Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spicer and Prince !!! TFC steals a road win with two late goals - that hasn’t happened in years !!

Honestly - when was the last time they won a road game by coming back late from down a goal and turn it into a win ? I honestly can’t remember it’s been so long…..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a win!!!! This never happens for TFC.

Fully credit to the team and Herdman. Never stopped working and it paid off in the best way. Absolutely buzzing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, I just love watching this team more than I've loved watching a Toronto team in almost a decade. Love it! Even if we lost I'd have said the same

I don't think that was just a character thing, though we've shown that throughout this season, that was a quality performance. We're a work in progress, missing two of our top three players, in a league where nobody wins away and I thought we were the better team and well worth a win. We showed class, not just grit.

Also, that was Fedes best performance in a TFC shirt. For me, he was man of the match even when we were a goal down, never mind creating the two goals after. That was a power house performance. I think every shot we took was either by him, or where he was the key player in the move. He terrorized them.

I still think we're a quality 9 away from being a really good team and would have been comfortable in a win with one today, but hey, can't argue with Princes goal scoring. He can keep shutting me up by putting the ball in the net, no doubt.

Also, Spicer continues to really impress me. He's the opposite of what you expect for someone with his experience level. He's not trying to be spectacular, instead he knows how to be direct and decisive. There's no wasted movement, everything he does is something driving to either a shot or a decisive ball and he's constantly popping up in the right place at the right time getting dangerous chances. He has football IQ beyond his age. I really like him.
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 04-27-2024 at 08:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely scene with the team hug at the end. Its been so long to see ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bernardeschi just took that half over.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What amazes me is that we haven’t crossed a ball in 4 years…. Franklin isn’t getting enough credit. He is delivering some good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Spicer and Prince !!! TFC steals a road win with two late goals - that hasn’t happened in years !!

Honestly - when was the last time they won a road game by coming back late from down a goal and turn it into a win ? I honestly can’t remember it’s been so long…..
    Spicer's looking like our best draft pick in ages. Really has a nose for goal, and that header was immense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    One change I'd make somewhat soon, Spicer on for Petretta. Need some pace down the wing. The left side with Oso and Petretta is painfully slow and I think Thorkelsson is a weak link on that Orlando backline.
    You called it. Game changed when Spicer came on and generated problems for their back end. Why he doesn't start each and every game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went down a quick rabbit-hole - the last game where we went from losing late in the game (last 15 minutes), to then winning on the road was in May 2017 where we scored two late to beat Columbus 2-1. Other than that I haven’t seen a road win recently where we came back late and turned a loss into a win.
    Last edited by tfcfans; 04-27-2024 at 08:52 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing somebody pointed out a few games ago - our team is more fit then others. I don't think we've been able to say that ever.

Might be another reason why the later game goals are happening.

Might be a problem later on in the season but Herdman keeps talking about watching people's minutes so maybe not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And then I saw her face
    Now I'm a believer!!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and how many times have we had weird 1-0 leads turn into 2-1 losses?!?

We didn't just win that game - we DESERVED to win that game. Even xG says 1.3 to 1.1, better possession, more quality shots on net, better Italians...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    One thing somebody pointed out a few games ago - our team is more fit then others. I don't think we've been able to say that ever.

Might be another reason why the later game goals are happening.

Might be a problem later on in the season but Herdman keeps talking about watching people's minutes so maybe not.
    Very good point. Herdman is making some shrewd substitutions as well though. It would have been easy to include Spicer as a starter but he gambled on Petretta to hold it down just long enough so Spicer could play against tired defenders.

Pareja was a step slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Very good point. Herdman is making some shrewd substitutions as well though. It would have been easy to include Spicer as a starter but he gambled on Petretta to hold it down just long enough so Spicer could play against tired defenders.

Pareja was a step slow.
    Same with bringing in Thompson to get more direct forward movement. He managed that really well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, whether it is Spicer, JMR or Kobe, the wingback position has been played so well by 3 very young players. Unless they plan on selling JMR (who has improved so much) for a big fee, I gotta question signing Richie as a DP when that spot could of been used on a CM or a 10 in the Ryan Gauld mold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

orlando is stagnating with pareja...same story over and over...they badly need a coaching change

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    orlando is stagnating with pareja...same story over and over...they badly need a coaching change
    He did the same thing in Dallas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, whether it is Spicer, JMR or Kobe, the wingback position has been played so well by 3 very young players. Unless they plan on selling JMR (who has improved so much) for a big fee, I gotta question signing Richie as a DP when that spot could of been used on a CM or a 10 in the Ryan Gauld mold.
    Only a DP in 2024 and there will be new salary structures in 2025.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow I didn't expect that, amazing!

One thing that really annoys me about the Bradley fiasco last year is that they somehow created the impression that Bernardeschi is a slacker who never works hard. I know that there were a variety of problems with attitude and motivation last year, for a couple of different reasons. But this year we find out that Bernardeschi is actually a fitness freak. How many DPs will go end-to-end for 90 minutes like that? Also, twice in recent games I saw the stats that Bernardeschi had one of the highest sprint speeds clocked on the field partway through the game. He's not perfect, he wasn't the best choice for a DP, and his scoring drought is concerning. But his effort and stamina are incredible. Running down that ball, shaking off a couple of defenders and putting in a great cross in the 89th minute is what won us the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im glad i watched this and not the maple laffs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just speedwatched. Wow.

Our first goal was one of our 10 best ever.

The winner, that was nice work from Fede, and Prince got it on net … but that was a howler- what the hell was El Pulpo doing? That makes me feel better about the Canada-Peru game in Copa.

Really disliked our goal allowed, looked like everyone was jogging not defending, very TFC 2023. But it sounds like that was a momentary thing.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree we're well set in that spot for future.

although i like the planning, re: getting laryea on long term contract.

will have a higher salary this season + most of his transfer fee added cap hit this season when we are a work in progress.

then next year when we are looking to contend, his cap hit will be far lower allowing for another DP.

can't help but think this intelligent use of cap space over multiple years is the work of sean rubio.

we've done the opposite of this sort of thing in last few yers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was IMO the performance of the season.

still missing insigne, laryea and o'neill (3 starters, 2 of top 3 players), we outplayed them mostly from start to finish.

had more chances, played the better football. unfortunate to be behind to one of their very few chances.

the players are looking way more comfortable in this formation. the spacing in possession was excellent today, and we played through them from back to front multiple times today.

got to say, bravo mr herdman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kobe Franklin puts in some quality crosses. He keeps it simple and it works.

Berna also with a beast mode match. He must have some of the best fitness in the league.

He may not be scoring (almost did) but if he can get 1-2 assists in that's just as good.

Anyway that's a huge win for a teams confidence levels.

We officially have more wins then all last season and only one team in the league has more then 5 wins (Miami).

Impressed that we are doing this without 2 of the best players on the team in.

For the bad:
    Kevin long totally at fault for the goal against.
    Gomis could have possibly saw red.
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 04-28-2024 at 06:13 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    For the bad:
    Kevin long totally at fault for the goal against.
    Gomis could have possibly saw red.
    Partially agree on Long, rewatch the play Coello stops tracking back with pace and Long hesitates between the two Orlando players.

Clearly could have done better but if Coello is covering the near player Long can focus on the goal scorer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Partially agree on Long, rewatch the play Coello stops tracking back with pace and Long hesitates between the two Orlando players.

Clearly could have done better but if Coello is covering the near player Long can focus on the goal scorer.
    If Rosted had the confidence to get a bit tighter on the defender too… might have cut down the angle of the cross. Appreciate he was in an odd spot and could have easily got beaten for pace but it felt like we could have closed down a little better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was a very good game and the show of grit and determination to come back and win the match. Football is a game of errors where they can be won and lost. We are a work in progress and as the English announcer said in a very eloquent way, that basically the previous management team effed up the team. And also said on various occasions that this is a very good Toronto team. Great game and am enjoying the success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for Berna not scoring, not bothered too much because as we all know you have to have a player create chances and assist on goals, if not you are f$&’@ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post

Don't disagree maybe why Long was frustrated.
    I like Coello but I will be honest in that I prefer Longstaff. I find him just much tidier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team definitely has the fight in them. Credit to Herdman for instilling belief.

Spicer is looking like the real deal. Could be our best draft pick ever?