Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 3 - Charlotte @ TFC Sat Mach 9th 2:08 pm - I can't believe there's

Something left in my chest again

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is the 12th Man ?

With both Laryea and Longstaff available, and surely nailed-on starters, two players need to give way from Sunday’s starting XI. Coello is one of them. But who is the other? It feels like Herdman has 12 starters as of now. So who does he sit?

Could it be Petretta with Richie taking up the left wing-back role and Fede staying where he is?
    I dunno; Herdman was complimentary of Petretta and praised his connection with Insigne. Plus, I think he passed the eye test for most of us. And while Richie can play on the left he’s better on the right.

Could it be Prince with Fede moving to the 9?
    Again, I dunno: Herdman likes to play with one and sometimes two classic strikers. And as jloome pointed out, Prince is pretty good at dragging the other team's centre backs all over the park and out of position. Would Herdman sacrifice this ability?

If it were me, and he weren’t wearing the armband, I think I might sacrifice Osorio and move Fede into his position behind the striker. But Herdman is not dropping his captain.

So, 12 starters for 11 positions. How does the gaffer solve this puzzle? Because whatever solution he comes up with, we may need to get used to seeing it in so much as the team doesn’t have its first short turnaround until the midweek game in Nashville on May 15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    Who is the 12th Man ?

With both Laryea and Longstaff available, and surely nailed-on starters, two players need to give way from Sunday’s starting XI. Coello is one of them. But who is the other? It feels like Herdman has 12 starters as of now. So who does he sit?

Could it be Petretta with Richie taking up the left wing-back role and Fede staying where he is?
    I dunno; Herdman was complimentary of Petretta and praised his connection with Insigne. Plus, I think he passed the eye test for most of us. And while Richie can play on the left he’s better on the right.

Again, I dunno: Herdman likes to play with one and sometimes two classic strikers. And as jloome pointed out, Prince is pretty good at dragging the other team's centre backs all over the park and out of position. Would Herdman sacrifice this ability?

If it were me, and he weren’t wearing the armband, I think I might sacrifice Osorio and move Fede into his position behind the striker. But Herdman is not dropping his captain.

So, 12 starters for 11 positions. How does the gaffer solve this puzzle? Because whatever solution he comes up with, we may need to get used to seeing it in so much as the team doesn’t have its first short turnaround until the midweek game in Nashville on May 15.
    Probably whichever of Longstaff and Coello has a better training week. Or maybe he starts Coello just to keep the consistency while we’re winning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is the 12th Man ?

Longstaff hasn’t played a match in a year and a half (with the exception of 30 mins in preseason). I’m thinking he’ll be integrated into the eleven slowly. Lots can change in 5 or 6 matches.

The thing that surprises me is how well we seem to be fixed for defenders. A few weeks ago it seemed mediocrity was the best that could be hoped for. Gomes is only one of the unexpected bright spots. Though I did always expect Herdman and his staff to improve matters right away… even the last match of last season was better despite no time at all to work with that group, and Petretta had already come good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/\ Yeah, I don't expect Longstaff to start. He'll just come on at some point for Coello.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, if you listen to Herdman’s post match interviews, when discussing the home opener, he hints at being aggressive. I think he tinkers with and surprises against the past two efforts. How? iDK. Maybe… a 3-4-1-2 with Longstaff likely starting in the DPIV and Coello eventually subbing in. I suspect no Owusu/Striker at first and Osorio slots in the hole as trailing AM with a narrow forward front two of Insigne and Bernardeschi. The wing backs will be Petretta on the left and Laryea on the right. Gomis is the left centre back of the back three.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was funny watching a slight twitter melt down when Longstaff wasn't in the squad on Sunday. I am not sure he will be again by Saturday.

I'm more interested in seeing if Spicer plays. Charlotte's back 4 are fairly static and pace will kill them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    It was funny watching a slight twitter melt down when Longstaff wasn't in the squad on Sunday. I am not sure he will be again by Saturday.

I'm more interested in seeing if Spicer plays. Charlotte's back 4 are fairly static and pace will kill them.
    Does anyone know if Spicer played at TFC2 and if so, how he looked?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will be another very good test for Toronto , Charlotte come in with identical record to TFC 1 win and a tie . They have looked well organized and disciplined and I think their new coach Dean Smith has already made a difference . Therefore, can’t take them lightly they just have to keep doing what they have been doing so far . I think under the circumstances even a tie would be ok at this point , however of course a win is is the ultimate goal .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Does anyone know if Spicer played at TFC2 and if so, how he looked?
    Season doesn't start for another 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Season doesn't start for another 2 weeks.
    Ah, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Probably whichever of Longstaff and Coello has a better training week. Or maybe he starts Coello just to keep the consistency while we’re winning.
    Ok, fair enough. But how do you shoehorn Laryea back into the starting XI? That feels like the more vexing problem wouldn't you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, fair enough. But how do you shoehorn Laryea back into the starting XI? That feels like the more vexing problem wouldn't you think?
    I suspect Petretta goes to the bench.

But they might keep him wide, move Fede into the hole behind the striker, where Osorio played last time, put Richie in the right wing back role, and have Coello sit with Osorio as the eight ahead of Flores.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But they might keep him wide, move Fede into the hole behind the striker, where Osorio played last time, put Richie in the right wing back role, and have Coello sit with Osorio as the eight ahead of Flores.
    I think this will be lineup. Herdman mentioned playing differently at home, and this gets all our most attacking players on the pitch in their natural positions.

Plus I don’t think Fede at wingback is ever Plan A. It just makes more sense to have him and Insigne closer to goal and playing off each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes, nice. I really like this formation. I hope we see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Richie is good to play, but not fit enough to go 90 yet, after missing most of pre-season, I wouldn't mind starting Petretta over him and then bringing Richie in for the second half. Utilize his game-breaking speed, combined with him being fresh against tired legs. Especially if Longstaff starts, this way we can use the same lineup with only one change, rather than two.

Of course, the risk coming off injury would be having him get injured (after coming back from a minor tweak) being a sub and then having to use another sub.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So apparently “soaking rain” in the forecast. Will likely be a sloppy game and the speed of the game may be mitigated by the weather conditions. Ugh.

On a personal note - first time I will be seated on the west side of the stadium. What’s the roof coverage like in 126?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    So apparently “soaking rain” in the forecast. Will likely be a sloppy game and the speed of the game may be mitigated by the weather conditions. Ugh.

On a personal note - first time I will be seated on the west side of the stadium. What’s the roof coverage like in 126?
    It’s so-so…… rain never seems to come down at 90 degrees. I’d bring a poncho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the pitch gets too waterlogged, I guess they can always postpone it to Sunday, like in 2011 where they had to abandon the CCL match against FC Dallas and replay it the next day due to rain and lightning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lower section of 126 gets wet all the time. The roof is very high and any wind pushes the rain beyond the roofline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    If the pitch gets too waterlogged, I guess they can always postpone it to Sunday, like in 2011 where they had to abandon the CCL match against FC Dallas and replay it the next day due to rain and lightning
    The forecast I use has rain beginning Friday night and continuing on Saturday with a chance of snow on Sunday. It’s not looking good, but who really knows… the weather is more unpredictable than the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen 25-35 mm of rain in one day in the Weather Network app forecast. Either I'm running a marathon Saturday or TFC has a home game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 hours from now is a long time for the weather to change.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think gomis starts based on herdman comments.

Can see something like this:

https://twitter.com/Johnsmith2553h/s...KE2SE4VaA&s=19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    I think gomis starts based on herdman comments.

Can see something like this:

https://twitter.com/Johnsmith2553h/s...KE2SE4VaA&s=19

Richie wasn't at training today (atleast not on the field) per Molinaro, so I would image that takes him out of starting contention. Hopefully he can still make the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Richie wasn't at training today (atleast not on the field) per Molinaro, so I would image that takes him out of starting contention. Hopefully he can still make the bench.
    So that might be back to the starting 11 of the last match. Not bad though hoping for Richie and a not too wet
    pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    72 hours from now is a long time for the weather to change.
    Now it’s saying about 25 mm. Getting better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The weather definitely is looking pretty nasty. Cold wet rain and lots of it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The interesting thing about that rain forecast by the Weather Network is 25-35 mm in 24 hours is usually a trigger for Enviro Canada to send out an alert or statement about potential flooding etc.- lets see if they do that later today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we going to have a match that looks like the Canada-USA women's match last night.