Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

biggest difference to me year over year on top all things mentioned - are that we clearly drop of a cliff when it comes to depth. Difference is Bob would refuse to adjust the talent on the field to his vision or philosophy and so would try to shoehorn and manage these kids into situations or things they weren't good at or would just become lost and deer in the headlights. That's when we'd fall off in prior years when we'd have a strong first half and we'd just unravel it in after 75min.

Herdman and his staff at least today... were able to bring on the younger guys/depth pieces and still subtly adjust the game plan to their strengths/abilities. Man managing the players at his disposal vs. just trying to ram them into the same scheme and hope they can grit it out.

Lads were dialed in today. awesome result, good foundation to build on. No knee slaps or real anger from the italians- good start. Insigne almost sniped that first free kick, which is the closest he's been in a FK in a year lol. Happy with the result, LFG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    No need to single out players, its just too early.
    100%.

Anyone who chooses to lodge any complaints against any player is doing so under their own choosing.

All things considered, we did FANTASTIC today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Loved Flores. Boy have we missed having an actual destroyer out there. Pretty pleased with Coello, and Long was also great. The backline felt way more organized than at any point last year.

A shutout on the road and against the shield winners is a fantastic step.
    Probably worth mentioning that we were singing Bob's praises early on for his apparent work on the defensive side. So it might be a bit early, but there are positive signs, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    This teams looks so good with a centre midfielder and Coello on the bench. (Still need a striker though)

Insigne on the pitch for 60 mins a match cannot be a long term solution
    Not sure if this was already widely known, but Caldwell said Insigne felt something after coming back from the preseason trip. So it should get better, but Herdman warned not to expect 90 minutes from him this season, which is tragic from a contract value perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flores played so well today... The man is a workhorse and someone im sure the fans are going to love.

Owusu also had a very good game. Kept pace and was involved alot in the plays around the net. When he was taken off the pace at the front got worse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Probably worth mentioning that we were singing Bob's praises early on for his apparent work on the defensive side. So it might be a bit early, but there are positive signs, for sure.

Not sure if this was already widely known, but Caldwell said Insigne felt something after coming back from the preseason trip. So it should get better, but Herdman warned not to expect 90 minutes from him this season, which is tragic from a contract value perspective.
    We didnt keep a clean sheet vs the best team last year early on. Wasn't the first game of the year where out defense collapsed vs DC and benteke bodied rosted and scored a header?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we've been crying out for a flores like destroyer for years.

just amazing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything this year will be based on no injuries (touch wood). Great game, saw some pride in the patch again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    we've been crying out for a flores like destroyer for years.

just amazing.
    yeah, a few people have mentioned some errant passing, but I really don't care. He's a wrecker as an anchor. Covers huge ground, is fast, shoulders guys off with ease. He owned Acosta for 80% of that match.

It also puts another boot to ignoring speciality players and trying to pigeonhole guys where they don't belong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good effort today and very pleased with the result. Way too early to judge but the backline was mostly organized and Flores looked good.
    Last edited by benito; 02-25-2024 at 05:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne is going to be man managed this year.
    Watch Herdmanns interview before this game.

They did research on how he was used at Napoli. Plan is to try and start him every game but he will never finish it.

Also unlikely he will play on away turf at all as it flares up this injury that keeps coming.

Anyway very happy with that result. If we can get a few more home wins and away draws this season we will be in much better shape.
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 02-25-2024 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    We didnt keep a clean sheet vs the best team last year early on. Wasn't the first game of the year where out defense collapsed vs DC and benteke bodied rosted and scored a header?
    There was a stretch of games in March/April where they kept four clean sheets in six or seven games. Conceded just once in some other games early on. We thought Bob had them sorted, LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In our last eight road games last year, we gave up 25 goals and scored zero. Possibly an all-time futility record for a pro team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a stretch of games in March/April where they kept four clean sheets in six or seven games. Conceded just once in some other games early on. We thought Bob had them sorted, LOL.
    I do remember this but I don't know. Today's taking a point the road against one of the best teams in the league is way better then losing 3-2 against a low / Midtable DC united.

Take it game by game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I do remember this but I don't know. Today's taking a point the road against one of the best teams in the league is way better then losing 3-2 against a low / Midtable DC united.

Take it game by game
    I'll be curious to see if the MLSsoccer analysts can get through a discussion of this game without being Bob apologists at least once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently on paper Flores passing stats weren’t that bad either;
    offense
    90% passing - 58/63, 6/6 long passes. 80 touches, Disposessed - once

defense
    4/5 tackles won, 3 interceptions, 8 recoveries, 5/8(63%) duels won, 1 foul committed

90 minutes first game with new club, shut down their Main creative outlet. Positive stuff from him that’s for sure

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like others said, Flores was great. His positioning was consistently excellent.

Defence was good - O'Neill moving forward was a surprise but i guess you can do that when you have a couple of defensive minded mids. (the more I watch this team the more I wish we had sat MB in 2022 like many of us were calling for)

We still need a CF. Owosu was decent and challenged and took up space. Akinola didn't win a single header and often lost the ball when he did get it.

postgame presser from Herdman

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postg...bruary-25-2024

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are the worst games to watch as a home supporter. Glad we put the Cinci support through that. Good start!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good start indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only real conclusion we can draw from that game is that Ayo is indeed washed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That game was so much better than what i expected, Flores looks a great pick up. I’m also happy I get to watch Richie being Richie but I wonder how we will score this year..

Lucio is a far better/more useful player than LI and Berna, what a waste of DP slots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    That game was so much better than what i expected, Flores looks a great pick up. I’m also happy I get to watch Richie being Richie but I wonder how we will score this year..

Lucio is a far better/more useful player than LI and Berna, what a waste of DP slots
    We had a few good chances, one of which we blocked off their goal line. But scoring looks tough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very happy with that performance. Long will do well in this league and Flores is everything I've ever wanted in a 6

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post

maybe will be true, but i'd like to see insigne have a good striker to play with.

acosta had like 4 better strikers on their roster last year and this than insigne and berna have played with their entire time here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t want to read too much into it but I certainly came away from today thinking that was a positive outcome.

Obvious things aside: getting an away point against a good team, rare away points vs our form last year… it was good to see dynamic movement off the ball and guys busting their ass to get back on the counter. Never happened with Bradley here.

Flores is a huge upgrade vs. Last year’s version of Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y23 season performance/results seem to all have really nose dived after the FIFA International Break in June followed by Concacaf Gold Cup in early July, followed shortly there after by The Leagues Cup and obviously ignited with the Athletic article drop at the end of May. About 60 days of adversity, getting battered into trauma.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-25-2024 at 10:38 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mls/article...at-cincinnati/

Interesting that Osorio has the logos of the supporters groups inside his armband. He wants us to know that he's one of us, he started as a kid watching in the stands...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/mls/article...at-cincinnati/

Interesting that Osorio has the logos of the supporters groups inside his armband. He wants us to know that he's one of us, he started as a kid watching in the stands...
    Fucking awesome.

Also, do we know if Richie was just cramping, or was it something more serious?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Fucking awesome.

Also, do we know if Richie was just cramping, or was it something more serious?
    I believe he said "cramps" as he was walking off the pitch. Then again, he also said the early penalty decision was "inside" the box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exciting stuff. I’ve wanted a ten since Guevara left (with enormous respect to Pozuelo) but I’ll take a six instead. Nice, somehow, that they’re both Honduran and wear the same number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The only real conclusion we can draw from that game is that Ayo is indeed washed.
    I agree with this, time to release him. Also Marshall-Rutti and Thompson are not MLS quality, they look scared out there. Have to give Mailula and Blessing some playing time as wing/halves they are better than than those 2.