Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swear sometimes the only two criteria for people to suggest a player signing is

A. They are Canadian

Or

B. They played for TFC before.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    If you waive a player and they aren't claimed, the budget charge stays on your books, yea?

Not if done prior to the season for semi guaranteed contracts

Waivers

Clubs may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. A club may waive a Semi-Guaranteed Player at any time during the regular season until three business days prior to the Contract Guarantee Date. A club may waive a Guaranteed Player (at any time) or a Semi-Guaranteed Player (after the Contract Guarantee Date) only with League approval. Clubs may not waive a player between the Roster Freeze Date and MLS Cup.

Semi-Guaranteed Players waived on or after the Contract Guarantee Date and Guaranteed Players waived anytime, and who clear Waivers (i.e., not picked up by another club), will continue to have their respective Salary Budget Charges count against the applicable Club Salary Budgets. The club waiving the player will not receive a replacement player.
    Looks like Mavinga is semi-guaranteed
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-21-2024 at 09:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He was absolutely dire for them last year. Surprised they left it this late.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/st...qgQl6I-aw&s=19

Potentially expect more business this week.

Hernandez says could be 2 more in before Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/st...qgQl6I-aw&s=19

Potentially expect more business this week.

Hernandez says could be 2 more in before Sunday.
    Hopefully he wasn't counting this waste of space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post

If it's just him and the Brazilian kid who hasn't played any pro football, we'll know they've learned sweet diddly fuck about messaging.

I wonder if Mabike will be released. Takes an international spot but still doesn't have a new contract as far as I know and is technically a free agent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF is this????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    WTF is this????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sean is old, Luka is young. If Sean gets injured we need a backup with some league experience, basically. He's a training goalie, in effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is a domestic player. Grew up in the states.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Missed that. He's still listed on a few sites as a free agent.

That story does say they were still discussing terms and we haven't heard of a deal being signed, so maybe he's under last year's terms or maybe they just didn't announce an agreement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Sean is old, Luka is young. If Sean gets injured we need a backup with some league experience, basically. He's a training goalie, in effect.
    I dunno. I feel like there are many different ways to handle this requirement and get a better player.

Any thought of him on the field is an instant bomb scare

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I dunno. I feel like there are many different ways to handle this requirement and get a better player.

Like Luke Singh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's just him and the Brazilian kid who hasn't played any pro football, we'll know they've learned sweet diddly fuck about messaging.

I wonder if Mabike will be released. Takes an international spot but still doesn't have a new contract as far as I know and is technically a free agent.
    Mabika isn't a free agent and does not take up an international slot. He has American citizenship
    As a supplemental roster slot, he's fine. As long as he's not penciled in as a starter.
    Last edited by rydermike; 02-22-2024 at 02:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Definite bomb scare. But I suppose there are more pressing issues needing attention than more quality for a third keeper. Let’s hope he doesn’t see the field again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    As a supplemental roster slot, he's fine. As long as he's not penciled in as a starter.

He's a fucking bombscare, or he was last year. Plus, in two separate matches he literally quit on the play when he still could've influenced it. Just gave up.

It was a bad year, but I'm a long way from convinced he's of any value.

And I already noted the free agent thing, above.

They put out a release that said they were exercising his option, but that's just his rights. The same story said they were "in discussions," suggesting he required a new deal, and he was listed on Transfermarkt as a free agent.

So it sounded like the option year terms hadn't been worked out yet or were being altered. But maybe it's just vague terminology, and it's last year's terms plus the mandatory MLSPA bump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    Like Luke Singh.
    Singh may have had the most clueless and lost performances of any Toronto CB that I can remember. But he was young and if I remember correctly he really had passing range. That and a couple of years of loans seem to have gotten him a look under Herdman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what's going on with Diomande?

In Florida, they said he'd be in California. In California, he wasn't quite ready and was still in Toronto.

Oh to be a fly on the wall right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Florida, they said he'd be in California. In California, he wasn't quite ready and was still in Toronto.

i cant take this club serious until they buy him out .buy down oso and get a real dp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id imagine the team is giving him and his agent enough time to ask around of other teams before they officially buy him out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    Id imagine the team is giving him and his agent enough time to ask around of other teams before they officially buy him out
    Let’s hope so. Otherwise, if this keeps up, the lack of a buyout of anyone last year and so far again this year suggests buyouts are no longer an option at TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody aught to explain to the accountant types at MLSE that the player pay budget line for TFC should always include a buyout line based on the median pay for the team at that time - a buyout is really just a severance package for a crap employee. A certain % of annual salary budget spent on severance for crap employees is a price of doing business that most accountants understand - why this doesn't get seen this way by MLSE accountants is baffling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody aught to explain to the accountant types at MLSE that the player pay budget line for TFC should always include a buyout line based on the median pay for the team at that time - a buyout is really just a severance package for a crap employee. A certain % of annual salary budget spent on severance for crap employees is a price of doing business that most accountants understand - why this doesn't get seen this way by MLSE accountants is baffling.

I think this is a general fear that the front office has fucked up so many contracts and purchases in the last three years that any mention of a word like 'buyout' and heads may roll. It's not being implicitly forced on them they just know they're hanging by a thread. So they're not going to waste a dime, or be perceived to, if they can avoid it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Let’s hope so. Otherwise, if this keeps up, the lack of a buyout of anyone last year and so far again this year suggests buyouts are no longer an option at TFC.
    I have been saying that all along. It would explain why Manning is still employed. His contract runs until the end of 2025. Its obvious that he is not being held accountable for on field results or he would be long gone. I don't believe he is going anywhere until after the 2025 season, which is when the real re-build will begin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what happens when you have a board of directors made up almost entirely of Telecom execs, all of whom have zero expertise in the operations of a professional sports organization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something from the archives, for your reading enjoyment. Boy did this ever age quickly.

My favourite part is where it states that Manning has created "a company culture focused on winning and giving back to our community".

Toronto FC Communications

Thursday, Mar 18, 2021, 03:00 PM

Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) announced today that Bill Manning, President of Toronto FC and the Toronto Argonauts, has been signed to a five-year extension through the 2025 Major League Soccer and Canadian Football League seasons.

“MLSE’s ownership is extremely proud of the strength of the organization’s leadership at all levels, but that is especially true within our teams where we have some of the strongest leaders in our respective leagues,” said Larry Tanenbaum, Chairman of MLSE. “Bill has brought invaluable experience to MLSE as President of TFC and the Argos, but more importantly, he has had an important hand in creating a company culture focused on winning and giving back to our community.”

“MLSE’s teams have important voices in each of their respective leagues and an important voice in our organization as we work together to deliver championships to our city and our fans,” said Michael Friisdahl, President & CEO of MLSE. “As President of Toronto FC and the Argonauts, Bill’s wealth of experience and many accomplishments have helped shape our leagues for the better and his impact within our company is just as important. Both teams are well positioned for the future and we look forward to continued success for TFC and the Argos under Bill’s leadership.”

Last edited by NK Toronto; 02-22-2024 at 08:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a fucking bombscare, or he was last year. Plus, in two separate matches he literally quit on the play when he still could've influenced it. Just gave up.

It was a bad year, but I'm a long way from convinced he's of any value.

And I already noted the free agent thing, above.

They put out a release that said they were exercising his option, but that's just his rights. The same story said they were "in discussions," suggesting he required a new deal, and he was listed on Transfermarkt as a free agent.

So it sounded like the option year terms hadn't been worked out yet or were being altered. But maybe it's just vague terminology, and it's last year's terms plus the mandatory MLSPA bump.
    He was a disaster at the end of the season and had those quitting moments, but he had moments at the beginning. Yes, those are big issues, but for a sub-100k contract , I'm willing to give another chance. You can't teach 6feet 6inches. Okello didn't do much with the height, but given I'm not expecting MLS Cup, I'm good at giving another shot. Maybe I'm just more forgiving than most.

I think you're misremembering the initial release. They said they retained his option, not that they exercised it. That means they hadn't exercised it, but hadn't declined it either. They simply decided to wait until the option deadline to decide what they were going to do with it. They eventually decided to exercise the option. So didn't require a new deal, the option was part of the deal. Transfermarkt isn't gospel, it's great, but it's wrong every so often (sorry Bill Manning).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    He was a disaster at the end of the season and had those quitting moments, but he had moments at the beginning. Yes, those are big issues, but for a sub-100k contract , I'm willing to give another chance. You can't teach 6feet 6inches. Okello didn't do much with the height, but given I'm not expecting MLS Cup, I'm good at giving another shot. Maybe I'm just more forgiving than most.

I think you're misremembering the initial release. They said they retained his option, not that they exercised it. That means they hadn't exercised it, but hadn't declined it either. They simply decided to wait until the option deadline to decide what they were going to do with it. They eventually decided to exercise the option. So didn't require a new deal, the option was part of the deal. Transfermarkt isn't gospel, it's great, but it's wrong every so often (sorry Bill Manning).
    Nah, headline threw me. Headline says "exercises contract option'," but the story says "retained." Good catch dude.

As for Mabike, he looks like the kind of player who should be learning in NextPro, not on the first team roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do not believe they can; are allowed to. Thinking for two reasons. First, I believe for FIFA and the EU, a ‘Buy-Out’ is defined for a player’s contract as a pre-set negotiated amount against which another club could buy the release for a desired footballer from their current club’s contract. Second, for the MLS and in North America, under the MLS entity model, the footballers are part of a PA; unionized. Unionized individuals are not able to be offered, nor negotiate themselves with their own lawyer to get, severance. They are bound by a collective agreement. The union representatives are responsible to negotiate at all times for any package. IIUC, these kind of details are usually never baked/pre-set scaled into an agreement for flexibility or precedent setting reasons; by either party.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, I know there are limitiations but the buyout is an option and should be within the potential budget for any team.

A set budget line for a buyout is in essence, a severance line that can only be triggered at a certain part of the year. Well run larger organizations expect a certain % of payroll to be severances.

TFC budgets will have a salary section internally for players - this line isn't the cap line - many of us are thinking that line this year is less then the cap.

That yearly player budget area internally should, if doing this properly, have a buyout line that has a figure based on the median salary of the players.

In that way, any buyout is anticipated - yes, something like Jozy is a difficult one that needs approval beyond but at least there is anticipation of said buyout.

IF, however, the budget section was created without a buyout area, then there is no wiggle room for a buyout - that is foolish budgeting, especially if you set the budget in November of 2023 knowing our roster.

That failure would be ultimately on Manning for allowing it & MLSE accountants for not insisting on it.

I suspect and hope they budgeted for a buyout - almost every manager change has a buyout follow the next season. And if that internal budget line exists, that might be one reason why there are financial restrictions.

Which is why if they do not use the buyout this season, I have issues - to not do so indicates poor planning & foolish/wishful thinking. We might then be seeing a "I ran the CanMNT to the WC therefore I can turn anybody around" thinking ...which is dangerous.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-23-2024 at 07:22 AM.