Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC player 2024 in-season roster discussion

For discussion of trades, rumours, and roster construction.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we only have one senior spot open (not sure about that). If that's the case our biggest need is for a decent striker. Yes, midfield is a need but we need goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what shape we’ll have if Spicer plays at LWB with Richie on the right? Where will Bernie likely play?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I wonder what shape we’ll have if Spicer plays at LWB with Richie on the right? Where will Bernie likely play?
    I'd try him as striker...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Probably plays more centrally would be my guess. Richie playing wider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Osorio is gonna be deployed as more of a winger, we are definitely gonna need another midfielder. Coello is decent, but I don't think he is a nailed on, every game type of starter. And having Kosi Thompson as your first choice backup in that position just isn't gonna cut it at this level. Maybe they are waiting on Servania, but June is a long ways off still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    If Osorio is gonna be deployed as more of a winger, we are definitely gonna need another midfielder. Coello is decent, but I don't think he is a nailed on, every game type of starter. And having Kosi Thompson as your first choice backup in that position just isn't gonna cut it at this level. Maybe they are waiting on Servania, but June is a long ways off still.
    He didn't really play as a winger though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    He didn't really play as a winger though
    More of an attacker then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He logged the most distance of anyone on the field. I think he was still playing in a box-to-box capacity regardless of his average position or where he lined up,

My to-buy list would include a capable backup for Flores. I fear what we look like without that sort of presence on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have one more imminent signing, by which I think they meant today or tomorrow, sort of deal.

Then they have one more player after that, basically, that they think is likely to sign, and they're at the cap. A Flores backup/all around midfielder would be nice, along with a striker. No idea on what positions though.

I know they're always scouting now, and have people looking at individual leagues, not just regions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We have one more imminent signing, by which I think they meant today or tomorrow, sort of deal.

Then they have one more player after that, basically, that they think is likely to sign, and they're at the cap. A Flores backup/all around midfielder would be nice, along with a striker. No idea on what positions though.

I know they're always scouting now, and have people looking at individual leagues, not just regions.
    imo we need one of these to be a striker.

we haven't hit on a striker signing in maybe 8-9 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do wonder if that imminent signing is Ythallo. Long is 33, O'Neill is a free agent to be and Petretta isn't great. Developing cheap and homegrown defenders is crucial in MLS.

Still got an open u-22 spot sitting there too. Maybe we can finally hit on one of those.

And thank you as always for being the only person in TFC land who actually attempts to get us transfer news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jloome. Could the imminent signing be Longstaff? Was there anything suggesting it didn’t work out with us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're at 29 on the roster now, so if we do bring in two guys someone has to go out. Easy enough, most likely Singh back on loan to the CPL

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    We're at 29 on the roster now, so if we do bring in two guys someone has to go out. Easy enough, most likely Singh back on loan to the CPL
    perruzza too, if a striker comes in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mbongue would be an easy guy to loan to the CPL as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    Thanks Jloome. Could the imminent signing be Longstaff? Was there anything suggesting it didn’t work out with us?
    I don't really get details most of the time and I don't really push that. They're working really hard and it's nice enough that they take some time out to keep us generally informed over and above the normal media stuff.

But if they start releasing specifics, they put negotiations at risk or change the playing field for them, at the least.

There are a lot of angles people don't really consider when it comes to signings, such as the fact that because of its overall size and value, MLSE gets highballed on pretty much every offer or contract they have to deal with. So the less they put out relative to their level of interest, the better positioned they are to constrain costs and develop a more competitive environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly if we somehow bagged a 10+ goal striker who has a solid presence up front, not even elite just decent, I think we could be a play off team in a league set up like MLS. We still have big issues in other areas and with squad depth that will hurt us, but man a real presence up front would have gone such a long way last week - we could have stolen a win, even, as we really did well to get the ball into dangerous areas, just didn't have a good outlet to turn that into chances

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really get details most of the time and I don't really push that. They're working really hard and it's nice enough that they take some time out to keep us generally informed over and above the normal media stuff.

But if they start releasing specifics, they put negotiations at risk or change the playing field for them, at the least.

There are a lot of angles people don't really consider when it comes to signings, such as the fact that because of its overall size and value, MLSE gets highballed on pretty much every offer or contract they have to deal with. So the less they put out relative to their level of interest, the better positioned they are to constrain costs and develop a more competitive environment.
    All good. I assumed they wouldn’t get that detailed with you. It was more a question to the group based on what you said.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

someone on twitter said they saw matty longstaff near the wrexham ground the other day.

presmably the trial did not work out then (if true)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Honestly if we somehow bagged a 10+ goal striker who has a solid presence up front, not even elite just decent, I think we could be a play off team in a league set up like MLS. We still have big issues in other areas and with squad depth that will hurt us, but man a real presence up front would have gone such a long way last week - we could have stolen a win, even, as we really did well to get the ball into dangerous areas, just didn't have a good outlet to turn that into chances
    Agreed we’d be much improved. I still think to really push this team to the top we need someone, in some position, that is elite at putting the ball in the net. I am sick of the “goal scoring by committee” approach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed we’d be much improved. I still think to really push this team to the top we need someone, in some position, that is elite at putting the ball in the net. I am sick of the “goal scoring by committee” approach.
    we’ve been saying this consistently since the arrival of the Italians. The so-called committee does not score goals… so much for that. We’ll see how Kerr does when he’s back on the pitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is going on with Cash is bizarre. Why isn’t he being loaned back out in South Africa? Can anyone explain?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    What is going on with Cash is bizarre. Why isn’t he being loaned back out in South Africa? Can anyone explain?
    Probably a bit early for that? Maybe in the summer they explore loans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Because they signed a dud and it looks bad that every new special mechanism signing they've done over the past 2 seasons are 100% bust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They probably wanted to give Cash a try in pre-season. South Africa's transfer window is closed now, so have to wait until the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this roster is so flawed still...they have no midfield depth.oso and flores will miss the atl game in march maybe more and some in the summer and you can add richie to that also

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    this roster is so flawed still...they have no midfield depth.oso and flores will miss the atl game in march maybe more and some in the summer and you can add richie to that also
    At least ATL will be missing almada that game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Servania back in the summer, blessing, Thompson.

Also 2 more signings coming 1 could easily be a cm.