Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    thats the unfortunate part- pettreta is being paid as the highest LB in MLS and his on field performance is no where justifying the insane contract good ole;' bill manning agreed to
    His contract is a bit rich but every now and then he looked like maybe he could be useful.

We have no choice but he is a player who might take a season to adjust to MLS and look at the overall horseshit we had everywhere last season. Same reason I haven't 100% written off Rosted yet.

Adjustment time + no sensible manager + surrounded by garbage players attitude & skill wise = a good chance of playing below their level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    His contract is a bit rich but every now and then he looked like maybe he could be useful.

We have no choice but he is a player who might take a season to adjust to MLS and look at the overall horseshit we had everywhere last season. Same reason I haven't 100% written off Rosted yet.

Adjustment time + no sensible manager + surrounded by garbage players attitude & skill wise = a good chance of playing below their level.
    Yeah, I think we have to make lemonade out of lemons some places on this roster and this would be one of them.

We still need a fullback on the other side and a leader CB. No way around those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of random and South America is awful for reporting. But...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Pulling the plug on Themi. A bit surprising but maybe they're trying to send a message to younger prospects.
    I think this is a mistake. He was no worse than someone making ten times his salary and was playing out of position. I would have played him instead of Insigne to see what someone with a little speed on the wing can do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I think this is a mistake. He was no worse than someone making ten times his salary and was playing out of position. I would have played him instead of Insigne to see what someone with a little speed on the wing can do.
    Maybe they're setting some new age-based standards. He's a long way off the good 22-year-olds in this league; I can see him coming good eventually, but definitely as a late bloomer.

And if you're focussing on bringing efficacy to a moribund youth development system, part of that might be saying guys who are 22, 23 have to be able to hang with first-team players in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Kind of random and South America is awful for reporting. But...

Interesting.

They could afford him, though they're traditionally pretty careful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VV's goodbye post today on Instagram is a real tear jerker... love that guy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    VV's goodbye post today on Instagram is a real tear jerker... love that guy
    I'm baffled why Herdman didn't give Victor a couple of minutes in the last game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I'm baffled why Herdman didn't give Victor a couple of minutes in the last game.
    Yeah, I’m glad I saw him last season at BMO with LAG. He’s very slow but still brilliant to watch if one cares about the rare quality he has. The matador.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vazquez says goodbye to the club and the fans.

https://wakingthered.com/2023/11/04/...leased-by-tfc/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Have they used their buy-out for this year? If they haven't and don't and let it lapse, that's a fireable offence for the whole front office.
    And does the "whole front office" include the MLSE board? Could it be they won't approve of providing funds required for a buyout?

Plus there's a question if buy-outs are still allowed through to the end of the year? i.e. when the league's rules refers to "off season", does the period from after MLS Cup to end of the calendar year still get included for purposes of making a buy-out should a team have not used it yet? I've reread the rules on that, and definitely feels there's some ambiguity there.

And if the above is allowed, it's also been suggested the buy-out for this year may have already been used on MB. Which wouldn't surprise me, as he had his contract restructured again in the past off season, thereby leaving "money on the table".

Then the question is did he actually retire with money left on the table, or was there really a buyout in play behind the scenes for the remaining amounts owing? Yes, I'm well aware it was publicly announced as a "retirement".

This reminds me of the Frings situation many years back.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Interesting.

They could afford him, though they're traditionally pretty careful.
    That is a parody account sadly, I wish it was true.

Also not sure where this buy out has elapsed stuff has cone from.

If you are going to use it mid season, you have to use it by the end of the 2nd transfer window.

Otherwise you have the whole offseason to use it.

We bought out jozy in February remember
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 11-05-2023 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

Also not sure where this buy out has elapsed stuff has cone from.

If you are going to use it mid season, you have to use it by the end of the 2nd transfer window.

Otherwise you have the whole offseason to use it.

We bought out jozy in February remember
    Jozy was bought out in Feb 2022 and was our 2022 buyout. We didn't buy out any other player that season. He was our only buyout since you have one per season. (ex. They had to trade Dwyer plus assets to Dallas for them to use their buyout on hin).

The question is whether our 2023 buyout has expired since we never used it. Do we still have it (plus our 2024 buyout) or do we only have our 2024 buyout left. Most of us are hoping our 2023 buyout can still be used in addition to our 2024 buyout. The question is can we buyout two players this offseason (one now for the 2023 buyout and one before next season for the 2024 buyout), or has the current year buyout expired.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will bet money that MB was the 2023 buyout and the retirement thing was a hastily-contrived story.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I will bet money that MB was the 2023 buyout and the retirement thing was a hastily-contrived story.
    100 percent agree. He took a pay cut this year and put the balance owed out into next year. He didn’t walk away from that money. Retirement sounds dignified over a buy out especially when this is the end of your career.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Jozy was bought out in Feb 2022 and was our 2022 buyout. We didn't buy out any other player that season. He was our only buyout since you have one per season. (ex. They had to trade Dwyer plus assets to Dallas for them to use their buyout on hin).

The question is whether our 2023 buyout has expired since we never used it. Do we still have it (plus our 2024 buyout) or do we only have our 2024 buyout left. Most of us are hoping our 2023 buyout can still be used in addition to our 2024 buyout. The question is can we buyout two players this offseason (one now for the 2023 buyout and one before next season for the 2024 buyout), or has the current year buyout expired.
    2023 offseason is "post season" so pretty sure they have until end of December to use it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe they are required to indicate in a press release that a buyout was used - I've yet to see a buyout not named as such.

Opaqeness going opaque of course....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That tracks. My bet is based on the feelings about how Bob was treated and his recent deferral of salary he wasn’t about to do any favours (nor would I expect him too).

The restructuring of his contract last year was a profoundly stupid move. If Manning wasn’t asleep at the switch he would have vetoed that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I believe they are required to indicate in a press release that a buyout was used - I've yet to see a buyout not named as such.

Opaqeness going opaque of course....
    I would have thought the same about designating someone a DP. And yet, nine months later, we find out the truth and they half-heartedly gaslight us by saying we all knew it was that way the whole time.

What we really need here is a reporter with some guts to put things on record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That tracks. My bet is based on the feelings about how Bob was treated and his recent deferral of salary he wasn’t about to do any favours (nor would I expect him too).

The restructuring of his contract last year was a profoundly stupid move. If Manning wasn’t asleep at the switch he would have vetoed that.
    I think you give Manning too much credit to think he'd veto it, I think it's the opposite. That move is absolutely classic Manning. Not only would I doubt he'd veto it, I'd be surprised if he wasn't pushing it. It fits a pattern we've seen consistently since 2019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I think you give Manning too much credit to think he'd veto it, I think it's the opposite. That move is absolutely classic Manning. Not only would I doubt he'd veto it, I'd be surprised if he wasn't pushing it. It fits a pattern we've seen consistently since 2019
    Burning the furniture to heat the house?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    So, something delayed, more or less as Molinari related.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$10 says Manning was waiting for Black Friday and someone had to tell him Canadians’ celebrate thanksgiving on a different date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait for Michael Singh to ask Bill Manning just how incredible he thinks Kobe Franklin and Coello are on a scale of 1-10 instead of asking a real question.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I havn't heard Singh at a presser in months....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I havn't heard Singh at a presser in months....
    I just went and checked Singh's Twitter feed and he rarely even mentions the team the past couple months. Honestly, the press conference might be dreadfully short. Molinaro looks to be the only one who covers them full time and he isn't usually one to throw out hard questions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I just went and checked Singh's Twitter feed and he rarely even mentions the team the past couple months. Honestly, the press conference might be dreadfully short. Molinaro looks to be the only one who covers them full time and he isn't usually one to throw out hard questions.
    Hmmm....its been mentioned by a few others and there were about 5 different voices on the last Herdman presser so we will see.

&

FWIW

Molinaro asked the "are you the right person to lead this forward" questions at Manning after BB was fired.

https://www.tfcrepublic.ca/bob-bradl...ls-toronto-fc/

It was remarked upon at the time in a thread here somewhere...Molinaro has lost his patience with things going on around TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was remarked upon at the time in a thread here somewhere...Molinaro has lost his patience with things going on around TFC.
    I think he got tired of idiots like me calling him a shill for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think he got tired of idiots like me calling him a shill for TFC.
    It's a good thing, to show humility. He gave them a lot of leeway, and they gave him answers that were clearly bullshit to placate a member of the media. I suspect he recognized in that moment that he was giving them too much credit for being honest and direct.

John is a good person who puts in effort. He just comes from TV, which can have a deeply limiting effect (due to image and time being prioritized over any depth) on how reporters learn to address covering beats.

The Sun used to love hiring former TV guys because they "wrote short", but often that was just editors who were shit, too, not recognizing that "summing things up quickly" is not really a strength in a comparatively long-form medium.