Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    7,895
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think they're pretty well agreed that the roster we have is shit, so I imagine he'll get at least this window and one more to show he can make more of them.
    Not sure with our bad contracts that much can really be done in two windows unless we magically recruit great low cost players that went under the radar elsewhere. No evidence of that happening often and when it does, we usually trade that player for GAM or and old man who can't score.

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North York ON
    Posts
    1,206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Herdman inherited a dumpster fire (Not just our shit squad, go back and read that famous Athletic article, that was the locker room condition) and was able to make it respectable. The wheels have come off but we have players out, a bad team and an even worse squad.

    We've not seen *anything* that should put his job in jeopardy. We aren't even close to thinking about that conversation. I think he's done above what I'd expect of him given what he inherited, and needs to be given a chance with something workable. Pep isn't turning this team into a winning one in half a season. Let's see how he does with an FO that wants to sign players that can help us win as the primary focus, that should be the very least.

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    17,349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Not sure with our bad contracts that much can really be done in two windows unless we magically recruit great low cost players that went under the radar elsewhere. No evidence of that happening often and when it does, we usually trade that player for GAM or and old man who can't score.
    I think we can shed eight by contract this year (maybe seven, not sure) and then we have a couple of pieces still young and with enough potential to move.

    That should be more than enough wiggle room to be competitive. If he's not at the start of next season, they'll probably weigh up whether it's the tactics or the new players gelling. But I don't think his Canada rep gets him more than a year. If we reach the mid point next year and we're in trouble and uncompetitive, they'll look elsewhere. That also accounts for the fact that plenty of new presidents are going to want to do some house cleaning.

  4. #34
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think we can shed eight by contract this year (maybe seven, not sure) and then we have a couple of pieces still young and with enough potential to move.

    That should be more than enough wiggle room to be competitive. If he's not at the start of next season, they'll probably weigh up whether it's the tactics or the new players gelling. But I don't think his Canada rep gets him more than a year. If we reach the mid point next year and we're in trouble and uncompetitive, they'll look elsewhere. That also accounts for the fact that plenty of new presidents are going to want to do some house cleaning.
    rosted and petretta could be moved after this year imo.

    1 year left, could get a multi year deal elsewhere on a free, would potentially cost us a bit but not that much.

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,029
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    rosted and petretta could be moved after this year imo.

    1 year left, could get a multi year deal elsewhere on a free, would potentially cost us a bit but not that much.
    Rosted 100% needs to go.
    Petretta is more useful but not at his salary. Maybe at half of what he makes.

    When you look at Kevin Long and Longstaffs salaries those two in comparison are brutally bad.

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    17,349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    rosted and petretta could be moved after this year imo.

    1 year left, could get a multi year deal elsewhere on a free, would potentially cost us a bit but not that much.
    Possibly. There are probably ways to get another team to eat that, particularly in the European Christmas break, as that's when teams slipping get desperate for re-inforcements and they both have Champions League experience.

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    17,349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Rosted 100% needs to go.
    Petretta is more useful but not at his salary. Maybe at half of what he makes.

    When you look at Kevin Long and Longstaffs salaries those two in comparison are brutally bad.
    Long is underpaid, even relative to his age.

    Petretta looked more competent as a defensive midfielder than a wide player, and he was actually not bad in our last two games, one of the only players who could claim that.

    But he still looks like he doesn't really give a toss, particularly defending the back post. Football brain being decent is okay, but the heart has to be there too, and I'm not seeing that.

    Rosted has the heart, he just doesn't have the speed of read. He's always a split second late, which for a step-up defender in a speedy league is just suicide.

    I think from his physique and resume they thought he was a line leader, sit back and control the box type. Really, someone should've switched him to DM years ago, as he's a wrecker in small spaces and can deliver an okay long pass. Probably too late for that now, and certainly too much time and risk for us relative to his cost.

    Again, both players are testament to how poor our scouting network has been. And they're all still there; all of our "scouts" are regional part-timers who have been there for several years now. Mailula and Owusu were both allegedly scouted, as was Soteldo.

    None of these "scouts" -- A very loosely defined term -- seemed to do any work on establishing mentality or reliability. It was just based on technical potential and hot streaks suggesting they'd be "better" in a lesser league like MLS.

    I suggested to Bill that he had to get a better team around him, new proper scouting and rehab. But he erred on the side of "not rocking the boat" constantly, and always spoke up their "value" despite their performance. In the end, the only thing he addressed was vacant roles, by hiring Rubio. Even the soft-tissue rehab specialist wasn't a consideration until half the team went down injured again this year.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-11-2024 at 12:09 PM.

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Before this I though Herdman and Hernandez would have all of 2025 but seems like Pelley doesnt wait around...the team probably has to be in a playoff spot in the first half of 2025 for them to continue

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,029
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yea I truly believe this team is very mentally fragile and at least 50% of the roster is so shell shocked, that there is no return for them on TFC. They have to be moved on both for their sake and TFC's.

    This team is toast until we have a huge roster turnover and some new guys come in without the PTSD of the past 2 years.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •