goal of the year and MVP trophies last season.

After the game, he plans to throw a charity fundraiser party at a downtown nightclub.

De Rosario says playing in Toronto would give him and other players an unprecedented platform to improve the quality of soccer in the city.

"When I was growing up we didn't have a pro team to look forward to," said De Rosario, who has scored 38 goals in 138 career MLS games. "Hopefully we can keep a lot of the local talent local and they won't feel they have to go overseas like a lot of us had to."

De Rosario spent two years with a German second-division team, often enduring racial taunts from fans, before returning to the A-League in 1999.

With two years left on his contract, De Rosario doesn't expect to play for Toronto soon. He said winter rumours Toronto would trade for him were just that – rumours – but says there is precedent for players leaving MLS squads to play for their hometown teams.

Landon Donovan, an old teammate of De Rosario's, played the 2005 season in Germany's Bundesliga while San Jose held his MLS rights. Donovan only returned to the MLS when he could sign with his hometown L.A. Galaxy.

De Rosario, who lives in Houston in the off-season, has talked before about playing for Toronto but says Houston fans and management don't resent him for it.

"I don't think they take it personally because they know Toronto is my hometown," he said. "All the (San Jose) fans weren't happy (with Donovan) but you have to respect what he did for the club. It was a good opportunity for him to go home and he capitalized on it."

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TFC will do everything they can to get DeRo in the off-season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still, like a lot of other people have already said, i'll believe it when i see it.... been let down way too many times already.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    TFC will do everything they can to get DeRo in the off-season.
    thats not the part that worries me, its the lure of money and more prestigious leagues that worries me.
    Last edited by Kickit09; 08-08-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add me to the "I'll believe it when i see it" group.

International callups is something we knew about for a long time and we're not the only team that suffers.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

thats not the part that worries me, its the lure of money and more prestigious leagues that worries me.
    I don't think DeRo is going to go overseas at 31...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Add me to the "I'll believe it when i see it" group.

International callups is something we knew about for a long time and we're not the only team that suffers.
    Show me a team in the MLS that has to deal with as many callups as TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So nobody else is confused at the fact that Mo tried to sign Nuno Gomes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

according to these articles Houston has DeRo locked up through 2010

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.co...-2922283.shtml

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/234148

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I more than a little disappointed that Mo’s talking about next year already. We need another striker now. This is going to sound a little stupid, but with the economics of the MLS, it almost makes sense to sign someone just for the sake of signing them. The team doesn’t pay the salary; the money doesn’t carry over to next season.

It makes sense for the team to give a project player / a longshot a try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo seems to have a goal to make TFC the first overseas team playing in the English Coca Cola League 1.