Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per the MLS rules, it's still the same as last year. The three U22 slots are only unlocked if you have
    1)less than 3 dps
    2)3rd DP is a young Dap
    3)3rd DP is max tam

Otherwise it's max one U22

https://www.mlssoccer.com/about/rost...nd-regulations

U22 Initiative Roster Slots
    Number of Slots:

Each MLS team will have up to three U22 Initiative Slots that will each occupy one of the 20 existing Senior Roster Slots. The number of U22 Initiative Slots available to each team will be based on that team’s use of its third Designated Player slot.

If a Club has a vacant third Designated Player slot, the Club will have available three U22 Initiative Slots.

If a Club elects to sign a third Designated Player, the number of U22 Initiative Slots would be impacted in the following way:

If the third Designated Player is a Young Designated Player, the club will have all three U22 Initiative Slots.
    If the third Designated Player is age 24 or older, yet is at, or below, Maximum Targeted Allocation Money Amount ($1,683,750), the club will have all three U22 Initiative Slots.
    If the third Designated Player is age 24 or older and is above Maximum Targeted Allocation Money Amount ($1,683,750), the club will have one U22 Initiative Slot.
    Last edited by rydermike; 03-10-2024 at 10:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Per the MLS rules, it's still the same as last year. The three U22 slots are only unlocked if you have
    1)less than 3 dps
    2)3rd DP is a young Dap
    3)3rd DP is max tam

Otherwise it's max one U22

https://www.mlssoccer.com/about/rost...nd-regulations

I can always count on you to fact-check for me, rydermike.

Could've sworn they had multiple announcements that they were going to do this, but it appears it didn't happen in the end.

We could still get around it by buying his deal down with GAM or TAM, if we have enough, and assigning him to another slot, if we had one.

Then whoever we brought in could still be an overcharge at the u22 max charge of $200,000.

As long as we have enough GAM and a slot, he doesn't have to remain a u22-initiative player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if some of the owners refused because of Miami. Maybe they were worried Miami would get super overpowered with Messi+Suarez+Alba+3 U22s. It probably would've been easy for Miami to grab some Argentina U22s who would've jumped at the chance to play with their idol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I wonder if some of the owners refused because of Miami. Maybe they were worried Miami would get super overpowered with Messi+Suarez+Alba+3 U22s. It probably would've been easy for Miami to grab some Argentina U22s who would've jumped at the chance to play with their idol
    Yeah, that's a good point. Redondo was reportedly being eyed by Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, and yet he went to Miami. Doesn't happen without Messi being there, and you can see them stacking the deck pretty quickly.

Maybe the reason they put off talks until the fall (they have a committee producing a report) is that they'll be able to judge if Miami was truly overpowered by signing the legends; whether additional expensive talent is needed or leads to greater imbalance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    That and staying healthy. But starting to agree. Front office should go all in on getting a DP striker this summer
    maybe but i would say we've not been that healthy this year and still getting results.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll be honest, i can see why MLSE wouldn't have shelled out for a DP striker last year.

the team was so deficient that it very likely wouldn't have made much of a difference.

however the way the squad is stacking up this year a DP strike could be very valuable and push the team to the next level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Anyone know how much cap space we have left?
    I do not believe there is much; if any at all. Quick and dirty, I had TFC with a 2.675M cap space total between REALM, GAM and TAM. Since then, Laryea arrived with an implied hit of at least circa 900K. Also, there is then Flores, Long, Gomis and Longstaff to account for; whose salaries and any related transfer fees have yet to be confirmed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i'll be honest, i can see why MLSE wouldn't have shelled out for a DP striker last year.

the team was so deficient that it very likely wouldn't have made much of a difference.

however the way the squad is stacking up this year a DP strike could be very valuable and push the team to the next level.
    I am not sure what the appetite of the board to spend big bucks at this point, the board has a weird vibe these days with Ed Rogers flexing his muscles around, he seems to have his own agenda , as apparent he was the reason MLSE is not pursuing a WNBA team leaving Larry to do it on his own. Not completely sure what his long term play is, he seems to be power hungry, will be interesting to see how Keith Pelley finds it as the new President and CEO, having worked for both sides of the unholy alliance.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC are going the 3rd DP route then one of either Akinola or Mailula must move on; at the very least be loaned out. Herdman seems to have, or be making, time for Akinola. I suspect it is because he has a personal connect given he recruited the player by convincing him to declare for the CMNT instead of the USMNT. I think he has sidelined Mailula for the time being in order to provide Akinola with the best or most opportunity possible to assess and/or to showcase. Herdman seems to have implied in pressers that Mailula is not quite ready and that the SAPD is not MLS, yet the player seems to be making the bench over others. Yes, Mailula is not a CF, more a LorRCF/W, yet neither was Akinola to start. I rate Mailula. And I rate him over Akinola. Believe Mailula will eventually/soon see the pitch just not regularly until the Akinola question is settled or the start of match congestion in May is upon us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    If TFC are going the 3rd DP route then one of either Akinola or Mailula must move on; at the very least be loaned out. Herdman seems to have, or be making, time for Akinola. I suspect it is because he has a personal connect given he recruited the player by convincing him to declare for the CMNT instead of the USMNT. I think he has sidelined Mailula for the time being in order to provide Akinola with the best or most opportunity possible to assess and/or to showcase. Herdman seems to have implied in pressers that Mailula is not quite ready and that the SAPD is not MLS, yet the player seems to be making the bench over others. Yes, Mailula is not a CF, more a LorRCF/W, yet neither was Akinola to start. I rate Mailula. And I rate him over Akinola. Believe Mailula will eventually/soon see the pitch just not regularly until the Akinola question is settled or the start of match congestion in May is upon us.
    From the outside, I’d say this one is on Hernandez. Acquiring players when there is no manager and no scouting director is risky business especially when they’re very young and from leagues relatively unknown to him. As it turned out, we don’t especially need wingers who might be second forwards (or vice versa).

Another way of looking at this might be that Manning should not be appointing a GM when the manager and sporting director are still quite a way off to come. Of course, Hernandez must have felt some pressure to acquire players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    From the outside, I’d say this one is on Hernandez. Acquiring players when there is no manager and no scouting director is risky business especially when they’re very young and from leagues relatively unknown to him. As it turned out, we don’t especially need wingers who might be second forwards (or vice versa).

Another way of looking at this might be that Manning should not be appointing a GM when the manager and sporting director are still quite a way off to come. Of course, Hernandez must have felt some pressure to acquire players.
    I think it speaks to the disjointed actions and state of desperation the team was in last year plus JH’s lack of experience. Whatever, signings have been better this year so we can be thankful for that. But they have to keep the momentum going in that department otherwise we’ll continue to be held back by mistakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe on thing we could do would be to bring someone in on loan in that U22 spot - a young striker some club is looking to get minutes for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a proper U22 initiative striker could be just what the doctor ordered. A 19-21 yo south american player who requires a multi million dollar transfer could suit our needs.

Unfortunately that can't happen until the summer. If we use the U22 initiative properly it could be the answer. Right now we have to hope Kerr gets healthy and plays like a kid who is desperate to get a move to a better league. If he can work well with the reinvigorated Italians we may not be worrying quite as hard.

If Kerr actually is the piece we are missing we would be quite happy to be where we are without him. I do believe Kerr and Laryea make this team a better offensive unit. Hope Kerr proves me right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hearing that the Tacoma Defiance will likely sign Osaze De Rosario, a 22-year-old forward who had 18 goals and six assists over two season’s with the Canadian Premier League’s York United. He’s also Dwayne De Rosario’s son.

https://twitter.com/JeremiahOshan/st...DS3UK-tbw&s=19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    Hearing that the Tacoma Defiance will likely sign Osaze De Rosario, a 22-year-old forward who had 18 goals and six assists over two season’s with the Canadian Premier League’s York United. He’s also Dwayne De Rosario’s son.

https://twitter.com/JeremiahOshan/st...DS3UK-tbw&s=19
    Only seen him play a few times but I do wonder why we didn't try to keep him after the academy. He probably needs to go to USL or NextPro to get a higher intensity level to test him, but he clearly has the skill.

If he can score goals at the next level, I have to assume we're keeping an eye on him. IIRC, he had a deal in the Ukrainian Premier League that he had to quash due to the war, which is why he's even in the CPL to begin with.

But who knows. Maybe it'll be like Jordan Hamilton, with all the physical tools clearly there, but the work ethic and/or field intelligence not being quite good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blessing just posted a farewell to his brother Mailula

https://www.reddit.com/r/tfc/s/v6aWG5q4FY

News coming soon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sources: A key MLS roster rule change is in the works & is expected to be implemented this summer.

MLS to decouple Designated Player & U-22 initiative rules. All teams get 3 u22s no matter what. Opens room for more investment

Not 100% done, but expected

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status...ppXC26Lfw&s=19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blessing rumour… to Dynamo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    Sources: A key MLS roster rule change is in the works & is expected to be implemented this summer.

MLS to decouple Designated Player & U-22 initiative rules. All teams get 3 u22s no matter what. Opens room for more investment

Not 100% done, but expected

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status...ppXC26Lfw&s=19

If accurate, massive for TFC! Perfect timing. Thank you IMCF/Messi & Friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sources: Houston Dynamo finalizing a deal to acquire midfielder Latif Blessing in a trade with Toronto FC.

Blessing, 27, has made 187 MLS apps, mostly with LAFC, where he won two Shields & one MLS Cup. Made just 7 appearances for TFC. Fresh start in HOU. theathletic.com/live-blogs/pre…

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status...yka9ffuAA&s=19

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While we await the arrival of GAM for Blessing…. Apropos of nothing… just based on what is happening at striker…

I am going to drive my stake into the ground on a speculation, that we discussed a few months ago:

Lucas Cavallini will be here soon.

This will be controversial , but he is what we need, Prince but bigger and badder… and Herdman and Osorio are very tight with him.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-13-2024 at 03:12 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Figured Blessing would be traded. Probably just for minimum GAM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn’t be surprised if we have to eat a decent amount of Blessings salary still.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Figured Blessing would be traded. Probably just for minimum GAM.
    Likely best for him to move on, he just did not fit into what Herdman has going on here. A fresh start is best.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trading Blessing also opens up an international roster spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    While we await the arrival of GAM for Blessing…. Apropos of nothing… just based on what is happening at striker…

I am going to drive my stake into the ground on a speculation, that we discussed a few months ago:

This will be controversial , but he is what we need, Prince but bigger and badder… and Herdman and Osorio are very tight with him.
    I hope we can do better. Motivation and consistency have only gone downwards as his career progressed. We need a starting striker who we know can fill the net, not a “kinda, sorta, maybe” project.

Let’s sit tight and create the cap room to get that guy and stop burning the furniture to heat the house.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

On non-xAM? Sure, why not

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we need a DP striker badly. been banging this drum for a while but watching the start to our season it's very very obvious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Herdman hasn't shown any inclination to bring in these random low level CMNT guys. Richie was brought back because he has history here and has been a great MLS player for 4+ years. Hernandez could of traded for Liam Fraser and Kamal Miller if being Canadian was the only thing that mattered to Herdman. Instead it seems he is more reliant on his England contacts.

Hell, if you are insistent that this striker needs to be Canadian, I'd rather take a shot on Theo Bair or Ike Ugbo.