Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    LLoris in LAFC for ....$350k a year.

That is...cheap.
    Yeah. One of these shady MLS things where someone accidently left behind a luxury sports car with a black duffle bag with a couple million in it at the mansion Will Farrell is renting him for 500 bucks a month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Yeah. One of these shady MLS things where someone accidently left behind a luxury sports car with a black duffle bag with a couple million in it at the mansion Will Farrell is renting him for 500 bucks a month.
    Either that or, like Chiellini last year, this is his best chance of starting and winning something and too living in LA. He’s slower than he once was, missed the end of last season injured, stripped of his captaincy, third string for Spurs… probably also less expensive than Crepeau. Even with the sports car in the duffle bag. It’s a one year contract (with club options) so probably his last shot to be assured to start.

edit: There was Bale also for one (winning) season… LAFC seems to be specializing in adding this kind of player.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 12-30-2023 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Seems so, IMCF appears to be engaging Marcos Rojo as well. Does that mean Kamal Miller may be available?
    Oh boy, TFC is dead in the water, Kamal Miller to Portland Timbers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zac Steffen returns as the latest "Oh my Gawd, he's ex MLS now at an EPL powerhouse" washout.

Given his work this weekend, I'd give Turner about 12 months until he returns somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zac Steffen returns as the latest "Oh my Gawd, he's ex MLS now at an EPL powerhouse" washout.

Given his work this weekend, I'd give Turner about 12 months until he returns somewhere.
    Not entirely sure why he didn't make it. He made one high-profile mistake, against Liverpool. He was excellent on his loans.

By MLS standards he's pretty much instantly one of the best in the league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, I was being overly critical there, and more of the industrial MLS complex then of him.

I think his issue was who was in front of him all the time & a certain amount of anti-Americanism.

He's a non-DP going to Colorado of all places who seem to be collecting 1 keeper a year - its a strange way to come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, I was being overly critical there, and more of the industrial MLS complex then of him.

I think his issue was who was in front of him all the time & a certain amount of anti-Americanism.

He's a non-DP going to Colorado of all places who seem to be collecting 1 keeper a year - its a strange way to come back.
    It really is. He must not like living over there, as I have to figure he could get at least $1.7M a year somewhere in Europe.

But maybe there's a glut of expensive keepers right now. I noticed De Gea still doesn't have another club yet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Robinson, hard to believe how Cinci keep adding… we have our work cut out for the next while. With that said Vazquez will be a loss but still… good business

Last edited by Bushmancan; 01-04-2024 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    On Robinson, hard to believe how Cinci keep adding… we have our work cut out for the next while. With that said Vazquez will be a loss but still… good business

Our roster right now compared to them is like comparing Rotherham to Man City. We're that far behind them.

I think their roster could compete in Liga MX and the Championship. It's ridiculous how much better some teams are handling salary construction than even three, four years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Our roster right now compared to them is like comparing Rotherham to Man City. We're that far behind them.

I think their roster could compete in Liga MX and the Championship. It's ridiculous how much better some teams are handling salary construction than even three, four years ago.
    Almost like we had one of these forward thinking minds ahead of the rest of the mls curve, who knew how to be resourceful with the cap, and bring in good value players and use league contacts to find proper solutions vs. Patchwork ideas… and we pissed it all away for we wouldn’t promote the young ambitious mind into a sporting/prez role where his culture and norms could be spread out over the entire organization to build on… feels like a faded memory/dream now lol, maybe I should be checked for onset dementia lol. Someone like that in this modern era surely would have taken their club to an MLS cup or two… /s lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I trust the Crew to last longer as a force (as long as they keep Nancy) then Cinci - there was something brittle about that blue & orange team last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I trust the Crew to last longer as a force (as long as they keep Nancy) then Cinci - there was something brittle about that blue & orange team last year.
    They lost their best midfielder to injury and their best defender to suspension days before their semi-final, and it still took Columbus coming back from two down to beat them. I don't think they're that brittle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I have no idea why MLS hasn't raided the J League. There must be dozens of affordable MLS caliber players in that league.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They lost their best midfielder to injury and their best defender to suspension days before their semi-final, and it still took Columbus coming back from two down to beat them. I don't think they're that brittle.
    Yeh, fair call that....we shall see.

Well constructed team - the disappointment of last year will either motivate them or haunt them - I have a feeling it will haunt them but that is a gut feeling only so..fair call jloome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I have no idea why MLS hasn't raided the J League. There must be dozens of affordable MLS caliber players in that league.
    My impression from talking to a certain front office dude is that this league is quite the self-love fest. The general feeling from most GMs for years has been to hire local, get guys you know, on a recommendation.

The idea of scouting in other leagues has been largely ignored. It's still mostly farmed out to freelance scouts, and they get most of their information from pro databases.

As I've mentioned before, our foreign scouts seem woefully under-equipped to the task. In at least one case, I can see no reason why they have the job. In others, it's for tangential reasons to being a good scout, such as the former club president in Argentina who seems to have had no non-executive style roles, things that would equip him to judge ability.

I think I mentioned last year, there are numerous MLSE staff and contractors who seem to be in their jobs for largely nepotistic or tribal reasons; they know somebody who knows somebody, or they're related to someone else in the biz.

It's one of the reasons I'm so concerned about this offseason; our getting any improvement before about 2027 basically depends on Jason Hernandez and John Herdman getting it right.

Our league is a dinosaur in terms of the requirements and pressures placed on front offices. If you don't have the right GM and manager, you're basically entirely fucked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Perhaps, and at the very least, target their feeder ecosystem for TFC academy coaching staff and youth prospects…

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Yup that sounds right.

btw LAG already signed Yoshida in the summer window (he has been captain and the face of the Japan MNT for the last 5 years), so they are on it - there is a stronger marketing angle for any Pacific coastal team of course…
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Perhaps, and at the very least, target their feeder ecosystem for TFC academy coaching staff and youth prospects…
    I don’t know if the soccer system is the same as the baseball system, but if it is… most people in North America don’t know and would not believe how seriously high school baseball is taken over there. Something like 2000 teams compete like the devil to make into into this tournament, which sells out the main stadium in Osaka for two solid weeks every year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japa...l_Championship

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uaKUT2sLQz8
    Last edited by ensco; 01-07-2024 at 06:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't that where whitecaps got their keeper from? Takaoka. I didn't really follow whitecaps too much this past year to know how he's been but seemed to be top keeper over there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ball and player movement in that video are truly impressive. Hard to believe that’s high school soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My impression from talking to a certain front office dude is that this league is quite the self-love fest. The general feeling from most GMs for years has been to hire local, get guys you know, on a recommendation.

The idea of scouting in other leagues has been largely ignored. It's still mostly farmed out to freelance scouts, and they get most of their information from pro databases.

As I've mentioned before, our foreign scouts seem woefully under-equipped to the task. In at least one case, I can see no reason why they have the job. In others, it's for tangential reasons to being a good scout, such as the former club president in Argentina who seems to have had no non-executive style roles, things that would equip him to judge ability.

I think I mentioned last year, there are numerous MLSE staff and contractors who seem to be in their jobs for largely nepotistic or tribal reasons; they know somebody who knows somebody, or they're related to someone else in the biz.

It's one of the reasons I'm so concerned about this offseason; our getting any improvement before about 2027 basically depends on Jason Hernandez and John Herdman getting it right.

Our league is a dinosaur in terms of the requirements and pressures placed on front offices. If you don't have the right GM and manager, you're basically entirely fucked.
    I always find this shocking but then, in a low budget, franchising way, not allowing the individual teams proper scouting departments was how the league was founded and grew.

Not sure how much longer this will continue especially with Euro sporting directors and executives arriving in the league. The scouting situation must seem bizarre and inefficient to them.

This is an interesting quote from Austin after Rubio was let go and restructuring begun:

“An entirely new scouting and recruitment department consisting of five (5) new full-time scouts at the First Team level who are stationed throughout Europe and South America have been added to Austin FC’s sporting department with immediate effect. Austin FC has also announced that Manuel Junco, who served as Chief Scout since 2020, has left the Club. In addition, Sean Rubio, who most recently served as Senior Vice President of Player Personnel, has accepted a move to join another MLS club.

“Identifying global and national talent is an essential ingredient to achieving long-term success within MLS as it is anywhere else and it is important for Austin FC to view player signings through an entirely new lens as we must improve our rate of success on roster construction,” said Austin FC Sporting Director Rodolfo Borrell. “I believe Josh and his staff deserve increased levels of support from our scouting network, and we intend to deliver that support immediately. Josh is a very good young head coach, and although results this year are disappointing, we are fortunate to have a coach with his level of commitment and knowledge. I am confident he is the right leader for this team.”
    Borrell, who was hired as Sporting Director in July 2023 following time at Manchester City FC, Liverpool FC, and FC Barcelona, will directly oversee scouting and player personnel for Austin FC.”

If Deybi Flores signs I think we can point to Herdman and his staff for that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Could that possibly be Manuel Junco in the TFC Tyrese Spicer draft selection video; seated to the image right of Hernandez, across Rubio and the other individual?

EDIT - Upon further visual comparison, likely not.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-08-2024 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney is still looking for his winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Vanney is still looking for his winger.

And it seems he also wants an old TFC target of his...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if there is anything behind it but I see rumours of Coutinho to Inter Miami.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ibarra loaned by Atlanta to Rosario Central...

poor guy getting messed around because somebody at ATL couldn't count to 4.