Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no DP contract worse than Jozys reup, I'll argue that forever. I don't think it's debatable tbh, Insigne doesn't even come close to it, and his contract is bad. But Jozys reup was the worst decision, worst return on investment and worst in terms of money spent vs performance. Aren't we still paying him!? At least Insigne had potential upside when signed, Jozy was a known quantity as being completely done

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I feel like the Altidore misfire is more obvious now than it was in 2019.

He had an offer soon after to go to China and we could have sold him for $10M. There is no world where we are selling Insigne to anybody at a profit!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

He had an offer soon after to go to China and we could have sold him for $10M. There is no world where we are selling Insigne to anybody at a profit!
    Did he really have an offer from china or was it just leverage? I say his agent and him made that story up to manipulate our useless FO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was pretty obvious then. Another knee jerk, fan service PR move by the FO that blew up in their faces. This one seemed like a Manning move.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Did he really have an offer from china or was it just leverage? I say his agent and him made that story up to manipulate our useless FO
    Could be.

Anyway, my main point was to argue that, even if you agree that the entire $24M of the last Jozy was “wasted” (an easy position to accept), that sum will still be far less than the amount “wasted” on Insigne.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be.

Anyway, my main point was to argue that, even if you agree that the entire $24M of the last Jozy was “wasted” (an easy position to accept), that sum will still be far less than the amount “wasted” on Insigne.
    I think turning down $10m, if it was true, would only add to what a train wreck, fan service, classic Manning decision that was but I too don't believe it was real. His agent is absolutely absurdly good at what he does, though!

I still think Jozys was worse if you go back to the day it was signed, with what we knew at the time. And especially if you go to the second time, didn't we exercise a club option beyond the 2019 contract extension!?!?

It was pretty obvious he was done, he'd always struggled to stay fit even in his prime 25 regular season games was a good season for him and his injury problems had really escalated, I remember somebody here ran the 'minutes played' over the past couple of seasons when they signing was made and it's even uglier than the games played would suggest - and this was after a 13 regular season appearances season. Players don't get less injury prone with age. He would also get suspended quite often too, iirc. Now I love Jozy (when he was fit he was incredible), but this is a 25 game a season, 13-15 goal a season striker in his prime (I don't think he was ever in the top 10 for goals scored in a league season as an example), not some guaranteed 20+ goals striker, and one whose output was seriously waning and who always struggled with injuries

We threw $20+m at a player whose market value was a *fraction* of that, who was a spent force, because Manning panicked about fan service (A lesson he has learned, oh, absolutely nothing from).

Inisigne was also a bad contract when we signed it, but at least there was potential upside. The guys ceiling, when signed, was absolutely Seba levels - a powerhouse in the MVP standings. Now, with MLS revenue, we'd never get a positive ROI on him even with that, but at least there was a possible outcome where this guy lifts us to championships, sells a tonne of seats and wins a couple of MVP trophies.

There was no potential upside with Jozy, and it's not just looking back - many many posters said exactly this at the time, too. If you were able to remove sentiment and love for him it was obvious that that contract was absolutely just utterly insane for the player we actually had. And then we, allegedly, exercised a club option extension on top of it!?

If I'm rating contracts by how good the decision was to spend what was spent at the time the decision was made, knowing what they knew at the time, Jozy is still number 1 for me emphatically. That's without even getting into how it actually played out which was even worse than people thought.

Mind you the fact that we're arguing which one of our boat anchor contracts belongs in the worst mls contract of all time and which is in the second (And we have at least one more, in Fede, that might turn out to be a top 10 contender, too) says it all. The argument of 'Oh no, I think this one of our astronomical fuck ups was the worst, not the other one'
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 10-25-2023 at 04:27 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is by far the worst when the contract is considered. ..
    That's not usually how "worst DP ever" is judged - but then I don't consider the size of the contract for any DP a yardstick beyond banter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.tfcrepublic.ca/oct-24-to...nts-contracts/

Here’s the list of TFC players who have a guaranteed contract for 2024: Ayo Akinola, Federico Bernardeschi, Latif Blessing, Adama Diomande, Kobe Franklin, Lorenzo Insigne, Sean Johnson, Deandre Kerr, Cassius Mailula, Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Hugo Mbongue, Shane O’Neill, Jonathan Osorio, Prince Owusu, Jordan Perruzza, Raoul Petretta, Sigurd Rosted, Brandon Servania, Luke Singh and Kosi Thompson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ayo, JMR and Hugo to TFC 2?
    Diomande should join Bob in Norway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liverpool website suggests they look at Griffin Dorsey.

Our player development humiliation is nearing epic completion.

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-...berto-27978749
    Last edited by jloome; 10-25-2023 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Demote to TFC2 and eat the money until the Italians decide the embarrassment of flying coach (force it) and taking shitty buses to places like Tacoma to play on a baseball diamond isn't worth the remaining money on the contracts.
    Absolutely the approach Herdman should take. Embarras them for embarrasing us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Liverpool website suggests they look at Griffin Dorsey.

Our player development humiliation is nearing epic competion.

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-...berto-27978749
    got to be tongue in cheek, he's 24 lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one player TFC may go after will be Samuel Piette. Montreal are not bringing him back, according to Tony Marinaro, and Herdman really likes him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the kind of guy we should pursue in free agency. He isn't the greatest CB in league history, but is only 25 with lots of experience and a great physical tool set. Especially if Herdman is married to the 3 at the back set up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    I think one player TFC may go after will be Samuel Piette. Montreal are not bringing him back, according to Tony Marinaro, and Herdman really likes him.
    “Starting in midfield, no. 6, Liaaam Frassssseer”

Don’t shoot the messenger but based on his opportunities to feature with the nats I could see us trying to get him back.

Piette would be okay, bettter than Fraser obviously, but I see a lot more dynamic play at midfield than either of these guys offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hernandez did trade away Fraser's rights, so I am not so sure he rates Liam the same way Herdman does.

Piette has Whitecaps player written all over them since they seem to want to be the CMNT C team (note how little this has helped them sell tickets).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Hernandez did trade away Fraser's rights, so I am not so sure he rates Liam the same way Herdman does..
    That was an automatic trade. When a player wants to come back to MLS but another team owns their rights, MLS forces the 50,000k GAM trade (similar to the Jacen Russell-Rowe rights trade)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    That was an automatic trade. When a player wants to come back to MLS but another team owns their rights, MLS forces the 50,000k GAM trade (similar to the Jacen Russell-Rowe rights trade)
    Just another terrible roster mechanism MLS needs to do away with. Once you relinquish the player, you shouldn't have any claim to him at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should keep a running list of which CanMNT past or present this thread has suggested / referred to.

That way Liam Fraser doesn't come up every 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Quioto and Wanyama, too. Both very good players, although I think the latter is 33 or 34 now, so likely slowing down.

I wonder if he'll surprise us and veer away from Nats. Might see it as biasing his chances of going after the best options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I wonder if he'll surprise us and veer away from Nats. Might see it as biasing his chances of going after the best options.
    I hope so. If he wants the best team that’s what he needs to do. But like any manager you’d expect him to include guys that he’s worked with and likes, esp. if the price is right and they fill a positional/tactical need.

I’d be against Liam Fraser but that’s based on how poor he was with us and everyone else… EXCEPT with Herdman. In truth, he did much better with the Nats. He wasn’t a liability and he had passing range. Him and Piette together in the centre of the park almost completely shut down the US at our field.

Richie is the outlier. The one guy who might come back (really is already ‘here’) costing a lot. And who has proven to be effective playing in his home town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the "Herdman will just collect all of the CMNT" idea is a bit overblown. If Jason Hernandez comes to him and says that Dallas is offering us Liam Fraser but Philly is willing to deal Jose Martinez to us for 400k more GAM, he is obviously taking Martinez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the "Herdman will just collect all of the CMNT" idea is a bit overblown. If Jason Hernandez comes to him and says that Dallas is offering us Liam Fraser but Philly is willing to deal Jose Martinez to us for 400k more GAM, he is obviously taking Martinez.
    Who knows, we might yet set the world record for signing crocked strikers!

So, who is the buyout used on? Striker or defender? I’m thinking Diomande and Akinola are at the top of the list. Will Herdman have a go at working with Akinola? I wouldn’t be surprised if he did, given our roster situation.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 10-26-2023 at 05:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, I don't see it as particularly likely he just signs a bunch of Canadian players just because he managed Canada and we haven't been given any reason to believe he will. I'm actually more worried about Bill "Fan service" Manning on that front, but we'll see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies in advance for the negativity.

Since we have so many "Dud" players under contract, it's going to be interesting to see how creative the front office can be at offloading contracts. Honestly we can't even talk about starting a rebuild until we can strip down to the point that we are an expansion club again.

Next year is going to be a repeat of the last two years as we are stuck with a group of players that with no established chemistry...The only good news is that if Apple still controls the broadcasts I wont be tempted to watch the ongoing perpetual dumpster fire...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    Apologies in advance for the negativity.

Since we have so many "Dud" players under contract, it's going to be interesting to see how creative the front office can be at offloading contracts. Honestly we can't even talk about starting a rebuild until we can strip down to the point that we are an expansion club again.
    I think our dud defenders could be somewhat salvageable with good tactics and a real DM. Like even Bob had them playing good enough to manage draws so Herdman should be able to do about the same. If any of the three DPs managed anything at all during the first half we probably would have been in the lower playoff spots when the LC break came.

Midfield is a disaster but at least most of it is young and benchable for now. Scoring goals is another issue and that's not getting solved by the expensive trash we have up front, minus Kerr.

If we can move a few hacks and if JH x 2 & Rubio are up to it, three spine signings should be enough to change our fortunes from being pure shit to mediocre and within a shout of 9th place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think our dud defenders could be somewhat salvageable with good tactics and a real DM. Like even Bob had them playing good enough to manage draws so Herdman should be able to do about the same. If any of the three DPs managed anything at all during the first half we probably would have been in the lower playoff spots when the LC break came.

Midfield is a disaster but at least most of it is young and benchable for now. Scoring goals is another issue and that's not getting solved by the expensive trash we have up front, minus Kerr.

If we can move a few hacks and if JH x 2 & Rubio are up to it, three spine signings should be enough to change our fortunes from being pure shit to mediocre and within a shout of 9th place.
    Easier to forget now but for the first 1/3 of this season we were defensively solid. We just couldn't score. Had so many 0-0 and 1-1 draws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Easier to forget now but for the first 1/3 of this season we were defensively solid. We just couldn't score. Had so many 0-0 and 1-1 draws.
    Partly because of Hedges. We need a true replacement for him as a priority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did we use our buyout in this past window? Pretty inexcusable if they let that pass and didn’t exercise it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Did we use our buyout in this past window? Pretty inexcusable if they let that pass and didn’t exercise it.
    We didn't, but I wonder if we can use it during the pre-ReEntry Draft trade window and have it still count as 2023. Definitely inexcusable to not have used it. We have a few terrible contracts with no value to get rid of.