Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    An outside the box thought on who might go, especially if the player brought in is a forward - DeAndre Kerr.
    I think he's the prime candidate. I could be wrong, but nobody would take Ayo at this point. He's just not coming back from that injury.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    I think he's the prime candidate. I could be wrong, but nobody would take Ayo at this point. He's just not coming back from that injury.
    Could be Ayo. According to Molinaro we didn't use our buyout on Diomande so it remains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Could be Ayo. According to Molinaro we didn't use our buyout on Diomande so it remains.
    ??
    How did he clear waivers with a year left on his deal if we didn't buy him out?

Unless he agreed mutual termination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outgoing sounds like maybe it’s a loan. Peruzza? Ayo? Mailula?

Also wonder if the incoming is another Striker? Too far along before Prince offered new hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    Outgoing sounds like maybe it’s a loan. Peruzza? Ayo? Mailula?

Also wonder if the incoming is another Striker? Too far along before Prince offered new hope.
    I suspect it's a speedy mid who can play wide or inside. Kobi isn't good enough in two directions. Spicer's a good young player but pretty raw for MLS, Insigne has injury issues and the rest of the WB crew past Richie is basically Petretta and JMR. And it's a key position for him.

At the same time, we look slow in the middle. But if he brings in a hole player or fast two-way mid, that suggests either Longstaff or Oso is sitting.

Could be a central defender, as O'Neil's concussion issues might be necessitating it. He clearly doesn't have a ton of confidence in Rosted or Mabika.

Tough to say, though. Most likely a wide two-way player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I suspect it's a speedy mid who can play wide or inside. Kobi isn't good enough in two directions. Spicer's a good young player but pretty raw for MLS, Insigne has injury issues and the rest of the WB crew past Richie is basically Petretta and JMR. And it's a key position for him.

At the same time, we look slow in the middle. But if he brings in a hole player or fast two-way mid, that suggests either Longstaff or Oso is sitting.

Could be a central defender, as O'Neil's concussion issues might be necessitating it. He clearly doesn't have a ton of confidence in Rosted or Mabika.

Tough to say, though. Most likely a wide two-way player.
    I agree, two-way-mid with speed or a CB is the most pressing need at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So someone is leaving today, and possibly a new signing coming in? That seems to be what various twitter messages are saying that I've been trying to piece together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    So someone is leaving today, and possibly a new signing coming in? That seems to be what various twitter messages are saying that I've been trying to piece together.
    Before the deadline tomorrow.

So wait till Wednesday for the news that the deals fell through

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andrew Gutman just came back from a hammie after getting transferred to Chicago this year. He's missed most of the season so far, so Chicago may have moved on and be happy with his replacement. Certainly a Herdman-type marauding wingback.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

??
    How did he clear waivers with a year left on his deal if we didn't buy him out?

Unless he agreed mutual termination.
    His contract ends this fall so they chose to waive and eat the salary but the waiving cleared international roster spot. Apparently you can waive him, clear his spot, still pay him his $585K for 2024, but that $585K still counts against our cap. If they bought him out then it would free the cap space too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    His contract ends this fall so they chose to waive and eat the salary but the waiving cleared international roster spot. Apparently you can waive him, clear his spot, still pay him his $585K for 2024, but that $585K still counts against our cap. If they bought him out then it would free the cap space too.
    Yeah, I think this was the last info I heard. Which became “buyout” on this board. I don’t think anything from the club or reporters (as few of them as there are) mentioned a buyout.

In TFC budget news, Molinaro mentioned this in his free newsletter:

“Sources close to the club have told TFC Republic that Hernandez is dealing with a tight budget from MLSE when it comes to signing players and that they are unwilling to give him the extra money he could use to spend on recruitments. The same sources said that this is expected to be the case for the foreseeable future and that if Toronto is going to bolster its roster, it would likely have to be done either via an intra-league trade, a free transfer or some other mechanism with little to no cost involved.”

This confirms what JLoome and others have heard directly… or speculated based on Hernandez’s pressers and the recent lack of our usual ways of the past ten years. It also explains our signings since around the time Hernandez took over.

edit: It might explain Hernandez as well. Promoting from within rather than spending on a new Sporting Director.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 04-22-2024 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Richie confirmed as the 3rd DP. What, in the fuck is that? Do people like that little signing now? I hate it even more now knowing this. Instead of being patient with it... Forget it, the singing is done..

I am excited to see who is this player were bringing in either today or tomorrow...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    So Richie confirmed as the 3rd DP. What, in the fuck is that? Do people like that little signing now? I hate it even more now knowing this. Instead of being patient with it... Forget it, the singing is done..

I am excited to see who is this player were bringing in either today or tomorrow...
    Only for this year apparently. Next year is he is not a DP and that slot opens up. Have no idea how they structured that contract, maybe front loading him a lot of money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    One of the reasons why I'm against getting rid of Hernandez is any GM brought in is likely to want to change that consistency of what the strategic approach is. Unlike in Europe where the Sporting director decides approach and then the manager has to fit that, most MLS teams are whatever the manager and GM like to play. Like, I highly doubt in 5-8 years when Nancy is not at CBus anymore that Bez will keep the same style.
    Yeah, good point. We had Bob as our only ever Sporting Director, so, a bogus kind of title - he was what is traditionally a GM.

I guess I’m for Hernandez if he can make good signings. Which at first he didn’t seem to and now, with Herdman here, and with what seems like a bit more professional scouting department, he has.

But this is a big shift in the model. It’s less “analytics based” and more “the cupboard is bare, sort it out without additional budget”. The money he has to sign anyone, and the more meagre mechanisms that come from the lack of budget are in effect totally different from what Bob and the others going back to 2014 had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Only for this year apparently. Next year is he is not a DP and that slot opens up. Have no idea how they structured that contract, maybe front loading him a lot of money?
    The transfer fee has to be included in the overall value under DP rules, that's the only reason. He's well under the TAM cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I assume they made Richie a DP so they could just pay off the 750k transfer fee upfront to get it off the cap instead of paying say 250k for each of the next 3 years, which would likely make Richie too expensive to buy down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a feeling this player is coming from within MLS. Someone like a Keaton Parks from NYCFC would be ideal for the midfield. Maybe Jackson Yueill is getting sick of being in San Jose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Hernandez saying they are looking to do 1 in. 1 out before the deadline
    https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/sta...cxyyvffeQ&s=19
    I think most people missed when Herdman stated in Friday's presser that NE was playing with 3 DPs while TFC was playing with 1. Hernandez comments today confirms my suspicions although I'm surprised there's no TAM/GAM buydown for Oso. I really, really want to know how his contract was re-structured. I assume there's some type of post-retirement agreement in there as he's taking a 50% pay cut. I would assume at least 3 years added to his deal. So here's here guaranteed until 2028? Maybe some deal to join the FO after his playing days are done?

note: the incoming player IS NOT a striker. If anyone here read the TFC Republic article with direct Jason Hernandez quotes, you'll see that's the case. You can also filter down to get an approximate idea of what kind of player it is. It also sounds really close to being done and may be dependent on the player, not the club they're coming from. I'm speculating it's a loan with option to buy player.
    also to note: Dio WILL NOT be bought out. I think this is a game Jason's playing with Diomande. I had prior suspicions that Dio would wait for the buyout to sign with Stabaek, but I think Jason basically said today "you first. we're not buying you out".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he'll only be a DP this season. Next season sounds like he'll be bought down. I think Jason's using DP tag as a lever to bring in TAM/GAM guys who are under contract for many years but not getting the minutes in higher leagues. We'll probably see more of these kinds of moves each year until TFC is stacked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think outgoing is MLS. Incoming is overseas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a few people quote this board on Twitter/X when I was saying he hadn't been bought out yet.

This is a clear game of chicken. Dio wants to play but is assuming he'll get bought out so he's waiting until the buyout to sign. Jason's slamming back saying you'll need to wait until December. So ball is now in Dio's court. Does he sit on his butt and wait for the contract to end or does he want to play now?

If we're thinking he wants the free money first, does that also lower his stock come January 2025 in finding new work or is it better to forego the remaining salary owed and sign now so he can build up his value again in time for 2025. I'm sure there's teams that will pay him a decent amount now on a 1 year deal even if it's a 50% haircut. I think Jason's going to win the game of chicken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coello, Franklin, (outside shot) Petretta.
    Someone taking a shot on Mailula? LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly I need to start hitting the "reply with quote" option instead of just reply. My message board game is clearly rusty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bogert published a piece today with some names being discussed around MLS.

Some brief notes

- Xavier Arreaga from Seattle and Dave Romney from NER are two players being shopped within MLS.

- Griffin Yow and Danny Wilson could be returning to MLS.

- Nottingham Forrest prospect Alex Mighten has interest from MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from davidson
    Hernandez said he would be similar to Honduran midfielder Deybi Flores who signed in January — "a guy at a good age, of a good pedigree, that we imagine to be with us for several years, someone who's going to be a core starter for us week in and week out and really impact winning."

so someone 26- 27 playing in euro lower leagues.probs another mid any hondurans.herdman mentioned a honduran a few weeks ago?
    Last edited by reggie; 04-22-2024 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Bogert published a piece today with some names being discussed around MLS.

Some brief notes

- Xavier Arreaga from Seattle and Dave Romney from NER are two players being shopped within MLS.

- Griffin Yow and Danny Wilson could be returning to MLS.

- Nottingham Forrest prospect Alex Mighten has interest from MLS.
    Danny Wilson fits our profile, lots of time in England, lots of time here. Mighten fits need but we probably don't have the cash to pay him.

Arreaga or Romney would seem mostly likely. We have a working relationship of sorts with New England, so I can see us getting Romney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danny Wilson fits our profile, lots of time in England, lots of time here. Mighten fits need but we probably don't have the cash to pay him.

Arreaga or Romney would seem mostly likely. We have a working relationship of sorts with New England, so I can see us getting Romney.
    i dont think these guys would impact the team that much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    from davidson
    Hernandez said he would be similar to Honduran midfielder Deybi Flores who signed in January — "a guy at a good age, of a good pedigree, that we imagine to be with us for several years, someone who's going to be a core starter for us week in and week out and really impact winning."

so someone 26- 27 playing in euro lower leagues.probs another mid any hondurans.herdman mentioned a honduran a few weeks ago?
    Yeah I was thinking a Honduran international. Weren’t we supposedly scouting one in the last international break?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    Yeah I was thinking a Honduran international. Weren’t we supposedly scouting one in the last international break?
    The name most of us concluded was Kervin Arriaga from Minnesota United.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GMoneyTalks View Post
    Clearly I need to start hitting the "reply with quote" option instead of just reply. My message board game is clearly rusty.
    Yeh, well this sort of forum is a dying breed.....

That Diomande information makes sense - thanks.

If had to be pinned down, midfield would be my guess. Herdman kept talking about how the CB's in camp included who we played on Saturday. Can't afford an upgrade at striker. Midfield is a noted issue (not just by us on here).