Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post

Cash, if he was adequate in the league, I don’t think we would need Etienne.
    A judgement call, not anything that can be claimed as fact, as he never gets a chance in the league.

He was good last night. His lack of pace was evident on the breakaway, but his passing was good all night and excellent a few times, he got into dangerous spots around the box.

He has clear issues based on his size and strength, but he also is clearly well trained and was dangerous consistently. He tucked the goal away nicely to the short side on a moving keeper, he set up the Osorio goal, because Owusu really should've just nodded it in instead of cutting its back for a more challenging finish by Osorio, and his shooting inside the box led to the second half goal.

So... I don't know. Clearly Herdman doesn't rate him but I look at what Ayo or Peruzza have done -- nothing -- and that both have received many more chances than this guy, and that doesn't really sit right either. He may not, at 23, be ready for prime time, but he should at least get some backup time to prove himself, because practise doesn't mean shit compared to game time. There are plenty of guys in football history who haven't looked particularly good in practise but are excellent under pressure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People whining about the 7-0 comment aren't thinking like managers; he has a tough game on the road against Orlando this weekend. Every league game is a new fight, a new reason to find motivating factors to raise the team up. By selling them that he's mildly disappointed with that performance (which he should be, it should've been 10-0 easily) he tells the team he expects better on Saturday.

By doing it publicly when asked in the presser, he prevents it being "leaked" as something it's not. Present one face to the world and you prevent the world from reinterpreting who you are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Herdman's comments on Mailula were quite positive.

"Every week he keeps his head down, he works hard, he’s always got a positive outlook. Players like that, they build a resilience through MLS. This season might not be his season. It might be. But if he keeps doing what he’s doing, which is stay focused, he’s got a chance.”"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

"Every week he keeps his head down, he works hard, he’s always got a positive outlook. Players like that, they build a resilience through MLS. This season might not be his season. It might be. But if he keeps doing what he’s doing, which is stay focused, he’s got a chance.”"
    Herdman’s pressers are such a breath of fresh air

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A judgement call, not anything that can be claimed as fact, as he never gets a chance in the league.

He was good last night. His lack of pace was evident on the breakaway, but his passing was good all night and excellent a few times, he got into dangerous spots around the box.

He has clear issues based on his size and strength, but he also is clearly well trained and was dangerous consistently. He tucked the goal away nicely to the short side on a moving keeper, he set up the Osorio goal, because Owusu really should've just nodded it in instead of cutting its back for a more challenging finish by Osorio, and his shooting inside the box led to the second half goal.

So... I don't know. Clearly Herdman doesn't rate him but I look at what Ayo or Peruzza have done -- nothing -- and that both have received many more chances than this guy, and that doesn't really sit right either. He may not, at 23, be ready for prime time, but he should at least get some backup time to prove himself, because practise doesn't mean shit compared to game time. There are plenty of guys in football history who haven't looked particularly good in practise but are excellent under pressure.
    Sure, man, but everything that happens in a football team involves judgement… it might be said that making innumerable judgement calls is the reason people are hired to run the clubs. Doesn’t mean we have to agree, of course. But after being at the stadium (closer to seeing the whole match than a TV screen, but very far from the daily grind of practise, etc), I think Herdman is not wrong on this one. Cash had some good moments, good responses to certain situations but his speed and size/strength did not look up to MLS in general.

Everyone’s level was lifted playing against Simcoe, and actually that was part of the pleasure in watching… our roster became packed with players showing their ideal capabilities (except in the 2nd half, hah… we lost Oso, and we also, via the subs, lost our capacity to penetrate on the wings).

In his press conference (with Osorio) after the match he was asked how he thought Cash did and he said ‘Cash is not playing because he has Insigne, Osorio and Bernie in front of him but he’s a hard worker and he has a chance’. Not exactly a ringing endorsement especially after they’re rushing in Etienne to cover for Insigne and Oso. I do think he’ll be given a chance, at least off the bench but watching him against Simcoe, that he hasn’t had a chance yet didn’t surprise me. He looks good in the highlights, and sure, in time, give him some minutes but I’m not sure that his pluses outweigh this minuses in this league.

Of course, Herdman might be wrong. I watched live or on TV most of the Nats men’s matches he coached and often didn’t agree with his take on players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People whining about the 7-0 comment aren't thinking like managers; he has a tough game on the road against Orlando this weekend. Every league game is a new fight, a new reason to find motivating factors to raise the team up. By selling them that he's mildly disappointed with that performance (which he should be, it should've been 10-0 easily) he tells the team he expects better on Saturday.

By doing it publicly when asked in the presser, he prevents it being "leaked" as something it's not. Present one face to the world and you prevent the world from reinterpreting who you are.
    I agree with this. Herdman has been quite open all along so far, more than most. He lets us in on his thinking though not at the expense of firstly motivating his players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds better than my condensed, half quote above of (almost) the same moment… but what does it mean? He’s okay to have around but at least one more season away from playing in the league and even so, with another season of training under his belt, he has only a chance. Herdman also mentioned that because he’s done well in SA doesn’t mean he should playing here.

Not really the sort of under 22 players the clubs are bringing in from abroad… and with good reason. I think he’s a bit too much, experience wise, to play with tfc 2 but not enough in general to play much in the first team. Maybe in time but I’m not expecting it.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 04-25-2024 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post

Not really the sort of under 22 players the clubs are bringing in from abroad… and with good reason. I think he’s a bit too much, experience wise, to play with tfc 2 but not enough in general to play much in the first team. Maybe in time but I’m not expecting it.
    That's fair. He's a u22 initiative but he's on a relatively low wage. I think he was worth a flyer based on his producitivy there, but the level he's at physically at 22 he faces some of the same challenges Coello does in being smart/consistent enough to be worth using despite the physical lack of presence.

His technique was really good, on the half-volley, on his long passing. The speed didn't seem up to being a winger. If we're playing a team bunkered in he'll probably look really good. If he has to play two ways a lot, he probably becomes a big liability, as he's small enough to get around easily but not quick enough to make up for it.

But that was also a knock on Oso, that he wasn't quick or strong enough, and he really improved his pace from his first few years to when he was starting regularly in 2017/2018.

I think he has something offensively. It's hard to explain intangibles sometimes but his lateral movement into the box, the way he was looking for space, the way he was quickly writing off the bad first option and moving the ball to someone dangerously... I just see something, I guess. Whether it's enough to make up for the physical shortcomings is the question.

But that's also going to be on how we use him. If we expect a two-way player, we'll be disappointed. I don't think he's a winger. I think he's a poacher/second striker who needs to operate near the box.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... Jermaine Defoe without the technique or the Mom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's fair. He's a u22 initiative but he's on a relatively low wage. I think he was worth a flyer based on his producitivy there, but the level he's at physically at 22 he faces some of the same challenges Coello does in being smart/consistent enough to be worth using despite the physical lack of presence.

His technique was really good, on the half-volley, on his long passing. The speed didn't seem up to being a winger. If we're playing a team bunkered in he'll probably look really good. If he has to play two ways a lot, he probably becomes a big liability, as he's small enough to get around easily but not quick enough to make up for it.

But that was also a knock on Oso, that he wasn't quick or strong enough, and he really improved his pace from his first few years to when he was starting regularly in 2017/2018.

I think he has something offensively. It's hard to explain intangibles sometimes but his lateral movement into the box, the way he was looking for space, the way he was quickly writing off the bad first option and moving the ball to someone dangerously... I just see something, I guess. Whether it's enough to make up for the physical shortcomings is the question.

But that's also going to be on how we use him. If we expect a two-way player, we'll be disappointed. I don't think he's a winger. I think he's a poacher/second striker who needs to operate near the box.
    That’s fair. The U-22 initiative, because it’s so restrictive and is set within a web of restrictions, encourages higher wage, higher ceiling/sales players. I’m not sure we should he taking a flyer on someone inexpensive and fundamentally iffy for those spots… inexpensive though, seems our current reality. The league is getting closer to the large majority of the starting spots being high paying positions. And the level of the guys off the bench is rising as well.

I think my sense of Mailula at the stadium also involved intangibles despite my charges of lack of size and speed (two things that can be measured, but shouldn’t only be measured on a scale, etc). Oso early on is a good comparison. I wasn’t bothered by his lack of size or speed because he moved very well within himself, he seemed like he could pretty much do as he pleased and there was something promising about that. Now, his talent was as a ten, which he wasn’t often allowed to play but his mobility was balanced and adequate and clearly allowed him to adapt and do well in other roles. He still is in that position - he’s good enough to do other things and so he’s asked to do them but he’s still best as a ten (in its variations).

Mailua seems as though he is not going to be very adaptable. He’s got a good offensive sense at times and good technique but in between the moments when these come together he doesn’t look this level and that’s worrying. I don’t remember Oso looking as if he shouldn’t be on the pitch. Coello is a bit of the same phenomenon as Cash but as you say he has managed to be consistent and his mind and technique often bail out his lumbering slowness. So he kind of gets by and when he has a little time on the ball he’s a joy to watch. All the same he often seems to playing at the wrong position (however I can’t think of another position that he would certainly excel in), or be playing in the wrong league (not sure though, in the higher leagues, where he should be playing).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Result and details of the Sun Apr 28/24 League1 Ontario Men's Premier Divisison game between Vaughan Azzurri and Simcoe County Rovers

played at NMRP. Includes post game interview with SCR head coach Zico Mehredy. Yes I ask him about the TFC game. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoront...4/24l1o018.htm

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CS LAURENT beats Halifax —- TFC playing another minnow in the QF !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    An it is two legs also, TFC now has 8 games in the month of May beginning this Saturday, playing every Saturday and Wednesday, a crazy stretch.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boo. US Open treatment for the Canadian Championship now. I was excited to see TFC in Halifax.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Boo. US Open treatment for the Canadian Championship now. I was excited to see TFC in Halifax.
    9 games from May 4 to June 1st, playing every Saturday and Wednesday, crazy They are home for the next four Saturdays with road games in Nashville, DC, Philly and Montreal.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That fixture in Montreal could be a real issue for "where" and if the Montreal Ultras decide to make an appearance ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That fixture in Montreal could be a real issue for "where" and if the Montreal Ultras decide to make an appearance ....
    Be aware. Be cautious. Be smart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Mailula time baby!