Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What an enjoyable game to watch. Right from the start, they were ready to go and started creating chances.

Orlando had their moments too but TFC held up very well defensively and the work ethic from start to finish was there. This is an incredibly important win for a growing team and it was great to see continued good performances by so many of the young guys.

10 games in and we’re sitting 4th in the east. Great job by all all involved. Let’s keep it rolling at home now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Honestly, whether it is Spicer, JMR or Kobe, the wingback position has been played so well by 3 very young players. Unless they plan on selling JMR (who has improved so much) for a big fee, I gotta question signing Richie as a DP when that spot could of been used on a CM or a 10 in the Ryan Gauld mold.
    Franklin did well for his 15 minutes against tired legs and a team conceding space on the wings, but I don't believe he has the qualities to be a long-term option at wingback. Laryea is many times the player in that role and well worth the (cleverly executed) investment IMO.

Wingbacks are so, so important to modern five-/three-back setups.
    Last edited by Bobo; 04-28-2024 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Wow I didn't expect that, amazing!

One thing that really annoys me about the Bradley fiasco last year is that they somehow created the impression that Bernardeschi is a slacker who never works hard. I know that there were a variety of problems with attitude and motivation last year, for a couple of different reasons. But this year we find out that Bernardeschi is actually a fitness freak. How many DPs will go end-to-end for 90 minutes like that? Also, twice in recent games I saw the stats that Bernardeschi had one of the highest sprint speeds clocked on the field partway through the game. He's not perfect, he wasn't the best choice for a DP, and his scoring drought is concerning. But his effort and stamina are incredible. Running down that ball, shaking off a couple of defenders and putting in a great cross in the 89th minute is what won us the game.
    The Apple TV color commentator wouldn't shut up about Bernardeschi's lack of work ethic and being not willing to trach back.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

Spicer is looking like the real deal. Could be our best draft pick ever?
    I'd say he's one of the best, probably #2. Over the years there have been a few good ones. Maurice Edu was an early good pick, who was later sold to Rangers, playing 4 seasons for them. I'd say he was our best pick ever. Some others were decent when they played here, but hit their best levels playing for other teams. Stefan Frei and Joao Plata would be examples of that.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'd say he's one of the best, probably #2. Over the years there have been a few good ones. Maurice Edu was an early good pick, who was later sold to Rangers, playing 4 seasons for them. I'd say he was our best pick ever. Some others were decent when they played here, but hit their best levels playing for other teams. Stefan Frei and Joao Plata would be examples of that.
    Yep, we famously traded him for the grass at BMO lol.

Also, – who was it that seemed to collapse at the end of the Orlando match? You could see them lying on the ground after the final whistle. Was it Berna?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    The Apple TV color commentator wouldn't shut up about Bernardeschi's lack of work ethic and being not willing to trach back.
    He showed his lack of knowledge when he spoke at length about how great of a club TFC is and how it's used to winning.

In all seriousness, I think he's one of those cases where the accent hides just how bad of an announcer he is. Cliche after cliche, nothing that means anything.
    Last edited by Bobo; 04-29-2024 at 08:37 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    He showed his lack of knowledge when he spoke at length about how great of a club TFC is and how it's used to winning.
    Doesn't 3 years out of 17 make a great winning club?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    …Also, – who was it that seemed to collapse at the end of the Orlando match? You could see them lying on the ground after the final whistle. Was it Berna?
    Yes, believe it was Bernardeschi with Franklin on top of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Doesn't 3 years out of 17 make a great winning club?
    To be clear, your baseline is not just making MLS Playoffs, it is advancing beyond the first round.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Luckily I could barely understand them. They were prattling on non-stop, never taking a break. I turned the sound very low and ignored them.

I'm wondering if you can find advanced stats on MLS games somewhere, incl. how far players are running etc? Some of these things are shown briefly during the game so they're obviously being collected, I just don't know if they're available to the public.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Luckily I could barely understand them. They were prattling on non-stop, never taking a break. I turned the sound very low and ignored them.

I'm wondering if you can find advanced stats on MLS games somewhere, incl. how far players are running etc? Some of these things are shown briefly during the game so they're obviously being collected, I just don't know if they're available to the public.
    They showed the distance travelled during the game. Four of the first five were Orlando players, but Oso was second most at 10.4 Km when they showed the graphic, as I recall. (Might've been in miles, can't remember).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well my comments about the announcers got bashed by most of you guys. Sheesh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Well my comments about the announcers got bashed by most of you guys. Sheesh.
    I thought they were a bit lazy in their approach. Talking about Berna not tracking back and the sort. Dude has tracked back like a man possessed all year.

If MLS is ever going to catch on from a viewing perspective they are going to need commentators who put more effort into their work than what we saw on the weekend.

That said, I did appreciate they seemed to balance their talking points for both teams. Sometimes, with others we’ve had, Iit feels like the entire focus is on what the other team does and we’re an afterthought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was talking about him not tracking back in the moment. He had two forays forward right before that where he was frustrated and didn't track back quickly. Being ex premier league, Barton thought it was an exploitable tendency is all. But he got stuck right back in and it became moot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoyed the commentary until just after the half when they'd run out of new talking points but couldn't discuss what was changing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I enjoyed the commentary until just after the half when they'd run out of new talking points but couldn't discuss what was changing.
    Barton, at least, noted Fede dropping back to cover wide for a while. The play-by-play guy was absolutely clueless. No idea what he was watching.

But generally too many platitudes both ways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Barton, at least, noted Fede dropping back to cover wide for a while. The play-by-play guy was absolutely clueless. No idea what he was watching.

But generally too many platitudes both ways.
    Barton was better, how many really great commentators are there? Gormless Caldwell? Luke Wileman, Golly Geez Gareth Wheeler?
    Nigel Reed I think was my favourite, full of cliches and all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Barton was better, how many really great commentators are there? Gormless Caldwell? Luke Wileman, Golly Geez Gareth Wheeler?
    Nigel Reed I think was my favourite, full of cliches and all.
    Yeah, I agree - when it comes to Canadian play by play guys, Nigel Reed is the only one I can stomach. Though it is difficult to believe the country had been so lacking in talent.

edit: As a kid, I always liked listening to Graham Leggat on Soccer Saturday but on football broadcasts he played the analyst role rather than play by play, later on at least.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 05-02-2024 at 03:01 PM.