Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    So was this really the right long-term move or the move that gets made by a guy who knows if this season doesn’t work out he’s looking for a new job?
    Yep. I think this whole season is a prover for Pelley and the board as to whether Manning stays and whether Hernandez has prospects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    My main complaint is this is just another project for this team to take on and we have so many projects on this team.

Mailula, Owusu, Coello, Longstaff, Gomis, Servania, Thompson...

I would much rather this have been more of a sure thing signing like Long or Deybi Flores.
    Given the lack of the further budget, guys like Long and Flores are pretty much the best we can do until contracts run out. One more signing to come in the summer of around that level?

The intrigue is mostly: how much can Herdman and his staff get out of what probably should not be a playoff team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main complaint is this is just another project for this team to take on and we have so many projects on this team.

Mailula, Owusu, Coello, Longstaff, Gomis, Servania, Thompson...
    I don't think he is a project though. He is what he is now; a speedy inconsistent player that will probably be a back up in the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yep. I think this whole season is a prover for Pelley and the board as to whether Manning stays and whether Hernandez has prospects.
    I hope you’re right. That would be more aware of what’s going on than we’ve probably ever seen the board re: TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I don't think he is a project though. He is what he is now; a speedy inconsistent player that will probably be a back up in the long run.
    Columbus used him as an inverted forward the season he scored nine, and most of them were by beating the back line to balls, not long shooting. A few Crew fans have said that as long as he was being fed chances by Zelarayan in transition he was fine. When he has to create his own shot, he can't hit a barn door.

If he's used as a threat from outside the box, he'll probably be terrible. If he's used for transitional speed, to unsettle the backline or get on the back post, he'll be more effective.

He's like an inconsistent Fafa Picault. (A player we probably also could have had during the offseason).
    Last edited by jloome; 04-24-2024 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I hope you’re right. That would be more aware of what’s going on than we’ve probably ever seen the board re: TFC.
    Everything Molinaro has reported about them being on a short budget leash is basically the same stuff I was getting from my sources last year and this; they blew it on the Italians, so the gloves are on until they prove they can handle the responsibility and money properly.

But Hernandez isn't operating in a vacuum. Sean Rubio has a lot of experience now and did pretty well for us (Omar notwithstanding) on his first go around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbus used him as an inverted forward the season he scored nine, and most of them were by beating the back line to balls, not long shooting. A few Crew fans have said that as long as he was being fed chances by Zelarayan in transition he was fine. When he has to create his own shot, he can't hit a barn door.

If he's used as a threat from outside the box, he'll probably be terrible. If he's used for transitional speed, to unsettle the backline or get on the back post, he'll be more effective.
    Seems about right. And Herdman is sure to use him in that way, I’d think.

Poz, our Zelarayan is in UAE at the moment, helas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything Molinaro has reported about them being on a short budget leash is basically the same stuff I was getting from my sources last year and this; they blew it on the Italians, so the gloves are on until they prove they can handle the responsibility and money properly.

But Hernandez isn't operating in a vacuum. Sean Rubio has a lot of experience now and did pretty well for us (Omar notwithstanding) on his first go around.
    Yeah, although the jury is still out on Hernandez, I’d be suprised if Rubio, him and Herdman together were going to be a problem.

The problem is the short budget leash. And what happens after that? Is it better for a not very good roster to make the playoffs or not? And if not, to what extent does the board clean house? Has the board ever done such a thing before?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest issue these days for MLSE is board dynamic as Edward Rogers had decided to flex his muscles, he seems to not have much time for the secondary properties.
    He has basically blocked MLSE from pursuing a WNBA team despite the success of the game at Scotiabank Arena last year and all the buzz being created around the league these days. I really believe that after all the money that was spend on the Italians with very little return on it that the powers that be are roping things in on the Reds. The Apple deal has a great effect on the overall exposure for TFC from a local standpoint and engagement has been effected not in the best way because of it. Spending all this money is starting to prove to be not the greatest investment considering the return, like how much money the Apple deal is really bringing in for each team.

The president and ceo position sat empty for almost two years, that says a lot too.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    The biggest issue these days for MLSE is board dynamic as Edward Rogers had decided to flex his muscles, he seems to not have much time for the secondary properties.
    He has basically blocked MLSE from pursuing a WNBA team despite the success of the game at Scotiabank Arena last year and all the buzz being created around the league these days. I really believe that after all the money that was spend on the Italians with very little return on it that the powers that be are roping things in on the Reds. The Apple deal has a great effect on the overall exposure for TFC from a local standpoint and engagement has been effected not in the best way because of it. Spending all this money is starting to prove to be not the greatest investment considering the return, like how much money the Apple deal is really bringing in for each team.

The president and ceo position sat empty for almost two years, that says a lot too.
    Yeah, they're probably looking at the metrics of the league generally, as well, which shows not a lot of room for revenue growth, as well as profits that in no way relate to the overall club valuations. It seems like a bit of a franchise bubble at this point.

My fear is they see the high watermark for values and decide to sell and move the club before the absence of room for growth prompts real change in the league's objectives and governance. Inevitably, the franchise model, if handled carefully, can both allow them to create a free-agent based "super league" AND crap out by overspending and overestimating the global allure/revenue potential of a handful of iconic players.

Without the sort of multi-billion TV deals the Premier League and Spain have that's not going to happen. And I'm not sure that outset risk is anything American companies want to take on when it's still built on the foundation of a country where Football is fifth or sixth most-popular in terms of pro sports.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I guess either core player means something different to Hernandez or that core player fell through and this was back up plan #1.
    Apparently the latter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he's being looked at as a left forward/midfielder not a #9 but I'm trying to see why we should use up the roster spot.

What boxes does he tick?

I'm also VERY leery about the decision to not pursue a higher end line leader based on the last 3 games of Prince's output. Seen that sort of thinking come back to bite teams way too often - Akinola comes to mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think he's being looked at as a left forward/midfielder not a #9 but I'm trying to see why we should use up the roster spot.

What boxes does he tick?

I'm also VERY leery about the decision to not pursue a higher end line leader based on the last 3 games of Prince's output. Seen that sort of thinking come back to bite teams way too often - Akinola comes to mind.
    100% agree. A number nine remains, by far, our biggest need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if he's going to play more left and Insigne goes more center.

Or he's just a backup for Insigne. I guess we really don't have a proper one for him (thought it'd be Mailula but who knows there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a core starter for the next few years to Derrick Etienne…when will these guys learn to stop talking until the deal is done?

Given how much Atlanta is absorbing on this deal, it’s clear that this deal was out there for anyone willing to take him on. Seems more a case of keeping their ears open around the league as opposed to a guy that they targeted or had on their shortlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im certain Jason Hernandez has learned something from this experience, keep your mouth shut until the signing is completed, this move reeks of desperation for a former Crew player, we might as well of signed a former Impact player

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

What boxes does he tick?

doubt a solid dp 9 is available at this time.

will be summer or in winter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if he's going to play more left and Insigne goes more center.

Or he's just a backup for Insigne. I guess we really don't have a proper one for him (thought it'd be Mailula but who knows there)
    Apparently they see Etienne as a left wing first and then attacking midfield and left wingback. Filling in for Insigne and then for Osorio when he’s with Canada this summer. At the moment, Osorio playing Insigne’s position is less than ideal. We need to get the best out of our best players… managing Lorenzo’s minutes without a suitable back up is not really possible, and our captain should also be playing his best position. And we’re not entirely flush with wingbacks. Gomis was pretty poor playing there last night.

Given how easy the deal is on our cap, I like it. And Etienne’s numbers overall are actually not bad - 1 in 5 goals and assists combined in MLS, and 1 in 3 goals and assists combined with Haiti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Apparently they see Etienne as a left wing first and then attacking midfield and left wingback. Filling in for Insigne and then for Osorio when he’s with Canada this summer. At the moment, Osorio playing Insigne’s position is less than ideal. We need to get the best out of our best players… managing Lorenzo’s minutes without a suitable back up is not really possible, and our captain should also be playing his best position. And we’re not entirely flush with wingbacks. Gomis was pretty poor playing there last night.

Given how easy the deal is on our cap, I like it. And Etienne’s numbers overall are actually not bad - 1 in 5 goals and assists combined in MLS, and 1 in 3 goals and assists combined with Haiti.
    From a cost perspective I agree. He's basically free this season and incredibly low cap hit next.
    Osorio definitely looked way better last night playing on the right side more.

Hopefully Ted Lasso Herdmann can get him back up and motivated.
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 04-25-2024 at 08:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigh... Russel-Rowe scores the winner in the first leg of the CCC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well sure but was he any good at fullback? I don't think so...

Last thing a team like ours needs is a player that can only score a lot of goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I saw that. Speaking of judgement, that was a crazy call. But then our academy has been a maze of bad judgment calls. It seems Herdman won’t stand for that… a good sign, let’s hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you bob bradley the gift that keeps on giving

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    You can thank our academy staff for that one. They didn’t even want to give him a real shot at TFC2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The truly galling part is we passed on him TWICE. First by not offering him a TFC II deal before college, which I believe was Ali, and then when he left college, as we still held his rights and had to pass on him before Columbus could take him.

Bob didn't see talent or value in him, in Shaffelburg or in McNaughton. I'm still staggered that someone with his resume can hold player judgement worse than the average armchair fan, many of whom were agog at his personnel decisions. I literally don't get it, don't understand the mindset that can't see breakaway speed and good technique, combined with relatively young ages, and put two-and-two together on value in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can thank our academy staff for that one. They didn’t even want to give him a real shot at TFC2
    bob is the one that said no....he said we have to many young strikers on our roster already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First by not offering him a TFC II deal before college,

maybe he wanted the college route at the time ,and he didnt have great college career,but tfc still owned his rights but bobs excuse was that we have to many young strikers on the roster,that is kinda funny now that perruzza and ayo are probs gone
    Last edited by reggie; 04-25-2024 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the CSA will hire him to manage Canada so I can finally see how Jonathan David and Cyle Larin do at fullback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not really one to read into socials but according to Twitter Ayo not currently following TFC on Instagram (unclear if he did in the past).

Are we about to ship him out? (Or use our buyout)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not really one to read into socials but according to Twitter Ayo not currently following TFC on Instagram (unclear if he did in the past).

Are we about to ship him out? (Or use our buyout)
    It would make sense to buy him out now so he could go sign to a CPL team and because we get an additional buyout in July.