Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Spicer looks simply fantastic out there, you would think he's a seasoned veteran.

Overall really impressed with how they played on Saturday.

If we play like that each time, we'll always have a chance to win.
    I agree with the sentiment. It’s worth watching this team even if it’s a work in progress. More than I thought we’d get out of TFC this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I agree with the sentiment. It’s worth watching this team even if it’s a work in progress. More than I thought we’d get out of TFC this year.
    I don't think we should understate how shit Atlanta was, though. We weren't great, we were competent. They were awful.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I don't think we should understate how shit Atlanta was, though. We weren't great, we were competent. They were awful.
    I was talking about this with my pal, Atlanta looked horrible. I don't know what happened with them but holy crap, they have no offensive firepower without certain players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true, but we've played quite a few teams like that over last few years and still managed to not win or lose.

also can't remember us creating that many chances in one game in years (one half really, the 2nd half).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is true, they were missing alot of players - absolutely vital players, at that. All things considered we are almost certainly quite alot worse than our record shows

But I don't care, it's still true this team is so much more fun to watch than we have been in years. We could lose the next ten and I'd still have more fun watching it than any team since 2019, really. I just want a team that is playing together, playing for the team and a manager who can rally everyone behind a gameplan. I feel like for far two long TFC was about the egos of a small group of people, and everything else was secondary, and frankly it made me borderline want to see them fail by the mid point of last year just for the long term good of the club - I no longer feel that way. I'd rather watch this team win a corner than last years team win a game. The fact that we're doing so well is just the bonus on top.

My main hope is still that we're okay this year, and can make the roster changes needed to become good in 2025

Still think Manning is hugely detrimental to the success of the club and needs to be removed ASAP, mind you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    This is true, they were missing alot of players - absolutely vital players, at that. All things considered we are almost certainly quite alot worse than our record shows

But I don't care, it's still true this team is so much more fun to watch than we have been in years. We could lose the next ten and I'd still have more fun watching it than any team since 2019, really. I just want a team that is playing together, playing for the team and a manager who can rally everyone behind a gameplan. I feel like for far two long TFC was about the egos of a small group of people, and everything else was secondary, and frankly it made me borderline want to see them fail by the mid point of last year just for the long term good of the club - I no longer feel that way. I'd rather watch this team win a corner than last years team win a game. The fact that we're doing so well is just the bonus on top.

My main hope is still that we're okay this year, and can make the roster changes needed to become good in 2025

Still think Manning is hugely detrimental to the success of the club and needs to be removed ASAP, mind you.
    Last year we didn't win these games. I remember the NY Redbulls and Chicago Fire games we played them at home. They were bottom of the table. We didn't manage to win either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Last year we didn't win these games. I remember the NY Redbulls and Chicago Fire games we played them at home. They were bottom of the table. We didn't manage to win either.
    Yeah, I remember the sinking feeling of “they have to win this one, don’t they?” Only to watch the team fall flat.

We’re not a top table team but I wouldn’t rule out a playoff appearance this year. Or finish just into the top half of the east.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah, I remember the sinking feeling of “they have to win this one, don’t they?” Only to watch the team fall flat.

We’re not a top table team but I wouldn’t rule out a playoff appearance this year. Or finish just into the top half of the east.
    It's tough to say. I think we need a true star #9 to really go anywhere. But so far no team looks invincible. Inter Miami's defense is shockingly bad.

Id say Columbus and Cinci look the strongest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Competent at times and in certain aspects is the best I’ve seen us so far - with brief flashes of something more. True, I haven’t seen all the matches but teams don’t usually move instantly from competent (and not entirely competent) to the next level.

Competent will certainly win games in this league and too we’ve had a more than a fair amount of good fortune to do with the states of the clubs we’ve faced. Some lucky breaks, excellent keeping.

Mostly we’ve got the ‘buy in’, the everyone working for the other (or when not at least working hard), and a certain amount of confidence.

That “mostly” just above, has 100% do with Herdman and his staff.

Long, Flores, the work Herdman is doing with the younger players (I’d say JMR is Herdman’s ‘special project’ the way Richie was Vanney’s) all help quite a bit, and then there are the Italians and the defence - the return of Petretta to something more like his form in the Europa and Champions leagues with Basel; someone here pointed out Rosted was the one who moved Spicer inside for his first goal and covered for him; O’Neil is more useful in MLS playing something of that Canada Alastair Johnson role than he has ever been.

There is no substitute for a sensitivity to what players are/need individually and as a group, and no substitute for high professionalism.

Even if it takes a while to improve the roster further it seems to me we are in very good hands. I don’t see this all going wrong, though it should take some more time.

And of course the fates can intervene with injuries, etc, etc., overall one never knows in MLS. But these are different matters, I think.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-26-2024 at 02:24 PM.