0 Thread(s)

There’s only one team with 0 GA.
    TFC as the last to concede - nobody would have taken that bet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    4 points from the first two road games. How many did we have all last season?
    Four road points total in 2023.

Zero wins, 4 draws, 13 losses on the road last year.

3 of the first 4 road games last year were draws, and we went into the 4th - the opener at DC- with the lead in stoppage time. Our seeming “grittiness” on the road was, it is hard to remember, getting some positive attention early last year.

This is fun… and … it's a long season.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-04-2024 at 07:02 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really enjoyed yesterday’s game, first time in a long time. Loving the new additions to the team. Great saves by Johnson and Petretta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Four road points total in 2023.

Zero wins, 4 draws, 13 losses on the road last year.

3 of the first 4 road games last year were draws, and we went into the 4th - the opener at DC- with the lead in stoppage time. Our seeming “grittiness” on the road was, it is hard to remember, getting some positive attention early last year.

This is fun… and … it's a long season.
    In fairness, while we scooped some road points early last year, they never played like this. Watching guys hustle to track back when the other team is countering, making last ditch tackles, coming over to help their teammates when the opponent’s best player has the ball… none of that happened with Bradley.

I recall many lamenting how terrible we looked despite picking up points. It was an observation that certainly proved true later.

As you said, it’s a long year and we’re far from the finished product. But there seems to be something to look forward to at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Fucking good team. Ayo is washed, I hate to say it because I was so high on him forever.
    This was the only negative for me, he doesn't look like a professional footballer. The commentators covered for him but that play in the last minute was downright embarrassing. He didn't run to the corner to waste time, he did that because even with a yard or two head start and being fresh vs a defence in the 95th minute he knew he didn't have the pace to make it to a one on one with the goalkeeper. It was shocking. I don't know if he's carrying too much muscle or its the injuries but he just doesn't look like he belongs at this level whatsoever any more. I hope he can find a way to improve but it really looks bad right now. I do think we made a huge mistake in our transfer dealings not getting a striker it's by far our biggest need.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see the win. Enjoyed watching the starting lineup play. Scary thing is we have nothing off the bench and it made things tense. I can’t see us scraping by with nothing coming off the bench. Ayo is not it and neither is Short Shorts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post game locker room shot:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    This was the only negative for me, he doesn't look like a professional footballer. The commentators covered for him but that play in the last minute was downright embarrassing. He didn't run to the corner to waste time, he did that because even with a yard or two head start and being fresh vs a defence in the 95th minute he knew he didn't have the pace to make it to a one on one with the goalkeeper. It was shocking. I don't know if he's carrying too much muscle or its the injuries but he just doesn't look like he belongs at this level whatsoever any more. I hope he can find a way to improve but it really looks bad right now. I do think we made a huge mistake in our transfer dealings not getting a striker it's by far our biggest need.
    This was exactly my thought. Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still cannot get over that save.

I mean, in terms of caliber of save, that was I think the finest stop we have ever seen from any TFC keeper.

Then to have it happen in stoppage time, nursing a lead, on the road…

I am still shaking my head, 6 hours later.
    That was a hard shot at around knee level, and somehow he got it up over the bar with one hand? I don't know how he did that. Most volleyball players couldn't have done that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't blame Ayo for going to the corner in the end. Mature players would do that while other would try to score a goal. Either is fine.

However it does look like ever since Jozy started mentoring Ayo, Ayo has tried to replicate himself into a mini younger Jozy and it hasn't paid off at all. Ayo got thicker like Jozy but slower. Instead of making direct runs like he used to, he plays with his back to goal and fails to do it decently, he also lost all confidence in his shooting and decision making. I do think most of this comes down to the fact he's 15 lbs of muscle overweight which is a lot of mass.

I'll give him few more games under Herdman since even Ayo himself understands his downward spiral, but it ain't looking good at all.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 03-04-2024 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting 11 all played well. Johnson, Flores, Long, O'Neil and the new kid Gomis stood on their head. Really nice to see the intensity. Akinola and Thompson are not MLS quality. We need to get a glimpse of Blessing and Mailula to see what they have. Berna played great, but was gassed defending at the end. Should have been put up top when Owusu was subbed off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Starting 11 all played well. Johnson, Flores, Long, O'Neil and the new kid Gomis stood on their head. Really nice to see the intensity. Akinola and Thompson are not MLS quality. We need to get a glimpse of Blessing and Mailula to see what they have. Berna played great, but was gassed defending at the end. Should have been put up top when Owusu was subbed off.
    Thompson is still very young.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    With how Petretta did so decent playing wing back it makes me think that Berna could maybe get some time as the #9...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    And I'm not even sure it was offside. Borderline at most.
    My thoughts as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    With how Petretta did so decent playing wing back it makes me think that Berna could maybe get some time as the #9...
    Fede's work rate yesterday was unmatched other than Flores and maybe Osorio, I'd say.

He was all over the pitch, making runs, switching flanks, tracking back. Rarely got caught high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    This was exactly my thought. Lol.
    It's muscle weight. Look at that picture above, his biceps are weightlifter size. They're almost the same thickness as some of the nearby heads for fuck's sake.

Maybe they don't want to discourage him from building strength because he had a complete ACL tear and year long rehab.

But his play style depends somewhat on quickness and he's built like an NFL linebacker, not a footballer.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Is it controversial to say that in terms of ability (maybe not success), Sean Johnson is the best keeper in TFC history? Julio Cesar doesn't count.
    For sure. Stefan Frei ultimately became one of the best in MLS, but he wasn't that yet when he was with the Reds.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Thompson is still very young.
    Same age as new defender Gomis. At 21 you either have what it takes and when given the opportunity to play showcase it, or you do not. He does not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

But his play style depends somewhat on quickness and he's built like an NFL linebacker, not a footballer.
    If he was built like an NFL linebacker, I wouldn't mind - but the guy doesn't have NFL/CFL/College ball agility either - he can't out leap/muscle people in the air or drive past them using a decent swim move.

As you said, he's built like a weightlifter - that doesn't work anywhere but the gym.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I trust Herdman on this. Kerr is about to get these minutes, and Ayo will have to score 10 or 15 goals for TFC 2 or something to get back in the mix.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Do you mean the goal itself?

As I think the guys on Apple TV, a few minutes later, were saying it was actually an earlier pass that was offside.
    Ah, I see. There wasn't a replay of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    "Team of the Matchday."

Doesn't have much of a ring to it, unfortunately.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind that both Cincy and NE played midweek on CCC. So they probably were a bit more tired than TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I trust Herdman on this. Kerr is about to get these minutes, and Ayo will have to score 10 or 15 goals for TFC 2 or something to get back in the mix.
    Kerr and Owusu is who I would run with for striker. Rotate the two

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Ah, I see. There wasn't a replay of that.
    There actually was but it was very quick and well after the play. Not impressed with the Apple broadcast…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    There actually was but it was very quick and well after the play. Not impressed with the Apple broadcast…
    Oh, than yeah, I missed it.