Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 103
  1. #1
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    21,614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default MLS Playoffs 2023




    Reminder the Conference quarter finals are best of 3 while rest are 1 and done


    Some intriguing match ups there

    NER vs Philly

    Seattle vs Dallas

    Houston vs RSL



    Houston is my dark horse out of the West - Nashville in the East

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm calling an RSL - Nashville final

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    7,766
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My bracket had RSL vs Crew as the final.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That Orlando/Nashville match up looks like it could be tasty.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    LAFC v Cincinnati is my predicted final.
    Last edited by jloome; 10-24-2023 at 12:02 PM.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'll go Columbus/LAFC as the final.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Beaches Toronto
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    My bracket had RSL vs Crew as the final.
    Thanks for the reminder, its the annual reminder that I know nothing about footy.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Beaches Toronto
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have Columbus vs Houston in the final. See note above

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    John Tolkin will be heading to Leipzig or Salzburg very soon. What a free kick.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Pretend football is over for the day. The proper stuff begins with the Revs vs. Union in less than an hour.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Pretend football is over for the day. The proper stuff begins with the Revs vs. Union in less than an hour.
    Interesting matchup as they're both sort of struggling a little, compared to their form earlier this year.

    Union players are pissed, too, at the club's treatment of Bedoya, not offering a retirement deal.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Interesting matchup as they're both sort of struggling a little, compared to their form earlier this year.

    Union players are pissed, too, at the club's treatment of Bedoya, not offering a retirement deal.
    The Union missing Glesnes could prove the difference. He is definitely a top 5 CB in MLS.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The Revs are now down 1-0 and have lost Carles Gil to injury.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The Revs are now down 1-0 and have lost Carles Gil to injury.
    Hope itís not serious.

    Hereís my rebuilding plan: lure Gil away from New England with the allure of playing soccer on grass and not in a football stadium.

  15. #15
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    21,614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Reminder that this round is best of 3 - doesn't matter how many you score in your wins.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Reminder that this round is best of 3 - doesn't matter how many you score in your wins.
    Vancouver's playing well against LAFC.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Vancouver's playing well against LAFC.
    Definitely an entertaining game.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,060
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is anyone watching the playoffs? This best of three format is ridiculous. On top of so many teams making the playoffs. I just canít watch or be interested. For all its flaws, I think I take Cincinnatiís points that the shield is the better gauge of the best team than this.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Is anyone watching the playoffs? This best of three format is ridiculous. On top of so many teams making the playoffs. I just can’t watch or be interested. For all its flaws, I think I take Cincinnati’s points that the shield is the better gauge of the best team than this.
    I don’t mind the best of three format it actually favours the teams that have done better in the regular season . In a one game format anything can happen in one game and a team with a poor regular season has a better chance of upsetting a top team , I mean it’s soccer a low scoring game where even one goal can win games . In a best out of three is harder for the low ranked to to upset and so it should be . Even a two game total goal series , the top ranked team plays the first game away lose that game and you may be up against it in the return game at home . Moreover , worse yet you lose the away game 4 or 3 nothing or even by more and it almost makes that return game almost meaningless, yes teams have come back from 3 to 4 game deficits but how often do they ? So you buy a ticket to that return game knowing that your team needs a miracle to win. In a best of three no matter if you were blown out that first game you are still in it because of it not being total goals and there being a third game if you win that home game even by a one goal.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 10-29-2023 at 10:41 AM.

  20. #20
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    21,614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    God, Apple commentators are so crud...


    "He's been scouted by Argentina - soon he'll be playing ..." for a guy who's struggled every year but the last 3 months

    "World class" for an open goal chip from 40 metres

  21. #21
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    21,614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So we can have midweek games during the year but ... have to have a week (at least) between games in this round of the playoffs - its going to take 15 days to finish - mostly because some teams (NER & Atlanta & Charlotte) are not the primary residents of their stadiums.

    And then after that - a 2 week international break.

    Idiocy to have a best of 3 - no momentum built up..no hype. About as exciting as the season when you could have gotten the conference playoffs done & 2 teams then rested for 2 weeks for the final.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 10-30-2023 at 06:08 AM.

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So we can have midweek games during the year but ... have to have a week (at least) between games in this round of the playoffs - its going to take 15 days to finish - mostly because some teams (NER & Atlanta & Charlotte) are not the primary residents of their stadiums.

    And then after that - a 2 week international break.

    Idiocy to have a best of 3 - no momentum built up..no hype. About as exciting as the season when you could have gotten the conference playoffs done & 2 teams then rested for 2 weeks for the final.
    This is something I've noticed since the summer began with MLS is that there is just so many long breaks.

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,060
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    This is something I've noticed since the summer began with MLS is that there is just so many long breaks.
    The Nations Cup thing needs to go. Or if they are really intent on it, make it over the whole season like the FA Cup or EFL Cup so we don't lose a whole month of regular season in one go. Really breaks up the interest.

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The Nations Cup thing needs to go. Or if they are really intent on it, make it over the whole season like the FA Cup or EFL Cup so we don't lose a whole month of regular season in one go. Really breaks up the interest.
    Yeah, itís incredibly choppy. Maybe it was nice this year as a showcase for Messi but letís get back to business in 2024

  25. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I don’t mind the best of three format it actually favours the teams that have done better in the regular season . In a one game format anything can happen in one game and a team with a poor regular season has a better chance of upsetting a top team , I mean it’s soccer a low scoring game where even one goal can win games . In a best out of three is harder for the low ranked to to upset and so it should be . Even a two game total goal series , the top ranked team plays the first game away lose that game and you may be up against it in the return game at home . Moreover , worse yet you lose the away game 4 or 3 nothing or even by more and it almost makes that return game almost meaningless, yes teams have come back from 3 to 4 game deficits but how often do they ? So you buy a ticket to that return game knowing that your team needs a miracle to win. In a best of three no matter if you were blown out that first game you are still in it because of it not being total goals and there being a third game if you win that home game even by a one goal.
    Agree 100% with this. I think it is a great format for the first round to make sure the best teams advance.

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,060
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Agree 100% with this. I think it is a great format for the first round to make sure the best teams advance.
    Isn't this the second round?

  27. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    7,766
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Isn't this the second round?
    First round. That other thing last Wednesday was the play in round.

  28. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,060
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    First round. That other thing last Wednesday was the play in round.
    Ah yes, thank you. That was sorta round zero.

  29. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Isn't this the second round?
    No it is not.

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This Orlando/Nashville game is being played at a wonderful pace.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •