Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mo says DP coming for sure next year...

On Extra Time...says 18 man roster is an extreme difficulty to overcome when you have injuries and call ups taking their toll. I agree...I am not sure any other team has as many call ups as we do since not only do we lose 2 Americans on a regular basis, but also 1 Welsh, 1 Jamaican and 2 Canadians.

The fact is that no other team loses as many players as we do. And then when you add the injuries, it leaves the team thin. And yeah...Mo can try to prepare for that...but only to a degree since he has to work within the cap, the roster limits and the international slots.

I have to agree with the man. As the only Canadian team, we are certainly at a disadvantage in that regard. The only part I don't agree is where he says he doesn't believe bringing a DP in the 1st or 2nd year is a good idea. I don't understand that. What exactly would happen if you did? We could certainly use one right now!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason DeVos is better on Extra Time than he is on the CBC coverage...which makes me think that perhaps given time, he really can get better.

Very knowledgeable (obviously) but communicates that knowledge very well.

And the most important part...he insists that if MLS is going to gain credibility, they MUST fall in line with the FIFA calendar. And I must say, I agree. A team like Toronto FC who signs players based on their skill, winds up losing these players to international games because of those very skills, essentially penalizing teams for signing good players.

Also...Mo points out that while Toronto can lose up to 11 players who at any given time have been called up for international duty, teams like DC United lose virtually none. That is insane!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Jason DeVos is better on Extra Time than he is on the CBC coverage...which makes me think that perhaps given time, he really can get better.

Very knowledgeable (obviously) but communicates that knowledge very well.

And the most important part...he insists that if MLS is going to gain credibility, they MUST fall in line with the FIFA calendar. And I must say, I agree. A team like Toronto FC who signs players based on their skill, winds up losing these players to international games because of those very skills, essentially penalizing teams for signing good players.

Also...Mo points out that while Toronto can lose up to 11 players who at any given time have been called up for international duty, teams like DC United lose virtually none. That is insane!
    A couple more years of global warming, then the snow wont fall in toronto anymore and we can switch to a fifa calendar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I wonder what he thought about that manager that tried to bring Nuno Gomes to that second year team....prolly thought it was a kinda bad idea I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do the DP is coming? When? Next year?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad cuz we need a DP striker this year.
    Im not losing faith Mo (although it is your job to have a striker in place right now).
    I wouldnt mind some sort of explanations tho please...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveisonfire View Post
    So I wonder what he thought about that manager that tried to bring Nuno Gomes to that second year team....prolly thought it was a kinda bad idea I guess
    That was 100% rumour.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Im not losing faith Mo (although it is your job to have a striker in place right now).
    My guess is he is just biding his time until the right player comes along for our DP slot.

Mo is probably quite insulated from the rantings you might find here, of people asking for results this season.

I still trust in him, but I hope his longer term building plan works out. I'm actually glad we haven't blindly thrown money at a sub-par DP yet.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW!! A Toronto team that claims something is going to happen next year, who would have thought... *As I roll my eyes at this tripe*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like we will start hearing more and more stories from Mo now like this basically to start damage control for not getting any deals done. Start the back peddleing.

OK AUGUST 08,08 so in the spring when we have done nothing again we can look back to this exact day and say "He was quoted as getting a DP" then for us to be told "Well its not as easy as you think.

And as for losing upto 11 players, and say DC losing none, wouldnt that all berelative to where you decide you can get your players to sign from? Any say hmmm Canadians on DC? Are they predominantly from one part of the world? whatever Mo.

I should make a banner that says What's Plan "A", Mo?
    Last edited by MFG1; 08-08-2008 at 05:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    And the most important part...he insists that if MLS is going to gain credibility, they MUST fall in line with the FIFA calendar. And I must say, I agree.
    In an ideal world yes, but it's just too cold to play here in the winter. Why don't other people see that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOOOOOL I'm pretty sure he said we would have a DP by July 2008 last year! He should shut his mouth before saying stupid shit again.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its going to be DeRo, I'd put money on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    That was 100% rumour.

- Scott
    http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsSoccer/home
    Last edited by Daveisonfire; 08-08-2008 at 07:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    In an ideal world yes, but it's just too cold to play here in the winter. Why don't other people see that?
    We could still us a spring-fall schedule but observe fifa dates, like Russia and Brazil.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait a second Mo.

International callups are a problem for us, because our Canadians are always going to get called, especially for games in this hemisphere. This was known day one.

Given that, maybe it should be a factor in personnel acquisition, ie don't do ALL of the following:

- trade for Marshall
    - sign Velez
    - draft James
    - spend a year getting Guevara, who's been pretty clear that his first duty is to Honduras
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP is such a hard spot to fill. It is a lot of wealth (wealth being more than just money) tied up in one player. And just convincing someone to come is hard enough. So you had better be sure you want the guy so that you can pull out all the stops to get him (and that includes long term deals).

We need a solution soon, at least enough improvement to make us competitive again. I don't think that needs to be a DP, but it needs to be a signing of some significance.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP is coming year after BMO Field expends,to make sure they sell those extra 5000-10000 tickets TFC will sign a DP.It's not about playoffs it's about how to make more money,and why spend extra millions of $$$$ when you have full house already(see M.Leafs).
    And I agree with Mo on MLS and FIFA dates.So let's say we sign a DP now and than what ?He will get call to represent his country in WCQ and we will see fu*k all from him this year and probably next too,since WCQ goes until Nov.2009.

No DP until spring 2010,new expended BMO and MLS will stop for WC2010,make sense to sign DP and get maximum for $$$$.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adampz View Post
    A couple more years of global warming, then the snow wont fall in toronto anymore and we can switch to a fifa calendar
    he means when fifa schedules qualifying and international friendly's then MLS should not have games going on. He dosen't mean switching the season from September to June

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MFG1 View Post
    And as for losing upto 11 players, and say DC losing none, wouldnt that all berelative to where you decide you can get your players to sign from? Any say hmmm Canadians on DC? Are they predominantly from one part of the world?
    No, it would be relative to the skill level of the domestic players on our team. the only other MNT players we have are Guevara and Robinson, who play for teams in two very different parts of the world.

Most of our call-ups are Canadians or Americans - as far as that goes, we are required to have a certain number of Canadians, and the MLS draft is 95% American players.

Our call-ups are a result of MLS' system, not anything Mo has done.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I'm not convinced that we need a DP striker. I just think that we need a reliable striker. My fear is that Mo isn't covering enough territory or simply working hard enough to sign us one. He put too much time and effort into trying to sign Hucks and Dickov, and now it seems that he's got no contingency plan.

If you look as far back as training camp what strikers did Mo have at camp: Gall, Ronnie Gaspar, Tony Vairelles, Jamie Watson and Leonardo Polo. Other than Polo possibly, none of these players would be any improvement on what we currently have on the roster.

Mo has made some good deals this season and has netted the club 3 first round draft picks and a ton of allocation money. Why not use one of those draft picks and some of that allocation money to pry away a proven striker from another team? I understand that quality strikers in this league are few and far in between, but why not dangle that carrot and see what happens.

Furthermore, all this roster shuffling he has made gave us the impression that he has making some room to do something big and so far we've seen nothing. It does look like he has this team's future on a solid path (3 1st rounders, Ibbe), but if that has been his plan all along (to build for the future), I think he should come out any say it. The fans will appreciate that instead of constantly giving us blueballs with suggestions of DPs or imminent signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the ice caps melting, wouldn't that mean more snow in cold places? I dunno, I was always a pretty big scientific dumbass.

Anyways, DP TODAY!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schellas Hyndman didn’t mince words on Thursday when he strolled over to the press tent.

“We have to find a striker,” the FC Dallas coach told Goal.com. “We need to find a striker. We’ve identified a short list and there are three people on it.”
    They have the same problem. At least they have some prospects (good ones? Who knows?).

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=810430
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the callup question is a clear advantage to American teams obviously.
    The American national team can only take a certain # of Americans. The American player pool is much deeper than the Canadian one. Thus no American MLS team is ever going to lose many players to callups. Since most of the teams don't rely as heavily on internationals thanks to the cheap and decent American players, they don't have to worry about as many callups.

TFC can't rely on cheap and decent Canadians, because there aren't as many out there. So they turn to good internationals who can be gained at a reasonable price -- well many of those players are the leaders of their individual countries. I don't believe you can find someone of Guevara's talent for the relatively cheap price he's being paid.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    With the ice caps melting, wouldn't that mean more snow in cold places? I dunno, I was always a pretty big scientific dumbass.

Anyways, DP TODAY!

According to the movie "The Day after Tomorrow" it would mean an Ice Age!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huginho View Post
    he means when fifa schedules qualifying and international friendly's then MLS should not have games going on. He dosen't mean switching the season from September to June
    LMAO!

I was wondering why people were talking about the cold!

I was like "what does the cold have to do with it?"

Now I understand the confusion...hilarious. People really think the "FIFA Calendar" means the European season schedule?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    TFC can't rely on cheap and decent Canadians, because there aren't as many out there. So they turn to good internationals who can be gained at a reasonable price -- well many of those players are the leaders of their individual countries. I don't believe you can find someone of Guevara's talent for the relatively cheap price he's being paid.
    This is so very very true. I think people are missing this point and it's very important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following the FIFA calendar means the league takes a break when there are international games.......not playing throughout the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    Following the FIFA calendar means the league takes a break when there are international games.......not playing throughout the winter.
    If I'm not mistaken, the current season would only have been interrupted once thus far for approximately one week. Hardly anything for the MLS to worry about. Furthermore, these FIFA international interruptions would benefit teams. Players who are suffering from nagging injuries would have a full week or so to recover properly. With an 18-man roster teams can use time to recover. It would also provide teams time to refine tactics and so forth. In some cases teams might find it advantageous to schedule Int'l friendlies during this time in stead of working them into an already hectic schedule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kingpin View Post
    WOW!! A Toronto team that claims something is going to happen next year, who would have thought... *As I roll my eyes at this tripe*
    just what i was thinking - more Kool-Aid served up fresh.