Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Speaking of the referees, that foul on Shaffelburg was red card. Wasn't MLS obviously, but it seems everything is loaded to help Miami win.
    Then McNaughton on the follow through almost cripples Messi. I mean, that was a split-second of pressure from being a torn ACL.

Messi was fucking incensed.

Suarez must on Librella or some other monthly Arthritis drug. End of February, his knees looked like rusty hinges. Last two games, he's been running and moving freely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Then McNaughton on the follow through almost cripples Messi. I mean, that was a split-second of pressure from being a torn ACL.

Messi was fucking incensed.

Suarez must on Librella or some other monthly Arthritis drug. End of February, his knees looked like rusty hinges. Last two games, he's been running and moving freely.
    True about Messi.

Suarez has said in the past he takes injections before games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    None of this “made sense at the time”. This isn’t Liverpool. Bob was delusional.
    Under his framework, the move made sense.

The framework was faulty.

Its a slightly different parsing of words for me but the gist is the same as everybody else is saying.

BB was a poor choice - many of us thought at the time he was a good one - like transformation potential good - certainly nobody was thinking he would be compared to unfavourably to Curtis & Armas

Turns out, he was worse then those 2, which is freaking saying something.

We didn't know better. I'm not sure this was how he started his work at LAFC because in his first year there he was all collegial and in mentoring mode with players. By the end, he was known to be upset but nothing in terms of "here's the hand" was mentioned.

Covid times & a family characteristic of "us against them" might have did in any vestige of mentoring

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, definitely Michael. The way it was put to me was basically once they were both in place, it was "do as we say if you want to win." ...
    That line just adds to my thoughts about Herdman taking until the last week to be involved - why butt heads the whole next week after a game with a chronic head butter. Puts the "we are going to be examining things" statements of that time into perspective.

The more I think about this, the more I hope we beat the shit out of this league this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CorrwgBach View Post
    Obvious article but MLS/Apple have to be careful here people are not dumb - https://www.theguardian.com/football...es-us-open-cup
    They deserve this. People respond to sports broadcasts when they are honest and candid. The league (and US Soccer generally) is stuck in a state of self doubt. They have to realize people are saying crap about them anyway, even it’s not on their state sponsored broadcast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We didn't know better. I'm not sure this was how he started his work at LAFC because in his first year there he was all collegial and in mentoring mode with players. By the end, he was known to be upset but nothing in terms of "here's the hand" was mentioned.
    The LAFC thing, in retrospect, was a huge red flag. An ambitious club with a big budget on the incline was either content to let him walk (or for all we know, told him his services weren’t needed). How we were expecting to top his performance there, I don’t know.

Add in his son being an aging piece whose lack of self awareness or willingness to pass the torch had exceedingly become an issue, and it was a ready made disaster.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Nice to see the kid come good. After Bob screwed with him, getting to Nashville was probably the best thing that could have happened to him.
    Happy for him! Getting rid of him was very short sighted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaf had to be let go because BB the GM had to fit his roster into what BB the coach wanted to play - a 4-3-3

Shaff was under BB never going to be a LB or a mid in a 4-3-3 or the sub for Insigne.

The move made sense at the time but the decisions why it made sense were wrong.
    The typical (very Manning) move was that no one realized that Insigne played only 80% of matches and never played a full 90 with Napoli. It’s taken Herdman to do a little basic research on that matter….

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    The typical (very Manning) move was that no one realized that Insigne played only 80% of matches and never played a full 90 with Napoli. It’s taken Herdman to do a little basic research on that matter….

^Exactly this…. But it wasnt just Shaff, it was anyone who could be reasonably expected to play LM/LW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    ^Exactly this…. But it wasnt just Shaff, it was anyone who could be reasonably expected to play LM/LW
    Travesty of a GM/Sporting Director.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GO anticipated the demand for GO after the game westbound but not sure they realised the difference fare integration made to Eastbound

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weekly Gio Reyna update: not in the starters, not on the bench. FotMob doesn’t list him as injured. Is he even on the team anymore? Did Forest end the loan? Greatest American player of all time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GO anticipated the demand for GO after the game westbound but not sure they realised the difference fare integration made to Eastbound
    The first westbound train after the game was pretty smooth entering the tunnel but became a mess once exiting on the platform. The tunnel ends at the front of the station and most people stood there waiting for the train. Once the train arrived, everyone crammed onto the first few cars while the back of the train was relatively empty. There were numerous announcements by GO staff to move further down the platform but it was clearly disorganized. Also, there are major platform repairs at long branch and half the train doors didn’t open at the station. This required a bunch of people to move through the train to get to the appropriate car.

I am sure this issues will smooth out over the course of the first few games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weekly Gio Reyna update: not in the starters, not on the bench. FotMob doesn’t list him as injured. Is he even on the team anymore? Did Forest end the loan? Greatest American player of all time.
    Injured, according to Forest fans on Reddit yesterday. Sounded minor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Injured, according to Forest fans on Reddit yesterday. Sounded minor.
    He hasn’t been in the last two team sheets. Has played a total of 39 minutes.
    Last edited by Canary10; 03-10-2024 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He hasn’t been in the last two team sheets. Has played a total of 39 minutes.
    Oh, I'm aware. It's quite the disaster loan for him. But Forest fans were saying the reason he's been out the last two is he has a thigh strain.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fare integration will raise the use of the GO east bound big time as it costs you nothing more now to use it and transfer to the subway that using the street card. it quicker etc.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1765939561962574224
    Could someone explain to me again why we traded Shaffelburg?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1765939561962574224
    Could someone explain to me again why we traded Shaffelburg?
    Because he wasn't a good enough fullback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 games in, lol but between power rankings and the other articles posted, and Matt Doyle (for a guy whose never played the game, or coached or took badges why he has so much credibility while being so smug is beyond me) - MLS writers and content creators still have a mega hate boner over us turfing Bob.

They seemingly can’t come to a realization that maybe the team wasn’t all that bad; that it isn’t just player quality, through balls and FIFA tactics/x’s & o’s That decide a team is ‘good’. That if Bob couldn’t have got more production out of it - team musta surely sucked.

Or maybe Bob and MB4 and the coaching staff that were apart of that were the problem lol. That their approach blew, training philosophy’s weren’t modern at all, and that in 2024 you can’t speak or boom around with excess bravado to athletes and kids like Bob does if you have minimal winning consistency to back it.

I hope our Defense continues, we add a striker and we stay higher up or at least stay in a playoff fight - and half these pundits/mouthpieces just stay the fk away from any start of putting focus on us. Even if they are shackled by Miami/US markets needing all the exposure to boost Apple subs - between Montreal and our good start, there isn’t a whole lot to respect being given at least early (I know, 3 games in lol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Well stated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThreeTwo View Post
    3 games in, lol but between power rankings and the other articles posted, and Matt Doyle (for a guy whose never played the game, or coached or took badges why he has so much credibility while being so smug is beyond me) - MLS writers and content creators still have a mega hate boner over us turfing Bob.

They seemingly can’t come to a realization that maybe the team wasn’t all that bad; that it isn’t just player quality, through balls and FIFA tactics/x’s & o’s That decide a team is ‘good’. That if Bob couldn’t have got more production out of it - team musta surely sucked.

Or maybe Bob and MB4 and the coaching staff that were apart of that were the problem lol. That their approach blew, training philosophy’s weren’t modern at all, and that in 2024 you can’t speak or boom around with excess bravado to athletes and kids like Bob does if you have minimal winning consistency to back it.

I hope our Defense continues, we add a striker and we stay higher up or at least stay in a playoff fight - and half these pundits/mouthpieces just stay the fk away from any start of putting focus on us. Even if they are shackled by Miami/US markets needing all the exposure to boost Apple subs - between Montreal and our good start, there isn’t a whole lot to respect being given at least early (I know, 3 games in lol)

If Bobs last name was anything other than Bradley there is no way he would have lasted as long as he did. It was hard to pull the plug because of everything MB4 had done for the club. The blind adoration that Doyle and CO. have for him is based on the success he had with the USMNT from 2006 - 2011. The game has long passed him by but the US pundits refuse to acknowledge this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or, TFC is just overperforming at this time.

I can't blame the pundits from under rating TFC. Let's face it, most of us expected us to be shit at the beginning of the season.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 games in, lol but between power rankings and the other articles posted, and Matt Doyle (for a guy whose never played the game, or coached or took badges why he has so much credibility while being so smug
    I don’t think that lot will ever favour Canadian clubs. As for having played the game: most who have played at the highest level are inarticulate (verbally) and the best players often make for mediocre coaches. Commentating, analysis, playing, coaching are different skill sets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Or, TFC is just overperforming at this time.

I can't blame the pundits from under rating TFC. Let's face it, most of us expected us to be shit at the beginning of the season.
    I think it's this.

We're doing great, I love absolutely everything about what Herdman has done, but we're still a 'first round exit in the playoffs is a hugely successful season' team. It's possible we'll do better than that, the Italians being bought in is a good reason for optimism, but anyone here would have snapped your hand off if you offered that to them 3 games ago. I just don't want to see Herdman bashed because of unreasonable expectations this start raises, we'll have lots and lots of games where we struggle, and that's fine given the mess he inherited

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the other hand, imagine when we start getting production from a striker, get Longstaff properly integrated, and get Richie back…
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may be an unpopular position, but the single biggest reason for our changing fortunes right now isn't John Herdman, it's our new spine of Debyi Flores and Kevin Long.

I mean... that's a bit trite, as I believe Herdman IS driving the change and they wouldn't be here if he hadn't taken over.

But ultimately, players win games, not managers and we had no spine for the last three seasons.

Once Drew Moor left and Michael lost his second gear, we were fucked. Once Mark Delgado left, we were REALLY fucked.

We've had lots of seasons without much offensive punch. But we were never as bad as we were last year, because at the least, we had a defensive midfielder who occasionally gave us hope, or a defensive pairing that was working, or a hot keeper.

But the last three seasons we've had NO SPINE. Teams could just run through our midfield and set up in our end, then low block us going the other way.

Herdman recognized that immediately and his first three major player moves were for two DMs (Longstaff is more a wrecker than an eight, I think) and a veteran centre back.

Osorio and Coello just aren't mobile enough on the cover. Flores is a pure wrecker, a guy who spots where the pass is going before it gets there and cuts it out, or arrives to shut down the recipient before he can take a step. None of our other midfielders do that well.

Long's read is superior. We got pulled apart by a practised offensive set against Charlotte that would've left Copetti in alone behind our deep back line.

Long read it from 30 yards away, broke position and ran behind his own line to cut out the pass. None of our other players had even SEEN it.

The biggest knock on MLS right now is the disparity between attacking and defending. Everyone is spending their money on young attackers they can sell on. But that means a team with a defender who is great at reading and reacting often has an immediate advantage.

I think Herdman has sussed this league out and reacted with tactics and selections designed to work specifically in MLS, and that's the catalyst. But the addition of the right pieces is why we're doing better. All the "buy in" in the world, and we still only have two goals after three games.

It's just that this is a league in which you can win a lot of 1-0 games with a really good defence and bulwark midfield, and not many teams seem to have realized it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the other hand, imagine when we start getting production from a striker, get Longstaff properly integrated, and get Richie back…
    I will say IF we get a striker who can score goals in this league and, yeah, if Longstaff is fit and ready to produce my optimism will shoot way, way up. Especially the former. Do nothing but add a point man who can score 10-15 goals a season to this team and we become a completely different proposition. With that, our attack is frightening, and up there with any in the league.

I just worry that, without it, we'll lose our fair share of games this season and I'd hate to see people turn on Herdman. His job was stabilize, get the dressing room in order and make us respectable and I expect him to knock it out of the park based on what I've seen. I'd hate for people to suddenly think he's failing because our start to the season isn't a pace we can maintain for the full year. With this current team, if we're even in a play off conversation, especially if we actually make it, I'm considering that a huge win and a solid platform for 2025 which is all I wanted to get from this season. Anything on top is dream land.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add a fit Richie and a 15 goal scorer, a Boupenza or Bouanga type? We'd be really hard to beat.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add a fit Richie and a 15 goal scorer, a Boupenza or Bouanga type? We'd be really hard to beat.
    yeah i saw the goal cucho hernandez scored against houston yesterday.

get this team guy like that who can run the channels, link up, and score and we'll be a genuine contender imo.