Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neil Davidsons article on the signing is very good

https://www.squamishchief.com/nation...radley-8075501

Hernandez says the club currently has salary cap room "to make probably two more key additions in the short-term."

"Call it today's picture. It's not necessarily going to be the same picture three days from now," he added. "We feel pretty confident that we can continue to improve the team with what we have. And as different kind of things fall off the board, the picture will change and we'll be able to continue down that path. We're in a good spot."
    Says players report for physicals this weekend too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Worth noting that Hernandez says that Oso can be bought down if needed. And while this isn't gonna be TFC, this is the kind of signing MLS needs to continue moving towards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should stick Coello next to Flores. Flores wins the ball back, passes to Coello. That's his role.

Like a way less talented version of Gattuso sitting next to Pirlo for so many years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For ensco. ‘It’s the hope that kills’…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CJ. Sapong has seen a lot in his 14 seasons in MLS, but nothing quite like what happened in 2023 at #TFCLive.

The 1-goal striker lifted the lid on what it was like at the club last year on @SoccerCooligans. 📸 @ShaunReports

https://wakingthered.com/2024/01/10/14178/bro-just-dont-vape-c-j-sapong-reflects-on-chaotic-toronto-fc-tenure/
    Last edited by Phil744; 01-09-2024 at 09:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

I hope that quote about “things falling off the board” refers to a buy out (Diamonde, Ayo) or some creative way to shed one or both Italian DPs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    For ensco. ‘It’s the hope that kills’…

You have a good memory!

I just want to point out I was calling for Staq three years ago, before his career took off..
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You have a good memory! I just want to point out I was calling for Staq three years ago, before his career took off..
    Now, now! Boasting, we are? But… if for not the judiciousness of your accompanying bottom banner!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First page of GdS! Seems Fede is off to Juve…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First page of GdS! Seems Fede is off to Juve…

Well, then it must indeed be true. Good find!

I’m not going to be surprised if the terms of a loan are not to our advantage. I suppose the idea is simply to be rid of him (at least for 6 months)…..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Well, then it must indeed be true. Good find! I’m not going to be surprised if the terms of a loan are not to our advantage. I suppose the idea is simply to be rid of him (at least for 6 months)…..
    TBF, IDK. GdS does get it wrong. No other similar source confirmations so far. Let’s see what the rest of today offers. Transfers in Italy are often a soap opera. However, lots more smoke now. For me, the way Fede acted on NYE was a tell that the matter is likely to get resolved. You are probably right about terms of a loan though; given CJS recent confirmation of the locker-room sitch. IMO, TFC should not start the season with any such of a toxic source present. However, I hope that club mgmt stands fast and plays hardball with him as much as they possibly can. They have to drive a final resolution from a position of determination towards a negotiated settlement of mutual termination. One that saves MLSE more than just any salary difference Juve offsets. The immediate rebuild future of TFC could depend on it.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-10-2024 at 05:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am of the belief that Berna needs to be far away from this club for any hope of a positive season.

CJs interview just confirms again how toxic he was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So judging from the article in GdS. If Kostic is sold to Saudi or Kean is loaned/sold, they'd move for Berna.

Wouldn't get my hopes up based on that tbf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now this is a more interesting rumor...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, then it must indeed be true. Good find!

I’m not going to be surprised if the terms of a loan are not to our advantage. I suppose the idea is simply to be rid of him (at least for 6 months)…..
    I am willing to bet that we work out a 6-18 month loan no matter what. It will simply be our buyout disguised as a simple loan. If we loan him and do not buyout diomande, we will have had our answer. Fede is simply not leaving the money on the table.

Heardman likely negotiated the ability to buyout at least one of the Italians into his contract. I know I wouldn't have taken the job without that kind of power. I would need to have the power to control my locker room.

The removal of a cancer is the first step in building a better culture. Demonstrate you have the power and willingness to do what needs to be done. Step two is acquiring the proper replacement. That may have to wait till the summer, but given how long our window is open in the spring it may not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Odd one for me. IIUC, just signed a three year deal this past summer; circa USD1.1M/YR. Does not seem to be as prolific as a Laryea; Gs/As/PKs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    I am willing to bet that we work out a 6-18 month loan no matter what. It will simply be our buyout disguised as a simple loan. If we loan him and do not buyout diomande, we will have had our answer. Fede is simply not leaving the money on the table.
    Heardman likely negotiated the ability to buyout at least one of the Italians into his contract. I know I wouldn't have taken the job without that kind of power. I would need to have the power to control my locker room. The removal of a cancer is the first step in building a better culture. Demonstrate you have the power and willingness to do what needs to be done. Step two is acquiring the proper replacement. That may have to wait till the summer, but given how long our window is open in the spring it may not.
    All sounds reasonable to me. If it happens, the transfer details will be interesting to learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All sounds reasonable to me. If it happens, the transfer details will be interesting to learn.
    The thing is, with MLS we will never know the actual details. They can just keep things close to the vest. They tell us nothing and we lap it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Heardman likely negotiated the ability to buyout at least one of the Italians
    He did not.

He has complete roster control in that he can sit or get rid of whomever he likes. But that doesn't guarantee he's going to get money to do it. They're not going to give any manager carte blanche again.

So if something is expensive they still have to make a call based on keeping within their spending guidelines.

That's probably why it hasn't happened already. MLSE doesn't care about $12M amortized over several years, it's a rounding error to them. But the obvious way to keep the front office on the ball is to limit their means somewhat.

So he's much more likely to be going out on a season-long loan to buy. I'm told, although this source has been wrong before, that they are trying to get a "must buy" clause in there based on number of appearances, so they can recoup some money.

But if they don't get that they'll still loan him out to get rid of him, because he's just poisonous. If they can't loan him, I can honestly see them sitting him and "allowing him to train on his own," which is the nice way of saying just shutting him out and paying him for nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flores is a great signing and the type of glue that holds MLS teams together. Can only hope for a few more in that direction with perhaps some younger TAM players thrown in the mix. This season is gonna be growing pains regardless so why not aim for young and talented guys that wanna be here, and keep either none or one of the Italians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He did not.

He has complete roster control in that he can sit or get rid of whomever he likes. But that doesn't guarantee he's going to get money to do it. They're not going to give any manager carte blanche again.

So if something is expensive they still have to make a call based on keeping within their spending guidelines.

That's probably why it hasn't happened already. MLSE doesn't care about $12M amortized over several years, it's a rounding error to them. But the obvious way to keep the front office on the ball is to limit their means somewhat.

So he's much more likely to be going out on a season-long loan to buy. I'm told, although this source has been wrong before, that they are trying to get a "must buy" clause in there based on number of appearances, so they can recoup some money.

But if they don't get that they'll still loan him out to get rid of him, because he's just poisonous. If they can't loan him, I can honestly see them sitting him and "allowing him to train on his own," which is the nice way of saying just shutting him out and paying him for nothing.
    Just seemed logical. A loan move does little but remove the cancer.

If he is gone that is enough I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure I understand this rumor if its true because we already have Franklin and we are in much need of two starting CBs and a ST.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    Not sure I understand this rumor if its true because we already have Franklin and we are in much need of two starting CBs and a ST.
    If Herdman identifies the wingbacks as key to his plans then he may have decided that Franklin isn't experienced enough to take the role full time. Which would make sense depending on the potential cost (if true).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Herdman could also view Franklin as his Alistair Johnston. The RCB in a back 3. Kobe also seems to be backed by the WTR crew which makes him 98% likely to be a bust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    If Herdman identifies the wingbacks as key to his plans then he may have decided that Franklin isn't experienced enough to take the role full time. Which would make sense depending on the potential cost (if true).
    Franklin is a good young player but he's not ready to start, in any system. He doesn't have the speed of read or decision making yet, and he doesn't have enough skill going forward.

He should be getting backup minutes and cup appearances, if we're even remotely serious about winning. He's just not there yet.

Gabriel is a bigger-than-average right back and he's apparently quite good in the air. I can see Herdman taking him on as a right-sided defender in a back three or as a right back.

He's flexible but his passing and crossing percentages are weak even though his defensive set is strong. So I can see him being a guy who got passed over because his offensive contribution wasn't sufficient.

In Herdman's systems that probably describes a right-center-back more than a wingback. He'll want his wingbacks to be speed merchants who cross well.

Herdman could also view Franklin as his Alistair Johnston. The RCB in a back 3. Kobe also seems to be backed by the WTR crew which makes him 98% likely to be a bust.
    Yeah, that makes sense. He has serious problems with decisions in the offensive zone but he's very good for his age at the back. I could see him platooning Franklin with an older guy like Gabriel in the RCB position.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-10-2024 at 04:28 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.. Kobe also seems to be backed by the WTR crew which makes him 98% likely to be a bust.
    The problem with WTR is they latch onto 2 minutes of performance and make that destiny.

As lots of people have indicated, as a young player, the trick to success is consistency and getting better. WTR has no concept of capability beyond athleticism and "innate skills".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flores said he feels “excited and blessed” to be at TFC and stressed he is “ready to work hard and pour my heart into every moment I wear this jersey.”

That is half the battle, be a warrior in the jersey with “No Quit”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TBF, IDK. GdS does get it wrong. No other similar source confirmations so far. Let’s see what the rest of today offers. Transfers in Italy are often a soap opera. However, lots more smoke now. For me, the way Fede acted on NYE was a tell that the matter is likely to get resolved. You are probably right about terms of a loan though; given CJS recent confirmation of the locker-room sitch. IMO, TFC should not start the season with any such of a toxic source present. However, I hope that club mgmt stands fast and plays hardball with him as much as they possibly can. They have to drive a final resolution from a position of determination towards a negotiated settlement of mutual termination. One that saves MLSE more than just any salary difference Juve offsets. The immediate rebuild future of TFC could depend on it.
    Ah, thanks. It certainly sounds like it’s going this way… or at least the way of Bernie not being on the TFC bench this season. It would not surprise me if we got nothing out of it in terms of cap relief and were on the hook for all or most of his salary as well.

Hmm, so where will Herdman play Insigne?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That might be very interesting. I don’t think Kobe offers enough going forward for Herdman, not yet anyway. My guess is we use Petretta as the LCB in a back three. If it’s Kobe on the right maybe in rotation and also as back up at RWB. I agree that we need a line leader at the back but if the current L and R backs become CBs that gives us 5 CBs (6 if Singh stays). Given the Flores acquisition, I wouldn’t be surprised if much of whatever we have left to acquire more players is spent on wing backs.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 01-10-2024 at 10:02 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That might be very interesting. I don’t think Kobe offers enough going forward for Herdman, not yet anyway. My guess is we use Petretta as the LCB in a back three. If it’s Kobe on the right maybe in rotation and also as back up at RWB. I agree that we need a line leader at the back but if the current L and R backs become CBs that gives us 5 CBs (6 if Singh stays). Given the Flores acquisition, I wouldn’t be surprised if much of whatever we have left to acquire more players is spent on wing backs.
    Mid 20 year old striker, with Pace