Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we knew Osorio agreed to alter his contract. So since originally he signed to 2025 with a 2026 option, guess looks like agreed to slightly lower his salary in exchanged to guarantee the option year, seeing as it says contract expires in 26 with no option

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I am now confused as to why they made Ayo a TAM player then.
    Only thing I can think of would be they are considering buying him out and adding two different U22s and maybe a bought-out U22 will still count for the slot being used(It's MLS, they have a million weird rules so who knows) ? Would also make the not using the buyout on Diomande make sense because Ayo is a larger overall salary than him.

But still that move would still only make sense if you do bring in other U22s, because if you don't then it'd make more sense to ride out Ayo on 200k cap hit and buyout Diomande when you're spending the same dollars. So my guess is that they have their eyes on a couple U22s and if they can sign them, they'll buyout Ayo and if they can't, they'll reallocate the U22 to Ayo (if allowed), ride it out and buyout Diomande
    Last edited by rydermike; 05-02-2024 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am now confused as to why they made Ayo a TAM player then.
    Teams are responsible to pay the salary over the budget charge for U-22 players. Using TAM on Akinola would have saved MLSE over $570k (~$770k salary minus $200k budget charge). Another sign of the tightening purse strings.

Couple more notes for me:

Petretta and Rosted on guaranteed TAM deals until 2025 are the last vestiges of Bob Bradley’s awful roster building. I’m sure TFC would love to move off those contracts.

Osorio previously had an option for 2026, looks like they guaranteed it as part of the renegotiation Hernandez mentioned.

Will be interesting to see what we do with Johnson this offseason. He’s a better GK than Gavran and seems like an important locker room presence, but maybe they will opt for cap flexibility and just let him walk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Will be interesting to see what we do with Johnson this offseason. He’s a better GK than Gavran and seems like an important locker room presence, but maybe they will opt for cap flexibility and just let him walk.
    Impossible to say until MLS decides how they want to proceed in 2025. Lots of pressure from powerful sources to bring in more high end talent and open up the wallets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hah, so much for transparency! Even with this info, much is still mystifying.

That somewhat aside, the two sore thumbs are Ayo and Diomande. We know that Dio is (in theory) looking for another club and is still on our cap hit until he signs somewhere else. Given that his work is very unlikely to be worth anything much he may choose to take the money and then officially retire.

Does anyone know what has happened to Ayo? Unless I’m wrong, he hasn’t been on our bench in two matches and has not been reported injured.

The context being that we have not used our buyouts for some time, not since our purse strings were tightened, and Hernandez mentioned specifically that a buyout would not be used on Diomande.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    no, he could be an u22 player meaning his budget charge would have been like 200k.

i'd imagine a buyout or mutual termination is coming for ayo, and they will use the u22 spots in the summer.
    Right. Thank you.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean Johnson out of contract after this year. Decision to be made on that one I would say.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything looks like it's geared towards being a contender next season.

Will have 2 u22 dp spots, a full dp spot and a ton of gam to improve a very likely top 7 team.

More if they manage to flip rosted/ servania and sell mailula.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything looks like it's geared towards being a contender next season.

Will have 2 u22 dp spots, a full dp spot and a ton of gam to improve a very likely top 7 team.

More if they manage to flip rosted/ servania and sell mailula.
    And Insigne. Can't see the point in him coming back for 6 months and zero chance they re-sign him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    And Insigne. Can't see the point in him coming back for 6 months and zero chance they re-sign him.
    the year he'd have 6 months is 2026, not next year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the year he'd have 6 months is 2026, not next year
    Yes, likely under contract until the second week of June/start of WC26. After that? Who knows? Situational options a plenty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They showed Laryea on the jumbotron at the Leafs game last night. He was smiling, happy. He was sitting in one of the boxes, so unable to provide any fitness update.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-03-2024 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    They showed Laryea on the jumbotron at the Leafs game last night. He was smiling, happy. He was sitting in one of the boxes, so unable to provide any fitness update.
    He was there with Lorenzo. Looks like they had a great time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

insigne working out with team today at training again.

laryea working out by himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

insigne working out with team today at training again.

laryea working out by himself.
    Insigne return is coming at a great time as May is an intensive month but we have lots of home matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine they had this conversation with Ayo before the season began. And yet he never even looked to be working out there from what I saw. Even if you can't show results like scoring, at least show you're committed. Just didn't see that with him. Very disappointing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I imagine they had this conversation with Ayo before the season began. And yet he never even looked to be working out there from what I saw. Even if you can't show results like scoring, at least show you're committed. Just didn't see that with him. Very disappointing.
    Herman gave him the chance, the #9 shirt and plenty of starts early this season. It's on Ayo.

Btw didn't know JMR was injured - that's unfortunate.

Laryea sounds like he is progressing well.

We now have another match May 8th against League 1 Quebec team in Montreal. I personally feel like Berna, Long, SJ, etc shouldn't even travel for that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, JMR came off hurt last week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah, I think for a few guys they made it clear this could be last-chance hotel. They have them come on in short stints and try to make inroads. Hasn’t worked for Ayo.

I wonder if Kosi is on a similar track. But he’s starting to settle a bit and is still only 21. I actually have liked him as a sub late in games when we’re defending. He’s a good physical presence.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they should just buyout ayo.

will open up a good amount of cap space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they should just buyout ayo.

will open up a good amount of cap space.
    They certainly should buyout Ayo but don’t seem authorized to use the buyout mechanism at all. One would think it would have happened by now if it could.

Let’s hope it’s not another Diomande situation. Unlike Diomande, I can see Ayo catching on somewhere but at nothing like his current salary which is apx 3/4 of a CPL total roster budget. And if he stays in the league we’re certainly paying most of his salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I wonder if Kosi is on a similar track. But he’s starting to settle a bit and is still only 21. I actually have liked him as a sub late in games when we’re defending. He’s a good physical presence.
    I expect him to get a chance at RCB at least until O’Neil’s return in June/July. CDN Championship, and late sub or even starting in MLS when Herdman feels he can handle a particular opposition. He is exceptionally quick and Herdman wants his outside CBs to run.

He’s a good match to work with Franklin as the wing back on his right as well.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 05-03-2024 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I expect him to get a chance at RCB at least until O’Neil’s return in June/July. CDN Championship, and late sub or even starting in MLS when Herdman feels he can handle a particular opposition. He is exceptionally quick and Herdman wants his outside CBs to run.

He’s a good match to work with Franklin as the wing back on his right as well.
    I like the idea of him as a CB. Nothing else he’s played so far (forward, winger, midfielder, or fullback) has really stood out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My view is unchanged. Richie will be at Copa and may well return to action… in Rotterdam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah, I think for a few guys they made it clear this could be last-chance hotel. They have them come on in short stints and try to make inroads. Hasn’t worked for Ayo.

Kosi has been featuring almost every game.

I think Herdman's comments on young players not featuring is more for Mabika, Mailula & even down at the TFCII level with Stefanovic.

What I am starting to notice is Herdman likes his corner CBs to also have a MF/WB profile (Gomis played some WB against Simcoe) & CB to also play the corner roles (Long against Simcoe).

This allows all players to get a similar amount of rotation & game time for the non-core guys so they're not just "training" guys.

Spicer, Franklin, JMR, Thompson, etc are all going to get playing time as their profiles allow them to (up until recently I even had Franklin as someone who could eventually be loaned out but Berna's help improving Franklin's game is allowing him to fit more in Herdman's tactics). There is also the possibility that if any of these guys can land a decent amount of GAM during windows

There's up to 30 guys on the roster. Eventually with everyone healthy there's going to be 7+ guys who don't make the game day roster. Those guys will probably get a lot of those TFCII back & forth loans.

I think TFC want ALL senior roster + supplemental 21-24 guys to be guys who regularly feature on the roster or they'll be moved elsewhere. I also think TFC probably plans to keep their senior roster at 18 players & only use spots 19-20 if needed during the summer window (selling a supplemental player if they need GAM to add to senior roster)

Ideally senior 1-18 & two supplemental guys should make up game day rosters. I think that's what TFC is working towards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sources: Toronto FC and forward Ayo Akinola have agreed to a mutual contract termination.

Akinola, 24, has only 5 apps this year. The once-highly-touted forward has 4 caps with Canada.

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status...fmxc2plgQ&s=19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow didn't even need a buyout. Must be signing for a CPL team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mutual termination would mean he doesn't get his salary right? Shocked he would agree to that. He's not getting anything close to that