Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An International Spot may have just been traded for!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

International Spots FC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard Eckersley look alike?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    He is a rejuvenation project of a once highly touted prospect who had offers from Inter Milan etc. For what it's worth, Newcastle fans seem to rate him and blame injuries + bad management for his decline. https://www.reddit.com/r/NUFC/commen...about_to_sign/

In a way, coming here and with Herdmann is perfect as this whole team is a rejuvenation project at the moment. Low risk high reward. Worst case hes another average player for us. Best case he succeeds and gets interest from Europe again.
    But can he still go, or have injuries indeed ruined him? The fact he's bounced around league two and the SPL doesn't inspire confidence. The risk factor comes down to cap hit and if he takes an international spot, at the wrong numbers, he becomes a higher and higher risk. Low cap hit and no international spot, absolutely take a flyer, otherwise? I'm not convinced by this. He was good once, too good for us, but that isn't necessarily what we're getting now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    But can he still go, or have injuries indeed ruined him? The fact he's bounced around league two and the SPL doesn't inspire confidence. The risk factor comes down to cap hit and if he takes an international spot, at the wrong numbers, he becomes a higher and higher risk. Low cap hit and no international spot, absolutely take a flyer, otherwise? I'm not convinced by this. He was good once, too good for us, but that isn't necessarily what we're getting now
    Bouncing around lower leagues is a bit concerming. But let’s remember how ruthless the football pyramid is in England at times. It’s easy to get lost in the wash if you’re a guy who needs to be nurtured back or can’t contribute right away.

Maybe the patience he’ll be shown here will help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC2 signed two ncaa players, but look at that nice TFC2 red kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I side with that hope too. If someone’s already shown a higher ceiling and exemplified skills at a much higher level but it falls off after being on a loan train and having mega injuries then it’s easier to give em benefit of the doubt that it could be cause of the injury/conditions and organizations he was in that just expected him to ‘get on with his football‘ - and not condition him back in a proper way and he’s dropped in confidence and form

At least for me that scenario is more optimistic then someone who everyone says is always promising if he only switches clubs and gets a better chance - but has never actually proven anywhere in their history that they’ve hit a top tier baseline of performance - just wishful thinking.

Also noticed the players we got - wonder if we’re gonna see a slight rotation of the positions - call me crazy but if other strikers are out of form… add the new younger CB we got and who demands minutes - moves petretta back to WB- Laryea moves back to RB- Oso stays where he was, and yeah… berna goes up top. Given some of the additional players - hard to judge if it’s just depth we’re adding for a gruelling season- or if there’s a slight rotation of positions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThreeTwo View Post
    Yeah I side with that hope too. If someone’s already shown a higher ceiling and exemplified skills at a much higher level but it falls off after being on a loan train and having mega injuries then it’s easier to give em benefit of the doubt that it could be cause of the injury/conditions and organizations he was in that just expected him to ‘get on with his football‘ - and not condition him back in a proper way and he’s dropped in confidence and form

At least for me that scenario is more optimistic then someone who everyone says is always promising if he only switches clubs and gets a better chance - but has never actually proven anywhere in their history that they’ve hit a top tier baseline of performance - just wishful thinking.

Also noticed the players we got - wonder if we’re gonna see a slight rotation of the positions - call me crazy but if other strikers are out of form… add the new younger CB we got and who demands minutes - moves petretta back to WB- Laryea moves back to RB- Oso stays where he was, and yeah… berna goes up top. Given some of the additional players - hard to judge if it’s just depth we’re adding for a gruelling season- or if there’s a slight rotation of positions
    My take on Longstaff is that he was pretty highly touted as the younger brother of Sean Longstaff, and a combination of injuries and possibly some arrogance did him in.

He went on loan to Scotland and SPL fans say basically acted like a typical spoiled EPL loan, complaining that he wasn't getting playing time and, when they cancelled the loan after five games, suggesting the league was beneath him.

Then he went to Mansfield and did quite well, playing regularly and scoring some goals from deep (he's noted for, in his 20 or so senior games, scoring a long bomb against man und). After that, they loaned him to Colchester and he wasn't getting as much playing time, then tore his ACL.

I understand before he went on loan to the SPL he was doing well and progressing towards Newcastle's first team, but he got set back by muscle injuries.

So he looks like he has a lot of upside, and if he still has the EPL work ethic, he'll hopefully have an engine. (We all remember how good Eckerlsey's drive was in his first season, I'm sure, before MLS' relatively lethargic defending ruined it).

But he's also been injured a lot. I'm betting they see him platooning with Coello, but also being a backup and late sub in games we're winning for Flores. If he ends up staying healthy, maybe he rounds into competing for a starting job. He'll have the technical skill, we can probably bank on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're out of slots, cap and international spots. I think it's safe to say we won't be getting a striker any time soon.

Fingers crossed Kerr, Owusu and Akinola can combine for ten or more.

I mean, I'm pretty sure they can top the combined six that Kerr and Sapong put up or the whopping zero Ayo had at San Jose.

But it would be nice if someone came in for one of our players, maybe Blessing, and opened up a slot and some money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am the only one who worries Manning got bamboozled into thinking he signed Sean Longstaff?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not too sure Bill Manning is involved in these findings beyond a yay or nay at the end.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    TFC2 signed two ncaa players, but look at that nice TFC2 red kit.

bro why don't we have these as our home kits, it's actually infuriating seeing the onyx kit when we have this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I am the only one who worries Manning got bamboozled into thinking he signed Sean Longstaff?
    bill is too busy doing this all the time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really like what Hernandez and Herdman have done in this window. They didn't do anything too flashy, but they focused on improving the spine on the team. Long and Flores are both experienced vets who are gonna be huge this year and next. Gomis and Longstaff are young guys with boom or bust potential. If we can hit on just one of them, we are in good shape.

Obviously, we still need someone who can score a goal as a striker, but that will likely have to wait until the summer or next offseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    But he's also been injured a lot. I'm betting they see him platooning with Coello, but also being a backup and late sub in games we're winning for Flores. If he ends up staying healthy, maybe he rounds into competing for a starting job. He'll have the technical skill, we can probably bank on that.
    Sounds a good bet. He’s coming off an ACL and Coello is still young in professional football experience. Also those two should give Herdman each a different look, they’re not like for like, exactly. And we did need a Flores back up - hoping Longstaff can, in time, do that as well.

Blessing seems the odd man out especially when Servania returns … we can do better if he can be moved without having to eat part of his salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^
    Suspect Herdman and Manning taking Longstaff to Kitten And The Bear for some Singing Hinnys was a lot less expensive than bringing either of the Italians for dinner to Sotto Sotto.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-29-2024 at 07:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Striker fir better or worse will wait till summer.

Maybe we free up Blessing, loan Cash back to SA and hopefully go after someone proven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    bill is too busy doing this all the time
    Yeah, it's pretty obvious that H&H did a little more than look at the Transfermarket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Longstaff can stay healthy, he should be able to provide valuable depth in the midfield.

As for an upgrade at the striker position, we may have to look at acquiring a domestic player in MLS via trade. I don't see any other options prior to the next transfer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    As for an upgrade at the striker position, we may have to look at acquiring a domestic player in MLS via trade. I don't see any other options prior to the next transfer window.
    Maybe we'll get lucky. Maybe we'll find he signed Nicksoen Gomis to be the left wingback, and they think Spicer has promise as a striker. At the very least, if he's as quick as advertised, he could stretch some backlines.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do think if given ample opportunities in a functional side kerr can be a 10+ goals a season striker.

but also really think we need a DP striker. would be willing to wait til the summer if that's what it takes to get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. I think that's the complication I wonder if Longstaff has Canadian grandparents. His father was a pro ice hockey player but in England. Normally, those dudes are Canadians who go over there, but he appears to have been a Brit. If he has Canadian ancestry we might not need an int'l slot. May also be that Coello is going off the list, if he's counted as homegrown. Homegrown internationals don't need a permit after a certain period (A year, I think). Or we just miscounted on the int'l slots and there's one left.
    I'm not sure Longstaff needs one. Seems a heck of a coincidence his dad was a pro hockey player, makes me suspect Canadian lineage.
    You may be onto something/right. Not sure of Matty’s mother but believe just like his father, she was born in England. I suspect, as you may, that Matty’s father likely may have spent some of his youth in Canada. IIRC, there is mention in an interview that Matty’s parents thought about emigrating to Canada when he was a child. So maybe through his grandparents he does have Canadian lineage or his father even held a Canadian passport if either of Matty’s grandparents were born in Canada or became so for economic reasons. I understand that FIFA/EU for nation status declaration for international duty accepts up to grandparent lineage as one of the several criteria. That the player must hold legal citizenship to play. IIUC, similarly, MLS does require the footballer to have at least begun the process of securing such status to not require the IS designation. Being from the UK, Matty should be able to hold duel citizenship. If he does not already hold a Canadian Passport, maybe Matty has already started that process or TFC will need an IS for him until he does?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. I think that's the complication… May also be that Coello is going off the list, if he's counted as homegrown. Homegrown internationals don't need a permit after a certain period (A year, I think)… Or we just miscounted on the int'l slots and there's one left.
    Not sure about Coello. IIUC, and unless the rule has been updated since 30NOV23, Coello needed to be signed by a NA academy a minimum one year before becoming sixteen to not require an IS in MLS as a Homegrown.

https://www.mnufc.com/news/know-your...e-roster-rules

• Homegrown Internationals: The player became a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada (or a Canadian-approved youth club), no later than the year in which he turned 15 years old and signed his first professional contract with MLS or an MLS club's affiliate (MLS NEXT Pro).
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-01-2024 at 12:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    You may be onto something/right. Not sure of Matty’s mother but believe just like his father, she was born in England. I suspect, as you may, that Matty’s father likely may have spent some of his youth in Canada. IIRC, there is mention in an interview that Matty’s parents thought about emigrating to Canada when he was a child. So maybe through his grandparents he does have Canadian lineage or his father even held a Canadian passport if either of Matty’s grandparents were born in Canada or became so for economic reasons. I understand that FIFA/EU for nation status declaration for international duty accepts up to grandparent lineage as one of the several criteria. That the player must hold legal citizenship to play. IIUC, similarly, MLS does require the footballer to have at least begun the process of securing such status to not require the IS designation. Being from the UK, Matty should be able to hold duel citizenship. If he does not already hold a Canadian Passport, maybe Matty has already started that process or TFC will need an IS for him until he does?
    We traded for another spot for him, from Cincy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ythallo is headed TFC II, which is excellent news.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Ythallo is headed TFC II, which is excellent news.

exciting prospect for TFC II. will be tuning in to see how he does

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Herdman says “anything is possible” when asked if there’s potential for more signings before the primary MLS transfer window closes in April 👀💵

https://twitter.com/TouchlineTFC/sta...8GDzYahrQ&s=19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you told me we were signing Gomis and Ythallo and one would be on TFC2 and one on the first team, I would've figured they'd be the reverse.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He will be able to train with the first team for sure, Ythallo, he has pedigree, would not be surprised to see him get a first team run out at some point, could be signed to short term deal for some cup matches. He is an interesting prospect.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!