Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Of all of the Bradley disaster class decisions, seemingly falling out with and then getting rid of Poz for a bag of balls is up there for the worst one. And that's an elite list.

And then, naturally, we got the ol' TFC "Hey, he just magically wanted to leave" line which he had to later refute himself. Ugh. Still upsets me. What a player he was. I think only Seba could comfortably say he was a better TFC player than him in our history.
    It was shades of “Danny’s body just cannot make that flight to the west coast, he’s too old”

That’s just so feckless. If I was in the press I would paraphrase what he said back to him and make him acknowledge it. The idea is just so plainly stupid we are all dumber for having listened to it.

I feel like we are owed an extra press core tar-and-feathering of Bob. The league types are embarrassing for defending him. If anyone thought he could still coach in this league he wouldn’t be in Norway,

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Front-office people, too. Poz was the one big change under Bob that they pleaded with him not to pursue, and argued that he'd become part of the DNA of the club. Didn't matter, spoke Spanish (not German, English or Italian), had his own social circle, played primarily offensively instead of as an eight. That was enough. So fucking arrogant, that man. My good lord.
    BB's inflexibility about what is useful or required in a midfield will be the longest standing issue TFC will face post BB.

Coello
    Servania
    Oso
    JMR
    Kosi

All of them have had their midfield roles mentally fluxed to the point where they have no career clarity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    BB's inflexibility about what is useful or required in a midfield will be the longest standing issue TFC will face post BB.

Coello
    Servania
    Oso
    JMR
    Kosi

All of them have had their midfield roles mentally fluxed to the point where they have no career clarity.
    The penchant for making everyone who was learning (or not valued) a fullback was really annoying. That’s something coaches would do 10-15 years ago when that position wasn’t as important.

Today, most teams are trying to attack with speed from the inside channel and if you just throw some learner in there he’s likely going to get destroyed trying to defend the other teams best player.

But I guess that wasn’t in the coaching manual when dinosaurs walked the earth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    It was shades of “Danny’s body just cannot make that flight to the west coast, he’s too old”

That’s just so feckless. If I was in the press I would paraphrase what he said back to him and make him acknowledge it. The idea is just so plainly stupid we are all dumber for having listened to it.

I feel like we are owed an extra press core tar-and-feathering of Bob. The league types are embarrassing for defending him. If anyone thought he could still coach in this league he wouldn’t be in Norway,
    The Danny can't fly thing was so fucking embarrassing. Probably for him, too.

LA types were sort of openly warning about Bob but I thought it was sour grapes over him leaving. But most I've talked to online are clear that they were so relieved he was gone. They could see the tactical rigidity making everything harder than it had to be and running players into the ground.

Cherundolo made significant changes to how they use the counter and buildup, so that they still press and short pass in their opponents' end, but they don't rely constantly on the build from the back, and they don't force their midfielders into uncomfortable positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Coello
    Servania
    Oso
    JMR
    Kosi

I actually thought Thompson made some strides as a fullback. But he wasn't good. And in midfield now, I'm not even sure what his role is. I think they see him as a six.

He's really naturally athletic, quick and usually make a smart pass. But he's completely timid, his movement looks largely reactive and he clearly has no offensive role/confidence. He sort of reminds me of a young Brandon Servania.

If there's one thing I'd really like Herdman to do (other than make us a league winning dynasty) , it's bring clarity to the yutes. Franklin's clearly a fullback, JMR looks decent at both fullback and wing, but probably better at the latter. Coello, I think, has to be an eight; he doesn't look mobile or quick enough to be a 10 or 6. But we seem to mostly use him as a six. Thompson we use as a two-way mid sub, but maybe he SHOULD be a six, as he does cover ground well, his first pass is usually pretty crisp, he's tall and he can tackle.

I think Oso is either a starter as an eight or a sub as a 10. He's not an 8/6 anymore, doesn't have the legs, and he's lousy on the wing. His best periods were as an eight in 2018 or an eight/six in 2020.

Really, I think the one thing it all points to is that our skill/depth level in the first team and subs is just deficient enough that keeping guys in roles they can solidify is more important than moving them around the pitch.

So far, Herdman seems inclined to move them around the pitch, and in a league with as little practice and downtime as MLS, due to travel, I think that's probably a mistake. Maybe when he's been at the helm longer he'll decide where they fit best and stop fucking around.

To that end, if they're not going to use Fede as a lone nine, they should keep him at wingback. Between his engine and his technique, it's where we get the best use, and Spicer doesn't really look ready yet to be a game-in/out starter. So when Richie gets back, it would be better to see him on the opposite flank.
    Last edited by jloome; 04-17-2024 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of shuffling the learners and unwanted to fullback, Pozuelo was heading in that direction under Bob. Genk and TFC under Vanney used him quite differently, but he had to be either the player you build your team around (as the Genk president put it), or the player you build your offence around (as Vanney did).

‘Danny can’t fly’ was one of the worst TFC bad management moments… but man, we’ve had many of them.

Three years of mediocrity and incompetence takes time to undo… even more so with purse strings closed. Leiweke and the Vanney period gave hope that money could quickly improve things… but when our manger refers to $600,000 or 700,000 as “a pot of money,” (THE pot) - you know it’s going to take time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if they're not going to use Fede as a lone nine, they should keep him at wingback. Between his engine and his technique, it's where we get the best use, and Spicer doesn't really look ready yet to be a game-in/out starter. So when Richie gets back, it would be better to see him on the opposite flank.
    Definitely the two on opposite flanks as fullbacks. I saw enough of Bernie and Richie together to not want much more of that. But I’m not sure if Richie underneath Insinge is ideal either. So far, Petretta has looked best with Insigne. No doubt we’ll instantly be better with Richie playing anywhere but it seems like signing him involved the idea that Bernie’s best position was not right full back… which however I think it is. We don’t have the roster strength to not put Bernie, Insigne and Richie in the best places for them to succeed… not sure if that’s entirely possible.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 04-17-2024 at 02:20 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, Herdman checked Kosi as an RCB in his presser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that is interesting. That's probably really smart given his skillset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that might work for Herdman. Kosi might be able to learn RCB, unlike playing as a six which I think is too much responsibility with the first team to be learning that role. He hasn’t fully looked looked any of his roles yet. And we are low on healthy right centre backs… next man up! Makes for intrigue, at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kosi Thompson has been played in how many positions in the past two years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Kosi Thompson has been played in how many positions in the past two years?
    Not to mention the loan - playing for someone else as well! How long is left on his contract? He might make third string keeper if we keep trying. No doubt it’s not his fault but he’s a sort of symptom of our poor management all around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Definitely the two on opposite flanks as fullbacks. I saw enough of Bernie and Richie together to not want much more of that. But I’m not sure if Richie underneath Insinge is ideal either. So far, Petretta has looked best with Insigne. No doubt we’ll instantly be better with Richie playing anywhere but it seems like signing him involved the idea that Bernie’s best position was not right full back… which however I think it is. We don’t have the roster strength to not put Bernie, Insigne and Richie in the best places for them to succeed… not sure if that’s entirely possible.
    Would agree that Petretta and Insigne looked solid. But I think given time Richie would click with Insigne as well. At the moment. I agree with all that this team and Berna look best with him as wingback. And having Richie and Berna as wingbacks makes for two work horses who are both very dangerous going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Would agree that Petretta and Insigne looked solid. But I think given time Richie would click with Insigne as well. At the moment. I agree with all that this team and Berna look best with him as wingback. And having Richie and Berna as wingbacks makes for two work horses who are both very dangerous going forward.
    The thing that Insigne’s best mate, Criscito did and Petretta does (other than speaking Italian) is to tailor their movement to Insigne. They do what makes him most effective: they make him a threat to score. Richie’s most dangerous zone on the field is beyond where he needs to work best with Insigne. So, I think we’ve seen that Richie has become an adaptable player - he can play any position on both the right and left sides of the field… however, he’s most dangerous when he gets himself into the deepest zones (and he gets there, often on his own and from distance, with unusual ease). That’s not ideal for either Bernie or Insigne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone do any digging regarding the following from training today?

- Coello not present at time training was open to press (no injury news. Last time J-Mo reported an absence this way it was Like Singh who had left for a loan. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I always did think Coello had value while also not really fitting into Herdman's MF profile)
    - Charlie Staniland still trialing with squad
    - no sign of Hassan Ayari at training today during press time (he was present last week)

(Also to note Perruzza & Spicer back with team while Petretta & Berna training on their own, yikes! 4 TFCII players practicing with team. I assume short term loans will be announced ahead of Saturdays game but after Friday's TFCII match)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GMoneyTalks View Post
    Anyone do any digging regarding the following from training today?

- Coello not present at time training was open to press (no injury news. Last time J-Mo reported an absence this way it was Like Singh who had left for a loan. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I always did think Coello had value while also not really fitting into Herdman's MF profile)
    - Charlie Staniland still trialing with squad
    - no sign of Hassan Ayari at training today during press time (he was present last week)

(Also to note Perruzza & Spicer back with team while Petretta & Berna training on their own, yikes! 4 TFCII players practicing with team. I assume short term loans will be announced ahead of Saturdays game but after Friday's TFCII match)
    The absence of Coello and continued presence of Staniland is interesting. Could be nothing much as often these things are. But thinking of it, why would we keep Coello if we want to sign Staniland? Both are young 6s needing developing by playing first team minutes… and I think you’re right, Coello doesn’t quite fit… Herdman in his first club role seems to be favouring bringing in English players….

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody seen a Richie update lately? (Asking more for the Canada MNT tbh.)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope Petretta and Berna training on their own was just some type of load management stuff.

We are facing the worst team in the league at home this weekend. If there's any must win game to get back on track this is it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope Petretta and Berna training on their own was just some type of load management stuff.

We are facing the worst team in the league at home this weekend. If there's any must win game to get back on track this is it.
    i was at the open training thing and they have specialized individualized training plans for most the big players.

i'd imagine thins was taken to a new level with the injury crisis we've been in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Anybody seen a Richie update lately? (Asking more for the Canada MNT tbh.)
    The last I heard he won't start any sort of actual workload until next month and isn't expected back before June. But that was more than a week ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i was at the open training thing and they have specialized individualized training plans for most the big players.

i'd imagine thins was taken to a new level with the injury crisis we've been in.
    Yeah, having Petretta and Bernardeschi aside could've just meant they're both playing wingback this weekend, as we have a specific wingback coach as well now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last I heard he won't start any sort of actual workload until next month and isn't expected back before June. But that was more than a week ago.
    There is quite a bit of risk for TFC here.

Canada play the Netherlands Jun 6 and France June 9 (and of course Messi June 20). Peru and Chile too. Five of the 10-15 biggest games Canada has played in the last 50 years.

You know how Richie is going to feel about playing in those games ... if it's remotely possible...
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada play the Netherlands Jun 6 and France June 9 (and of course Messi June 20). Peru and Chile too. Five of the 10-15 biggest games Canada has played in the last 50 years.

You know how Richie is going to feel about playing in those games ... if it's remotely possible...
    He had surgery Mar 23rd and they said 3 months, taken literally is June 23rd.
    Hard to know, but yea for sure he will probably want to go if at all possible and if they call him up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, barring something miraculous he's going to miss the first two, I think, at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    The thing that Insigne’s best mate, Criscito did and Petretta does (other than speaking Italian) is to tailor their movement to Insigne. They do what makes him most effective: they make him a threat to score. Richie’s most dangerous zone on the field is beyond where he needs to work best with Insigne. So, I think we’ve seen that Richie has become an adaptable player - he can play any position on both the right and left sides of the field… however, he’s most dangerous when he gets himself into the deepest zones (and he gets there, often on his own and from distance, with unusual ease). That’s not ideal for either Bernie or Insigne.
    I can’t help but wonder if Berna as LWB, behind Insigne, might be the best option, with Petretta And Gomis sharing LCB duties. Then Richie would have licence to do his thing at RWB and the left would be pretty intimidating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I can’t help but wonder if Berna as LWB, behind Insigne, might be the best option, with Petretta And Gomis sharing LCB duties. Then Richie would have licence to do his thing at RWB and the left would be pretty intimidating.
    The all Italian left side - perhaps one day if and when this squad is actually healthy we can try it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The all Italian left side - perhaps one day if and when this squad is actually healthy we can try it out.
    He did swing over to that side in one game and they created a nice chance, because they know each other's style of play so well they could create supportive triangles with just two people. Two defenders couldn't really touch them. Kerr's first game back as I recall; they gave him that header chance and it was nicely saved.

It makes a lot of sense to me. Plus, I think Petretta's a better fullback/wide LCB than a wingback. He doesn't have the acceleration to track quicker wingers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, barring something miraculous he's going to miss the first two, I think, at least.
    I will wager a pint he plays in those games in Europe. He wants to be on the field against Argentina. He won’t be if he misses those games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will wager a pint he plays in those games in Europe. He wants to be on the field against Argentina. He won’t be if he misses those games.
    Nearly four weeks early? Don't think TFC will allow it, mate, not unless he has a miraculous mend. Come back too early on muscle repairs and he'll be out for another six or eight weeks before we know it.

He underwent the surgery on March 23 and the usual recovery time and rehab for a distal hamstring repair is three months, which puts him in in the last week of June at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trialists are TFC II guys officially.