Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The social media hot take will be that was bad and the team hasn't changed and without Insigne we are like last year.

&

The Oso goal wouldn't have happened last year (4 guys crashing the box in the last minute).

Yes..we have roster issues - anybody following this team closely knows this. And its not just with our #9 - our depth can't play against certain tactics.

But I'd rather this team where it is now then that team a year ago.

Oh for sure. I think we got it tactically wrong, and we didn't adjust to them pressing in the second half at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Oh for sure. I think we got it tactically wrong, and we didn't adjust to them pressing in the second half at all.
    Will be interesting to see if Herdman puts his hand up on that one. We are SOOO much better with Floris & Oso as the two mids - I'm not sure why Herdman seems to want to avoid that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Will be interesting to see if Herdman puts his hand up on that one. We are SOOO much better with Floris & Oso as the two mids - I'm not sure why Herdman seems to want to avoid that.
    He probably wants to establish as much confidence in his depth early in the season as possible, try to get them to the place where they don't feel starters are locked in and everyone's competing for a role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's also always stuff with fitness, balancing load etc we aren't always privvy too.

To me that kind of result was coming, we've rode our luck at times this season and the reality is we've not got a great starting xi and a really weak bench, carrying injuries that's liable to happen. To me that's not important, what's important is the response. We've a stretch without Insigne who has carried us this season, we may have some nights like this, it's imperative Herdman keeps them bought in. The late goal honestly felt really good in that respect, we didn't drop out heads. If Herdman keeps them bought in that's all I want to see, I know we'll lose games.

My one and only criticism continues to be Bill Manning. To look at that squad and spend all your money on anything other than a number nine is absolutely criminal. It's the kind of decision that has typified his awful, awful, awful reign and he has, once again, utterly hamstrung us. He better have an ace in the hole there soon as we are absolutely crying out for something up front, badly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree we were due a for dud of a game. We haven't had one yet at all this season.

I also think tactically it was wrong. Berna should have been a wingback and Flores for sure should have started.

Thr next two games will be telling. Both tough away matches on turf.

And we seriously need a competent #9. It's such an urgent need on this squad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having just speed watched the game…

How many times did we get exposed on the counter? 10? Our mids (Coello, Longstaff) really did not have a good day…

O'Neill may be a warrior and all that, but his lack of pace was obvious several times, and led directly to the third goal. Not sure you can have both him and Long out there at the same time.

JMR had several good sequences, and a really nice assist - but really had to get that shot off on the rush in the box in the second half

I cannot recall a GK having as outstanding a first half, and as poor a second half, ever. Who was he barking at after the first goal allowed, btw? I don’t like to see the fully formed Oliver Kahn act in reserve 23 year olds…
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two cents after last night: Berna should play wingback if Insigne doesn’t play. Without Insigne, Berna tries to do too much by himself. Not sure who plays up top though, definitely the biggest need right now is a real #9.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Having just speed watched the game…

How many times did we get exposed on the counter? 10? Our mids (Coello, Longstaff) really did not have a good day…

O'Neill may be a warrior and all that, but his lack of pace was obvious several times, and led directly to the third goal. Not sure you can have both him and Long out there at the same time.

JMR had several good sequences, and a really nice assist - but really had to get that shot off on the rush in the box in the second half

I cannot recall a GK having as outstanding a first half, and as poor a second half, ever. Who was he barking at after the first goal allowed, btw? I don’t like to see the fully formed Oliver Kahn act in reserve 23 year olds…
    I dunno man, I think he had cause on that one. The guy shot from 35 yards, sure, but no one even got close to him, even put him off. Given a good pro that kind of open look and a keeper is doomed. Someone had to step up and challenge the shooter.

It was the same in the second half. Willie Agada had the ball in our box and Longstaff backed off him to try instead to cut down the angle, but that just gave him a free look, and only the crossbar saved us.

His only real mistake to me was that he tried the same volley parry on the Davis goal that he tried against the point blank header earlier, and that's not a strong enough parry. He should've been coming across the body with his left hand and punching that.

But he had to make a mistake eventually.

JMR committed the 'take another touch' cardinal sin. Get control, shoot, period. First time it if possible. If there's one consistent issue we've had in the box with this crew over the last three seasons it's that everyone thinks they have more time than they do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    My two cents after last night: Berna should play wingback if Insigne doesn’t play. Without Insigne, Berna tries to do too much by himself. Not sure who plays up top though, definitely the biggest need right now is a real #9.
    I think we should either use him as you say, or as a central striker. He's useless at Right Wing. He's just too big/not nimble enough to beat more than the first defender, and they know it's coming.

He'll just get more and more frustrated out there until he loses his confidence again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely agree. I'd keep him at wingback until Richie is back probably. He has the stamina to get forward to as we know and will probably have more room with some more ppl in front.

Then I'd move him to a #9 with Insigne and Osorio behind him probably. Spicer and Richie as wingbacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he can work at right wing, but only if he has a great striker to play with and ideally also Inisngne there. He has great interplay moments when the right ingredients are there. With no movement in front of him at all, he just reverts to the same desperate moves. So in absence of that striker, I agree, either put him up top or at wing back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I’ve not been much of an O’Neil fan but in the matches I’ve seen this season he hasn’t been a problem. He’s even been able to get forward quite often. But with Petretta and Gomis out we lose quite a bit of potential mobility at the back and Coello is certainly not fleet of foot. For that matter, Bernie at right wingback pushes things forward with a fair amount of force.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-31-2024 at 02:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I think he can work at right wing, but only if he has a great striker to play with and ideally also Inisngne there. He has great interplay moments when the right ingredients are there. With no movement in front of him at all, he just reverts to the same desperate moves. So in absence of that striker, I agree, either put him up top or at wing back.
    Have we seen Bernie up top with us at all? I feel like it’s been only an unsuccessful half, at most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I’ve not been much of an O’Neil fan but in the matches I’ve seen this season he hasn’t been a problem. He’s even been able to get forward quite often. But with Petretta and Gomis out we lose quite a bit of potential mobility at the back and Coello is certainly not fleet of foot. For that matter, Bernie at right wingback pushes things forward with a fair amount of force.
    He’s a stand-in until we get someone better. That spot needs to be upgraded, for sure. But for now he’s a capable backup.

We miss Gomis at the moment. His ability to step into midfield is sorely needed.