Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Looks like he's going to sign with Miami.
    Rumours of him and Suarez, as additions, to that club, might explain the latest set favourable odds that BetOnline has them at to win MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is so back, boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess this is a sign they're just going to pass on our re-entry pick if they're trading down. A third round pick in the entry draft is pretty useless too. Too bad we couldn't grab some 50k gam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The player Austin wanted with that pick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the draft I thought there was a fairly touted European Player that did the whole path of opting for ncaa after youth academy and he’s basically the midfield talisman/engine leader of the team and is a high pick expectation

Can’t remember the name - but if gressel is any indicator or even Coello in the later draft - some kid with euro academy pedigree followed by ncaa path isn’t a bad pathway, lower risk draft option.

Just can’t remember his name tho. Saw a preview a couple months ago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I guess this is a sign they're just going to pass on our re-entry pick if they're trading down. A third round pick in the entry draft is pretty useless too. Too bad we couldn't grab some 50k gam
    EDIT: Never mind, that's the third round pick, not third pick overall.

The draft has improved significantly in the last two or three years, as most of the college set now is going through academies first. But third round picks arent' usually going anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    EDIT: Never mind, that's the third round pick, not third pick overall.

The draft has improved significantly in the last two or three years, as most of the college set now is going through academies first. But third round picks arent' usually going anywhere.
    Would have been nice. We need ways to get value from somewhere as our budget isn’t going to provide much flex. Would not be surprised if we are still paying MB for the last year of his contract.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, that looks more like "Ok, who wants to do something with this roster option? You? Yeh, you better give us something just so it looks like an actual commodity"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chiellini's thoughts on Isigne and Berna:

Although the Italian centre-back legend and his Los Angeles FC squad fell 2-1 to the Columbus Crew in Saturday’s MLS Cup Final, Chiellini has very much enjoyed his stint in Major League Soccer since replacing the Italian Alps with the Hollywood Hills.

The same can’t be said for his compatriots Lorenzo Insigne and Federico Bernardeschi, who have struggled to make their mark on a poor Toronto FC side since the pair made their MLS debuts in July 2022.
    Speaking to The Athletic’s Elias Burke prior to Saturday’s MLS Cup final, Chiellini shared his thoughts on the TFC duo and where he thinks things have gone wrong for them.
    “I was lucky to be chosen by this club, and I was smart to come,” Chiellini said of his own move to LAFC.
    “They [Insigne and Bernardeschi] arrived in MLS with a lot of expectations, but unfortunately, for many reasons that I cannot know very well, they have not been able to show their value, and they’ve created this type of legacy with the team. I think it’s difficult in this type of season, and arriving in this position, because you start to bring what you’ve done on the field home with you. It’s not easy to separate these things.”
    Chiellini knows the pair well, having won EURO 2020 with the Azzurri alongside both Insigne and Bernardeschi. The Juventus legend also played with Bernardeschi for five seasons in Turin, claiming three Serie A titles and two Coppa Italia trophies together.
    He’s witnessed their quality firsthand and wants to see them both at their best in Toronto.
    “I hope they can redeem themselves in the future, but I don’t know what will happen next season,” Chiellini added. “They are good players, and in the right environment, and the right team, they could make a difference in this league.”
    Chiellini acknowledged that the duo’s struggles might be due to difficulties adjusting to a new culture, but he also suggested TFC’s style of play does not play to Insigne’s individual strengths. Chiellini looks at this year’s playoff champions in Columbus as a team that might better suit Insigne’s profile.
    “We’re not just players; we’re humans with families. It’s a big move from Italy to here,” Chiellini stated.
    “I think the style of play Lorenzo was encouraged to play in was very different to what suited him. Maybe if he was able to play that tiki-taka? Columbus would have been perfect because he could find a lot of short passes to find his spots. The style wasn’t right for him.”
    Meanwhile, as we heard from Bernardeschi himself during a recent interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, injuries have dampened Berna’s ability to impact games since signing on as a Red. Chiellini believes that his former Juve teammate has improved since apparently undergoing a “small surgery” after the 2022 campaign, but that months of poor results have taken their toll on his former teammate.
    “Federico had a small surgery at the end of last season; this season, he played better. But I think when you start to lose and lose and lose it’s very hard to lift the spirit.”
    At 39 years old, Chiellini has thought about bringing an end to his playing career, but for now, he’s leaving the door open for a return to LAFC next year. A similar uncertainty surrounds Toronto’s own Italian stars given some recent quotes and the potential for a rebuild at TFC. Will they be able to lift their spirits in 2024, or are they destined to be shipped off before they even get the chance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is dead, so here is a guys mock draft. Has us taking a Canadian winger.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    This thread is dead, so here is a guys mock draft. Has us taking a Canadian winger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szmDyebQPQ

highllights.

looks a good prospect and has attributes that are effective in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kimani Stewart-Baynes spent the year with HFX Wanderers of the Canadian Premier League on a development contract. He didn't play in any matches (probably since he was going to the NCAA and it would've ruined his eligibility), but means he has some experience with how the pro game works getting to train and possibly travel with a squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m hoping we do the obvious thing and choose the best, can’t miss, defender. We have the first pick, it’s what US colleges do best and it’s a position(s) of need.

Seems we often outsmart ourselves by picking the most upstanding college citizen who is not quite up to the level necessary to play in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone curious, we have Charlie Sharp's rights for another year, so the current NCAA top scorer may end up here. Not an every year occurrence that it turns into someone with enough quality to stick in the league, but he does seem highly regarded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doyle’s assessment:

First-Round Pick: No. 1

Needs: Center forward, center back, left back, right back, d-mid

TFC have already spent a lot of money, chances are this offseason they will spend a lot more, and it’s just not clear that they have more than a handful of starting-caliber MLS players at this point in their respective careers (and yes, I’m including the Italian DP duo in that assessment; they were awful last year).

They’ve got to get one here. It almost doesn’t matter at what spot – this team needs a productive, cost-controlled player who can help ease the disastrous cap issues.

Recent SuperDraft History: Luka Gavran, who they took in the second round in 2022, was one of the only pleasant surprises of 2023 for this team, as he was solid in his minutes in goal.

Other than that, the last six years have all been wasted picks or guys they cut bait on who went on to develop elsewhere (or place-kickers for the Dallas Cowboys).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC has no doubt that KSB (Kimani Stewart-Baynes) is the most talented player in this draft, I am absolutely fine with taking him. Not a position of need (currently) and profiles well as an MLS winger with his speed and agility. Added points for being Canadian as that makes fans feel good.

However, after seeing some video, reviewing MLS draft history and knowing our biggest need is down the middle, I personally believe the best choice for TFC is CB Pape Mar Boye.

Another guy who might be drafted much higher than anticipated is Nate Jones from Washington. Has a similar profile to Miles Robinson coming out of college.

In the end, we gotta just hope whoever we draft hits. None of us are NCAA soccer experts. The SuperDraft gets a lot of shit, but it is a very viable way of finding talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it shows what a crapshoot the MLS draft is when the MLS mock draft is so different than the other mock drafts. I lve seen ones that had us taking Marcus Caldeira #1, he's ranked 18 here. And KSB not even listed

https://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft...ick-in-round-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    For anyone curious, we have Charlie Sharp's rights for another year, so the current NCAA top scorer may end up here. Not an every year occurrence that it turns into someone with enough quality to stick in the league, but he does seem highly regarded.
    FWIW and IIUC from this evenings podcast, according to TTID/MSingh(?) TFC are ‘in discussions’ with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I guess it shows what a crapshoot the MLS draft is when the MLS mock draft is so different than the other mock drafts. I lve seen ones that had us taking Marcus Caldeira #1, he's ranked 18 here. And KSB not even listed

https://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft...ick-in-round-1
    The thing about this and me trolling on Twitter trying to find info on TFC and the draft is that I got messaged about the guy this person has slated to take number 2. Spicer allegedly (I personally have no confirmation on this) was brought to Toronto for a work out after the draft combine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

…However, after seeing some video, reviewing MLS draft history and knowing our biggest need is down the middle, I personally believe the best choice for TFC is CB Pape Mar Boye. Another guy who might be drafted much higher than anticipated is Nate Jones from Washington. Has a similar profile to Miles Robinson coming out of college...
    In agreement; a CB. Prefer Pape Mar Boye as well. However, either him or Nate Jones would be fine. Do not believe either will be around down the rounds until TFC’s next scheduled pick. If eligible and still available, Nikolas White may be that, an interesting, second round pick for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyrese Spicer? Winger? I suppose, especially if either of the superstars are departing or will be trialed extensively ‘in the hole’ in a Herdman preferred 3-5-2? Perhaps a sign that a lot of current secondary forward dead weight will be cut?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 12-18-2023 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely just me looking at this now, but the only MLS teams Spicer follows on Instagram are TFC and DCU. He also follows Bernie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely just me looking at this now, but the only MLS teams Spicer follows on Instagram are TFC and DCU. He also follows Bernie.
    His reel is awfully good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was there a GA class announced?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JH having to talk down BM from "I'm sure if we just send him a video from Insigne...."

#1 picks should not be maybes - leave that for somebody as a later in the round "taking my shot" thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm… because he feared going to FC Hollywood North?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a tricky asset.

Part of me (a big part) really wants Hernandez to trade the pick. We are children amongst grownups in this. We don’t have the infrastructure, and he doesn't have the experience, to give one any confidence that they can hit on this.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”