Page 45 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently Matty Longstaff formerly of the Newcastle system (loaned out to league 2 & SPL teams) has been spotted travelling with the team. Trialing? 23 year old C;/B
    /CDM 900k value on transfermarkt.

https://twitter.com/TheStoicBowler/s...BIIECwqog&s=19

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    My issue is less with Hernandez individually, more so with the overall setup. We have a GM who has never held the position before and a coach who is new to club football. Taken in isolation this feels like a stretch. Add in their boss having a poor track record, a team culture that appears to be rotten, and various complications around legacy contracts and roster construction... I find it hard to believe this is the beginning of turning it around.

Edit: my primary source of positivity would be Herman's profile. But I struggle to believe that even he could cut through all the crap he's saddled with at TFC.
    Both these profiles are the same that we had with bez and vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    apparently Matty Longstaff formerly of the Newcastle system (loaned out to league 2 & SPL teams) has been spotted travelling with the team. Trialing? 23 year old C;/B
    /CDM 900k value on transfermarkt.

https://twitter.com/TheStoicBowler/s...BIIECwqog&s=19
    Blew his ACL at the end of 2022 and hasn't played since.

But that's pretty normal for an ACL. Rehab and everything, he was probably out for 6-9 months.

Promising young player up until then but clearly not in Newcastle's plans as he was on loan four or five at the time, in League Two.

Herdman's from the Tyneside area (Durham County) so he'd probably know of him already or gotten strong recs.

Reclamation project, though, albeit a free one.

Somewhat bizarrely, his father is a famous English (such as they are) hockey player. But an actual English one, born in England, not a transported Canadian. Maybe there's a story there involving duel citizenship or a Canadian grandparent.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-11-2024 at 10:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Both these profiles are the same that we had with bez and vanney.
    Bez and Vanney had an actual leader above them who inspired confidence. That's the difference.

I think Herdman has an objectively better profile than Vanney coming in. Bez I would argue was more sought-after than Hernandez and the league was at a different stage of its development. But it is what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThreeTwo View Post
    I had pretty good feelings about bez because of his pedigree and experience. Might not have been a GM but he started in MLS HQ. was in the system and knew the paperwork, knew the steps and the process. Understood the rules and knew even if he'd never GM'd in his life - knew where the opportunities were and gaps in the cap/team building to work a roster into prime shape. He had all the knowledge assets banked up and he just had to apply them.

Hernandez comes from nothing
    , so ye i'm with you guys - he's basically got the role for being in the right place at the right time in an organization who needed to plug holes asap and needed good guys who would be allies with Manning. Might have an MBA now, but MBA doesn't teach you how to become an GM or even a leader lol. You recite case studies and its paper leadership to get yourself a higher salary at base. But most his knowledge was gained through 3-4 of TFC's shittiest run years ever lol with some of the shittiest managers and backsupport staff ever, and if he's getting 'how to be a leader' type career vice from Manning he aint getting much pedigree there either. He's stumbling through the rules and the manual on how to be a GM and a leader in real time, and were basically his sandbox of trial and error - he doesn't have any first mover advantage like Bez did on being a master of the rulebook - so with all due respect to em anyone here who's managed personalities and people, understand detailed MLS rules, understands how to run a budget and plan vs. actuals - could have slid into that job like Hernandez and evolved at his same pace. I don't have it out for him- I hope he grows and becomes a beast and our albright. But he's startin at a much lower bar to impress from
    I suspect that just about every gm/coach/other key decision makers that come into mls for the first time have no knowledge about all the nuances of mls roster building......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would say that with sean rubio, herdman and staff and hernandez all doing the same job that bob bradley was doing **by himself** last year gives me more confidence.

rubio has a very good track record and it's a structure far more congruent with modern MLS than we've had last few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i would say that with sean rubio, herdman and staff and hernandez all doing the same job that bob bradley was doing **by himself** last year gives me more confidence.

rubio has a very good track record and it's a structure far more congruent with modern MLS than we've had last few years.
    I have a little optimism. I think we can at least be mediocre this year and not fold like cheap tents in a stiff breeze.

Even if Herdman turns out to be the next Postecoglou, the fact is our individual pieces haven't shown yet that they're good enough, so there's no reason to assume we don't need some better players in.

It would be fair to say they've all had flashes of being good at some point, so perhaps he'll harness them into something we don't even recognize from last year. Would be nice.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm kinda wondering if we don't make the playoffs can we keep this group of 3 still because this was NEVER going to be a 1 year project.

Manning needs to go...said that before.

But I'm not sure about judging these 3 based on the mess left by BB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I have a little optimism. I think we can at least be mediocre this year and not fold like cheap tents in a stiff breeze.

Even if Herdman turns out to be the next Postecoglou, the fact is our individual pieces haven't shown yet that they're good enough, so there's no reason to assume we don't need some better players in.

It would be fair to say they've all had flashes of being good at some point, so perhaps he'll harness them into something we don't even recognize from last year. Would be nice.
    I do believe that a good number of our pieces have shown that they have MLS starting quality.

Kobe
    Oso
    Insigne
    Bernardeschi
    Coello
    Johnson
    O'Neil

Have all shown they can start in this league JMR should in all likelihood be good enough.

The question of can Rosted, Petreta, Flores, Akinola, Owosu, mailula, Mabika et al, be meaningful contributors is definitely an open question. I think that last year was definitely a group that was worse than the sum of its parts.
    We had no tactics at all. I think that any reasonable coaching and effort makes us a playoff team. If we manage to get the vest out of our players and see some growth from the young players, this could be a surprising team.

Anything between ninth and a home playoff game would not surprise me. The Italians are that good if we get the best out of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Matty Longstaff the one that was linked to a big money move to Man United cos he scored a cpl of thunderbastards against them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Is Matty Longstaff the one that was linked to a big money move to Man United cos he scored a cpl of thunderbastards against them?
    He is the same guy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Zdac...FuIHV0ZA%3D%3D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    For clarification… The GAM & TAM figures are just the ones offered in the MLSPA for Y24. IIUC, one of those two, suspect GAM, are allowed to be banked, not all used and/or via trades, and carried over for a limited number of years. So there would be the possibility of having more GAM than I’ve mentioned. We have likely none more though given the financial predicaments of the club these past few seasons.
    Nerdy follow-up…

Internet: People Also Ask…

’General allocation money
    must be used within 30 days of the close of the third full MLS transfer window after it was acquired. If a quantity of general allocation money is not used within that timeframe, it is halved by the league. That halved amount is then available for use during the next two transfer windows.’

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Looks like one for Herdman to me… but did he do his ACL and then another knee injury since that bit of video?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Looks like one for Herdman to me… but did he do his ACL and then another knee injury since that bit of video?
    He tore his ACL at the end of 2022.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so based on everything that's been put out there about the game vs columbus:

final score was 4-2 columbus
    tfc were 2-0 up at 60 mins then heavily rotated their lineup

so the positive is that the starters have won 2 games in a row vs decent teams. the depth is predictably and worryingly bad, it seems.

overall, still seems like an improvement though, considering how our best lineup performed last couple years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://wmubroncos.com/news/2024/2/1...oronto-fc.aspx

Story from the school.

Our PR department is speedy and on the ball, as usual.

Interestingly, his strike partner at Western Michigan signed with Charlotte.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lazar Stefanovic and Adam Pearlman named to the Canada U20 team for CONCACAF U20 qualifiers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Lazar Stefanovic and Adam Pearlman named to the Canada U20 team for CONCACAF U20 qualifiers
    is pearlman still with tfc?
    he is shown has unattached on the csa list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    is pearlman still with tfc?
    he is shown has unattached on the csa list
    His TFC2 contract expired at the end of the season. They wrote that they were in negotiations with him to sign a new deal. Maybe they didn't reach an agreement then, I guess, if he;s listed as unattached
    https://www.torontofc.ca/tfc2/news/t...d-roster-moves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    His TFC2 contract expired at the end of the season. They wrote that they were in negotiations with him to sign a new deal. Maybe they didn't reach an agreement then, I guess, if he;s listed as unattached
    https://www.torontofc.ca/tfc2/news/t...d-roster-moves
    tfc2 sure do have small roster at the moment,i also heard that walkes is training with york united

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    tfc2 sure do have small roster at the moment,i also heard that walkes is training with york united
    They're allowed to add 11 academy players to the roster, who don't count to the roster. Last year they had about 16 players on pro contracts for the full season. The rest were academy guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

it was his brother Sean that was linked to Utd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    it was his brother Sean that was linked to Utd
    A Newcastle fan online yesterday said one of the big Italian clubs came in for Matty but Newcastle persuaded him to stay there. Then they loaned him out, then he blew his knee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Newcastle fan online yesterday said one of the big Italian clubs came in for Matty but Newcastle persuaded him to stay there. Then they loaned him out, then he blew his knee.
    Who was it that suggested we were looking at him as a possible CB? Did he play centre back during his loans?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who was it that suggested we were looking at him as a possible CB? Did he play centre back during his loans?
    Someone saw him with the team in LA, and Herdman is from County Durham.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone saw him with the team in LA, and Herdman is from County Durham.
    Those two I know of, but not the CB part.

A ‘what happened to Marty Longstaff’ article:

https://onefootball.com/en/news/what...taff-38781629#

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those two I know of, but not the CB part.

A ‘what happened to Marty Longstaff’ article:

https://onefootball.com/en/news/what...taff-38781629#
    Oh... good point!

Every clip I've seen of him he's playing midfield. He's a defensive minded 6/8 type, I think, and probably too small to be playing centre half in MLS.

But we definitely need another DM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh... good point!

Every clip I've seen of him he's playing midfield. He's a defensive minded 6/8 type, I think, and probably too small to be playing centre half in MLS.

But we definitely need another DM.
    Yeah, that was what I was thinking. He seems not an obvious candidate for conversion to CB.

But yes we definitely could use another DM. I don’t think Cohelo is a natural 6, and he didn’t really look it in his one match under Herdman, either. Maybe I’m wrong and he can learn. No doubt he can learn something from Flores, and he does have special qualities but none of them are especially purely defensive minded. He might be able to play the double pivot or be a Micheal Bradley or Hutchinson sort of ‘6/not naturally 6’. But they were both bigger/tougher and quicker than Coelho is.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 02-13-2024 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was this individual as well. Just understood it may not be. The initial rumour was posted on 05FEB24. iIUC, seems he made the starting line-up for the Copa AUF Uruguay match between Montevideo clubs Wanderers and River Plate on 07FEB24. Also, seems according to the club website he may have renewed his contract by recently re-signing with the wanderers for 2024. So unless something dramatic has happened and caused his situation to change, thinking it’s not him, if any Emiliano Garcia at all.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-13-2024 at 12:51 PM.