Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1713
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    This genuinely is disheartening to me. We just can't move on from the past. I get why you guys are excited, but I personally just wanted to move on. Bring in new players to become club heros. Maybe actually develop someone. Not keep recycling the same names and faces.
    He's in his prime and had interest from Serbian champs amongst others.

This is hardly 36 year old giovinco loo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm torn on this. I love Richie and he's proven in this league and this team. It's just how much do you want to spend on a RB. In a cap league, it's what makes me uncertain. Richie's probably going to take up 1-1.5 million of cap space in salary+fees. I'd rather spend that amount on a proven striker. Instead we're spending that same amount on a mishmash of below average and/or unproven strikers.

Uncapped league, this is a no-brainer. Cap league, it's all about the right players, in the right spots, for the right price. We just have too many wrong players, in the wrong spots, for the wrong price.
    Last edited by rydermike; 02-23-2024 at 10:19 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This genuinely is disheartening to me. We just can't move on from the past. I get why you guys are excited, but I personally just wanted to move on. Bring in new players to become club heros. Maybe actually develop someone. Not keep recycling the same names and faces.
    Thank you. Everyone is caught up in what Richie was... I get wanting him back and all.. But this makes no sense as a contract and salary point of view..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

He's a good player. I just don't like the move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richie coming back is fantastic. I'm so happy about this. Now I have some hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is true, but you have to understand cynicism, too. I doubt there was any thought into strategy, impact or how this works with our overall roster construction and gameplan, I doubt Manning went beyond 'nice fan service' in his thought process. There is a hell of alot of history to frame that

However, that doesn't make it a 'bad' signing at all. Depending on our cap and xam situation, I also like it, but we've spent years making signings like this with no care for overall strategy and it's turned us into the worst team in MLS, so I also get why people are cynical. I'll fully judge this when I see what else they turn up with. If this is our only signing we spend money on, it's really not a good use of high spend, and not addressing our core needs. If we do strenghten elsewhere, I like it. He, no doubt, improves the team significantly it's just in a salary cap league that alone doesn't always make it a good signing. So, lots of moving parts, and cynicism is not an insane reaction to this even if I don't fully share it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    This is true, but you have to understand cynicism, too. I doubt there was any thought into strategy, impact or how this works with our overall roster construction and gameplan, I doubt Manning went beyond 'nice fan service' in his thought process. There is a hell of alot of history to frame that

However, that doesn't make it a 'bad' signing at all. Depending on our cap and xam situation, I also like it, but we've spent years making signings like this with no care for overall strategy and it's turned us into the worst team in MLS, so I also get why people are cynical. I'll fully judge this when I see what else they turn up with. If this is our only signing we spend money on, it's really not a good use of high spend, and not addressing our core needs. If we do strenghten elsewhere, I like it. He, no doubt, improves the team significantly it's just in a salary cap league that alone doesn't always make it a good signing. So, lots of moving parts, and cynicism is not an insane reaction to this even if I don't fully share it
    He's proven, he was our best player during his last two stints with us, he knows Herdman's system, he's well-liked and we need wide speed desperately.

People are seriously overthinking this. With the amount of GAM we have in reserve this has basically no contract impact on us.

And they're probably not going to sign another striker until we've shed some players somehow, and/or given later arrivals like Owusu and Mailula a chance to prove themselves as having some value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He's proven, he was our best player during his last two stints with us, he knows Herdman's system, he's well-liked and we need wide speed desperately.

People are seriously overthinking this. With the amount of GAM we have in reserve this has basically no contract impact on us.

And they're probably not going to sign another striker until we've shed some players somehow, and/or given later arrivals like Owusu and Mailula a chance to prove themselves as having some value.
    All that can be true and it can also be true that if we had a choice betweeen him and a striker and chose him, that was a bad move (Sounds like it's more we've maxed out the body count there?). I think people are reasonable to overthink a move that fits a pattern of making us the worst assembled roster in MLS history, even if I also think the move is good. This doesn't scream 'lessons learned' to me, even if, again, in this particular case, it might actually be the right move

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, this is a big, big W. Richie the RB is great (and somehow was their best attacker at times), Richie the RWB will be a force. Him providing the width will allow Berna to play more centrally and closer to Insigne, which is what this team needs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep, we have a ton of gam, almost no intl spots and a desperate need for quality + wingbacks (if petretta plays cb, we have like 2 wingbacks on the roster).

he solves a lot of issues, and is a proven commodity in both MLS and under a herdman system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering the mess the roster is this seems like a win, at least he cares. Welcome back Richie!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will help the offense immediately. As long as people stay healthy, defence is better as well. Question is if you play 3-4-3 makes Bernie a better winger right away but if he gets whiny can you replace him with some of the new faster forwards. Biggest if will now be the striker connection, going to be so important and we need to put away the sitters we missed last year
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 02-23-2024 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep, we have a ton of gam, almost no intl spots and a desperate need for quality + wingbacks (if petretta plays cb, we have like 2 wingbacks on the roster).

he solves a lot of issues, and is a proven commodity in both MLS and under a herdman system.
    Yep this isn't like bringing back someone like Mavinga or even Victor last year.

He's 29 and I agree with Jloome was easily our best player the last 2 seasons when he was here. I'm excited that I imagine he is going to be able to get forward a lot more under the new system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    IMO, this is a big, big W. Richie the RB is great (and somehow was their best attacker at times), Richie the RWB will be a force. Him providing the width will allow Berna to play more centrally and closer to Insigne, which is what this team needs.
    This is it. We're not spending this money on a right back, he's a wing back. Different position, different impact. Not many would say Trent isn't worth the money. He's like having another attacker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a good move. Money desn't matter in this case. We have zero legitimate playmakers on our team. Absolutely none. By adding Richie we now have one. We may not have a real striker, real wingers, or a real AM so this is the best we can do with our current roster and our lack of international spots.

Also in the giant scheme of things; we ended up net positive on the transfer and return so that'll please the board and I forsee roster changes in the summer so paying players like Richie just over $1M won't matter much. Plus he offers 5x more than Bernardeschi & Insigne at 1/20th the cost. Even Osorio brings less than half of what Laryea does week in and week out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richie is a great signing, I'm really glad he's back!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what's our lineup? Striker position still totally up for grabs

--------Insigne - Ayo - Berna -------
    JMR / Spicer - Osorio - Debi - Richie
    ------Petretta -- Long --- ONeil -------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am over the moon about this.

He is an MLS XI caliber player.

He belongs here.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was only 15 months ago that Richie absolutely owned Yannick Carrasco.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post

I'm told we're not done, they're still trying for a couple more pieces.

They're also ecstatic with Long. He's been training with the club all week and has led the backline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

‐---------------insigne-----ayo---------
    ‐---------------------berna---------------
    Petretta------osorio--coelo-----lareya
    ----------------------debi----------------------
    ----franklin------long---------O'Neil------
    ----‐------------Johnson-----‐------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post

I am thinking 3-5-2/Double Pivot…

————-LI/PO——————FB/DK————

—————————JO/AC—————————
    —-TS/JMR———————————RL/AA——
    ——-——-AC/LB/KT———-DF/BS—————

———RP/AM———KL/SR———-SO/KF—-
    ————————SJ/LG/GR————————

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    Yeah, about right I suspect.

Edit: Minus one midfielder!

I think Berna will be the second striker and Insigne in the hole.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-23-2024 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    If we could field this team, we'd definitely have an advantage. 😉

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see a proven striker be signed to the team but it looks like we are certainly focusing on our defensive corps. also maybe also another midfielder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Richie, but considering how poorly he was able to connect with Berna... I don't love this move.

But, in Herdman we trust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oop! Maybe they'll give is the northern CFL extra player stipulation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit: Minus one midfielder!

i think patretta is the left cb with jmr/spicer the llwb ,i know herdman seems to like oneil,but they need a more moble cb in a back 3.maybe patretta is the moble one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t blame you. I would have been way more excited about a player somewhere else on the field rather than Richie’s return. And I fear of the club falling into the same old traps that have held us back.

BUT

Dude is a top player at his position in MLS. I can take some silver lining in that regard.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

grain of salt, but transfermarkt has laryea value at 2.5 mill euros.

getting him for 750K USD as a non DP seems like an absolute steal.