Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game. So much composer from both sides. Something tfc lacked or if it even existed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I didn’t get the memo that MLS is doing 3 game series for the first round. Forgive me for saying so but that’s kind of ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cucho is just so good. He is the type of prime age DP that will help lead the league to further growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I guess I didn’t get the memo that MLS is doing 3 game series for the first round. Forgive me for saying so but that’s kind of ridiculous.
    Not really favours the teams that did better in the regular season more , anything can happen in a one and done game . If you’re going to have playoffs this is a good way to weed out the teams that finished lower in the standings . If a lower seed can beat a higher seed team in this round twice then they deserve to advance to the knockout stage .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Not really favours the teams that did better in the regular season more , anything can happen in a one and done game . If you’re going to have playoffs this is a good way to weed out the teams that finished lower in the standings . If a lower seed can beat a higher seed team in this round twice then they deserve to advance to the knockout stage .
    It’s just a lot of games for one playoff round, especially an early one. Have no issue with the home field advantage aspect of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    It’s just a lot of games for one playoff round, especially an early one. Have no issue with the home field advantage aspect of it.
    Yeah, after one round of watching teams I usually hate, I'm fairly burned out on it already. A week before the first two games? It's mental.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, after one round of watching teams I usually hate, I'm fairly burned out on it already. A week before the first two games? It's mental.
    Yeh, its an obvious gate driven exercise but there is no momentum built up for the neutrals - another triumph of the thinking of the penny pinching focused owners like Vancouver & Minnesota & Dallas.

Like some team is going to be in the second round by Saturday and Sunday and not have another game for 3-4 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeh, its an obvious gate driven exercise but there is no momentum built up for the neutrals - another triumph of the thinking of the penny pinching focused owners like Vancouver & Minnesota & Dallas.

Like some team is going to be in the second round by Saturday and Sunday and not have another game for 3-4 weeks.
    Well blame the FIFA international window then , they are breaking for it not much they can do . I mean when TFC won it in 2017 there were big gaps between games too , but in the end did it really affect the momentum? Just have a look at the attendance for those games and the TV ratings . Like really every playoff format we have their faults let’s be serious here . It just seems like anything the MLS does there are always those that are ready to jump to criticize whatever it is because it’s the MLS . Remember, it’s a league existing in a part of the world that has so much other competition from other bigger sports , where other soccer leagues in most other parts of the world have no real competition to worry about . I just get tired of the constant hating on whatever the MLS tries to do no matter what it is , moreover , the constant comparing of how things are done in the bigger soccer leagues in the world . Let me put it to you this way no MLS no TFC and good luck with TFC in the CPL you might as well move them to good old Centennial Stadium at that point because no one will go !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well blame the FIFA international window then , they are breaking for it not much they can do .
    Uh, yes they can. They could have had 3-4 rounds of games in two weeks by this weekend.

Like they do during the season.

Instead, they have done 1.5 rounds.

This isn't a comparison to Europe.

Its a comparison to what they do during the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is the only year we'll see this format. If they want to extend it in the future, they'll probably go back to the two-leg system. Aggregate score battles just make people care more. Between the length of the series and the ridiculous gaps between games, people are just tuning right out, and I suspect their numbers will show that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well blame the FIFA international window then , they are breaking for it not much they can do . I mean when TFC won it in 2017 there were big gaps between games too , but in the end did it really affect the momentum? Just have a look at the attendance for those games and the TV ratings . Like really every playoff format we have their faults let’s be serious here . It just seems like anything the MLS does there are always those that are ready to jump to criticize whatever it is because it’s the MLS . Remember, it’s a league existing in a part of the world that has so much other competition from other bigger sports , where other soccer leagues in most other parts of the world have no real competition to worry about . I just get tired of the constant hating on whatever the MLS tries to do no matter what it is , moreover , the constant comparing of how things are done in the bigger soccer leagues in the world . Let me put it to you this way no MLS no TFC and good luck with TFC in the CPL you might as well move them to good old Centennial Stadium at that point because no one will go !
    They change it up every year. Having some consistency and building a tradition is important. It’s all fly by night. No one does best of 3s anywhere in the world. MLS never has either until now. It’s hard to have any interest. I don’t even know what the next round is. Best of 5?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    They change it up every year. Having some consistency and building a tradition is important. It’s all fly by night. No one does best of 3s anywhere in the world. MLS never has either until now. It’s hard to have any interest. I don’t even know what the next round is. Best of 5?
    Single elimination hosted by the highest seed

The first round is a money grab for the lower seed teams to get a playoff game - Vancouver ownership doesn't care about quality as long as they get more $ out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richie Laryea subbed out in the 55th minute of a must win game. Him, Adekugbe and Hoilett haven't really lived up to expectations for Vancouver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Richie Laryea subbed out in the 55th minute of a must win game. Him, Adekugbe and Hoilett haven't really lived up to expectations for Vancouver.
    Richie and Junior have both been fine. Adekugbe has struggled a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Richie and Junior have both been fine. Adekugbe has struggled a little.
    Richie was brought in as a potential DP, I don't think he has been awful or anything, but he hasn't been as good as he ever was for TFC. The opinion on Hoilett from many Whitecaps fans has been that he is a bust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was overturned, but the ref literally set a pick for LAFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The opinion on Hoilett from many Whitecaps fans has been that he is a bust.
    They had unrealistic expectations, I think, given his age. Tonight was a good example of what he's valuable for now, which is a late-game momentum changer. He created a lot in a short time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first round is a money grab for the lower seed teams to get a playoff game - Vancouver ownership doesn't care about quality as long as they get more $ out of it.
    Wouldn’t home and away aggregate score like they used to do provide the same for the lower seed team? They’re still only getting a game.

It’s funny that Fotmob shows the aggregate scores on their app. They can’t even figure it out.
    Last edited by Canary10; 11-05-2023 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was overturned, but the ref literally set a pick for LAFC.

It was not a goal because of the offside, not the ref interfering with the play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I see a bunch of people on social media crowing about how Van. set a new attendance record with ... 30k! Wowee, 30k in a 50k stadium.

So fucking lame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAK continues his excellent season by getting sent off in the first half of a must win game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAK continues his excellent season by getting sent off in the first half of a must win game.
    What a meat-headed move that was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    It was not a goal because of the offside, not the ref interfering with the play.
    Which is crazy it had to come to that. It almost looked to me like that “offsides” was too close to call and they were begging for a way to avoid the embarrassment.

Play should have been blown dead and drop ball immediately after he inadvertently run into the player. And otherwise he should be reprimanded for shit positioning on that play. He should never be standing where he was under those circumstances.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the quarters are next weekend

One and done

Saturday

Columbus @ Orlando
    Philly @ Cinci

Sunday
    KC @ Houston
    LAFC @ Seattle

I had completely not noticed who was at this stage, beyond a tweet I saw from a guy who works for Houston, and had to look the teams and the schedule up.

Anyways, repeat from last year still on....except this time it would be in Chester PA.

The final is guaranteed to be in the East as all the teams in the East have more points then the teams in the West.

I'm thinking its going to be Houston @ Orlando

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the quarters are next weekend

One and done

Saturday

Columbus @ Orlando
    Philly @ Cinci

Sunday
    KC @ Houston
    LAFC @ Seattle

I had completely not noticed who was at this stage, beyond a tweet I saw from a guy who works for Houston, and had to look the teams and the schedule up.

Anyways, repeat from last year still on....except this time it would be in Chester PA.

The final is guaranteed to be in the East as all the teams in the East have more points then the teams in the West.

I'm thinking its going to be Houston @ Orlando
    Couldn't believe tuning in that there were no weekend games. Forgot about the international break.

Two weeks between rounds, this late in the year? What an asinine clusterfuck this league is becoming.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both of those East matches could be incredible. Cinci, Orlando, Columbus and Philly are definitely among the cream of the crop in terms of watchability.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando playing at home in a one and done game goes and plays high press long ball giving up possession to a team who thrives on "give us the ball for enough time & we will score".

Deserved to lose that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy who pulls douche move to try to get opponent sent off 20 minutes later scores goal that was probably offside (but not clear & obvious on the one replay).

That and Cinci fans are really stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy who pulls douche move to try to get opponent sent off 20 minutes later scores goal that was probably offside (but not clear & obvious on the one replay).

That and Cinci fans are really stupid.
    Watching the replays right after the goal, and I kept thinking, had they used virtual lines ala premier league style, that goal most likely would've been called back.

Which is why I'm so glad, at least to date, that MLS has NOT adopted those lines.

That was just too close to call to overturn it, especially with the naked eye.