Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 215

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    RPB Member
    Moderator

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    18,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default 2024 General TFC/MLS Banter (no transfer/roster discussion)

    This thread is a catch-all for general banter not specifically related to transfer rumours.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

  2. #2
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Frozen Swampland
    Posts
    17,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ďYears have gone by and Iíve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

    I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ĎA pretty move, for the love of God.í

    And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I donít give a damn which team or country performs it.Ē

    -Eduardo Galeano

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    3,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well… the cynical in me says not so much of a surprise, if this serious allegation is accurate; can you say Chelsea?


  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Didnít know where to put this but Gio Reyna not even on the bench for Forest today. The supposed best player in US history.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Didnít know where to put this but Gio Reyna not even on the bench for Forest today. The supposed best player in US history.
    I take way too much joy in this. Not just because of the overhype and his seemingly shit attitude but also because of his over-zealous parents. No word if theyíve called Nuno Santo yet to protest his lack of playing time.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North York ON
    Posts
    1,217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I take way too much joy in this. Not just because of the overhype and his seemingly shit attitude but also because of his over-zealous parents. No word if theyíve called Nuno Santo yet to protest his lack of playing time.
    They're too busy calling all of his exes from college looking for dirt

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    17,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I take way too much joy in this. Not just because of the overhype and his seemingly shit attitude but also because of his over-zealous parents. No word if they’ve called Nuno Santo yet to protest his lack of playing time.
    The best part is the American indignance over it. They just can't accept he isn't good enough to unseat Morgan Gibbs-White, a much, much better footballer.

    Reyna has ball skills. Like most American players, he has a million holes in his game, and that's before you get to the arrogance he's displayed since he was a kid.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I take way too much joy in this. Not just because of the overhype and his seemingly shit attitude but also because of his over-zealous parents. No word if theyíve called Nuno Santo yet to protest his lack of playing time.
    Lol. I feel the same.

  9. #9
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    22,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    15 years of a weekly tally of US players who scored a goal in Europe really has warped people's minds as to capability.

    Its like you take the "oh where is the latest shiny star" mentality of the english press & add a dash of short term memory loss

    Guy scored goals for Dortmund a few years ago and people think he's great based on those.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    5,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So when TFC is terrible like last year, I find it hard to get motivated to pay attention to the rest of the league, but I've just been going through some of the weekend's highlights from the other games and I gotta say I'm starting to feel that energetic vibe again!

    Great crowds even in places that don't normally draw well, like Chicago and NE, packed stadiums in the ones you'd expect. Some craziness (RSL v. LAFC). I really hope BMO is packed next week for the home opener and everyone can start having some fun again.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    15 years of a weekly tally of US players who scored a goal in Europe really has warped people's minds as to capability.

    Its like you take the "oh where is the latest shiny star" mentality of the english press & add a dash of short term memory loss

    Guy scored goals for Dortmund a few years ago and people think he's great based on those.
    I thought he showed pretty high potential at times. But itís consistently hitting high form and improving that makes you a great footballer. He doesnít have the requisites to stay at the top. Rather, it seems like he has baggage thatís going to hinder his career.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-03-2024 at 07:25 PM.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Jacob Shaffelburg scored a brace against Miami tonight. Guess that was a mistake trading him.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Jacob Shaffelburg scored a brace against Miami tonight. Guess that was a mistake trading him.
    Scored 2! Beautiful goals, the both of them.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,608
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Jacob Shaffelburg scored a brace against Miami tonight. Guess that was a mistake trading him.
    Nice to see the kid come good. After Bob screwed with him, getting to Nashville was probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You know, we did totally blow it with Shaffelburg but I feel Ike heís in the right place. That flowing mullet and Nashville just go together so well.

    Heís very much cementing his cult hero status over there. All around great story.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    5,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    You know, we did totally blow it with Shaffelburg but I feel Ike he’s in the right place. That flowing mullet and Nashville just go together so well.

    He’s very much cementing his cult hero status over there. All around great story.
    Though it really hurt to see him kissing the badge.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    You know, we did totally blow it with Shaffelburg but I feel Ike heís in the right place. That flowing mullet and Nashville just go together so well.

    Heís very much cementing his cult hero status over there. All around great story.
    Yeah good for him to get out of our TFC mess. Does seem like he found the right place. Another example of wtf was Bob doing and how was he considered a top coach?

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North York ON
    Posts
    1,217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Bob wasn't a great coach, but as GM I stand by the fact that he might be the worst one in league history. Never has somebody gotten so little with so much, and almost every big roster decision made was objectively absolutely catastrophic. A random number generator would have at least gotten some decisions correct, the damage his roster construction did was incredible.

    Delighted for shaff, though. He clearly didn't let it get to him and likely used it as a motivator, that's a great mentality to have

  19. #19
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    22,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Shaf had to be let go because BB the GM had to fit his roster into what BB the coach wanted to play - a 4-3-3

    Shaff was under BB never going to be a LB or a mid in a 4-3-3 or the sub for Insigne.


    The move made sense at the time but the decisions why it made sense were wrong.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17,315
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Shaf had to be let go because BB the GM had to fit his roster into what BB the coach wanted to play - a 4-3-3

    Shaff was under BB never going to be a LB or a mid in a 4-3-3 or the sub for Insigne.


    The move made sense at the time but the decisions why it made sense were wrong.
    None of this “made sense at the time”. This isn’t Liverpool. Bob was delusional. Nobody in this league should ever let young talent go for free, for roster construction reasons. Every good MLS team has excellent, cheaper components, in fact that's usually at least 3-4 of the starters. When you have one of those pieces, you figure it out.

    Same for JRR btw. Bob just blew it on talent evaluation. Period.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-08-2024 at 08:34 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    17,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    None of this ďmade sense at the timeĒ. This isnít Liverpool. Bob was delusional. Nobody in this league should ever let young talent go for free, for roster construction reasons. Every good MLS team has excellent, cheaper components, in fact that's usually at least 3-4 of the starters. When you have one of those pieces, you figure it out.

    Same for JRR btw. Bob just blew it on talent evaluation. Period.
    I've said it so many times people are sick of hearing it but it was one of the worst personnel decisions this or any club in this league has ever made, for what we got.

    I'll also say there are a few people at the club who regard giving him full control over personnel the single dumbest decision the club has ever made.

    His judgement was just awful, in handling people, in handling personnel. "He would not listen to a single word anyone said to him, neither of them would" was basically way one of my contacts there put it.

    They'd expected him to be collegial, for it to be a mentoring atmosphere, but from day one it was "show the hand", not just to the players but to other people at the club.

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I've said it so many times people are sick of hearing it but it was one of the worst personnel decisions this or any club in this league has ever made, for what we got.

    I'll also say there are a few people at the club who regard giving him full control over personnel the single dumbest decision the club has ever made.

    His judgement was just awful, in handling people, in handling personnel. "He would not listen to a single word anyone said to him, neither of them would" was basically way one of my contacts there put it.

    They'd expected him to be collegial, for it to be a mentoring atmosphere, but from day one it was "show the hand", not just to the players but to other people at the club.
    He was old school coach I think. Coaching has moved beyond being a drill sergeant and he hasn't/can't move with the times. The best coaches now reach their players emotionally too. Klopp being the prime example. Herdman I think probably falls in that category too. His talent evaluation was clearly terrible too though, as you said.
    Last edited by Canary10; 03-08-2024 at 09:44 AM.

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    17,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's not exactly inaccurate, but this headline in the Guardian today was uncomfortable.

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...-miami-insigne

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North York ON
    Posts
    1,217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I've said it so many times people are sick of hearing it but it was one of the worst personnel decisions this or any club in this league has ever made, for what we got.

    I'll also say there are a few people at the club who regard giving him full control over personnel the single dumbest decision the club has ever made.

    His judgement was just awful, in handling people, in handling personnel. "He would not listen to a single word anyone said to him, neither of them would" was basically way one of my contacts there put it.

    They'd expected him to be collegial, for it to be a mentoring atmosphere, but from day one it was "show the hand", not just to the players but to other people at the club.
    Whose the second person they're referring too - Michael or Bill, I assume?

  25. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    17,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Whose the second person they're referring too - Michael or Bill, I assume?
    Oh, definitely Michael. The way it was put to me was basically once they were both in place, it was "do as we say if you want to win." That extended to players they were looking at and Jack Dodd bailing out, several other lesser front office people leaving.

    Problematically, the front office gets massive pressure on how to operate from MLS. The single-entity interference is constant, in everything from personnel decisions to how they handle corporate communications. The politics are continual, and he is perceived as a great coach by many of the league's brass.

    I would bet at least 75% of the "they want to go immediately" shit during the offseason was just MLS people priming the pump, and 90% of that Athletic article was Michael and MAK.
    Last edited by jloome; 03-08-2024 at 10:32 AM.

  26. #26
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    22,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    None of this ďmade sense at the timeĒ. This isnít Liverpool. Bob was delusional.
    Under his framework, the move made sense.

    The framework was faulty.

    Its a slightly different parsing of words for me but the gist is the same as everybody else is saying.

    BB was a poor choice - many of us thought at the time he was a good one - like transformation potential good - certainly nobody was thinking he would be compared to unfavourably to Curtis & Armas

    Turns out, he was worse then those 2, which is freaking saying something.

    We didn't know better. I'm not sure this was how he started his work at LAFC because in his first year there he was all collegial and in mentoring mode with players. By the end, he was known to be upset but nothing in terms of "here's the hand" was mentioned.

    Covid times & a family characteristic of "us against them" might have did in any vestige of mentoring

  27. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North York ON
    Posts
    1,217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah I can't agree that that move in any way shape or form made any sense at the time, and most of us said so at the time. You don't give away young talent who are insignificant hits to your cap in this league, the way the league is structured players like that are golden and to just give one away made absolutely no sense then or now and thinking like that is why Herdman inherited a bloated cap with no room to maneuver while having a bottom feeding squad.

    The Shaff trade would have been bad in a 'normal' league, in MLS it was absolutely unforgivable. You cannot build a squad in this league without some low cap hit, solid options. That's the foundation you build on in MLS

  28. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I've said it so many times people are sick of hearing it but it was one of the worst personnel decisions this or any club in this league has ever made, for what we got.

    I'll also say there are a few people at the club who regard giving him full control over personnel the single dumbest decision the club has ever made.

    His judgement was just awful, in handling people, in handling personnel. "He would not listen to a single word anyone said to him, neither of them would" was basically way one of my contacts there put it.

    They'd expected him to be collegial, for it to be a mentoring atmosphere, but from day one it was "show the hand", not just to the players but to other people at the club.
    Other worst decisions ever:

    Hiring him in the first place
    Not firing him sooner

  29. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CorrwgBach View Post
    Obvious article but MLS/Apple have to be careful here people are not dumb - https://www.theguardian.com/football...es-us-open-cup
    They deserve this. People respond to sports broadcasts when they are honest and candid. The league (and US Soccer generally) is stuck in a state of self doubt. They have to realize people are saying crap about them anyway, even itís not on their state sponsored broadcast.

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We didn't know better. I'm not sure this was how he started his work at LAFC because in his first year there he was all collegial and in mentoring mode with players. By the end, he was known to be upset but nothing in terms of "here's the hand" was mentioned.
    The LAFC thing, in retrospect, was a huge red flag. An ambitious club with a big budget on the incline was either content to let him walk (or for all we know, told him his services werenít needed). How we were expecting to top his performance there, I donít know.

    Add in his son being an aging piece whose lack of self awareness or willingness to pass the torch had exceedingly become an issue, and it was a ready made disaster.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •