Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The broadcasters for Apple have been announced

https://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2024/...r-this-season/

In the studio, they have permanently replaced the New Jersey puckhead who knew nothing about the game & couldn't ask a question outside of the script with the effervescent Irish dude - he at least might sound energized by a goal.

The rest of the studio crew remains.

Nobody real special on the roster of play by play & analysts

The Spanish feed remains more interesting
    Now I’m curios what’s the New Jersey puck head’s name and what’s the Irish guys name if you know , want to see if it’s the same two guys I’m thinking about .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Now I’m curios what’s the New Jersey puck head’s name and what’s the Irish guys name if you know , want to see if it’s the same two guys I’m thinking about .
    The Irish guy is Kevin Egan (Kevin Patrick in WWE) and the hockey guy is Liam McHugh.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    These Apple guys are dumb thinking we'd enjoy other teams commentary guys every week. Every one of these guys were the main guys for one team. Of course we're not hoping to get them for one match and then somebody with a totally different call the next week. It just sounds amateur. We cant even get used to one type of sub par style.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 02-19-2024 at 09:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The effervescent Irish dude is a former wrestling announcer who, having watched a couple of his games last year, understands diddy fuck all about football. Does sound VERY European though.
    Probably aged out to be standing amongst that group, but I would have loved seeing Ray Hudson in that mix sprinkling his isms to them time to time…

Messi pass: "Drops a pint of beer into the shot glass at the other end of the bar in a different village!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From that article
    ....plus the addition of business class during the playoffs
    Oh look at this major player in the sports industry expecting its match officials to fly coach scheduled like they were players circa 2019.

This league sometimes....I get the NFL has basically made its officials part of the wallpaper but you can't do that in this sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSsoccer.com picks us dead last.

If we don't finish there, I wonder how they'll square that with their belief that Bob Bradley is a genius.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSsoccer.com picks us dead last.

If we don't finish there, I wonder how they'll square that with their belief that Bob Bradley is a genius.
    A couple of things to that

The recency bias on that site and among those pundits is gigantic - I look at those list of people picking & ALL of them move from "a bad team" to you win 3 games & you are a "serious playoff team that I would not be surprised goes far"

&

I am coming to the conclusion that most of that Athletic piece from last season was driven by either
    The Bradleys directly
    or
    Somebody who wanted to rid that management team of 'those meddlesome priests so did that leaking without MB & BB's awareness.

We might be last & a lot of it is due to the mess BB created. Not one of those people has indicated they recognise that.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-18-2024 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

⬆⬆⬆From ManU to MinU!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great, so we’ll be watching a group of disorganized, overwhelmed officials throwing a wrench into the start of the season.

When is MLS going to realize they are their own worst enemy when it comes to this stuff?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the union, Apparently in the negotiations, Pro compared the officials importance to that of camera operators.
    And they offered larger % pay increases to longer serving officials & very little to the newer ones.

Look, officials are often wrong & have a tough job and a lot of the ones we have are just not good enough

&

they are as important to the entertainment value of a match as the managers

&

they are not going to magically get better if you don't pay them enough to be able to focus on getting better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea where to put this, so I'll leave it here. Pretty funny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm..._to_some_epic/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol maddison did the same thing earlier this year for the spurs egging on the supporters jokingly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Look, officials are often wrong & have a tough job and a lot of the ones we have are just not good enough

&

they are as important to the entertainment value of a match as the managers

&

they are not going to magically get better if you don't pay them enough to be able to focus on getting better
    So true!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The theme of Doyle's power ranking putting us last: it can't have all been the coaching.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/ranki...-tier-for-2024

I'm going to put it out there that MUCH of our dysfunction last year was that the manager/captain situation created an unacceptable, unprofessional dynamic.

I'm not saying the Italians didn't contribute by being petulant prima donnas. But I also expect Italian national team members who are revered in serie a to be petulant prima donnas.

It seemed pretty obvious to me from Jesus Jimenez's article that the players did not feel respected, at any point.

We clearly lack defensive strength and a solid, consistent scoring starting striker. We're also a little spare on wide speed. But there's a lot of ability here that didn't show last year.

They may be right, we may finish last. But Given that Doyle is the 'journalist' who repeatedly picked us in third place during our treble year, and has never seen anything from a Canadian club he thought was a winning formula, I tend to take his usual load of tripe with a bucket of salt.

I'm not even sure if I care whether we make the playoffs this year; I just don't want us to finish last. The MLSsoccer crew eating their words would be a nice side dish.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-20-2024 at 10:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bob Bradley excuse making is infuriating (Especially the weird collective denial around the fact that he is the reason our squad is so bad! The argument usually amounts too 'it's not Bob Bradleys fault, nobody could win with that shitheap squad Bob Bradley put together!'), but they aren't really too wrong to have us dead last. I'm optimistic we won't be, but we're biased & the bookmakers have us rank bottom in the odds for supports shield (Well joint last, with the San Jose & Colorado).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    The Bob Bradley excuse making is infuriating (Especially the weird collective denial around the fact that he is the reason our squad is so bad! The argument usually amounts too 'it's not Bob Bradleys fault, nobody could win with that shitheap squad Bob Bradley put together!'), but they aren't really too wrong to have us dead last. I'm optimistic we won't be, but we're biased & the bookmakers have us rank bottom in the odds for supports shield (Well joint last, with the San Jose & Colorado).
    I don't think we'll be dead last. I'm not sure either DP has the ability to change their game enough that we make the playoffs, but I don't rule it out.

Everyone terms pre-season "meaningless" but if it were, they wouldn't bother. And this year, we scored five goals in four pre-season games... which is five more than last pre-season. Take away the extra-time collapses, and we were leading and/or outshooting our opponent in all four.

The only out right loss ( the Columbus 'loss" featured all their goals being scored after 90 mins) was LA, and we apparently outshot them 6-3 on target, hitting the crossbar twice and skying a point-beaker. So but for a little luck, we probably win that, too.

The lack of movement is not encouraging, but the training performances have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Even though that score line makes me very happy, I wouldn't read too much into it. In 2017 when we won everything, we lost to Cal State University in pre-season. I do hope that the L'Impact continue on the downward trend though

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/ChrisIvey865/sta...Q4nSrutVg&s=19

A lawyer explains MLS roster rule changes for this year

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    https://twitter.com/ChrisIvey865/sta...Q4nSrutVg&s=19

A lawyer explains MLS roster rule changes for this year
    This could be useful for Oso

No longer does the buy down of a DP (via TAM) require that the DP slot or a U22 slot be filled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    As a coach with one of the Rep/Competitive teams with Barrie Soccer Club we are all excited for this draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice they've heavily staggered the game start times this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It gets more unified starting in April.

There are some games earlier due to probable weather (Minnesotta & Columbus home games) but that's not true for Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Irish dude reined himself in as a studio host. He was quite good, surprisingly. He's done some homework since last season, too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, I watched 360 for the first time since August - much better then last year - flow without some guy feeling the need to moderate. However, the Irish guy was all in on the hype approach

His usual schtick is

(Name) - just (exciting verb) it there tonight against (opponent)

He says that pattern at least once every 5 minutes

&

Whenever they cut to commentators ....the unevenness of those on site crews was obvious.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's awesome, thanks!

Which reminds me: I'm a bit sceptical about Richie coming back, but I'm definitely looking forward to some more first-class shithousery from him!