Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting him after not getting any preseason really bit them in the ass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Laryea getting surgery on the hammy, out until June. Source: twitter
    Man, that is really a tough blow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why I was hesitant to sign him.. 3 months, with 1 month after that to get back into game shape. Means 50% of the season gone... TAM money wasted...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laryea getting surgery on the hammy, out until June. Source: twitter
    That's very disappointing. Hopefully it will be for the best in the long run and he'll be good to go for the rest of the season following his recovery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    This is why I was hesitant to sign him.. 3 months, with 1 month after that to get back into game shape. Means 50% of the season gone... TAM money wasted...
    I am glad you have admitted your mistake at signing our players, lol Just kidding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I am glad you have admitted your mistake at signing our players, lol Just kidding
    I have and I apologize for my insolence lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richie was and is a good signing. This is noise.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 major injuries in less than 5 matches into the season, with Richie Laryea and Nickseon Gomis, its either we are horrible at doing physical evaluations and/or our medical team/physio is very poor, i guess this year is a rebuild because i know currently its not looking that positive

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Richie was and is a good signing. This is noise.
    yep 3 months is bad but i'm guessing they are doing this to air on the side of caution. could probably play through w discomfort but a surgery gets him back for the 2nd half of the season and he'll be very fresh

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    yep 3 months is bad but i'm guessing they are doing this to air on the side of caution. could probably play through w discomfort but a surgery gets him back for the 2nd half of the season and he'll be very fresh
    Forcing people back to quickly from hammy injuries has been going on around this team since 2007

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to separate the decision from the outcome. Koevermans and Soteldo played about the same number of games. One was a good signing, one was not.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    2 major injuries in less than 5 matches into the season, with Richie Laryea and Nickseon Gomis, its either we are horrible at doing physical evaluations and/or our medical team/physio is very poor, i guess this year is a rebuild because i know currently its not looking that positive
    hilarious take

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about that, Gomis was a wrist injury, seems kind of fluke that this happened.
    Laryea we probably just shouldn't have pushed so much in the first game, give him a sub role since he had no pre-season and not sure what he was doing while over at forest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, Gomis has a wrist injury? Seems like more of a fluke than a hole in our training regime.

Laryea being out is unfortunate but I share ENSCO’s view. All else equal, it’s still nice to have him on the team and I think it works out long term.

They should have an outside consultant come in and study our injury history. Something feels off here after years and years of this stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out = 3 & Questionable=1

MIA – 6 Out 18 injury points
    TFC – 5 Out, 3 Questionable 18injury points
    CLT – 5 Out, 1 Questionable 16injury points
    SEA – 5 Out, 1 Questionable 16injury points
    DAL – 5 Out 15 injury points
    NE – 3 Out, 5 Questionable 14 injurypoints
    SKC – 3 Out, 3 Questionable 12injury points
    DC – 3 Out, 2 Questionable 11 injurypoints
    POR – 3 Out, 1 Questionable 10injury points
    RSL – 3 Out, 1 Questionable 10injury points
    CHI – 3 Out 9 injury points
    NYCFC – 3 Out 9 injury points
    PHI – 3 Out 9 injury points
    SJ – 3 Out 9 injury points
    HOU – 2 Out, 2 Questionable 8 injurypoints
    COL – 2 Out, 1 Questionable 7 injurypoints
    CIN – 2 Out 6 injury points
    NSH – 2 Out 6 injury points
    NYRB – 1 Out, 3 Questionable 6 injurypoints
    ORL – 1 Out, 2 Questionable 5 injurypoints
    STL – 1 Out, 2 Questionable 5 injurypoints
    AUS – 1 Out, 1 Questionable 4 injurypoints
    LAFC – 1 Out, 1 Questionable 4 injurypoints
    MTL – 1 Out, 1 Questionable 4 injurypoints
    CLB – 1 Out 3 injury points
    LAG – 1 Out 3 injury points
    VAN – 1 Out 3 injury points
    ATL – 0 Out 0 injury points
    MIN – 0 Out 0 injury points

as of Friday Mar 15, 2024 @ 9:36 PM on https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mlssoccer-com-injury-report

something seems really strange with the way we are tied for most injuries, something isnt quite normal with always being close to if not the top of the injury list in the league, but i hope they look at it and figure it out early so we can keep it in check, if not i am nervous it may bite us before we keep it contained

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this urge to blame someone……i just don’t know who.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I question Laryea's signing purely from an opportunity cost perspective (And will be delighted to be proven wrong if we pull a high performance striker out of the bag!) but yeah him being injured after the fact is not even slightly something that should make you change your mind on whether it was a good decision or not. Sometimes, things just happen, and you don't need to read anything into them. If we signed Mbappe on $400k a year and he broke his leg on his first training session that doesn't suddenly become a bad signing. Sometimes, things happen, they're random, and they just don't mean all that much in terms of what you can read into. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out = 3 & Questionable=1

MIA – 6 Out 18 injury points
    TFC – 5 Out, 3 Questionable 18injury points
    CLT – 5 Out, 1 Questionable 16injury points
    SEA – 5 Out, 1 Questionable 16injury points
    DAL – 5 Out 15 injury points
    NE – 3 Out, 5 Questionable 14 injurypoints
    SKC – 3 Out, 3 Questionable 12injury points
    DC – 3 Out, 2 Questionable 11 injurypoints
    POR – 3 Out, 1 Questionable 10injury points
    RSL – 3 Out, 1 Questionable 10injury points
    CHI – 3 Out 9 injury points
    NYCFC – 3 Out 9 injury points
    PHI – 3 Out 9 injury points
    SJ – 3 Out 9 injury points
    HOU – 2 Out, 2 Questionable 8 injurypoints
    COL – 2 Out, 1 Questionable 7 injurypoints
    CIN – 2 Out 6 injury points
    NSH – 2 Out 6 injury points
    NYRB – 1 Out, 3 Questionable 6 injurypoints
    ORL – 1 Out, 2 Questionable 5 injurypoints
    STL – 1 Out, 2 Questionable 5 injurypoints
    AUS – 1 Out, 1 Questionable 4 injurypoints
    LAFC – 1 Out, 1 Questionable 4 injurypoints
    MTL – 1 Out, 1 Questionable 4 injurypoints
    CLB – 1 Out 3 injury points
    LAG – 1 Out 3 injury points
    VAN – 1 Out 3 injury points
    ATL – 0 Out 0 injury points
    MIN – 0 Out 0 injury points

as of Friday Mar 15, 2024 @ 9:36 PM on https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mlssoccer-com-injury-report

something seems really strange with the way we are tied for most injuries, something isnt quite normal with always being close to if not the top of the injury list in the league, but i hope they look at it and figure it out early so we can keep it in check, if not i am nervous it may bite us before we keep it contained
    I'd be interested in seeing how closely this relates to average player age in the first team. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a strong correlation.

Also, that list is out of date at least a little; Atlanta's starting centre back is out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if Herdman has replaced TFC's medical team? I still seem to see some familiar faces. Not thinking of any one particular player, but this has been a problem for a long time with TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oranje boven View Post
    I have this urge to blame someone……i just don’t know who.
    I obviously have no idea what happened, but from what I understand, he tweaked it or something the game, then aggravated it in training. So that's either a failure of the medical staff to properly evaluate it, or a failure of the player to realize when he should shut things down and get it treated properly. Or both.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I obviously have no idea what happened, but from what I understand, he tweaked it or something the game, then aggravated it in training. So that's either a failure of the medical staff to properly evaluate it, or a failure of the player to realize when he should shut things down and get it treated properly. Or both.
    Or, maybe, there are some risks in life that cannot be managed, they can only be acknowledged.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Molinaro on the 3 questions for TFC podcast said yesterday that Laryea never returned to training (at least that he saw) after that first game he played in. So I'm guessing it happened during the game. Likely they should have only had him out there for 45 mins and maybe even that was a bit much with no pre-season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    Molinaro on the 3 questions for TFC podcast said yesterday that Laryea never returned to training (at least that he saw) after that first game he played in. So I'm guessing it happened during the game. Likely they should have only had him out there for 45 mins and maybe even that was a bit much with no pre-season.
    But he should be in shape, right? Like training with Forrest and the team being half way through their season.

I wonder if they gave him a fitness test coming in?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Does anyone know if Herdman has replaced TFC's medical team? I still seem to see some familiar faces. Not thinking of any one particular player, but this has been a problem for a long time with TFC.
    Not too sure if he has replaced anyone or not. I do notice (I think it's the physio guy) who treats the players on the field is the same one they brought in a few years ago, I believe during the pandemic. They had done an interview or an all for one video at that time, explaining his career and where he came from. If I remember correctly I think he had only worked in American football and this was his first time working with a soccer/football team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But he should be in shape, right? Like training with Forrest and the team being half way through their season.

I wonder if they gave him a fitness test coming in?
    Knowing what we know about TFC..do we actually think they gave him a fitness test? He hasn't had that bad of past injuries either I don't think. So my guess is they just tried to get the deal over the line and not worry about those things.

As for what he was doing over at forest we don't know. He was never dressed for any of the game days and he was likely training with the team but we don't know in what capacity. Did they give him any time off after he finished the season with Vancouver? It's got to be a lot for someone to finish at Vancouver, go back to Forest while they are in full swing of things, then start training with them only to be moved to Toronto all between November 5th to Feb 25th. If they gave him time off after finishing last season he likely wasn't up to full speed without having a proper pre-season. If they didn't give him time off, maybe it was exhaustion from trying to work hard and try his chances at breaking into the lineup for Forest? Doubtful we will ever know though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    . If I remember correctly I think he had only worked in American football and this was his first time working with a soccer/football team.
    Great, what could ever go wrong? And we wonder why Jozy and Seba insisted on their own physio guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIUC, not so sure Laryea spent a lot of time with NFFC post VWC. Understand he may have reported in person but a lot of indications he was not always at/with the club; training day in and out since.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great, what could ever go wrong? And we wonder why Jozy and Seba insisted on their own physio guy.
    I know right...

Also a small side note that I'm sure we are all aware of but until I wrote it down and looked it up just now to put into perspective. Laryea was with us in 2019 - 2022 so he had regular off season breaks. He went over to Forest in Jan 8, 2022 so that would have likely been his last "regular" off-season and rest. He was probably training harder there than he was while with us again to get into the team and he made a few appearances but wasn't favoured due to the management. 8 months later he came back to TFC during the season and then went on to play in the WC in November. He would have had 1 month off before pre-season with TFC and then since that went back to Forest for 1 month before heading to Vancouver in August. To stay in game shape that long seems pretty rough without a break or a bit of time off. Anyways just was putting it into perspective. Hope the surgery goes well and he recovers quickly for a bounce back in a few months as we will need his presence on the field.

Now let's go get a true no. 9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They brought in Robyn Gayle from the national team to be in charge of fitness.

They have the same therapists, led by Carmelo Lobue, that they've had for about a couple of seasons. Carmelo has been with them and the Argos for 17 years.

We've had the same rehab therapist, Marcelo Casal, for 16 years.

But avoiding injuries and balancing load is Gayle's job, I think.

People always want to look for an easy answer, which these days often amounts to "who do we blame?"

But the answer sometimes is just "bad luck".

EDIT: Also, Herdman brought in an entire fitness crew.

Dr. César Meylan | Director of Performance

Steven Haines | Head of Strength & Conditioning

Fabian Casal | Strength & Conditioning Coach

Jamie Bond | Strength & Conditioning Coach, Toronto FC II

Francesco Vescio | Performance Coach, TFC Academy

Kasia Mikolajczyk | Performance Nutritionist
    Last edited by jloome; 03-21-2024 at 09:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy insisting on his own guy was disastrous. He spent five years packing on muscle, became less and less mobile until he was basically static in the box.