RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 13 - TFC @ Nashville Wed May 15 8:38pm - Can you hear my Voice

this time?

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is available for this game vs injured or suspended?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also interesting to note TFCII play NYCFCII in NYC on Friday.

I wonder if there's any boil over from Saturday's game to that one.

Gotta assume with both Long & Berna out that there's a TFCII STL.

I wonder if we give Nate Edwards a look. He's looked real good as RWB with the II team.

Obv Franklin would most likely start.

I would assume the following assuming no further suspensions brought down by MLS ahead of Wednesday:

Johnson
    Petretta, Gomis, Rosted
    Spicer, Flores, Coello (rotation), Franklin
    Etienne, Kerr (rotation), Osorio

Bench: Gavran, Owusu, Insigne, Mailula, Longstaff, Thompson, Mabika, Edwards, Batiz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This from Davidson’s article:

Toronto centre back Kevin Long joins Bernardeschi in missing the Nashville game after picking up a caution that triggered a ban for yellow card accumulation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    This from Davidson’s article:

Toronto centre back Kevin Long joins Bernardeschi in missing the Nashville game after picking up a caution that triggered a ban for yellow card accumulation.
    Owusu was issued a post match red card so he is out as well.

This game is basically a wash at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post

This game is basically a wash at this point.
    If Owusu is out, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing up Charlie Sharp on a short termer. Obviously Kerr will start, but this is the kind of situation you need a guy like Sharp. You don't wanna risk Kerr going down hurt and suddenly your only option at striker is Osorio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    If Owusu is out, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing up Charlie Sharp on a short termer. Obviously Kerr will start, but this is the kind of situation you need a guy like Sharp. You don't wanna risk Kerr going down hurt and suddenly your only option at striker is Osorio.
    He's definitely going to have to call up someone.

Meanwhile Mailula on the bench like "hello I'm here"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do we see that - the game page only has the second yellow to Berne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Where do we see that - the game page only has the second yellow to Berne

https://twitter.com/MLSRefStats/stat...34140319199443

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing NYCFC supporters keep bringing up is why are we just hearing about the punch now? Seems like a reasonable question. Did we raise it with the league and they did nothing? Or investigate and decide there was no proof. Seems strange or complete BS there are no working cameras in the tunnel at Yankee Stadium. I'd like to know what the full story is there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    One thing NYCFC supporters keep bringing up is why are we just hearing about the punch now? Seems like a reasonable question. Did we raise it with the league and they did nothing? Or investigate and decide there was no proof. Seems strange or complete BS there are no working cameras in the tunnel at Yankee Stadium. I'd like to know what the full story is there.
    It's pretty easy to infer what happened.

The statement about the cameras pretty much tells you it was brought up privately with the league, and that official TFC were very unhappy about the camera being broken being the extent of the league's answer. Herdman and Osorio speaking about it together like that, that was no accident.

The immediate race to the “if Herdman is lying…” narrative is a sad commentary on a lot of things.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hadn’t realized until I just looked that Cushing, like Herdman, has his background mostly in the elite womens game. I am guessing that these two have known each other for a long time.

I have never liked “Bogert” (not the person, I don’t know him, I am talking about the persona) as I think he is a fraud… a transparent creation of the league office (he might as well be paid by them) trying to re-create Woj in the NBA.

Manning (and maybe even Pelley, and maybe the league) has a real problem on his hands. With that Bogert tweet, it is clear that the league office is seriously manhandling TFC here. Anyone who has followed Herdman knows he could go thermonuclear here. The guy has an extremely strong moral backbone. He doesn’t care about career risk in situations like this.

I also think JMR (if it is him) may have cause to pursue the league if he so chooses, but of course he will be told he is risking his career if he does so. He should probably care more than Herdman does about career risk, so I understand his silence.
    Last edited by ensco; Today at 08:44 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

The statement about the cameras pretty much tells you it was brought up privately with the league, and that official TFC were very unhappy about the camera being broken being the extent of the league's answer. Herdman and Osorio speaking about it together like that, that was no accident.

The immediate race to the “if Herdman is lying…” narrative is a sad commentary on a lot of things.
    Just to be clear, I'm not doubting them. Just wondering. If they weren't happy with the result, why hold onto it for two months? Were they planning on just letting it go, but this happened so they raised it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to be clear, I'm not doubting them. Just wondering. If they weren't happy with the result, why hold onto it for two months? Were they planning on just letting it go, but this happened so they raised it?
    Isn’t it as simple as this?….

They dealt with it through channels and got stuffed. NYCFC then bullied them again, and the refs were part of it. So they decided to go vigilante.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They dealt with it through channels and got stuffed. NYCFC then bullied them again, and the refs were part of it. So they decided to go vigilante.
    Yeah I suppose. I don't think I'd be so willing to let it slide at the time but that's probably the smarter way to handle it.

ed - I put my comments relating to this in the wrong thread. Sorry moderators! Maybe can be moved?
    Last edited by Canary10; Today at 10:14 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

prince red is only a 1 game ban, yeah?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a lowbrow conspiracy theorist.
    The suits in New York would like nothing better than to see the 3 Canadian teams sell up to some billionaires in the states and be done with us!
    As for this deal going on with NYC and TFC any protest would be overruled and buried by the suits.
    One other thing that the suits did was to persuade Manning that we were on a winner with Bradley who in fact was sent here to totally destroy our club.
    Which is what he almost did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the key right here. I think TFC were willing to let it go after the report but NYCFC came right out this game & kept crossing the line. No punches, but my guess is some type of discrimination. Either towards Owusu or SJ or both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by levyashin View Post
    The suits in New York would like nothing better than to see the 3 Canadian teams sell up to some billionaires in the states and be done with us!
    As for this deal going on with NYC and TFC any protest would be overruled and buried by the suits.
    One other thing that the suits did was to persuade Manning that we were on a winner with Bradley who in fact was sent here to totally destroy our club.
    Agreed. This is definitely the mechanism for takeovers. Devalue, buy it up & then takeover & build back up.

I feel like it's what TSN & Sportsnet are trying to do with OneSoccer & the CPL, as well.

Having Herdman at the helm is key. Could be bigger than we think & could explain the media animosity towards him. Can also explain Herdman pining for the role.

May even, dare I say it, unite Canadian teams fans if it becomes blatantly obvious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's definitely going to have to call up someone.

Meanwhile Mailula on the bench like "hello I'm here"
    Mailula's hold up play. 😬

I don't mind Sharpe as a short term call up, tbh. I don't think he is ready yet either but probably our best backup option, atm.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by levyashin View Post
    the league wants toronto, always did, always will.

there's no US market without a team that can add close to as much value. van and mtl, sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    the league wants toronto, always did, always will.

there's no US market without a team that can add close to as much value. van and mtl, sure.
    Most conspiracy theories ignore the maxim that when in doubt, the usual answer is stupidity. My additional would be that that stupidity is often routed in subconscious bias.

I think it would be an interesting statistical experiment to see how Montreal and Toronto's foul-to-yellow-card ratio compares with the rest of the league and football in general. I think American refs have trouble suppressing or ignoring unconscious biases about non-American teams.

But it's not a conspiracy, it's just the jingoistic, nationalistic culture in which they're raised.

Conversely, Canadians are taught to be self-effacing, generally mannered, which is our international rep. But as a consequence, a Canadian ref will go (again, my biased perspective) even harder on a Canadian team as a consequence, to be seen as fair.

This plays out in MLS in a lot of ways, but I think the one way it might be somewhat perceptible is in the foul-to-yellow ratio. Because I've watched football for 50 years in a bunch of countries and I've never seen a club so frequently have more yellows but fewer fouls than the other team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the upside, we're getting Nashville at low ebb. Zimmerman's injured and their defence is struggling badly. Without Fede and Long we're in deep shit, but at least we know they'll battle to the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A short piece by Davidson. more or less confirms this. An excerpt below:

“New York City FC coach Nick Cushing has repeated his denial of allegations that he punched a Toronto FC player, saying he is shocked and upset at the claim.…

Cushing denied the allegation on Saturday night and again Monday. He said NYCFC asked the league to investigate "the incident on Saturday evening," declining further comment.

Herdman stood by the allegation Monday, saying he had to believe his player's side of the story. And he said he is waiting to hear back from the league on any possible follow-up from what happened Saturday.

The Toronto coach said his club had requested video footage from the March 16 game. The footage received did not show the alleged incident, although Herdman said it showed "evidence of other things that were going on."

The league did not respond immediately to an email about the two NYCFC-TFC games.“

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Most conspiracy theories ignore the maxim that when in doubt, the usual answer is stupidity. My additional would be that that stupidity is often routed in subconscious bias.
    Interesting and strongly reasonable, especially your add. To me, ‘the usual answer’ if usual at all, which becomes the conspiracy in theory, is often not founded in reality, in part because human beings are often neither organized enough, cooperative enough, or smart enough to do such a thing, and also that, anyway, circumstances (to speak very generally about things that are complex and specific) do not allow/make likely a conspiracy to exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    A short piece by Davidson. more or less confirms this. An excerpt below:

“New York City FC coach Nick Cushing has repeated his denial of allegations that he punched a Toronto FC player, saying he is shocked and upset at the claim.…

Cushing denied the allegation on Saturday night and again Monday. He said NYCFC asked the league to investigate "the incident on Saturday evening," declining further comment.

Herdman stood by the allegation Monday, saying he had to believe his player's side of the story. And he said he is waiting to hear back from the league on any possible follow-up from what happened Saturday.

The Toronto coach said his club had requested video footage from the March 16 game. The footage received did not show the alleged incident, although Herdman said it showed "evidence of other things that were going on."

The league did not respond immediately to an email about the two NYCFC-TFC games.“
    NYCFC "asked" the league to investigate what happened Saturday? That's rich.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the upside, we're getting Nashville at low ebb. Zimmerman's injured and their defence is struggling badly. Without Fede and Long we're in deep shit, but at least we know they'll battle to the end.
    Yeah, they’re not playing well at the moment. Also, on the bright side might be that for Bernie and Long, the 5 matches in 14 day fixture congestion becomes 4 matches in 14 days… 3 in 14 if they don’t see the pitch in the Can Championship match. Given Bernie’s goal in the first leg, that should be quite possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the more unfortunate we are going to be without Owusu, Fede, Longstaff and Long.

Was a chance to get some points.

I feel this match could be ugly 3-0 Nashville or something. This whole punch scandal and the outcome of it on Herdmann and the team is weighing over the club right now and could either get used as fuel to motivate the team (ex. Morgan Reilly's suspension with the Leafs earlier this year that led to a 5 game win streak)or be a distraction on and off the field...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They dealt with it through channels and got stuffed. ....

Pretty much this - although I think it more likely the cameras were not there at all on that spot (2009 built stadium built by a team known to keep secrets internal.

Complaint
    Complaint raised
    Investigated
    No proof
    End of investigation

What I heard Saturday night from Oso was "this was why we were upset, we told them why, they reacted". I don't think the refs were in on anything here and neither do I think it is or is seen by TFC as a league conspiracy.

Afterwards? Somebody said or did something and TFC as a team said "Here's why this happened - we are moving on"

BTW, the "why wasn't this reported" thing assumes all internal investigations would be reported publicly - that is never the case and frankly naive to think so.
    Edit

And now we know a bit more -
    Last edited by OgtheDim; Today at 01:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYCFC "asked" the league to investigate what happened Saturday? That's rich.
    They're playing the victim when they know they're the guilty party.

Deflect. Deflect. Deflect.

Pure politics in sport.